Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
B
Hey all, SORRY if this has been posted in the past. I have seen this discussed in a couple of discussions, but I can't seem to find them because they are all spread out. Anyway, I am leaning towards wanting to bring this guy into Cleveland. Here are his ratings for 4 years as a professional...

2006- 76
2007- 77
2008- 84.3
2009- 85.8

This guy is probably the best veteran QB out there who will be available for free agency. Do you think we should take a stab at him?

I would love to sign this guy and then draft a stud halfback behind him. (Along with a solid RT)

He seems like everything Quinn is supposed to be. An accurate passer who doesn't take a lot of chances, but puts the ball on the money.

I don't know a lot about him, so what do you guys think?

"The Browns are a club contenders probably don't want to face right now. Their physicality cannot be questioned."
B
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
B
Height: 6-5 Weight: 230 Age: 27

I'm watching a taped Redskins/Philly games.

The guy looks pretty solid at this point.

"The Browns are a club contenders probably don't want to face right now. Their physicality cannot be questioned."
Legend
Legend
Brady Quinn > Jason Campbell

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
I have watched him since high school.......

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

He is a poor mans Mcnabb. Only slower and less smarts. So......

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

You dont have to win every game just the next one!
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
That guy sucks.

B
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
B
Ok................. why?

B
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
B
Deep South, what has he done that has turned you off so bad from him?

U
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
U
No thanks, he's not that good.

B
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
B
My intent in talking about him wasn't to find the next hall of famer for the Browns. It was to bring in an average/good qb with some years under his belt that we can build around until we draft "the guy". He looks leaps and bounds ahead of DA and Quinn from the game I'm watching. (Taped the WAS/ PHILLY game to scout him).

Guy throws a beautiful ball.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Good luck getting many to back up their opinions.

I like Campbell. Not sure I like him here but I do like him. Smart and accurate. the way I'm feeling abut his team now is that no matter who we'd bring in for a QB Mangini would have him doubting himself by the time the games start.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Campbell will only go as far as his OLine allows.

A good OLine and he is productive, without an OLine he becomes a liability.

It really is that simple.

As a QB we have no idea what he can do with line calls. If you watched Monday's game a comment made by Clinton Portis relayed by the announcers was that the last time he heard a line of scrimmage play change was when he was in Denver.

Oh Boy, now that explains a lot about Washington's ineptness, or perhaps Campbell.

Last edited by ChargerDawg; 10/28/09 09:55 PM.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Campblell has directed a NFL offense worse than ours last year only they have only played 1 team that had even a single win when they played (Philly last weekend)

The ball in the air looks as beautiful as they come....just like JeMarcus Russell.....and just like Russell, the ball is rarely to the correct receiver and even less often accurate by NFL standards.

he is better than JeMarcus.....but I'm not certain he's better than Quinn or Anderson either.

#gmstrong
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Brady Quinn < Jason Campbell

Fixed

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Campbell will only go as far as his OLine allows.

A good OLine and he is productive, without an OLine he becomes a liability.

It really is that simple.

As a QB we have no idea what he can do with line calls. If you watched Monday's game a comment made by Clinton Portis relayed by the announcers was that the last time he heard a line of scrimmage play change was when he was in Denver.

Oh Boy, now that explains a lot about Washington's ineptness, or perhaps Campbell.

I mostly agree with you, Charger.

It's no secret that I'm a fan of Campbell. When he came out, I had him rated as a developmental QB who would be a good but not great QB. That's enough for me.

To this point in his career, he's about where I expected him to be. The things I saw with him that were positives remain so, as are his negatives, and I've privately kept a VERY close eye on him since he came into the league, because I know what kind of fickle idiot Snyder can be.

Campbell's positives:

Throws a GREAT ball........that becomes an important element because of where we play. His spirals are tight and he doesn't throw flutters. Very accurate as a pocket passer.

Big, strong, and can make every throw required in the league. Can throw with touch on short routes, can throw bombs with the best of'em.

Mentally, stays calm under pressure and doesn't panic.

Team leader that players and fans can rally around, and is very coachable.

More mobility than you'd expect from a guy his size.

