Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Ref locked part 1...

Quote:

He threw a nice ball over the middle that led second-year tight end Paul Hubbard. Near the goal line, he almost hit a pass to Paul Hubbard at the back of the end zone, but cornerback Gerard Lawson tipped it away.

Paul Hubbard is a TE?? lol..

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
N
Legend
Legend
N
well, he is a pretty big guy....if Rucker isn't stepping up, why not line him up there from time to time (not sure how he'd deal with DE's chipping him, but that is what preseason is for)

also, big thanks to Ammo, Deep and all the others giving their firsthand impressions of camp. Very grateful since many of us cannot make it out there.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

also, big thanks to Ammo, Deep and all the others giving their firsthand impressions of camp. Very grateful since many of us cannot make it out there.

Right on! I am just starving for as much info as I can get right now on the Browns, so every little bit helps!

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Whats peoples opinion on the STO coverage of camp? I try to watch each night at 1030.. but I'll note that it's hard to get a sense of whats going on. More of a rah rah fluff piece kind of reporting.

Seems like they have all these feature the player stuff rather than showing me who beat who.. who performed and who didn't etc..

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Whats peoples opinion on the STO coverage of camp? I try to watch each night at 1030.. but I'll note that it's hard to get a sense of whats going on. More of a rah rah fluff piece kind of reporting.

Seems like they have all these feature the player stuff rather than showing me who beat who.. who performed and who didn't etc..

Could be Mangini driven.

H
1st String
1st String
H
linky

Browns notes: Long shot Titus Brown is confident
Scott Petrak

BEREA — A dark-horse candidate is more than keeping up with the favorites in the battle to start opposite Kamerion Wimbley at outside linebacker.

Titus Brown, whose NFL resume consists of four games and one special teams tackle last year, lined up with the first-team defense again Wednesday morning. He’s splitting reps with veteran David Bowens and second-year pro Alex Mack in what looks like a wide-open competition.

“I think I’m able to contribute to this team a lot,” Brown said between practices. “Whatever Coach decides, that’s what goes.”

Brown was second-team All-Southeastern Conference as a junior and senior at Mississippi State, but went undrafted in 2008. Miami signed him as a free agent, cut him and the Browns signed him to the practice squad in September. He was promoted to the active roster Nov. 26.

“Cleveland gave me a call, I came and the rest is going to be history, I guess,” he said.

Brown is a specimen at 6-foot-3, 250 pounds. He beat veteran tackle George Foster (6-5, 338) in a one-on-one pass-rushing drill Wednesday.

“He’s done some real nice things in the running game and he’s been stout against the tight ends,” coach Eric Mangini said. “There’s definitely more work he needs to do in terms of understanding the whole concept of the defense, but I’m encouraged by the way he’s approaching it.

“I like his work ethic, I like the physical things I’ve seen and as he keeps plugging along he’ll keep improving.”

Brown said being around the team last year is a big help, even though the coaching staff has changed. The four games of limited special teams duty also allowed him to get his feet wet.

“I’m just ready to get on the real grass now,” he said.

Brown spends most of his time over the tight end and said pass coverage is a strength. He can also rush the passer, as shown by his 7½ sacks as a junior in college and eight as a senior.

The next hurdle for him will be mastering the intricacies of the Mangini-Rob Ryan defense.

“You have to be a real smart person to play on this team, period,” Brown said. “That’s why Coach Mangini stresses being intelligent. It’s a good scheme for us.”
‘D’ makes a stand

The defense ended the morning practice with a show of strength.

The offense ran six plays from the 2-yard line and the defense stopped them on five. The lone score was a play-action pass from Brady Quinn to fullback Lawrence Vickers.

“We did exceptionally well,” Brown said. “I messed up one time and they got a TD there.”

Running back Jamal Lewis was stuffed on a run up the middle, then dropped for a 5-yard loss by nose tackle Shaun Rogers and linebacker Eric Barton on an outside run. Derek Anderson tried a bootleg but was met at the 3-yard line, and rookie running back James Davis was stopped on a run off tackle to the right. On the final play, Anderson was sacked by end Corey Williams.

“We had a good practice and the goal line showed we wanted to end on a good note, and we did,” safety Brodney Pool said.

The drill was live, so the ball carrier was taken to the ground, unless he was a quarterback.

