Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Legend
Legend
I'm honestelly starting to wonder about that Miami game because it was COOPERS guys on that team

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I was actually going to ask if anybody thought he might get canned on Monday considering that coaching cost them this game, and almost cost them the game against Navy.

SunDawg #412846 09/12/09 11:46 PM
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
candyman92 #412847 09/12/09 11:47 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Dude chill out. Barkley was crap, and Joe McNight beat us on that last drive. The media is going to talk about how great Barkley was on that last drive, but he made 1 throw to the TE (Hollman got used on that last drive in both the big plays). The other completion was a screen pass that McNight took for a ton of yards by himself. They ran the ball down our throat finally, and MB had very little to do with it.

Overall, I thought we played as well as we could defensively, but it was a matter of time before JM broke us down. You can't expect to win against USC and only score 15 points......it ain;t happening.

However, I will agree that Pryor has to improve. He is still throwing off his back foot entirely too much, and it causes him to be inaccurate. The biggest reason we lost was our inability to run the ball. We don't have a stud RB this year, and this OL isn't good enough to open huge holes consistantly. Tressel's (and thus tOSU's) biggest problem the past few years has been his inability to recruit a stud OL. We just don't have a dominate OL like we had in the late 90's or early 2000's.

That said I see this team getting between 10-11 wins, and probably getting the Trojans in a rematch at the Rose Bowl.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
SunDawg #412848 09/12/09 11:48 PM
L
Legend
Legend
L
i've always thought tressel was waay to conservative ..but i think the biggest issue OSU has right now is no QB, sorry, pryor isn't even an average QB..now i think had he'd chosen michigan over OSU, he's be a heisman candidate...That offense is def. more his style, right now he's a square peg in a round hole with this offense...i mean seriously, let this kid play a little more loose, i swear tressel makes them all wear sweater vests under their uniforms..

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Fire Jim Tressel.

I'm sick of watching this team constantly getting outcoached.

A bit strong there, but you have a point. Tressel just doesn't seem to want to put the nails in the coffin.....early on when they were really controlling the LOS, he ran right right into the crowd on first down 4 consecutive times and it resulted in 3 and outs. It reminded me of Mo Carthon's crayon playbook. Pryor's still playing like a nervous freshman.....and what happened to all that work he supposedly did on his passing game?

The defense held USC to a TD and a fieldgoal (I'm excusing the TD off of the interception). They played well enough to spank the Trojans.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
U
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
U
Rose Bowl is the BCS championship bowl this year so I doubt we see that.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Ditto, this fire Tressel stuff is crazy especially when most of these guys who are complaining expected OSU to be blown out anyway.

There might need to be some shake ups made among the assistants but this fire Tressel crap is bordering on the whiny side of things.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

That said I see this team getting between 10-11 wins, and probably getting the Trojans in a rematch at the Rose Bowl.

I honestelly don't know considering how mentally weak this team is in clutch situations. I'm sorry guys OSU is good but nowhere close to elite yet. USC played like an elite team tonight. I can't take pride in winning the big 10 anymore.

Psydeffect #412853 09/12/09 11:54 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
In the end, it all comes back to Tressel though. If you'd agree that some Asst. coaches need to go, then that's still Tressel's fault. It's Tressel's job to get rid of the problem guys...

UnderDawg #412854 09/12/09 11:55 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Psss.......they play the Rose Bowl and THEN they play the NC game a few days later.

UnderDawg #412855 09/12/09 11:58 PM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Quote:

Rose Bowl is the BCS championship bowl this year so I doubt we see that.

The Rose Bowl is still played. In this format it's the first BCS Bowl Game played then the BCS Championship is played there a week later.

The other point I want to make is that both teams played poorly. It was poor execution and it didn't look like either of the teams wanted to win before that drive. I don't know what the average starting position was for Ohio State but it seemed like they were starting on USC's end of the field a lot.

To only score 15 points in that game is pathetic. And for USC to only score 18 on us was bad. There were plays to be made out there. Both teams left them on the field.

And for the throwing off the back foot comment....there was at least a half dozen times he threw where he didn't even have a back foot LOL. Like standing there flipping the ball with his feet less than shoulder length directly under his body. U...G...L...Y

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Also why would you guys be excited to play USC in the Rose Bowl?!?

OSU would have to face an more experienced Barkley and it would be in USCs backyard!

