Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#399726 07/26/09 07:35 AM
Rookie
OP Offline
Rookie
http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/articl...eal+with+Browns

Former University of Hawaii defensive end David Veikune has signed a four-year, $3.5-million deal with the Cleveland Browns.
Advertisement

Veikune, who was drafted in the second round and will be converted to outside linebacker, will receive $1.8-million in guarantees.

Veikune's signing capped a busy last few days for the Browns, who open training camp Aug. 1.

Earlier today, the Browns reached a deal with their No. 1 pick, California center Alex Mack, who was picked No. 21 overall.

Yesterday, they signed former Baldwin star and USC linebacker Kaluka Maiava, the team's fourth-round pick.

Veikune, listed at 6 feet 2 and 257 pounds, was picked 52nd overall in the April NFL draft.

He had 16 sacks in his final two college seasons, including nine his senior year. The Browns indicated that they will probably move Veikune to outside linebacker in the team's 3-4 defense.

Veikune was born in Alaska to a military family. He also lived in Arizona and New Mexico before settling in Hawaii.

On draft day, Browns General Manager George Kokinis said on their Web site that Veikune "is a guy we did some homework on. He's got a big-time motor. When you look at the tape the thing really jumps out is the way he finished plays and ran to the football. He can get to the quarterback."

"I love the guy's motor," head coach Eric Mangini is quoted on the team's Web site. "He has toughness, aggressiveness and I like his ability to change direction. There's a smoothness to the way he changes directions."

In Mack, the Browns have an All-American who was awarded the Draddy Trophy in 2008, given to college football's top scholar-athlete and was a two-time Rimington Trophy finalist, given to the nation's top center.

He did not allow any sacks or quarterback pressures on 397 pass plays as a senior in 2008.

Mack was the Pac-10's Scholar-Athlete of the Year in 2008 and was a four-time league academic honor roll honoree.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Things are looking good, signings seem to be moving right along.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
After hearing about exchanges of offers by the Browns and Veikune I figured we'd hear about this signing this morning.

Robiskie and/or the other one (still don't know how to spell his name or pronounce it) should come in today and tommorrow. Everyone's coming to camp

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
excellent, that leaves MoMass and Robiskie. These two should be signing deals very similiar to each other.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Hopefully, Vekiune can step in and make some contributions right away.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
So that leaves Mass and Robo as the only guys that aren't on the field as of today.

Does thier not signing yet say anything about us being receiver poor without them? I mean, maybe they feel as if they are more prized than if we had a full complement of viable receivers?

Ahh, probably not, but just wondering.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
R
All Pro
All Pro
R
I read somehwere that the Browns have earliest Rookie reporting cshedule in the NFL. Im not too worried as of today about Robo and Mass's contract, but if we are having this conversation next Sunday, its time to start getting concerned...

Yes I do think the early schedule is a negotiating ploy, but I do think that Mangini wants the young guys in practicing early...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Im too worried as of today about Robo and Mass's contract, but if we are having this conversation next Sunday, its time to start getting concerned...

I'm with you. I'd like Robo and MoMass (someone used this one today, I kind of like it) to be in before the veterans come, that's for sure. But the sooner, the better. This is all vital time with the coaches that they're missing. At least one of those guys is going to be thrown the ball consistently this year. People are right in saying that our receiving core is weak. In fact, as of right now we have one guy who intimidates our opponents. Edwards, who thankfully we kept on our team this year. This whole offense is going to have to get together in camp and find some chemistry. We need all our WRs to be the best they can be, because the right side of the line is weak and Jamal Lewis is not the runningback he used to be.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Legend
Legend
If we become a run heavy offense.. then this "holdout" could take a minute..

The Browns do need WR's to stretch the defense... but at the same time... We have a few vets on our roster now...

although it is obvious that Robo and MoMass would come in and contribute ASAP!!

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
I knew that we were the first to require the rookies to report,, What I was wondering is if Robo and Mass are using the weakness in our Receiving corps to extract an extra buck...

Like I said, probably not, just wondering.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
If their holdout becomes a protracted one, then they just hurt themselves .... much as Quinn did a couple of years back. With the opportunity to fight for a starting job from day 1, a few dollars here or there should be entirely secondary.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't think it's a matter of them holding out. It sounded like last week they hadn't even started negotiations yet. I'm sure they have by now.

That being said, bring in the ballboy!!!

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
R
All Pro
All Pro
R
IMO, I think its the Agents posturing.....

The Agents know we have a weakeness there..( ESPN is all over the Stallworth thing, and doesnt even mention the browns in the offseason preview) Id like to think Robiskie is a good Ohio Kid (and despite what Ammo says I think he is)

Lets face it MoMass is more like a Q.M. type of WR then any WR drafted in the last 4 years...and I bet is agent knows this

regradless IMO this will be a mute pt by the end of the week with both guys gettin inc3entive based contracts......

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
sweet

LET'S GO BROWNS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[Linked Image]
[b]WOOF WOOF[b]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Yes I do think the early schedule is a negotiating ploy, but I do think that Mangini wants the young guys in practicing early...

No doubt that he wants to get as early a start as possible, but I doubt that it was just negotiating ploy, though they may have used it as leverage.

The Collective Bargaining Agreement specifies when teams can open camps the Full Squad, and it is specified as no sooner than 15 days prior to their first preseason game (plus one day for physicals). Our first game is Aug. 15th. Which puts camp opening pretty much right at Aug 1. with them likely reporting the day before for physicals and them getting right into a Two-a-Day on the 1st.

As for the rookies, the CBA states that a team that hires a new Head Coach at the end of the previous season has no limit on the number of Mandatory Minicamps that he can hold for Rookies, but limits it to 1 for veterand (plus 2 additional Optional Minicamps). My guess is that Mangini just chose to have another week of Rookie Minicamp to get them extra time and get them into the swing of an NFL camp. The veterans already know what to expect, the Rookies don't... so the extra week is invaluable to having them in the swing of things by the time the veterans report.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

If their holdout becomes a protracted one, then they just hurt themselves .... much as Quinn did a couple of years back. With the opportunity to fight for a starting job from day 1, a few dollars here or there should be entirely secondary.

Bingo, right there !! Except the definition of a "few dollars" will be the sticking point--and at this much moolah, it shouldn't.

It how these windbags measure personal ego, and then themselves against each other,..."HaHaHa, I make more than you do (even though I'm still a loser and don't contribute,...)

On point, good for Veikune--Outstanding There, YOU !!

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns sign Veikune

Link Copied to Clipboard