Print Thread
B
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
B
NFL Draft's first round moves to Thursday night for 2010

National Football League

The NFL Draft will kick off in prime time for the first time in 2010, it was announced Thursday. The first round of the 2010 NFL Draft will start on Thursday, April 22 at 7:30 p.m. ET with the second and third rounds on Friday, April 23 at 6:30 p.m. ET followed by Rounds 4-7 on Saturday, April 24 at 10 a.m. ET.

The draft will continue to be televised by ESPN and NFL Network. The 2010 NFL Draft -- the 75th draft in NFL history -- will again be held at Radio City Music Hall in New York.

"We continue to look for ways to make the draft more accessible to more fans," said Commissioner Roger Goodell. "Moving the first round to prime time on Thursday night will make the first round of the draft available to fans on what is typically the most-watched night of television."

The 2009 NFL Draft (Saturday, April 25-Sunday, April 26) drew a record 39 million viewers on NFL Network, ESPN and ESPN2. Total NFL Draft viewership increased 66 percent from 2001 to 2009 (from 23.5 million to 39 million).

The first round of last year's draft on ESPN and NFL Network drew a combined average of 6.3 million viewers, topping all basketball, hockey and baseball games that weekend.

The NFL Draft was a Saturday-Sunday event from 1995-2009. It took place on Sunday-Monday from 1988-94 and prior to 1988 was held on one or two weekdays

NFL.com

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

"We continue to look for ways to milk as much money as we can from the draft," said Commissioner Roger Goodell.

Fixed it for ya.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
While that's true, I don't see any harm in it. More people will watch with the new format.......which equals more money. No reason to turn down money if it's there to take.

That's going to be one long weekend though.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
B
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
B
Thank goodness for DVRs

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Absolutely stupid.

you had a good run Hank.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

"We continue to look for ways to milk as much money as we can from the draft," said Commissioner Roger Goodell.

It's televised on ESPN and NFL Network.. if they have to pay the NFL more revenue for this format, I don't really care. I'm still watching it for free.
Fixed it for ya.

yebat' Putin
L
Legend
Legend
L
Quote:

Quote:

Fixed it for ya.

LoL, pretty much. A lot of people will be getting drunk twice that day. They'll have to be more brisk if they go PT...I'd bet that after the first round (maybe even before then) TV viewership will drop. But it does now anyway for the most part... I stop watching after we pick in the first round, and then monitor Dawgtalkers to see who we drafted in the 2nd and beyond.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
And with pick number 32 the Cleveland Browns select........

Joe Thomas #73
E
Legend
Legend
E
"Moving the first round to prime time on Thursday night will make the first round of the draft available to fans on what is typically the most-watched night of television."

Its the most watched night of TV cause all the best shows are on - Viewing is going to be cut down considerably - well either that or Divorce rates will be going up...

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
C
Legend
Legend
C
I am excited about this.

Watching the whole 1st and 2nd rounds of the draft in one day can be pretty tedious at times. With the way they split it up it should be much easier to watch.

And if nothing else, it means the draft will be a couple days earlier so we all don't have to wait as long for it.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think this is stupid. I won't head to the bar like I would on a Saturday around noon. This will probably hurt bar owners and beer sales more than anything.

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
Legend
Legend
Thank you NFL for screwing up my drafts in the future. I have always taken draft weekend off to watch the entire draft. Now with it being on Thursday night, Friday night, and saturday, I will be extremely lucky to see two or three hours of the entire draft.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
I always took off for the draft too... I enjoyed taking off on Saturday to just chill and drink beer.. and watch to see who my favorite team will draft...

I don't particularly like this new format... but I can't do anything about it... so.. I guess I will be watching the draft over 3 days now...

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Quote:

We traded back AGAIN ?

"Just gotta Coach em up" , "I thought they Battled" , " I need to watch the tape"
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

We traded back AGAIN ?

No we actually moved up 1 pick from the 2nd round

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Geez.. this is gonna hammer my annual draft party with CapitalGG

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
U
All Pro
All Pro
U
Eh, this doesn't effect me much. I'll make time to watch it whenever it is.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Mr. Goodell, this is simply brilliant. Going head to head with many of the highest rated shows on television is a sure fire ratings boost for the Draft. And killing virtually every draft party? Pure genius. Now, only the die hard draftnics will tune in. I'll bet your advertisers are pissing themselves in glee.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Wow, I don't like this at all.

Personally I enjoy heading to CBS for their draft party - now when will the part be? For a couple hours on a Thurs night?

Not a fan of this change at all...

[Linked Image from i45.tinypic.com]
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
j/k

For me personnely, I like it, I've missed alot of drafts due to other things on Saturday afternoons, & being inside on a nice late April day after having been pinned up all winter is crazy for me.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm used to the NBA draft on Thursday night..not the NFL draft..Friday night draft..ugh...
Saturday at 10am????

Afternoon people...not morning.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B

this was an idiotic idea.
Yes, thursday is a big night for television- thank CBS and CSI for that one. I think the ratings for the draft are going to take a huge hit. Friday night might have made some sense, thursday night is just a bad idea- most need to work the next day.

The only thing possibly good about this is teams can have their draft party on saturday and introduce the 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Thank goodness for DVRs

Amen to that.

The answer to every single person complaining about possibly missing anything.

F
Legend
Legend
F
Quote:

No reason to turn down money if it's there to take.

When our government does this, we complain.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
J
Legend
Legend
J

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
This sucks.

I heart winning
G
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
G
Think this will hurt the ratings, particularly out West. I don't picture myself rushing home from work and turning on the TV. It'll be like Monday night football, it is usually around the start of the 3rd quarter when I usually get around to sitting in front of the TV in the evening. Guess I am talking myself into liking it, I'll catch the last half hour of it on Thursday night and miss most of the BS.

Legend
Legend
Some of us CAN'T rush home from work. I never get home on Thursdays before 8:30 and many Thursday nights it's 10, 11, or 12 before I get home.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Not fond of this, but with the DVR it doesn't really matter all that much. However, it was nice to sit and watch the draft on Saturdays...

Can't imaging the draftees will care all that much for the new format as most will now have to sit in suspense for an extra day.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The Office, 30 Rock, Bones, Fringe, Survivor, CSI are all on Thursdays according to my TV Guide. Those shows are some of the most popular on TV and cover pretty much every demographic. I guess the NFL can settle for being either DVRd or watched on commercials because no one is going to sit there for 4 hours of one pick, commercial break, one pick, commercial break.

Just a stupid move IMO.

[Linked Image from i190.photobucket.com]
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

Geez.. this is gonna hammer my annual draft party with CapitalGG

That was exactly what I was thinking.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I agree with purpl meself. Milk this cow till it dies of exhaustion. This will REALLY dog our draft day party because of work and late night rounds taking forever. But loyal fans are swept away again so NFL serves itself. Hope it works out, but remember the loyalists, fans been with you for years, Panning for gold (new audience) among strangers is risky. Settle the NFL channel thing for all of us on cable who say nyet to the dish. But until we get a l cart choices versus the monopoly industry here, we will just be dictated to, ignored, and over=charged.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum NFL Draft Going to Primetime in 2010

Link Copied to Clipboard