TopDawg16 #412857 09/13/09 12:01 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
You spend way too much time worrying about a team you hate..lol. We lost to a better team, but JT wasn't out coached at all. He had a team with less talent in a position to win at the end of the game.............how is that getting out coached?? If you want to say he got out coached in the Florida game I can concur. However, it's hard to say that JT was out coached when most of the "gurus" including you had us losing by multiple scores.

We lost to a team that was more talented period. If you want to blame JT for not out recruiting PC then ok, but that's an entirely different argument as most (if not all) coaches lose that battle.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

You spend way too much time worrying about a team you hate..lol. We lost to a better team, but JT wasn't out coached at all.

After watching that game, I believe if Pete Carrol is at tOSU and Tress at USC, we win by about 17.

JMHO.

you had a good run Hank.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
My thoughts? Tress needs to hire an offensive coordinator and fire Haycock.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
and you'd be wrong...lol. We have a QB who isn't an accomplished passer yet. We have a OL that can not open huge holes for our very avg. running backs to run through. Sorry, but we aren't a very good offensive team. It doesn't matter how good the play calling is if you don't have the personnel your screwed. Your not going to beat USC scoring 15 points, and your not scoring much more than that with this O (and I expect it to be better by season's end...lot's of pups growing up) against a very good D.

I actually thing PC got out coached or this would have been a blowout. They had the JM mismatch all game long, but didn't utilize it until the final drive. MB was money on those comback routes, but they didn't use it with any regularity. JT isn't the reason we lost, but rather a very young O that just isn't good enough yet to win these kinds of games. Now if we play again in January (and I believe we'll win out and do that) and we see the same game then your right.............of coarse it won't be playcalling, but rather his inability to grow the pups.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Chill dude

I asked if anybody thought he "might" be fired on Monday

Didn't say "they should fire" Tressel.

I do think the game has passed him by.....

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

and you'd be wrong...lol. We have a QB who isn't an accomplished passer yet. We have a OL that can not open huge holes for our very avg. running backs to run through. Sorry, but we aren't a very good offensive team. It doesn't matter how good the play calling is if you don't have the personnel your screwed. Your not going to beat USC scoring 15 points, and your not scoring much more than that with this O (and I expect it to be better by season's end...lot's of pups growing up) against a very good D.

I actually thing PC got out coached or this would have been a blowout. They had the JM mismatch all game long, but didn't utilize it until the final drive. MB was money on those comback routes, but they didn't use it with any regularity. JT isn't the reason we lost, but rather a very young O that just isn't good enough yet to win these kinds of games. Now if we play again in January (and I believe we'll win out and do that) and we see the same game then your right.............of coarse it won't be playcalling, but rather his inability to grow the pups.

They won with a freshman QB with a bum right elbow.

We didn't win because I don't think Tressel or anyone on the coaching staff knows how to properly use Pryor so he just tries to run the same old offense.

I'm done with Tressel until they either hire an offensive coordinator to take his playcalling duties or until he is fired. This team is turning into Llllloyd Carr run Michigan teams.

you had a good run Hank.
SunDawg #412863 09/13/09 12:27 AM
Legend
Legend
I think the blame goes on Pryor sadly. The kid struggles again against a good team in a clutch situation. It's just this time he didn't have beanie to bail him out in the running game.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
What do you want them to run?? You do realize TP was in the shotgun for more snaps tonight than he was under center. We also ran the option on a number of plays, but the yardage wasn't there (see OL's failure in running game post above). He was given plenty of opportunities to run the ball, but it wasn't successful.

If there isn't any growth in the offense (which will allow us to open up the playbook some more) by season's end then I will agree with you that JT needs to go. I just am willing to give him time to develop an O that is made up of mostly sophmores making there 2nd start.

candyman92 #412865 09/13/09 01:00 AM
All Pro
All Pro
J/C.
I do not blame Pryor at all.
We have a playbook that seems to not cover two pages.
Someone needs to tell Jim to turn to page 3.
Inside the 10 twice?
Yeah Pryor is not a stud "QB" yet.
But Pryor can skip into the endzone backwards if you spread the defense out at the goal line.
I don't care who is shadowing him.
We should have won this game by 17 points.
Then the pressure would not have been on the D at all at the end of the game.

Einstein could not even fathom the mathematical improbabilities of the Browns woes.
Woofurious #412866 09/13/09 08:15 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Plenty of blame to go around and, sorry, Pryor gets his share.

Pryor needs to make better decisions with the ball. Too many bad INTs and balls that should have been INTs.

Run the kid in the option more. That's what he is best at. He's Michael Vick , not Tom Brady.

