Page 1 of 2 1 2
#434523 11/10/09 06:54 PM
D
Davy Offline OP
2nd String
OP Offline
2nd String
D
There are three options for quarterback play next year.

(in no particular order)
#1. Start a quarterback already on the roster (Quinn, Anderson, Ratliff)
#2. Draft a quarterback
#3. Sign or trade for a quarterback already on an NFL team.

To start the thread, I would like to focus primarily on option #3, as options 1 and 2 have been discussed on this board ad nausem.

The pros of option 3 (signing a FA quarterback or trading for one) would be that the new GM would potentially not have to use a #1 pick on a quarterback.

I realize there was a thread a while back concerning Jason Campbell, however I to broaden the scope and include other high profile names while also including some names not thought about.

Here is a list of some of the quarterbacks that will be available due to free agency.

Troy Smith (25) – Restricted FA
Matt Moore (25) – Restricted FA
Kellen Clemens (26)
Kyle Orton (26)
Tarvaris Jackson (26)
Jason Campbell (27)
Kyle Boller (28)
Rex Grossman, (29)
Michael Vick (29)
David Carr, (30)
Joey Harrington (30)
Daunte Culpepper (32)
Chad Pennington (33)
Charlie Batch (34)
Jon Kitna (37)

Of these quarterbacks listed, most would not be considered to helm the quarterback position, however there are a couple that might hit free agency if there team does not ante up with an extension that could be looked at as an NFL starter for 2010/2011.

The other option would be trading for a back-up quarterback. Here is a list of some interesting names. Some of these names if brought in would be expected to be the franchise quarterback whereas others would be a stop-gap.

May it be noted that any of the names above or below are not backed by me. I am simply throwing out some information where others can take the information and run with it.

Matt Leinart (26) back-up quarterack Cardinals
John Beck (28) third string quarterback Ravens
Chris Simms (29) back-up quarterback Broncos
Matt Flynn (24) back-up quarterback Packers
Brodie Croyle (26) back-up quarterback Chiefs
Kevin Kolb(25) back-up quarterback Eagles
Billy Volek (33) back-up quarterback Chargers
Shaun HIll (29) back-up quarterback 49ers
Seneca Wallace (29) back-up quarterback Seahawks
Josh Johnson (23) back-up quarterback Bucs
Patrick Ramsey (30) third-string quarterback Titans

Discuss.

N
Legend
Legend
N
just for the sake of having a complete list....

Vince Young is due $14mil for next year if he is not cut by the Titans....he most likely restructures (ala Alex Smith), but he should be on the list in the event they cannot come to an agreement.

#gmstrong
D
Davy Offline OP
2nd String
OP Offline
2nd String
D

Thanks Logo!

Quarterback Free Agents (Updated)

Troy Smith (25) – Restricted FA
Matt Moore (25) – Restricted FA
Kellen Clemens (26)
Kyle Orton (26)
Tarvaris Jackson (26)
Vince Young (26)
Jason Campbell (27)
Kyle Boller (28)
Rex Grossman, (29)
Michael Vick (29)
David Carr, (30)
Joey Harrington (30)
Daunte Culpepper (32)
Chad Pennington (33)
Charlie Batch (34)
Jon Kitna (37)

Back-up notable quarterbacks

Matt Leinart (26) back-up quarterack Cardinals
John Beck (28) third string quarterback Ravens
Chris Simms (29) back-up quarterback Broncos
Matt Flynn (24) back-up quarterback Packers
Brodie Croyle (26) back-up quarterback Chiefs
Kevin Kolb(25) back-up quarterback Eagles
Billy Volek (33) back-up quarterback Chargers
Shaun HIll (29) back-up quarterback 49ers
Seneca Wallace (29) back-up quarterback Seahawks
Josh Johnson (23) back-up quarterback Bucs
Patrick Ramsey (30) third-string quarterback Titans

Legend
Legend
Michael Vick??

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
G
2nd String
2nd String
G
I don't like a single QB on that list to be honest, I'd rather go with Option 1.

The claims that Quinn can't throw the ball down field is just ridiculous, what NFL Quarterback can't throw the ball 40-50 Yards down field?

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Id like Kolb but I dont see the Eagles giving him up. They used a first on him and will probabley want a 1st and more picks to get him. Maybe if the Browns trade down and get more picks.

