Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Practice Squad
OP Offline
Practice Squad
B
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2009/11/shaun_rogers_injury_is_the_cru.html

Source: Shaun Rogers out for season with leg injury, the latest blow to decimated defense
By Mary Kay Cabot
November 29, 2009, 8:02PM

UPDATED: 9:31 p.m.

CINCINNATI, Ohio -- As if 1-10 isn't bad enough, Shaun Rogers, the Browns' best defensive player, will miss the rest of the season with a leg injury, a league source said.

The exact nature of the injury is unknown, but it could be an ankle or an Achilles. The Browns' nose tackle hobbled through the locker room Sunday on crutches, with his lower left leg wrapped and his face looking distraught.

Rogers spent a few minutes huddled up with Robaire Smith at his locker, then limped into the trainers' room, unable to put any weight on his right leg. Smith, who came back from an Achilles injury that cost him most of 2008, had some words of encouragement for his good friend.

The nature of Rogers' injury is unknown, but it didn't look good, either when he was carted off the field with a little more than three minutes left -- or after the game.

"It's like one of your brothers getting hurt," said Smith. "Like I told him, everything happens for a reason, and he's got to do whatever he can to get it right. The key is to jump on it early."

Added linebacker David Bowens: "It's bad to see him on crutches like that. Baby is one of those players that wants to be in there making plays for us and right now he's really frustrated -- and it's totally understandable."

Rogers was one of four defensive starters --- including two linemen -- who left the game with injuries. The others were end Kenyon Coleman (knee), linebacker Kamerion Wimbley (knee) and safety Brodney Pool (head injury).

Coleman left the game in the second quarter, Pool in the third and Wimbley for the second and final time with about 1:48 remaining. The injuries took a toll on a defense that's already missing its two starting middle linebackers in D'Qwell Jackson and Eric Barton, contributing to the Bengals gashing the Browns for 210 yards rushing.

"It's frustrating," said Smith. "Three leaders on our defensive [front] just got hurt. You've got two defensive linemen and a linebacker that plays a lot on our defensive line, so it's discouraging."

"It's tough," said Bowens, who has replaced Barton at inside linebacker. "It's very unfortunate. Those are a lot of the guys that we base our defense on because of their talents and abilities. When all three of them go down, it's tough. It's a blow to the chest. We have to regroup. But I'm confident in the guys we have coming in for them."

Ahtyba Rubin replaced Rogers, who was blocked into teammate C.J. Mosley on a running play with 3:39 left in the game. Corey Williams and Mosley rotated at end in place of Coleman. The Browns threw newcomer Matt Roth into the starting lineup at outside linebacker to replace Trusnik, who moved inside of place of Kaluka Maiava.

If Wimbley has to miss time, Trusnik will probably move back outside and Maiava will go back in next to Bowens.

"We had quite a few guys go down, but that's when the backups have to step up and do their job," said Williams. "I hope I'll get more playing time, but I hate for it to come because of injury. I know Shaun is upset. Anytime you're injured, you're going to be upset. We'll get back to Cleveland and see what's wrong with him, because no one really knows. Hopefully it's not too bad."

Also of major concern is Pool. If he's diagnosed with a concussion, it will either be his fourth or fifth, depending on the nature of a head injury he suffered against the Lions in preseason. With the NFL's crackdown on concussions, Pool will be watched very closely. He might also give thought to whether or not he'd want to continue playing.

"Of course, I'm worried about him," said Eric Wright. "I didn't know until just now he had a head injury."

Some of the Browns newcomers made significant contributions Sunday. Roth, claimed off waivers Wednesday from Miami, finished with seven tackles, a sack, a tackle for a loss, and a quarterback hit.

"Roth came in, we all know he's a big physical linebacker, he put some pressure on the quarterback, and got him down a couple of times," said Smith. "He played well for us to only be here a couple of days."

Roth, who started 14 games for the Dolphins last season and had five sacks, practiced with the team only Thursday and Friday before getting the starting nod.

"Thursday's practice was my first day and my uncle died on Thanksgiving," he said. "It's been a tough week, but the guys were good in welcoming me."

Trusnik also stood out, tying Mike Adams for a team-high 10 tackles, including one for a loss.

"Trusnik's been coming in and making a lot of things happen ever since he got here," said Smith. "He's been playing a lot of different positions and doing a great job."