“Anytime you can get a competitive drill, the tempo is heightened,” Mangini said. “They were excited and you felt it across the board.”
Dynamic duo

Hall of Famers Jim Brown and Paul Warfield addressed the team Tuesday night. Both have roles in the organization — Brown as an executive adviser and Warfield as a senior adviser to the general manager – and have been watching practice.

“Talk about two powerful, dynamic speakers that can not just capture a room, but share wisdom,” Mangini said. “It’s such a great thing for me as a head coach to have guys like that so close to the organization to be able to talk to and share their thoughts. They’ve got a wealth of knowledge.”

Mangini was asked if today’s players know Brown and Warfield and their legacies.

“Unless they were living under a rock,” he said. “Yeah, it was understood. When they walked into the room, silence came over the room.

“It’s a great way to teach them how important it is to appreciate the history.”
Camp schedule

The Browns released the second part of the training camp schedule.

They don’t practice Monday, practice twice Tuesday (8:45-10:45 a.m., 5:45-7:45 p.m.) and once Wednesday (1:30-3:30 p.m.) and Thursday (1:30-3:30 p.m.). They are off Friday, play Saturday night in Green Bay and are off Sunday.

The schedule for the following week will be released next Wednesday.
Extra points

* Receiver David Patten and safety Mike Adams rode the stationary bikes. Fullback Charles Ali and cornerback Don Carey remain absent. Outside linebacker David Bowens returned to practice.
* Rookie receiver Mohamed Massaquoi made a nice grab of a pass thrown behind him by Quinn.
* Rookie cornerback Coye Francies intercepted Quinn in the end zone.

Camp notes

* News of the day: Receiver Braylon Edwards made his much-anticipated return to practice after missing four days. He quickly made the best catch of camp. The morning practice ended with a goal-line drill, dominated by the defense.
* Camper of the day: Edwards. He reminded everyone that he’s the offense’s most talented player, with the possible exception of left tackle Joe Thomas. Edwards brings an energy – it’s not always positive – and his presence gave life to an otherwise routine morning practice.
* Plays of the day: On back-to-back passes in a one-on-one drill in the evening session, Brady Quinn complete deep balls. The first was a fly to Joshua Cribbs, followed by a post to Edwards.
* Quote of the day: “Speed that up for me.” — Quinn, to a group of cameramen videotaping an agility drill.
* Point of interest: Nose tackle Shaun Rogers is one of a kind. He flashed his rare athletic ability, bursting through the line to put pressure on Quinn and later beating center Alex Mack and right guard Ryan Tucker to drop Jamal Lewis for a 5-yard loss in a goal-line drill. He also showed his unique personality after jumping offsides. He didn’t jog his penalty lap, rather speedwalking to the delight of the crowd. He pumped his arms vigorously, but his legs barely moved. He responded to the fans’ cheers with a double salute.
* Today’s schedule: One practice, from 1:30-3:30 p.m. Call (877) 627-6967 for updates.

H
1st String
1st String
H
Quote:

I watched the first one when I was back in ohio. There was almost 0 video of the drills, and most of it was Grossi, Dieken and Donanvan (i believe) giving their opinions on dead horse issues.

Living in Iowa and not having access to STO I came away knowing that I am not missing much.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
In related news, NFL experts and gurus expect Rogers to complete his lap before the Browns October 25th date with Green Bay. Browns coaches are optimistic he'll be cleared to play after his lap.

SaintDawg™

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Titus Brown, whose NFL resume consists of four games and one special teams tackle last year, lined up with the first-team defense again Wednesday morning. He’s splitting reps with veteran David Bowens and second-year pro Alex Mack in what looks like a wide-open competition.

Now that's some talent! We draft him as a rookie center, and now we're playing him as a second-year linebacker!

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Now that's some talent! We draft him as a rookie center, and now we're playing him as a second-year linebacker!

Wow, time flies.. 2nd year pro eh?

SaintDawg™

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Quote:

He’s splitting reps with veteran David Bowens and second-year pro Alex Mack in what looks like a wide-open competition.

Man, when we drafted Mack I didn't realize he was THAT versatile. Not only can he play center and linebacker, he somehow managed to already play a season without us knowing

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Titus Brown looked, to me when I was there, like he had some very good pass rush moves.

Wouldn't be surprised if he did make the team.