There is alot of players I want the Browns to get in the 1st 3 rounds and as of right now, none are QBs. I really like Pike but Pike has an injury history and might slide a few rounds and not many on this board like him.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Tebow

/thread.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Yeah, I never quite understood that argument as well. He can get it downfield. He has just chosen not to up until now.

If he gets in, I'm sure he will try to see downfield more.

More than anything, I'd just like to see, definitely, whether or not BQ has a shot at being an NFL QB. Say what you want, but we just haven't seen enough of the guy. Now that there is literally no chance of a winning season or him hitting his escalators, we NEED to see the kid in extended action.

If nothing more than to be able to cross him off the list.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Tebow

/thread.

I thought this was a QB thread, not a TE thread.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Tebow

/thread.

This thread is about QB's not FBs

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Not a single intriguing name on either of those lists.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Quote:

I don't like a single QB on that list to be honest, I'd rather go with Option 1.

The claims that Quinn can't throw the ball down field is just ridiculous, what NFL Quarterback can't throw the ball 40-50 Yards down field?

Sure Quinn can get it 50 yards downfield, thats not the point about him. Here is the problem.
Unless he has time for absolute flawless footwork/mechanics, his 50 yard pass will be a big ole rainbow floater, just waitin for a fast safety, like say Polamalu, to come on up and snag that present right outta the sky, like mana from heaven.
Do you remember Frye ? He could throw it 50 yards also.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Agreed and I'll never be on the Jason Campbell bandwagon either, I don't understand the infatuation for him on this board.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

Quote:

Agreed and I'll never be on the Jason Campbell bandwagon either, I don't understand the infatuation for him on this board.

He completes passes and has a rating above 80. That's 735% better than anyone we got now.

A
2nd String
2nd String
A
Tarvaris Jackson jumps out to me. Pretty sure he hates Minnesota for signing Favre to be a replacement to him. Not sure he'll resign there. Wouldn't mind getting him, won't put up huge numbers but is surely an upgrade to what we have now.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Of the guys mentioned I like Jason Campbell the best.

If given proper coaching and receivers I think he could thrive.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Of the guys mentioned I like Jason Campbell the best.

If given proper coaching and receivers I think he could thrive.

Which, barring some key personnel changes during the off-season, would doom him here. We have neither of those things.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

He completes passes and has a rating above 80. That's 735% better than anyone we got now.

And the price will probably be right. We're in no shape to be wasting a first round pick on any of this year's crop of qb's.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
j/.c

Looks like with that list we really need to pray something clicks in Quinns head. The only one that looks remotely intreging is Jackson and that isn't saying much.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

his ol , believe it or not, is worse than our ol

D
Davy Offline OP
2nd String
OP Offline
2nd String
D
I have not done the research yet to back this up, but it seems that a front office that cannot get productive play from the quarterback position in their first or second try is a front office that does not see success and does not get an extension after their 4-5 year contract is up.

There is not going to be a Brady, Brees or Manning on this list. However, I do think that there are some names on here that a GM could be successful in the short term and maybe a couple young guys that could be successful NFL starter in the long term.

For example, it is not a sexy signing, but Kitna is someone I would look to for a 1-2 year stop gap.

Kolb is someone I would highly consider, but legalize is right, it would take a lot to pry him away from the Eagles.

No one on here thinks Leinart, Flynn, or Croyle could be successful? I am not talking about franchise elite qb, I am talking about somewhere between what we have now w/Quinn/Anderson and a franchise qb. At this point in the rebuilding process I would take the middle.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Holmgren is hired as gm, Gruden or Mornhinweg as HC

Donovan McNabb is traded to Cleveland to make room for Kevin Kolb.

It took 10 years, but my orignial Browns QB is playing in Cleveland.

If I could only get Warren for LT back.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Of the ones listed.

Campbell is better than anything we have right now.
Kolb looked very good when McNabb was out.
I liked Carr coming out, but I think all those sacks may have been partially on him.

I don't think there is anyway you get Leinart out of Arizona, but I would grab him if I could.

I would not give up on Quinn, I don't think that it is assured that he is all that bad. We know for sure he is better than Anderson.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
bizarre man love

/thread

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Man, WEAK free agents. Weak.

I am all for signing a QB rather than drafting one, but those options are pretty poor.

