Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Legend
OP Online
Legend
I didn't see this posted although I may have missed it..

Encouraging

Quote:

Mike Holmgren tells Seattle radio station he'd love to interview for Browns role
By Mary Kay Cabot
November 21, 2009, 5:14AM

APMike Holmgren would love to interview with the Browns for an unspecified role.
Updated 1:45 a.m.

Former Seahawks and Packers coach Mike Holmgren said Friday in an interview on KJR 950 AM in Seattle that he hasn't talked to Browns owner Randy Lerner yet, but admitted he'd definitely be interested in joining the organization in some capacity.

"I hope it's true -- someday that we get a chance to talk, yea, I have tremendous respect for Mr. Lerner,'' Holmgren said on his regular Friday appearance on The NFL Show. "Their team is struggling just a little bit and I absolutely would love to talk to him about working there. But until that happens, you'll be the first to know.''

Holmgren was not asked about which role he'd prefer -- president, general manager, or coach -- but said he's attracted to rebuilding projects.

"It takes a tremendous amount of energy, but there is a certain appeal there,'' he said. "There's something in my personality, too, that taking on those types of projects -- that kind of gets me going. But there's a lot of work to do.

"The important thing, I think, going into any organization is that all of the principles, all of the decision-makers are pointed in the same direction, with the same motives, the same desires, and then you have a chance. In the NFL, as you look around the different teams, I'm not sure you can say that about every team and it shows.

"The teams that are successful from ownership to management to coaching, there is a singleness of purpose. There's enough credit for everyone. No one gets territorial. It's just good -- and it shows on the field.''

He said that would be a prerequisite before he'd consider hopping off his motorcycle and back into the NFL.

"In the case of the Cleveland Browns or any of the teams that are struggling, that question has to be answered first before you even have much of a chance.''

Holmgren was responding to a question about Browns consultant Jim Brown suggesting at a luncheon on Tuesday that Lerner may have been meeting with Holmgren that day.

"At this moment, right now Randy Lerner is meeting with one of the great football minds in this country," Brown said the luncheon. "And if things work out, that person will come in to run the football side of the Browns."

When asked if the person was Holmgren, Browns said, "You said it . . . and I heard it."

Holmgren said of Brown, "He's one of my all-time favorite guys.'' He also said, "I'm very flattered by my name being tossed around like that.''

Lerner has said that he won't be commenting on his candidates or the hiring process.

© 2009 cleveland.com. All rights reserved.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2009/11/mike_holmgren_tells_seattle_ra.html

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Wonder who Lerner was interviewing? Or is Brown just a senile old man?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Brown was probably on his way to meet with Lerner.

Listen, you really can't do a whole lot better than Holmgren, at least not that I can see. Get him in now that the iron is hot and pick his brain. Let Bernie, Accorsi or whoever else wants to sit in sit in on it. Break for lunch, if it feels right throw the wallet at him. There aren't many guys I'd suggest doing this with maybe 3 or so. Just don't drag your feet and miss out on anyone you may regret later!

Last edited by 1oldMutt; 11/21/09 10:50 AM.
Legend
Legend
Schefter, a few weeks ago reports it's Holmgren's job if he wants it, now Holmgren is on record as wanting the job. Lerner's on record now as saying he won't discuss the candidates or the process. Holmgren more than likely was the person Brown was referring and both Lerner and Holmgren will deny it as it's not a topic of discussion for the media as yet.

I love little tidbits of info that come to light and feed the beast that is the fan.

#GMSTRONG
L
Legend
Legend
L
Call him, Lerner. NOW.

I heard last night the Bills are bringing in Shanahan for a sit-down next week.

Last edited by lampdogg; 11/21/09 11:20 AM.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Post deleted by Referee2

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I do hope Lerner talks to more than one person for this job....

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
L
Legend
Legend
L
Quote:

Regardless of whether Casserly or Holmgren or someone else gets the job, the first order of business will be to decide the fate of coach Eric Mangini.

So what will the new boss do with the other seven hours and fifty-five minutes of his first day on the job?

I had to laugh.
And Michelle, I agree with you... we need more than one candidate, if for principle than nothing else.

gmstrong

-----------------

Legend
Legend
I just hope someone else is sitting in the interview(s) with Lerner. I can't say I'm real high on his ability to evaluate the candidates properly on his own.

#GMSTRONG
L
Legend
Legend
L
But with Holmgren, we know what we'd be getting - a guy who's a consistent winner.

While I more or less agree with Michelle's premise about seeking out mulitple candidates, I'd give Homlgren the keys to the kingdom this very minute.

Last edited by lampdogg; 11/21/09 11:31 AM.

gmstrong

-----------------

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Thanks for posting this Daman!