Based on the postgame injury picture, the Browns will need plenty more of that.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
1-15 here we come.

the san diego and pitt games will be massacres.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

4/25/2009: Signed a six-year, $72 million contract. The deal includes $41.75 million guaranteed. Another $6 million is available through incentives based on Stafford playing 35% of the offensive snaps as a rookie and 45% throughout the life of the deal. 2009: $3.1 million, 2010: $395,000, 2011: $1.17 million, 2012: $1.945 million, 2013: $2.72 million, 2014: $3.495 million, 2015: Free Agent

That's what Stafford got last year. Now add about 10% to that, labor issues notwithstanding.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Quote:

Quote:

4/25/2009: Signed a six-year, $72 million contract. The deal includes $41.75 million guaranteed. Another $6 million is available through incentives based on Stafford playing 35% of the offensive snaps as a rookie and 45% throughout the life of the deal. 2009: $3.1 million, 2010: $395,000, 2011: $1.17 million, 2012: $1.945 million, 2013: $2.72 million, 2014: $3.495 million, 2015: Free Agent

That's what Stafford got last year. Now add about 10% to that, labor issues notwithstanding.

If "I" was an NFL owner, there is no way I would EVER pay some unproven player a salary like that..no way

thats the biggest problem with football...thats just insane...there is noway I would pay ANY player that amount of money...that is just total insanity....insanity...

if a palyers agent contacted me demanding those numbers +10% I would tell him he was nuts, laugh, and tell him right then and there to tell his client forget it...he can sit out the year, no way im paying that kinda money. There would be no bargaining because there would be no conversation, there would be nothing to talk about.

no if the kid wants 4 years 15 mil, with 2 mill bonus, sure I could live with that...72 million...not when hades freezes over...no way im giving some unproven college kid 42 million dollars....some owner needs to take a stand on this kinda stuff..its insane...

why bother to even compete? even if the kid is 3 and done, he still walks off with 42 million..there is no incentive for the kid to perform well...who needs a raise when you get 41 mill if you suck or not?

G
2nd String
2nd String
G
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If "I" was an NFL owner, there is no way I would EVER pay some unproven player a salary like that..no way

thats the biggest problem with football...thats just insane...there is noway I would pay ANY player that amount of money...that is just total insanity....insanity...

if a palyers agent contacted me demanding those numbers +10% I would tell him he was nuts, laugh, and tell him right then and there to tell his client forget it...he can sit out the year, no way im paying that kinda money. There would be no bargaining because there would be no conversation, there would be nothing to talk about.

no if the kid wants 4 years 15 mil, with 2 mill bonus, sure I could live with that...72 million...not when hades freezes over...no way im giving some unproven college kid 42 million dollars....some owner needs to take a stand on this kinda stuff..its insane...

why bother to even compete? even if the kid is 3 and done, he still walks off with 42 million..there is no incentive for the kid to perform well...who needs a raise when you get 41 mill if you suck or not?

Which is why a LOT of Teams do not want to pick in the Top 3 Spots, as about the 6th Pick is the best spot in the Draft and on.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Quote:

the san diego and pitt games will be massacres.

They won't be massacres.

Teams know they don't have to really score any points to beat us. They'll pound the ball for 4 to 5 yards a clip, chew up clock, laugh it up on the sideline, wonder if it's a real NFL team they are playing, and cruise to an easy low scoring victory.

There is no reason at all for teams to open up their offense against us.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
I agree with that. They do need to do something about the rookie contracts.

Jamarcus Russell is a perfect example. What incentive does he have to be good?? He has 30 million guaranteed, plus his base salary. They say he's the last person in, and the first to leave when it comes to practice.

Grab the money and run.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
I have to disagree. Pitt loves to beat our ass in our own stadium. Remember the christmas eve massacre 4 years ago?? Big Ben will have a field day against our sorry defense. San Diego is playing some of their best ball of the year. They feast on sorry teams like ours. See Kansas City.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Therein lies the reason for our defense looking "good". It's not because they are that good, but because teams know they don't have to score many points. That's why Detroit was able to score on us with such ease.

B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
Oh man this sucks. In the long run I hope he is able to recover and rejoin the team 'next year.' I hope this doesn't end up like a Bently type of injury.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Rogers has a broken ankle.

Pool another concussion.

Looks like we'll need two safeties next year.

http://cle.scout.com/a.z?s=149&p=9&c=2&cid=924449&nid=4209189&fhn=1

http://cle.scout.com/a.z?s=149&p=9&c=2&cid=924450&nid=4209185&fhn=1

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

Shaun Rodgers out for season

Well, that answers my question of, "How can this team get any worse?"