On a side note, I'm getting to training camp today so hopefully I can give you guys some reports a little later today.

you had a good run Hank.
S
2nd String
2nd String
S
This question is for anyone that has been to camp or will be going shortly.

I would like to know how Mangini and/or Daboll are responding to the players. Specifically, is Mangini or Daboll consoling DA when he gets into his funk or are they being extremely difficult on him?

We read alot of the laps that are being run, but how is the coaching staff handling the qbs misques?

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I don't think they would be consoling anyone...

I see Brodney Pool got a quote in the article above... first time I heard mention of his name..

Legend
Legend
Quote:

On the final play, Anderson was sacked by end Corey Williams.

I don't remember williams being mentioned any other time so far in camp. expect by those that were wondering why he wasn't mentioned....

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

More of a rah rah fluff piece kind of reporting.

Yup, that seems to be what that show is all about,, still, it's fun to watch because the Browns are the topic

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

This question is for anyone that has been to camp or will be going shortly.

I would like to know how Mangini and/or Daboll are responding to the players. Specifically, is Mangini or Daboll consoling DA when he gets into his funk or are they being extremely difficult on him?

We read alot of the laps that are being run, but how is the coaching staff handling the qbs misques?

The have basicly three offenses - call them A,B, & C." "A" gets it's turn- the play clock is running the whole time - they snap - run the play and -boom- they are off the field and the "B" group is lining up - play clock reset and running - and so on. All of this is taking place under the eyes of three cameras on towers or the building tops.

After 10-15 minutes of this the horn sounds and they rotate stations. It appears that the station immediately following is inside the building (I'm guessing a classroom/film room) as the "skills" players disappear inside. A Browns "lackey" sprints from camera tower to tower collecting a card/tape of the ten minute session that just ended.

He collects one from each camera tower and then sprints into the building. My guess is that they immediately debrief and review right there and then with the video in front of them.

So most of the reactions your asking about aren't seen by the fans or media to report on.

While the "O" is back in class the "D" is out doing the same thing under the cameras. When the horn sounds the "sprinter" makes his rounds collecting the new "D" film and the D disappears.

Hope that answers you question at least to a degree. On the field there is very little evaluation, coorection, or consoling due to the designed lightning pace.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

A Browns "lackey" sprints from camera tower to tower collecting a card/tape of the ten minute session that just ended.

He collects one from each camera tower and then sprints into the building.

When the horn sounds the "sprinter" makes his rounds collecting the new "D" film and the D disappears.

and here I was wondering what Quincy Morgan was doing these days.....did he "drop" any of the tapes during his runs?

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

That's basically it. I want more action and observations, like we get here. Agree with ya Saint.

BUT.......

It's still Browns football, and I eat of every second of it regardless.

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

There's not much real coverage. In my opinion it's a show devoted to the fans who are not so deeply into it as we are. We are hungry for some real inside info but what the show offers is a very light overview of what we already know. They talk about issues but don't pretend to get to the crux of any of them.

It's also kind of an introduction to the team and some of the players as they show a few 30 second interviews in which nothing is really said that is of any interest to the likes of most of us.

For me, the best part is whatever Sam is saying. He doesn't get to elaborate on any of his statements for lack of time but every show he makes a comment that is classic Sam.

And no, it's not Mangini driven as someone mentioned above. It's the exact same format and exact same content that it was last year. Jim Donovan, one excitable boy, tries to make everything sound urgent and important, Tony Grossi talks with an air as though he thinks that at any moment he himself will say something truly insightful and this just might be that moment, but it never is, Doug Dieken smiles it all off like an old vet while he adds his quip and Sam is the comic relief. He says the most insightful things but always with a mischievous smile that leaves you wondering if he'd just pulled your leg.

You see some film of camp action but can't really discern anything from any of it as it is short clips that have no beginning and have no end. I did see Davis run for a long TD and it was probably one that was "reported" in the articles we've read on here. However, for the last 25 yards a DB was running right beside him jawing at him and gave him a slight push just before he crossed the goal line. The DB probably could have dropped him at the 35 but chose instead to run along jawing. Probably something like, "You better get some wheels baby. I could have dropped you 20 yards ago". Then we read the report in the paper that says Davis made a nice cut back and went in for a 70 yard TD. (That's why I put ZERO credence to any of the camp reports from the media, but I still like to hear 'em).