Tressel, in a big game, at home, take a chance once in a while. And for God's sake when you have a chance to put your heel on an opponent's throat, do it. Please, just once.

OSU is a good team. I will always root for them. But with the current make up of staff and players they will never be BCS championship material. Sad.

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."
candyman92 #412867 09/13/09 08:22 AM
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
J/C

Terelle Pryor isn't ready just yet. - I blame him entirely for the loss.

-He threw a key interception which led to a USC touchdown.

- So many times during the game and notably prior to USC's last drive, we had the ball at midfield and TP couldn't convert a couple first downs to set us up for a field goal.

- We had over a minute to work with after USC went ahead and TP couldn't keep his composure. - Intenional grounding to start off the drive.

This one is Terrelle Pryor's fault.

However, in spite of all this, I think Pryor has a bright future at Ohio State. - He's a sophomore and is going to need to play and lose games like this in order to grow. He's already been a part of a couple tough losses (PSU, Tex) and will get better as the season goes along.

Let's focus on beating Penn State and Michigan.

Cheer up guys - imagine how Oklahoma State fans feel right now.

Heldawg #412868 09/13/09 08:52 AM
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

Terrell Pryor has really regressed in his mechanics and footwork. It was like watching Tarvaris Jackson play QB.

I can't believe how bad the footwork was. AWFUL.

He's got no shot of playing QB in the NFL playing like that.

I just read the EXACT same post on JJHuddle . . . lol . . . great minds thinking alike??

And I would agree, athletic he is, knowing what to do with that athleticism is another thing. I have come to the conclusion he would be better off as a wideout. His mechanics were bad. He had some nice throws but some isn't enough.

As for Tressel, he coached a typical game. Do enough to be competitive, but not enough to win. WHY, WHY would you not Blitz the hell out of a freshman QB? They Blitzed a more athletic QB in Pryor and my goodness . . . it worked . . .

crazyotto55 #412869 09/13/09 08:56 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Plenty of blame to go around and, sorry, Pryor gets his share.

Yes otto ,you are right. One day the so called football gurus will come to the realization that the blame for a loss or the credit for a win can not come down to one person or coach, Even if a certain player scores a game winning play their are many people who played a part in that play and many people played a part in putting the team in the situation to make that play or for that play to even matter.

We lost a tough game to a better team,Pryor can take some of the blame. Overall he did not play well. I think the defense played well enough to put the team in a position to win but the offense sputtered under T Pry. His mechanics are horrible and his decision making was bad too.

In the end it came down to overall they were a little better of a team than us. Werent they expected to be? I hate to lose but damn i dont see how we can feel too bad about it considering how young and inexperienced we are. Hopefully some of those young guys will continue to learn and develop.

KING

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
D
Legend
Legend
D
I was thinking the same thing last night about blitzing the rookie. On 2nd and 19 from the 6 yd line, it looked like OSU went into a prevent D, leaving LB Ross Homan to cover Joe McKnight - a dream matchup for USC. That play was pivotal in the drive. For nearly 55 minutes you thwarted a good offense loading the box - their Offense had "earned" 3 points. Why on earth would you go away from what had worked all game long? If you're going to do anything different, it should have been to ratchet up the pressure on Barkley with a blitz package of some kind. Who knows, maybe you get a safety, or a holding call that results in a safety.

Its like a broken record being a sports fan around here ... Happy Groundhog Day, everyone.

Dave #412871 09/13/09 11:06 AM
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I can't believe that I was hearing other Bucks fans being happy that we "competed" and get it close. That just affirms what talking heads are saying that we have lost of prominence as a true power house. Kirk said last night that the Bucks proved they can play with the big boys...WHAT?!?! Its come to that? I think the attitude for the team "we almost beat Texas and USC".

First drive for USC, Pete Carroll went for on 4th and goal.....that attitude, that aggressiveness is lacking in Columbus. Its been beat to death, but the Vest has been getting his butt handed to him on a fork every time we play a team that isnt in the big10.

Dave #412872 09/13/09 11:18 AM
All Pro
All Pro
General reply to making Pryor being the main reason for the loss.
Yes Pryor played bad. Bad desicions Bad mechanics, etc...
Neither QB rocked the postiton last night.
But Pryor has to run the plays given to him.
Stop forcing the kid to not do what he does best.
And work on the other stuff in the meanwhile.
Also the offensive play calling we have here at is not what any "elite" team in any of the big conferences run "exclusively".
Where is the imagination?
But I suppose you are all right.
Maybe if Pryor starts to execute the "vanilla" plays.
Tressell and crew will pull out some "elite worthy" plays and all will be sunny in Buckeye land again.
I won't hold my breath.

