Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A
Alpoe19 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
A
Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez says the Big Ten will soon make a more aggressive push toward adding a 12th member.

Speaking to Wisconsin's athletic board on Friday, Alvarez, the former longtime Badgers football coach, said the conference already has investigated possibilities for expansion "from all over the country." And though he places no timetable on the search, Alvarez thinks conference commissioner Jim Delany will respond to a group of athletic directors and coaches who want expansion.

"I have a sense he is going to take this year to really be more aggressive about it," Alvarez told the board. "I just think everybody feels [expansion] is the direction to go, coaches and administrators."

Penn State football coach Joe Paterno has been the most vocal advocate of a 12th Big Ten team, and he has support from several of his fellow coaches.

A 12th team would allow the Big Ten to split into divisions and hold a conference championship game. The Big Ten typically ends its football season two weeks before the other BCS conferences, though the addition of a permanent bye week in 2010 will shrink the gap by a week.

"We're irrelevant for the last three weeks of the football season because we're not playing," Alvarez said Friday.

Paterno has stumped for expansion several times, but Delany -- who was unavailable for comment -- told ESPN.com this spring that the league has no immediate plans to add a 12th team.

"There's not an obvious move," Delany said in May. "There might be to some coaches, including Coach Paterno, but it's not as obvious to the university presidents and to the athletic directors.

"There are a lot [of schools] that could take a lot away, but there aren't a lot that could bring so much to make the choice an easy one. You have to have a lot to make something go like this, and it's broader than really a championship game or a basketball tournament."

The Big Ten most recently expanded with Penn State, which began competing as a league member in football in 1993. The league has made runs at Notre Dame but hasn't had serious discussions for several years.

Adam Rittenberg covers Big Ten football for ESPN.com. He can be reached at espnritt@gmail.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=4735336

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
It's about darn time!

Add WVU, Cincy, Pitt or even ND and I'll be fine. I have also heard that Rutgers could be a candidate.

you had a good run Hank.
Legend
Legend
Pitt makes sense to me.

Keeping the name "Big Ten" does not make sense though....need to update that once this goes through.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
I would rather dump one,....but that cannot happen.

How about Navy ? Rather than steal a team from another conference -- that kinda irks me,...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

It's about darn time!

Add WVU, Cincy, Pitt or even ND and I'll be fine. I have also heard that Rutgers could be a candidate.

Cincy, Pitt and ND are out. The big 10 said their new goal is to add a school that would also add a state to the big 10. I'd say Rutgers or WV will be the top canidates.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
A
Legend
Legend
A
I'd be in favor of getting ND. At this point, it wouldn't lend any more credibility to the conference. But it would bring in dollars. ND wouldn't gain much - from a dollar standpoint or a record standpoint. But it would help OSU.

Legend
Legend
That's the thing.....the Big Ten wants ND. It's a perfect addition for them, not for ND. ND can make the same or more money without joining the Big Ten. And by joining, they might lose out on some of their yearly opponents.

ND won't join, ever.

Pitt seems logical. Rutgers...too far away.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
About a year ago I read a story about how the Big 10 is confident that they won't be able to get ND, but they do want to add a school. But they said with the Big 10 Network they would like to add a State to the Big 10. With that being said Pitt would be out because of Penn St., Cincy is out because of Ohio State. That leaves two real possibilities. Rutgers or WV. And Rutgers is not much farther than Minnesota if you are measuring from the middle of the Big 10 territory.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I remember hearing that same thing.

Rutgers seems like the most logical choice.

West Virginia would be the coolest because it would set up a potential Rich Rod visit to West Virginia.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I forgot the other stipulation they had was the new state has to border a current Big 10 state.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Well New Jersey borders Pennsylvania and West Virginia borders Ohio.

How about Buffalo or Syracuse?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

About a year ago I read a story about how the Big 10 is confident that they won't be able to get ND, but they do want to add a school. But they said with the Big 10 Network they would like to add a State to the Big 10. With that being said Pitt would be out because of Penn St., Cincy is out because of Ohio State. That leaves two real possibilities. Rutgers or WV. And Rutgers is not much farther than Minnesota if you are measuring from the middle of the Big 10 territory.