The show has no content save Sam but darn it I record every one and watch every second of it because we've got the Browns in uniform and on the field and the hosts are people we all know and talking Browns. Frankly I can't get enough of it.

#gmstrong
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
I know. I eat it up despite reading everything I can find. I come to this site first thing every morning and it's the last thing I do every night...

It's ridiculous how much I love this team. I work retail and am not available Sundays during football season just to watch the Browns. I can't decide whether that's a good thing or really really sad.

"I don't remember any of my catches. I remember the drops." - Kellen Winslow II
N
Rookie
Rookie
N
Buccaneers | Morris calls out Winslow
Comment (0)
Thu, 06 Aug 2009 16:29:02 -0700

Charlie Campbell, of PewterReport.com, reports Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Raheem Morris called out TE Kellen Winslow during his press conference Thursday, Aug. 6. Morris said, "Kellen Winslow, and I talked about this to the team so there is not talking behind the team's back, but Kellen Winslow catches a pass. He is hyped up and gets the crowd going. He throws it down behind his back, spin it, flip it, and gets the crowd relied up. Then he drops one, puts his head down, and walks back to the huddle. That is part of riding the emotional roller coaster that we don't want to do. You have to be the same no matter what." Morris added, "Oh, he's definitely talented, but I'm also starting to get an idea of the problems he's had. But I think it's the first time anyone has ever addressed him, talked to him about it."

[Linked Image from members.core.com][Linked Image from 3dflags.com]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

We are hungry for some real inside info but what the show offers is a very light overview of what we already know.

True enough... but with Mangini and Kokinis,, I doubt we get anything.. I mean, other than what we will see on the field.. No real inside stuff... The seem to have shut that place down like a secret bunker with war plans hidden inside......

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
L
Legend
Legend
L
Quote:

Comment (0)

Charlie Campbell, of PewterReport.com, reports Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Raheem Morris called out TE Kellen Winslow during his press conference Thursday, Aug. 6. Morris said, "Kellen Winslow, and I talked about this to the team so there is not talking behind the team's back, but Kellen Winslow catches a pass. He is hyped up and gets the crowd going. He throws it down behind his back, spin it, flip it, and gets the crowd relied up. Then he drops one, puts his head down, and walks back to the huddle. That is part of riding the emotional roller coaster that we don't want to do. You have to be the same no matter what." Morris added, "Oh, he's definitely talented, but I'm also starting to get an idea of the problems he's had. But I think it's the first time anyone has ever addressed him, talked to him about it."

Interesting comment... directly from the HC down in Tampa.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Looks like Don Carey was cut...as a FYI

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

Looks like Don Carey was cut...as a FYI

Are u serious?? wow...

thats one drafted pick gone already... not even PS?

from Cleveland.com

Quote:

Roster move: The Browns signed defensive back Brandon Anderson of the University of Akron. Anderson was waived by the Colts on July 31.

To make room, the team waived/injured rookie cornerback Don Carey, who has been out all week with a shoulder injury. If Carey clears waivers, the Browns can re-sign him and place him on the injured reserve list for the season. Camp bits: Mike Furrey, who is engaged in a competition with David Patten and others for a receiver roster spot, shook off an injury to his left shoulder in a one-on-one blocking drill against safety Hamza Abdullah and returned for team drills after spending time with trainers and the team physician. . . . When Rex Hadnot went down with a knee injury, he was replaced at left guard by Isaac Sowells.

Last edited by HotBYoungTurk; 08/06/09 08:21 PM.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Yes that is a bit strange to cut a draft pick so early.
Maybe he had an 'off-field' issue.... and wasn't impressive enough to warrant a longer look. Maybe anything...... who knows?

gmstrong

-----------------

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Quote:

Comment (0)

Interesting comment... directly from the HC down in Tampa.

I think the root of that comment is two-fold:

1) RAC was too much of a wussie (nice word for what I'm thinking) to ever call out his players. That isn't news to anyone.

2) Morris is a ...-sure kid of a coach who, like most coaches, thinks they can control everyone and every situation. So since he think Winslow has never been talked to based on his actions, he probably isn't wise enough yet to understand that he can't control Winslow, and that said actions are what got him in trouble in Miami, and in trouble in Cleveland. Oh yeah, now in trouble in Tampa too

Get used to it, Coach. Your idiotic organization just justified all his behavior by rewarding him with a HUGE contract that'll keep him there probably longer than your own tenure will last.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Quote:

Yes that is a bit strange to cut a draft pick so early.
Maybe he had an 'off-field' issue.... and wasn't impressive enough to warrant a longer look. Maybe anything...... who knows?

news blurb said he was hurt, i'm assuming nobody will pick him up and he'll end up on the injured reserve list to develop.

