Next Thread
Print Thread
#423584 10/10/09 07:03 PM
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
I won't be the first or last to say, "I do not think it will happen to me."
But low and behold... it did.
My paypal account was hacked into Thurday evening at 8:39 PM.
Someone managed to get into my paypal account and tried to transfer $100.00 dollars from my bank account to my paypal account.

I called paypal and they had me change my password and security questions.
They also told me that the transfer cannot be canceled???
But that my money will be safe now.
then I can put it back later.
I called my bank as well to see if they would cancel the transfer.
No go there either.
I would not have noticed this at all until after the money was gone.
But I just happended to be shopping E-bay for a new camcorder and wanted to see if I had anything left in my paypal account.
I usually keep it empty and only have funds available for exact purchase amounts.

Just a word of warning out there.
Do not use your main bank account for your verified paypal account backup.
Open a dummy bank account and put any paypal funds in that account to use when you make a purchase.
Also change passwords frequently.
I had the same password for over 3 years.
Still would like to know how someone guessed my password or if Paypal in general was hacked.

Scary stuff.
I feel violated....

Einstein could not even fathom the mathematical improbabilities of the Browns woes.
A
Legend
Legend
A
I don't even bank on line. Purp can verify that - I asked for a mailing address to send him a check in the past. Call me old school, call me stupid, whatever. Call me paranoid - that fits.

Sorry for you. At least it was only $100.........

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

At least it was only $100.........

He disnt lose the $100 I dont think. It is just now in his Pay Pal account. He can transfer it back when he wants.

KING

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
A
Legend
Legend
A
Ah......see what I know about these things?

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
This is good enough for me. My wife is cancelling her Paypal account when she gets home. I don't trust any of this stuff. - From now on, if I win something on ebay, it's getting paid by money order.

Legend
Legend
I got a warning from these people last month that someone TRIED to hack in. We closed down the eBay PayPal option.

I never used it anyway, and when I do win, I always send a money order,...

D
Legend
Legend
D
Was it Paypal that was hacked, or was it you that was hacked? If someone had access to your bank account by knowing your Paypal password it seems like it might be you that has a security issue. You might want to check your credit card balances, while you're at it.

Dave #423591 10/11/09 06:27 PM
I
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I
Just a word of advice from an IT guy...

I/m not saying you do this, but I run across many who do...

Don't use the same user name / password for different online accounts. Banking sites and the like should be masking, encrypting and doing things to make passwords hidden to those people on the inside. There are laws requiring protection. The one thing there isn't laws for is protections for many sites such as a message board. If you use the same password for these sites, you might just be giving your passwords to folks for your financial sites.

“Unemployment is low because everyone has two jobs. Unemployment is low because people are working 60, 70, 80 hours a week and can barely feed their family.” -AOC
I_Rogue #423592 10/12/09 09:23 AM
F
Legend
Legend
F
And be sure to use secure logins and password for financial sites.

Don't use Login: Tom, Password: Spot
Add numbers, or even use some capital letters in your passwords.

Use Tom and Spot for your message board logins or something.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
I
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I
Quote:

And be sure to use secure logins and password for financial sites.

Don't use Login: Tom, Password: Spot
Add numbers, or even use some capital letters in your passwords.

Use Tom and Spot for your message board logins or something.

“Unemployment is low because everyone has two jobs. Unemployment is low because people are working 60, 70, 80 hours a week and can barely feed their family.” -AOC
I_Rogue #423594 10/12/09 12:33 PM
F
Legend
Legend
F
I actually have a couple users that have come and asked me if I can retrieve their password from the browser for their online banking account.

I'll be like "no, and how could you forget that password?"

They answer like "Well I use the same one I use here at work, so you should be able to look it up."

My reply is usually "Where do you bank again?"

I_Rogue #423595 10/12/09 12:47 PM
H
1st String
1st String
H
Quote:

Don't use the same user name / password for different online accounts. Banking sites and the like should be masking, encrypting and doing things to make passwords hidden to those people on the inside. There are laws requiring protection. The one thing there isn't laws for is protections for many sites such as a message board. If you use the same password for these sites, you might just be giving your passwords to folks for your financial sites.

If you want a really secure password. Be like the Federal Government.

14 Characters
Atleast
2 upper case
2 lower case
2 numbers
2 Symbols

No more than 3 letters in a row.
Cannot spell a word,

And you change it every 60 days.

The only problem is that it is so complicated, that no one can remember their password.

I
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I
Same here. I did as an exercise to demonstrate this to our users. I said I could probably "crack" the online email account of 1 out of the first 4 people I chose. I did it on the second person. Same way as you mention. They got the message.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
I had been using PayPal for years until this spring. I had a credit card attached the the account that was not used for anything else and has long been shredded. Paid a friend for a NCAA pool and had 10 transactions the next morning. Immediately called PayPal and canceled the account, and called and canceled the credit card.

I've been hearing a lot of these stories in the last year. Never again will I use PayPal.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

If you want a really secure password. Be like the Federal Government.

14 Characters
Atleast
2 upper case
2 lower case
2 numbers
2 Symbols

No more than 3 letters in a row.
Cannot spell a word,

And you change it every 60 days.

The only problem is that it is so complicated, that no one can remember their password.

and then they write it on a piece of paper that they stick under their desk or worse on their monitor.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Don't be burdened by regrets or make your failures an obsession or become embittered or possessed by ruined hopes"
~TuX~ #423599 10/13/09 07:55 AM
F
Legend
Legend
F
Quote:

and then they write it on a piece of paper that they stick under their desk or worse on their monitor.

I have a few users that have post-is on their office walls with all their logins.

F
Legend
Legend
F
Another thing to mention is that many credit card companies, now offer "Shop Safe" temporary CC numbers on their websites.

You login, request a Shop Safe number, assign a $ amount and a time limit. Then it gives you a number to use for an online transaction. It is only good up to the amount specified, and for the time listed, like a time limit gift card. So if the site or someone gets a hold of the number, it won't do them much good.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Paypal hacked.

Link Copied to Clipboard