Next Thread
Print Thread
#417561 09/26/09 09:19 PM
B
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
B
As of late, I have been looking in to installing a Linux distro on my laptop. I will use OpenOffice, media players, and of course the internet, maybe if I get used to it--Wine.

Do any of you use a Linux distro? If so, what would you recommend to a user, like myself? I usually build my own computers--I get a kick out of it--though I am no power user or nowhere near an IT guy's knowledge.

I am looking at Ubuntu, maybe OpenSuse, or Mint, or Mythbuntu . . . something easy to start out with?

thanks

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
i would recommend Mint. its much like ubuntu though it already installs the media codecs for you. another one ive had great success with has been sayabon. now if you really want a challenge and actually learn maybe try debian which ubuntu is based from. also you may want to play around with the live disc and see how well each plays with your laptop. laptops can be more finicky when coming to installing linux. good luck and have fun.

Last edited by ~TuX~; 09/26/09 09:35 PM.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Don't be burdened by regrets or make your failures an obsession or become embittered or possessed by ruined hopes"
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
I'm a big fan of Ubuntu....which I use on my workstation. Never had any problems setting up the machine, and have been getting amazing stability (1 crash of X in about 5 months of use -- and about half time at full load)

that being said...most distros are fairly similar once everything is set up...the main tradeoff is difficulty of install vs. customization and speed differences. Usually you won't notice the difference in speed, so I'd just go with Ubuntu/Mint, and ignore the more complicated renditions, especially for your first time.

~Lyuokdea

Last edited by Lyuokdea; 09/27/09 12:46 AM.

~Lyuokdea
Lyuokdea #417564 09/27/09 01:35 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
another thing you might want to check out is VirtualBox from SUN.. it will allow you to virtually run windows (you still need a copy) while running Linux.. it's how I watch Netflix..

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Don't be burdened by regrets or make your failures an obsession or become embittered or possessed by ruined hopes"
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Linux Question

Link Copied to Clipboard