Politicians are puppets, y'all. Let's get Geppetto!

Formerly 4yikes2yoshi0
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Pool's season and career as a Brown may be over. He is a free agent at the end of the season.

http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=By+Team&y=2010

May as well get a safety from some other team's PS.

Last edited by Line Judge; 11/30/09 03:24 AM.
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

Pool's season and career as a Brown may be over.

Regardless he needs to be replaced, as does 95% of our team.

Legend
Legend
damn..

Well Rubin will be starting at NT now... the LB's are gonna have to step it up.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

damn..

Well Rubin will be starting at NT now... the LB's are gonna have to step it up.

My thinking is Rubin is going to have to step it up.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

the LB's are gonna have to step it up.

99% of our LB need replaced, the ones that dont are on IR

Atleast Matt Roth will get to play before leaving as a FA at the end of the year.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
If they don't hammer out a new CBA, Roth will belong to us for another season.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
R
Rookie
Rookie
R
Why does everyone on this board spell is last name "Rodgers"?!?!?

It's ROGERS! He's never played QB for the Pack.

I can't see us winning any games without him. He's the only player on our defense that scares the offense.

Much respect to ya, even if you wish me the opposite...
Legend
Legend
Rogers is a great player, no doubt. His absence will definitely be felt.

That being said, I think we all need to remember that we lost 10 games WITH the guy. So, let's not go jumping off a bridge as if him being healthy would miraculously lead us to victories.

Whenever I think of injuries affecting a team, I think about the Colts. Imagine if you were a Colts fan and Peyton Manning got hurt, lost for the season. Talk about feeling as if your season just want down the tubes.

Rogers is going to be missed. But, let's face it, our season wasn't hinging on whether he was healthy or not.

JMHO

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

Rogers has a broken ankle.

that is actually good news, still out for the year but a much better injury to deal with then a ruptured achilles.

Rubin played solid in the preseason- maybe he can hold his own.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
My thinking is Rubin is going to have to step it up.

Even if Rubin steps it up there's nothing behind him to do anything..Miava is another undersized LB..didn't we see enough of that with Jackson?
Now they bring in Roth..and moved Trunsik to his spot..there's nothing in the LB spot to do anything..no one..Manpolen won't play the rookie..

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
As much as this blows....this is an opportunity to steal some PS guys from other teams that could be usefull for the upcoming seasons

Here are some names:

S Langford - Eagles
DT/NT Hendricks - Giants
G Isdaner - Eagles
G Reynolds - Eagles
TE Bear Pascoe - Giants
RB Ian Johnson - Vikings
G J.Thomas - Colts
WR F.Brown - Bengals
OT Cadogan - Chargers

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
There goes the playoffs.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Well now we're screwed. lol.

Maybe Furry can step in at NT.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Maybe Furry can step in at NT.

I was thinking he might be able to play RG or RT as well.

[Linked Image from i45.tinypic.com]
N
Legend
Legend
N
honestly.......good.

I want Suh. Suh will go #1 overall.....when watching, I will always cheer for us to win the game.....but....shutting down Rogers and getting Suh is not a bad consolation prize if it ends up that way.

#gmstrong
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

honestly.......good.

I want Suh. Suh will go #1 overall.....when watching, I will always cheer for us to win the game.....but....shutting down Rogers and getting Suh is not a bad consolation prize if it ends up that way.

Except for paying a DT 80 mill dollars and making him the highest paid DE in the league.

Go Browns!!

[Linked Image]
N
Legend
Legend
N
ask Houston how that turned out with Mario Williams
for the 3-4 example....ask NE how it turned out with Richard Seymour

DL is a worthy investment when you get an elite talent.....I happen to believe Suh is an elite talent

#1 picks should almost always be QB, LT, DL in that order. There is an argument for Berry this year but typically that position doesn't have the same value.

We have our LT.....I don't think any QB is worth #1 this year.....and I also happen to think Suh has been the best player in college football this year.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Except for paying a DT 80 mill dollars and making him the highest paid DE in the league.

Let me shape things for you..while I am against overpaying any unproven rookie that kind of money..there is no offensive player worth it next year.
No RB/QB coming out are worth a top five pick..
They might be slated that but from a instant playmaker stance..none are..they're just better than what this team currently has
That said you go to the most obvious playmaker on the board..Suh wouldn't be rated that high if he wasn't good..and he is..
Rodgers is 31 next year and when he goes out the dropoff is there..
No telling how he'll recover from this injury ...if I'm a the GM I want that Dline fixed...