As some on this board have been speculating the no one of any "quality" would be interested in this mess it is nice to hear that Holmgren (my #1 choice) is interested.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Quote:

I love little tidbits of info that come to light and feed the beast that is the fan.

Love it! And so true

There are no sacred cows.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We sorely need a respected face to bring credability to the Browns. Holmgren does that. Wait too long and the teams that have not yet fired coaches/GM's will swoop in and hire him away!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Absolutely Old1, go get the man and get it done!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
none of these guys are going to say a whole lot until the thing is locked in.

First there is the Rooney rule to comply with.

Secondly, these types of jobs do not come around all that often and you dont want to go spouting off and say something that will hurt yourself not only for this job but also for other opportunities.

Finally, the way these things are done is you show only a wink of interest in case you do not land the job. This way if you don't get it during the next teams interview the first question asked is why didnt you get the last job.

My best guess both are more than interested and have probably met with lerner already or atleast spoken over the phone in detail. I would also guess there has probably been 3 or 4 more than are serious candidates as well.

Legend
OP Online
Legend
Quote:

As some on this board have been speculating the no one of any "quality" would be interested in this mess it is nice to hear that Holmgren (my #1 choice) is interested.

There are a lot of doom and gloomers around here.. I guess to some extent, lately, I've been feeling that way so I do understand..

But for those that think the top talent won't want this job,, I completely disagree.. 100% disagree..

This may well be the best job in the football world.. The Browns FOOTBALL organization is a mess,,, the team sucks, there is a lack of talent...

But you have a city and fans that are just crazy for this team.. and you have an owner with money and a hands off policy...

If Holmgren or anyone else comes in here and turns things around,, We'll throw a parade in his honor and start naming our children after them..

If they come in here and fail, it will hardly be a blemish on thier record because of the mess they inherited...

It's the PERFECT NFL Job....

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I do hope Lerner talks to more than one person for this job....

I agree 100%. I mean, maybe we'll bring in Casserly and Holmgren to work together. I doubt it, but hey, might as well throw it out there.

But, we're going to HAVE to interview more than one because of the Rooney Rule. It might be a token interview, but it will have to take place.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It is a good day to see this. Holmgren would be my first selection. I would like to see a west coast style of offense, and someone that could work with Quinn. Holmgren has that in his background as well as having the front office credentials.

Hire the man, the sooner the better.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
Quote:

Hire the man, the sooner the better.

My sentiments exactly! We need a proven winner in town this time......PLEASE!!

O
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
O
In Packer lore, is Holmgren, Wolf, or both given credit for turning them into Super Bowl Champions? Who, what is given the most credit.

I suspect that we can credit Holmgren for turning the Seahawks into Super Bowl runners up. Too bad they had to play such a superior pittsburg team, that displayed such a dominant performance.

People, it all comes down to two words: Super Bowl. For those of us who have been diehards for over 40 years, nothing else really matters. Nothing.

Carmen Policy, Dwight Clark, they aren't the reasons why the 49's were Super Bowl Champions. Romeo isn't the reason why the Patriots were Super Bowl Champions. Casserly is probably the reason why the Texan's are average.

Super Bowl - Nothing else matters.

Nothing.

Get this done Randall.

Barry Bonds Check
Roger Clemens Check
Mark McGuire Check
Lance Armstrong Check

71-79 Steelers Taboo
(Lets pretend it didn't happen.)
A
All Pro
All Pro
A
j/k
I would be very happy with Holmgren.

R
All Pro
All Pro
R
Just clicking....

Regarding the Rooney rule.....if a minority does not apply for the position, would Lerner still have to comply? I mean they just can't go out and find a minority and interview them for the sake of interviewing a minority. That is just as bad as not interviewing one to begin with.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

"I hope it's true -- "someday" *COUGH* that we get a chance to talk *WINK* ....

Fixed.

I wonder how Lerner and Holmgren appreciate Jim Brown for speaking out of turn....again.........

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Holmgren is far and away my number one choose. That being said Casserly would not break my heart. As far as the Rooney Rule goes who out there do we really interview without being a token interview.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
I wonder if Lerner can just "interview" Jim Brown and call it a day.

I don't keep up with FO people around the league the way I did a decade ago, but I'm not very familiar with any well-qualified minorities who would bring a resume strong enough to be anointed a "Czar."

I could look it up, but I wonder where James "Shack" Harris is..............

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
N
Legend
Legend
N
we have to remember that 'minority' does not only include african americans.

we can easily interview our 'salary cap guru' and she will count towards the Rooney Rule.

i'd interview Tony Duncy just to sit down and talk with him for a few hours if I was Lerner (though I wouldn't hire him because he'd definitely want a Tampa-2 defense and that would be a complete reconstruction of our defense.....plus, he seems the least likely of the HCs to come back in this year)

#gmstrong
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Interviewing a woman for the position would be even more transparent than interviewing Jim Brown: Lerner wouldn't hire either one.