Negatives:

A little slow in the pocket reading defenses.

Despite good mobility, seems to have mediocre pocket-awareness.

As noted, if he doesn't have a good line, he isn't capable of carrying a team on his shoulders.

Can get a little down on himself when the team doesn't win.

Despite his size, isn't as physically strong as one would expect, and because of that, he can put the ball on the ground if sacked.

All in all, I'd LOVE to get Campbell here. He was my plan B behind Rodgers and when compared to what I've expected him to be, he's right on target.

People may or may not agree with my opinions, but I know QB's, and I know that Campbell is an instant upgrade over what we've got. Put him behind a decent line with at least some marginal talent at receiver and he becomes a good QB that we can win a playoff game with.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Legend
Legend
Question: Do you think Washington will resign him?

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Answer:

If I can predict what that psycho Dan Snyder is going to do, then I MYSELF need to be committed!

Will they resign him...................Dude, it's a damned tough call. My gut tells me they'll restrict him so they can control his future by either keeping him if they can't come up with another plan at QB, or to acquire picks if he's deemed not the answer. Why do I feel that way? Because he's going to be the best QB on the "open" market, and because of that, they'll be able to get something for him.

Maybe all these draft picks Mangini has collected can be put to good use afterall

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
I am not a J.Campbell fan, But....I will say this, We should not sign or do anything at the QB position UNLESS we sign a Average RT, & a Legit RB, without those two aras taking pressure off the QB, the def. are still gonna do what they have done this year, changing QB wont make a diffrence, unless it's Payton or Bree's

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
jc...

To me he is a replica of Quinn... so why not just hold onto Quinn and let it play out. Spend the money on something else of need. Don't think Campbell is the answer.

"I'm a mog. Half man, half dog. I'm my own best friend."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
OL
Experience for wideouts
RB

THEN you can figure out who's going to play QB.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

OL
Experience for wideouts
RB

THEN you can figure out who's going to play QB.

If we sign the top RT available, get a mauler at RG, and upgrade our starting RB, then ANY QB will be an improvement over this year.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

How would anyone know that Quinn is/isn't better than Campbell when we really haven't seen him play?
A better comparison is Campbell vs DA...and I know who I'd take..

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
If EM is still here, we are going to have to severely over pay, maybe 35% more to go out and bring in Campbell, after the way we've done Quinn.

Plus I truly believe if EM is here, we will target Kellen Clemens, not a joke, i'm dead serious.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The same guy who made Mangini go out and get Favre.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I agree with most of the people saying we need a RT before we get a QB. If we can't protect the QB's we have now, then we shouldn't go out and get a new one. We do currently have 11 draft picks, so I assume we will be taking an O-Linemen with one of those picks.

I will also say that I think Jason Campbell is broken. And I don't think our current coaching staff has the tools to fix him. This is a guy who has had at least 8 different offensive coordinators since college. To fix Campbell we would need a coach that a QB can trust (i.e. Shanahan, Holmgren.) We don't currently have that guy on our staff.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I agree with most of the people saying we need a RT before we get a QB. If we can't protect the QB's we have now, then we shouldn't go out and get a new one. We do currently have 11 draft picks, so I assume we will be taking an O-Linemen with one of those picks.

I will also say that I think Jason Campbell is broken. And I don't think our current coaching staff has the tools to fix him. This is a guy who has had at least 8 different offensive coordinators since college. To fix Campbell we would need a coach that a QB can trust (i.e. Shanahan, Holmgren.) We don't currently have that guy on our staff.

+1

Fix the right side of the line, get a RB, sign a free agent impact WR/TE, and maybe look at a 2nd/3rd round QB. We should have a ton of picks to address a lot of our problem area.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
One thing I do have faith in is that Mangini will fix the line. Look what he did in New York:

1st year: Drafts D'Brick with the 4th pick and Mangold 29th.
2nd year: Nothing significant.
3rd year: Signed Faneca and Damien Woody.