Einstein could not even fathom the mathematical improbabilities of the Browns woes.
Woofurious #412873 09/13/09 11:27 AM
Legend
Legend
I might be the only one who feels this way but I was VERY impressed by the defense for the first 58 minutes. USC would only earned 3 points if it wasn't for the cheap INT and great field position. The D-line played out of their mind even though the secondary was picked apart. Brian Rolle is going to be our next stud superstar LB.

Also most importantly OSU should be ELITE next year. All we lose is Jim Cordle, Ballard, Russell, Worthington and Kurt Coleman

candyman92 #412874 09/13/09 11:34 AM
All Pro
All Pro
Agreed the D did what they had to do to win.
Minus the last dirve ... I do not know what they were doing there.
IMO it would not have mattered had we scored TD's when we were standing in the foyer.
I expect to be elite by the end of THIS year.

Hear that JT??

Woofurious #412875 09/13/09 11:39 AM
L
Legend
Legend
L
You guys hung with probably the best team in college football, could have beat them when most pundits say they're clearly better than OSU, and now you want the coach fired after game 2?

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
lampdogg #412876 09/13/09 11:45 AM
All Pro
All Pro
LMAO
Was that a reply in general? Or to me?
I never said anything about firing anyone.
But I would like to see some creative playcalling on the offensive side of the ball.
We do arguably have the biggest gamebreaker on ANY college football team.
Is that too much to ask for?

Woofurious #412877 09/13/09 11:52 AM
L
Legend
Legend
L
Don't start on me, bobby.
lol sorry man, just a general thought after skimming posts.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Dave #412878 09/13/09 11:59 AM
L
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
L
this one hurts a lot....and I too blame Tressel. He continues with the same tired game plan and the opposition makes adjustments to win.
W.W. Hayes wrote a book titled "You win with People".
J. Tressel's book should be "You win with Punters".
Although it worked for a good portion of the game, pinning USC deep and limiting their offense, it also cost OSU the game. Late in the game, he opted to punt rather than go for it on fourth and short which would have put us within field goal range and an 8 point lead. Instead, well, you all know the rest.
I'm not saying the game has passed him by, but it's all too clear that he's too stubborn to see what changes need made.
One thing about Cooper. He went through a ton of assistant coaches and their different philosophies as they took jobs and/or promotions at other schools. This kept the Buckeye's evolving and fresh. Tressel has a buddy relationship with his O and D coordinators. This is why they are so predictable and beatable.
I'm sorry to say it because I love J.T., but there needs to be changes made or else Tressel must go.

Legend
Legend
Just a general reply/post,...placing blame at all is just wrong. They didn't win, so what.

The problem is, you can barely afford to lose a single game anymore in college football and still realistically be in the Title Hunt, unless a lot of other folks lose twice. It is what it is without a playoff. That performance last night, in light of what the media told us all month, should move them UP in the polls--but it won't.

Jim Tressel is doing a great job. He makes mistakes; he is human. Pryor is young -- he is learning. Expecting him to be Johnny Unitas is unfair and unwarranted.

Am I happy Ohio State can't get over the hump -- no. But I think it is better to be a team that has it's bike always perched at that next obstacle jump, than to be a team that is spinning its wheels in the sand.

Speaking of sand,...

We have lost 4,000 in uniform fighting wars that may or may not be justified. I try to keep that in perspective while I'm ripping my guts out figuring out just what's so dang wrong with Ohio State ??

A
Legend
Legend
A
Good post.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We shoulda gave that Freshman QB as many different looks and as many blitzes as we could.

As it stands, the prevent D works again preventing a win.

1oldMutt #412882 09/13/09 01:33 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Well, I like most of you are hurting and frustrated after another collapse at the end. They bring pressure all game, hit them square in the chops like they needed to, and play back on that last drive. What was even worse was the Buckeyes final drive
This hasn't been the first time people have questioned the playcalling and reasoning behind some thing, but it's also easy to do after the fact. Tress was brought in to beat Michigan at first and anything after that was a bonus. Now the bar is set extremely high and yes he hasn't delivered in the bigger games.
It was a tough hard fought game last night for sure, but none of that matters unless you are the one on top of the scoreboard at the end.
Hey if you took OSU, you won betting wise last night

Our honor defend, we will fight to the end, for OHIO! GO BUCKS!
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I havent been this depressed over an OSU loss since the 2006 title game

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum OSU and USC

Link Copied to Clipboard