I don't think Dungy would agree to it because he's steadfast in his retirement.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Jim Brown isn't qualified for the job, but if a woman were, why wouldn't he hire her?

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Quote:

In Packer lore, is Holmgren, Wolf, or both given credit for turning them into Super Bowl Champions? Who, what is given the most credit

If memory serves correctly, Wolf was pretty much thought of as a guru,, but I seem to remember Holmgren fightling like mad to get Favre and Reggie White.. so what's that say.

One other point, Holmgren knows QB's..Boy do we need someone like that.....

Michelle,, I know you want Randy to interview more than one guy....So do I,, but right now, I can't think of anyone I'd rather have than Holmgren.....

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Here's my take.

It's out there, been scrolling across the ticker all afternoon that Holmgren is interested. I can see this motivating teams who intend to make changes to get after him. If he's remotely interested in you and you him can you afford to wait?

He who hesitates...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I was thinking that if Casserly has already interviewed (from the rumor Jim Brown started), I hope Lerner gets to Holmgren before making up his mind.

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Jim Brown isn't qualified for the job, but if a woman were, why wouldn't he hire her?

Because to the best of my knowledge there isn't a female exec who has a resume strong enough to qualify as being a "Czar."

Now that's not what you asked, because you said "IF a woman were......". If there was a woman qualified enough to handle that job, sure, give her a legit interview, but just like Jim Brown, fulfilling the terms of the Rule by interviewing them even though they aren't qualified becomes a transparent gambit.

This ain't a sexist thing. This is a "qualified" thing. To be a true "Czar" the candidates need to have a ton of GM experience because of all the duties entailed, and I'm not aware of any woman whose got that resume.

Jeez, Michelle...............We let y'all out of the kitchen so you could vote. What else do you want?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I was just asking.

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Quote:

Jeez, Michelle...............We let y'all out of the kitchen so you could vote. What else do you want?

And to add....it's called Women's Sufferage.

A better moniker has yet to be termed.

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I hope in the nix of all that VP soup there's a Heckert sighting..

Legend
Legend
Tickled to hear it from Holmgren's mouth to my eye. Brown might reference another party. Not long on Lerner's judgment or anyone's right now, except that the need is obvious and ongoing. Problem with moving heaven and earth is a long enough lever, but the real hard part is deciding where to set one's feet firmly. Think H is the man. Get er done; Cribbs under contract while you are signing thangs. JMHO

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

"There's something in my personality, too, that taking on those types of projects -- that kind of gets me going.

just clicking

I have been preparing myself for Holmgren to say he is "not interested" in any job with the Browns...and to be honest, who would blame him?

I thought Holmgren showed enormous respect for the Browns franchise and Randy Lerner.

Holmgren's comment above shows a little something about the man...looking at this possible opportunity as a challenge.

I'm a little shocked...cautiously optimistic...I actually feel like Lerner might have a chance to get Holmgren...

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
C
1st String
1st String
C
Quote:

Schefter, a few weeks ago reports it's Holmgren's job if he wants it, now Holmgren is on record as wanting the job. Lerner's on record now as saying he won't discuss the candidates or the process. Holmgren more than likely was the person Brown was referring and both Lerner and Holmgren will deny it as it's not a topic of discussion for the media as yet.

The signs are there but there still is a chance that Randy has not talked to Holmgren at this point. If it is true that it is Holmgren's job if he wants it and Holmgren says he is interested does it come down to money?

At this point it has to be another prospect or money, and it would take alot of money if I were Mike Holmgren to take this mess on.

Just wait till next season, I have heard that for over 40 years!
I
1st String
1st String
I
Don't underestimate the power of Ego to tempt quality candidates to a reclaimation project. Many of your top guys get motivated more by the vision of takeing a team from worst to first.

In addition, yes we have to interview a minority. Which is pretty demeaning to a guy when everyone knows that the job is really a lock by one candidate. JMO but i always thought there should be a clause to the Roony rule: That if only 1 person was interviewed and immediatly hired that the rule should not apply, in these cases the team really only had thier eye on one guy in the first place so why waste everyones time?

Ruining QB's since 1999.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
that is kinda how I see it too. He wants a challenge and any NFL coach worth his salt has to have a bit of an ego or at least a competative spirit.

Holmgren has stated in the recent past that he wanted to come to the east coast b/c the football atmosphere is more intense than on the laid back left coast,or something like that.
He also ruled out the Redskins b/c of the way the owner has treated Jim Zorn.

So if you you use a little deductive reasoning, Cleveland would be the place Holmgren had his sights on all along.

IMO and FWIW

Holmgren would be a great hire whether as GM or HC or Czar or waterboy.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Holmgren would be happy to interview for Browns Job

Link Copied to Clipboard