I like what I hear about davis, i'd be really cool to find a jem that late in the draft.

We're trying to throw the ball downfield and he checked the ball down to Trent Richardson and the Indians on the choice.
L
Legend
Legend
L
RAC was too gentle... plus KW2 being high-maintenance and he's a strong personality... both factors when combined are not always a good mix, esp. when added to all the other car wreck situations with Winslow & the Browns since 2004.

I still love KW2 for his play and his heart.

gmstrong

-----------------

S
2nd String
2nd String
S
Quote:

Hope that answers you question at least to a degree. On the field there is very little evaluation, coorection, or consoling due to the designed lightning pace.

Excellant. Thank you.

I guess this type of training camp is exactly what to be expected. Glad to hear about the quick pace of camp.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
You bet .

Based on what I've seen - I think you can forget our customary "don't know the play - don't know where to line up" delay of game penalties. Seemingly every play is run on the play clock.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Quote:

We are hungry for some real inside info but what the show offers is a very light overview of what we already know.

Quote:

True enough... but with Mangini and Kokinis,, I doubt we get anything.. I mean, other than what we will see on the field.. No real inside stuff... The seem to have shut that place down like a secret bunker with war plans hidden inside......

It is the exact same show as it was last year. There's no difference, no influence from the HC or GM in keeping things quiet. The show is designed for the average fan. It's not meant to be an in depth study of anything. It's appealing to the masses, not to the rabid die hards like us. I still like the show but there's never been any heavy content to it from it's beginning.

#gmstrong
R
All Pro
All Pro
R
update

August 7 9:23 ET A group of female teenage camp attendees with a familiar cry to Browns QB Brady Quinn: "We love you, Brady!"

August 7 9:17 ET Both WRs Paul Hubbard and Josh Cribbs dropped easy catches. Hubbard has been inconsistent throughout camp.

August 7 9:16 ET Browns RB Jamal Lewis, who will be trying to squeeze out another 1,000-yard season, bolted through the line for a long gain early in game simulation.

link

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:

...When Rex Hadnot went down with a knee injury, he was replaced at left guard by Isaac Sowells...

What do you guys think is going on with Steinbach?

I say this because I have read where Hadnot has been with the 1s...he goes down for a bit and Sowells takes his place?

I'm no OL expert, but I thought Steiny was/is a good-to-very good LG.

Trade winds blowing here?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'd be lying if I said I was keeping up with TC, but Steinbach is probably playing LG, and Hadnot was probably playing RG...

R
All Pro
All Pro
R
update

August 7 10:42 ET The majority of "punishment laps" throughout camp have been run by Browns OL for jumping offside and committing other mental mistakes.

August 7 10:36 ET Browns special teams coach Brad Seely expressed his satisfaction with his group's kickoff coverage, yelling "Good ... Real good!" on successive plays.

August 7 10:34 ET Pass blocking, which was one of few Browns strengths a year ago, has been solid throughout camp.

August 7 10:30 ET Browns rookie RB James Davis continues to make his presence felt. He hauled in a pass from Brady Quinn and faked out two defenders for a long gain in game simulation.

August 7 10:25 ET Joe Thomas and Eric Steinbach have been lining up consistently on the left side of the OL with the first team today. The loss of Rex Hadnot to injury might solidify Steinbach as the starter at LG.

glad to hear about Steiny... The OL being undisciplined is not a shock, Romeo must have ran a country club in TC last year

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Just guessing here

Stieny has been knicked up the last couple of years maybe understanding he's a vet, dont know. steiny isnt really a Mangini type Olinemen from what I hear, but Steiny did bulk up during the offseason, To me I know Mangini wants all his guards & centersto know all three positions, He said last year opening day for the Jets they lost a Guard and it messed up all the work that was done in training camp and set thier running game back 4-5 weeks.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Not so at all. Steiny and Hadnot had been sharing reps at left guard.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Hmmm....

Like I said, I haven't been paying attention. Not real excited about watching another 5 win season

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum **Post Camp Reports Here II**

Link Copied to Clipboard