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

Let me shape things for you..while I am against overpaying any unproven rookie that kind of money..there is no offensive player worth it next year.
No RB/QB coming out are worth a top five pick..
They might be slated that but from a instant playmaker stance..none are..they're just better than what this team currently has
That said you go to the most obvious playmaker on the board..Suh wouldn't be rated that high if he wasn't good..and he is..
Rodgers is 31 next year and when he goes out the dropoff is there..
No telling how he'll recover from this injury ...if I'm a the GM I want that Dline fixed...

Rogers and Suh are unrelated as Suh is NOT a 3-4 NT. Suh doesn't have the girth to be a 3-4 NT. If you want to draft someone to replace Shaun Rogers draft Terrance Cody but do not draft Suh. Suh will be a 3-4 DE.

I think Safety and LB are far greator need than DE. Shoot our starting Safety just had his 5th concussion. How many more before his career is over? How about Abram Elam does he even start on other teams? Defensive Line is our one average to barely above average unit and I would hate to put another 80 mill dollars into it.

Look every year people say there isn't a franchise QB. I swear it happens all the time. Look there were people who though Leaf was more of a franchise player than Peyton. We don't have a QB and it is fairly clear to everyone we need a QB. We need to find a veteran in FA or we need to find a QB in the draft. The NFL is a QB driven league and without one we will be drafting in the top 10 until we find one.

Go Browns!!

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

1-15 here we come.

I think that was on it's way long before Rogers got hurt.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I know what Suh is..and outside of Rodgers do the Browns have one impact DLinemen??
I'm not talking about Rodgers replacement..I'm talking impact on the front 7..
Suh would have the DE spot locked down and start immediately..

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
"Suh would have the DE spot locked down and start immediately.."
Not if Mangini is still here.
Suh is an absolute terror on the d-line,but he doesn't look like he can play ST's,that could make him inactive.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
Legend
Legend
Unless this Suh character can play linebacker, we don't need him right now (at least not as urgently as we need help elsewhere).

We run a 3-4 and we have, at best, mediocre linebackers across the board. Our best are backups and special teamers on most any other team.
On top of that, the guys behind and outside of our linebackers aren't much better. DLine is the one spot we don't completely suck.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

N
Legend
Legend
N
i agree with your premise....but when you have a chance at an elite playmaker...you take the elite playmaker.

i wouldn't be completely opposed to dropping a few spots and picking up Hughes (TCU) or Kindle (UT) for OLB....but i would prefer to just stick in there and draft Suh.

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

i agree with your premise....but when you have a chance at an elite playmaker...you take the elite playmaker.

i wouldn't be completely opposed to dropping a few spots and picking up Hughes (TCU) or Kindle (UT) for OLB....but i would prefer to just stick in there and draft Suh.

Problem is, "elite" play makers in college don't translate into elite play makers in the nfl.

The "experts" miss on half or more of their "can't miss studs" coming out of college.

Drafting high in the first round? That's a disaster waiting to happen in my opinion.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I agree, I want Suh at least as an overall #1. There just isn't a sure fired #1 this year. Isn't that what we said last year? Maybe one LB we drafted will pan out & another in FA will work out. We need Offense bad. If we could trade down to say #5, #6, we could get that Alabama RB? We need play makers on offense.

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
I agree with you to a point. I just wonder how much longer we will be running the 3-4. If the Tuna comes in then yes, he will probably bring in a guy who like the 3-4. (I don't think the Tuna is even an option) Also Cowher would probably run the 3-4.

After those two guys who else of the coaches we would covet also run this defense. If Holmgren was hired we would probably switch to the 4-3. As far as I know he has never been on a team that ran the 3-4.

If we did in fact make the switch I could easily see Suh being our number one pick. I also think making the switch would be a good idea since LB seems to be our weakest link on the D side of the ball and some of the guys we have would be better in the 4-3 anyway.

Legend
Legend
Passing on real impact defender like suh, berry, or McCoy fora mediocre pass rusher like kindle might just be the straw that broke the camel's back for this browns fan. I haven't seen enough of Hughes to comment but NO THANKS to kindle as a linebacker. We miss enough tackles as it is.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Shaun Rodgers out for season

Link Copied to Clipboard