Next Thread
Print Thread
#405012 08/13/09 01:19 PM
K
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
K
We still have 4 weeks for NFL and 3 weeks for NCAA but high school football is just about to kick-off here in Ohio. This is by far the best time of the year and I can't wait to bask under those Friday Night Lights. Only instead of strapping on a helmet and shoulder pads, I now stand on the sideline with a headset and wristband. It's the next best thing to being out there. Just curious what team everyone follows and who everyone thinks is gonna be the teams to watch this year. I live in Columbus now with a new allegiance but I still bleed Scarlet & Gray for my Mentor Cardinals !!

Follow me on Twitter <a href="link" target="_blank">http://twitter.com/CoachA12</a>
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Well this will be my second football season in Rootstown soI am still getting to know the team. Last year we were pretty bad,we only won two games all year. This year will be the new coaches second year so I am interested to see what kind of progress he has made.

I work nights and last year during football season I was only able to make one game,this year our schedule is different so I am off Friday nights so I will go to most of them. I will tell you what,after having moved from the city,small town friday night lights is totally different. It is awesome. Its like the who town shuts down and everyone is there,and everybody knows everybody. Its cool.

KING

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
My nephews 95lb and under team is playing this Sunday

he still has a couple pounds to lose but they did go undefeated last year until they lost in the SB. First 95lb and under in the district to go undefeated. But they pulled a NE Patriots and lost the game that counts the most to a team they beat twice in the regular season. They run the wildcat most of the time.

Legend
Legend
My nephew plays for North Royalton, so I'll probably get out to a game or two of his. And, living near the Canton area, I try to get to a few games every year just because people really get into it around here.

I also try to find a good game in the Cleveland-Youngstown-Akron-Canton area that I look forward to. For example, a St. Ed's vs. Elder, or Ignatius vs. St. Xavier, or something like that.

And, I always go to a few playoff games and at least the D-I championship game.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Legend
Legend
Used to be a Grove City Dawgs (greyhound) until my community decided to end 80 freakin years of history

K
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
K
I'm very disappointed that the SWCS levy failed yet again. I coach in a neigboring district and we were scheduled to play Grove City but now we had to pick up another game instead that week. I feel terrible for all of those kids. My heart goes out to them and I hope that they can find a way to bring sports back to that community.

Legend
Legend
Thanks kardiac I wish your kids good luck

Sadly it's just not going to be the same in this community

I head that if the november levy passes it will be 27 dollars a month cheaper than the last levy and sports reinstated. They will find a way to save winter sports including basketball and are studying pay to play options from studying other schools who do it.

I know the basketball team will miss the 1st week of practice if they wait until the election. I feel bad for the kids that transferred. However it's stupid that they NOW suggest pay to play.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
WE WANT.......THE WILDCATS!!!!!!

I'm hoping we get #11 this year, and especially against another Cincinnati team like we did last year so I can get bragging rights at work.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

My nephew plays for North Royalton

I'm a Royalton alum, my Godson is a sophomore there this year. Aside from two years ago, it's been a long and painful journey for their football program for as long as I can remember.

Maybe we can meet up one Friday night.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Did anyone in the community start anything up to raise the funds externally?

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

My nephew plays for North Royalton

I'm a Royalton alum, my Godson is a sophomore there this year. Aside from two years ago, it's been a long and painful journey for their football program for as long as I can remember.

Maybe we can meet up one Friday night.

I"m also a Royalton alum....played football there as well. Until 2 years ago when they had the miracle year, I was a part of the best individual season in Royalton's football history....we went 6-4.

#gmstrong
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

I was a part of the best individual season in Royalton's football history....we went 6-4.

'94? Was a great team that year, too bad for injuries.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Well this will be my second football season in Rootstown soI am still getting to know the team. Last year we were pretty bad,we only won two games all year. This year will be the new coaches second year so I am interested to see what kind of progress he has made.

KING

I graduated from Woodridge, so you're going down.

[Linked Image from i190.photobucket.com]
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Kardiac,

I am a Mentor grad as well.. One of my buddies is an Asst. coach at MHS now, but I have not really heard the outlook on this year's squad..

I will say that the bar has been set pretty high by the kids that have come through the past 5 years or so...

I heart winning
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

I was a part of the best individual season in Royalton's football history....we went 6-4.

'94? Was a great team that year, too bad for injuries.

'96 was the team (though I was only a partially contributing sophomore)....if I remember correctly (fuzzy so may be off) we were one of 5 teams to do as well as 6-4 in the programs history. Gawdy stuff.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
One last thing about the southwestern levy.

Here is a list of Franklin County School districts and how they've faired at the polls since 1980. The first number is the total number of issues they've passed including bond issues, replacement/renewal levies, regular operating levies, and income tax. The second number is the total number of issues that have failed. The third number is percent of success. This includes August 4, 2009 results.

1. Westerville - 21, 15, 58%
2. Dublin - 21, 15, 58%
3. Plain Local - 18, 11, 62%
4. Hilliard - 17, 13, 57%
5. Reynoldsburg - 16, 13, 55%
6. Worthington - 15, 12, 56%
7. Canal Winchester - 14, 22, 39%
8. Bexley - 13, 2, 87%
9. Upper Arlington - 12, 7, 63%
10. Groveport - 12, 19, 39%
11. Gahanna - 11, 7, 61%
12. Hamilton - 10, 15, 40%
13. Columbus - 9, 0, 100%
14. Grandview Heights - 9, 2, 82%
15. Whitehall - 8, 4, 67%
16. South-Western - 6, 24, 20%

Please note that if a district passed a combined bond issue and levy, it counted as two(2) passing issues.

That is shocking.

I firmly believe after looking at that list that we can never again say that my community cares about kids. In fact this says that we hate kids! Inner city people support kids more than this district.

I'm embarassed by this.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

KING

I graduated from Woodridge, so you're going down.

On October 16th you guys will be in our house!!!

Try to take it easy on us

KING

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Quote:

I work nights and last year during football season I was only able to make one game,this year our schedule is different so I am off Friday nights so I will go to most of them. I will tell you what,after having moved from the city,small town friday night lights is totally different. It is awesome. Its like the who town shuts down and everyone is there,and everybody knows everybody. Its cool.

KING

I'm a Sullivan Black River grad but moved to Sebring a little over 6 years ago. We added Rootstown to our schedule and face each other in week 1. That game should be interesting.

We have a new head coach, former Miami Dolphin/New York Jet, Jay Brophy. Dude is hard nosed and brings an intensity this school hasn't seen in years. He went off on a kid during a recent scrimmage and I thought he was going to get a standing ovation (team has been known for being undisciplined and not opposed to throwing numerous cheapshots in the past). I think we've only won 4 games since 2000.

BTW...besides being a National Champion with the Miami Hurricanes and a former NFL player, Brophy's biggest claim to fame may have been coaching some "decent" current NBA basketball player, names Lebron James, at SVSM when #23 played football.

[Linked Image from media.scout.com]
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum High School Football Thread

Link Copied to Clipboard