I get the impression that he values the line a hell of a lot more than Savage did.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

I get the impression that he values the line a hell of a lot more than Savage did.

possible, but Savage did sign Bentley to the richest ever deal for an OC....signed Shaffer to a rich LT deal....signed Steiny for OT money to play OG.....drafted JT #3 overall (bypassing Peterson)

not all those moves panned out, but it showed he did focus on OL at times....he just didn't do a good job building depth there.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
But the only player he actually drafted (I'm not counting Sowells or Jon Dunn) was JT.

T
All Pro
All Pro
T
Well we did only have one 1st round pick that year. He did sign add 4 quality o-linemen just like EM.

Wise words spoken by sages
From SkyTel to BlackBerry pagers
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I count two. You can also find Mangini spending many mid rounders on linemen, something Savage did once.

P
All Pro
All Pro
P
Campbell is GARBAGE!!!

I live in redskin territory and forced to watch their games all the time. He has so many weapons around him and still cant do well(Moss, Randall el, Portis, Cooley). He's very streaky and makes poor decisions continously. I would rather have Frye back.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I wouldn't say he has so many weapons. Moss is inconsistent, Portis is past his prime, his line sucks, and Randel el isn't that good of a wide out.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

I wouldn't say he has so many weapons. Moss is inconsistent, Portis is past his prime, his line sucks, and Randel el isn't that good of a wide out.

I like Devin Thomas though....they guy was routinely getting open (when they showed downfield at least).....too bad Campbell wasn't throwing him the ball (outside the TD pass)

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Campbell is GARBAGE!!!

I live in redskin territory and forced to watch their games all the time. He has so many weapons around him and still cant do well(Moss, Randall el, Portis, Cooley). He's very streaky and makes poor decisions continously. I would rather have Frye back.

I live in Redskins territory too..

IMO Toad's analysis is spot on.

With all due respect I gotta disagree with your statement that Campbell is surrounded by a bunch of talent.
the OL is wrecked
Randall-El is overrated
Portis is old and can no longer carries the load
the backs miss blocks

Campbell is running for his life and has had zero stability in an organization that has gone to hell b/c of an owner that stabs everyone,including the fans, in the back.

Do I think Campbell is the second coming of Peyton Manning??
Heck no,but he is an average starter and right now average looks awfully good.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Quote:

jc...

To me he is a replica of Quinn... so why not just hold onto Quinn and let it play out. Spend the money on something else of need. Don't think Campbell is the answer.

From what I've seen, the similarities between Quinnband Campbell are slow reactions and adjustments to the defense and the tendency to check down often. But, Campbell is far more accurate than Quinn with all of his throws and especially when he does throw downfield and will push it downfield more often. The worst part of his game is the fumbles. One poster stated we would need a RT and good RB and I agree. I'm hoping we fill those spots in next year's draft over picking a QB. I wouldn't mind a short 3 year contract with Jason Campbell.

C
Legend
Legend
C
The more I think about it, the more I want Eric Berry.

I don't see Locker or Clausen coming out early, and in my opinion they're the only QB's that would deserve the top draft pick we will have.

Another question. Does anyone see Sam Bradford falling out of the 1st round because of durability issues? I don't think he will, but is it a possibility?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm 99% certain that Clausen and Locker will both come out. The rookie cap is coming next year.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

I don't see Locker or Clausen coming out early, and in my opinion they're the only QB's that would deserve the top draft pick we will have.

Another question. Does anyone see Sam Bradford falling out of the 1st round because of durability issues? I don't think he will, but is it a possibility?

I think both Locker and Clausen come out early, i also predict a flood of juniors coming out as well. This could be the last big pay day for rookie contracts. The more picks the better in this draft!!

I think Bradford can fall alot. FIrst off, even before the injury he had a weak arm. Did you see him after he tried to come back this year- even less zip on that ball. Don't laugh, but third round would be a good spot for him.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Do you have any information backing that up or is it just a gut instinct?

I think Clausen is more likely to come out early.

But this is Locker's first year in a pro style offense. He was out almost all of last year and Washington is built around him having success. He was also born and raised in Washington.

I know the rookie salary scale is probably coming for the 2011 draft. But I still see Locker staying.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Official Jason Campbell thread

Link Copied to Clipboard