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The Redskins have prolly burned bridges with Jason Campbell irrevocably.
JC is gangly, but under-rated and IMO a victim of instability.

If we could get JC we might be better off cutting ties w/ DA.

I'm still not sold on the idea that BQ is a bust. I need more information on that,but I'm pretty certain about DA at this point. As for BQ vs. JC???

We may be able to work out a deal w/ the Redskins at draft day, OR EVEN BEFORE, if we have a higher draft position.

What the hell do I know anyway ???

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
A. Kevin Kolb
B. Jason Campbell
C. Tavares Jackson

I would take any of these three before I would draft a QB this year, no one jumps off the charts for me to draft in the top 5.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Kolb is not a free agent, a trade would need to be made.
here is a link to free agents for next year
http://www.footballsfuture.com/freeagents.html

and another

http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=By+Team&y=2010

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Picking off this list is like picking your next EX-Wife,

Jason Campbell.....Strong arm, not accurate, hummmmm..In the words of Uncle Ted Nugent......were have we seen this before......where have we seen this before...DA.....So were gonna cut DA sign JC and complane about the same thigns....Common Man....

Eagles have a delema comming up, keep Mcnabb, resign vick, & if they do that who who starts who sits.

Kolb, in Philly's offense he's ok, in our offense surrounded bye our talent he's ground chuck. Cant stick a below average QB in a weak system and expect average results, normally both areas fail.

I would take Mcnare or Vick in a heart beat atleast we know who would be our starter and in both cases, both can still run for thier lives, when needed.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Keep Quinn & Ratliff and build up the team around them. We could get some good free agents and knock every draft selection out of the park and STILL not compete for the division. This team is that bad.

By the time the team is competetive, THEN look for that special vet QB via trade or free agency. Or draft the right one down the road.

None of the QBs should be drafted in the first round this year. They'd end up needing to sit and learn almost as long as Quinn has. I'll be mad if we draft a QB. It makes me sick enough thinking that we need to address the wide receiver position again so soon, but that's a different thread . . .

S
Legend
Legend
S
we could go the route of cincinnati a few yrs ago...

draft a qb in the first round and sign kitna.

i think kitna is much better than anything we have right now.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Except there is nobody in Carson Palmer's league to be drafted in the 2010 draft.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

Kolb is not a free agent, a trade would need to be made.
here is a link to free agents for next year
http://www.footballsfuture.com/freeagents.html

and another

http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=By+Team&y=2010

Kolb, alnog with others like Leinart, was brought up by the poster as a backup QB that the posters would be interested in. Since there are no FA QBs that stand out the poster named some backup QBs as an alternative possibility.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

I imagine Sage Rosenfels is not happy that the Viks signed Favre...I did not see him on the list of backups to consider.

I would put him up there with the "top" of the FA and backup groups...not saying much though.

L
Legend
Legend
L
The Vikes will keep both Sage & Tarvaris (BTW in my opinion Tarvaris is not good), at least until whatever off-season drama Favre has in store plays out.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
.. " Picking off this list is like picking your next EX-Wife.. "

Boy , ain't that the truth

M
1st String
1st String
M
Quote:

Vince Young is due $14mil for next year if he is not cut by the Titans....he most likely restructures (ala Alex Smith), but he should be on the list in the event they cannot come to an agreement.

I'm gonna throw a bone out for VY. I would take him. Fire Away...

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

I'm gonna throw a bone out for VY. I would take him. Fire Away...

i'd get more Browns games live in Austin....that's as good a reason as any for the group above (barring Kolb trade)

#gmstrong
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Kolb, in Philly's offense he's ok, in our offense surrounded bye our talent he's ground chuck. Cant stick a below average QB in a weak system and expect average results, normally both areas fail.

Kolb was the most accurate QB in college that I have ever seen (note: I'm too young to remember Montana or Steve Young in college). I was a little worried about his transition to the pros based on the fact that he played the run-n-shoot...but Reid's WCO actually has a lot of the same WR-routes.

I would be all for trading to get Kolb. I would gladly give up a 2nd round pick....but I doubt Philly gives him up for less than a 1st and probably more than that.

#gmstrong
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Kolb was drafted in the second round and has done virtually nothing in the NFL. No way the Eagles command a 1st round+ for him.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Quarterback 2010 Options

Link Copied to Clipboard