Good call on your geography,....

Let's revisit Navy,...though it would probably be very tough for them to compete on a recruiting basis, they wouldn't be any worse than the Minnesota's or Indiana's of the League, who I would consider letting go to reduce the size of the Conference--if indeed the goal is to get to two divisions in order to have a Title Game--Navy is a top-flight (NPI) educational institution and would bring their rich traditional perspective to the Conference. I believe Navy would be a great football fit, but don't know about how that might/could affect other sports, i.e. BB.

No stealing from another Conference,...get to 12,...not a big geographical deal.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

I would rather dump one,....but that cannot happen.

How about Navy ? Rather than steal a team from another conference -- that kinda irks me,...

Army, Navy, and ND are the only three I believe not affiliated with a conference in football. All three are affiliated with conferences in basketball, so we'd be stealing someone regardless.

To me Pitt makes the most sense, a natural rival with Penn State. Notre Dame also makes a lot of sense. I guess Louisville and West Virginia if we want to add a new state...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think they will have to steal from another confrence. I don't think Navy would be on the Big 10 radar. If they want to add a school that will give the Big 10 an upgrade in talent would be WV. If they can't get them then Rutgers, Syracuse, Buffalo in that order.

Legend
Legend
Yeah, I overlooked basketball,...sorry about that.

I agree Pitt is a good fit, but that apparently violates the "add a new State" codicile,...as would ND. In that light, West Virginia would be your man,....

I guess another thing is, unless you either split Ohio State and Michigan out into separate 'divisions',...and/or eliminate their annual contest, they could never meet in this "Title Game." Yuk.

Right now, I am anti, unless the fit is right. But I will go with whatever happens. I don't call the shots.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Yeah, I overlooked basketball,...sorry about that.

I agree Pitt is a good fit, but that apparently violates the "add a new State" codicile,...as would ND. In that light, West Virginia would be your man,....

I guess another thing is, unless you either split Ohio State and Michigan out into separate 'divisions',...and/or eliminate their annual contest, they could never meet in this "Title Game." Yuk.

Right now, I am anti, unless the fit is right. But I will go with whatever happens. I don't call the shots.

If you put Ohio State and Michigan in seperate "divisions" then that mucks up the scheduling...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Don't be burdened by regrets or make your failures an obsession or become embittered or possessed by ruined hopes"
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
How about OU?

Please?

Legend
Legend
Maybe,...but then the MAC would need a team, and that could be Army,...

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

It's about darn time!

Cincy, Pitt and ND are out. The big 10 said their new goal is to add a school that would also add a state to the big 10. I'd say Rutgers or WV will be the top canidates.

That makes sense...adding another state.

WV is a possibility. I also think Syracuse would be another to the east.

South...Louisville

West...Missouri would be a great addition

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
J
Rookie
Rookie
J
I've always thought mizzou would fit in very well with the big ten. A solid team in a big ten region somewhat...hard to pry them away from the big 12 though...

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
I would much rather have to worry about basically facing the Vest once a year than to worry about the loaded teams that Stoops and Brown always have...

Politicians are puppets, y'all. Let's get Geppetto!

Formerly 4yikes2yoshi0
J
All Pro
All Pro
J
Quote:

"There are a lot [of schools] that could take a lot away, but there aren't a lot that could bring so much to make the choice an easy one.

I think this is what would keep most of the schools mentioned from being added. JMO

Although I would be all for adding another team.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
West Virginia has always been my first choice.

But would that mean they wouldn't get to face Pitt at the end of each season for the "Backyard Brawl?" That wouldn't go down well w/ a LOT of people.

N
All Pro
All Pro
N
Quote:

I forgot the other stipulation they had was the new state has to border a current Big 10 state.

Darn, guess that eliminates App. State ,.

Oh well, Michigan wouldn't want us anyway

Born and breed with OSU, App. State alumni, but bleed orange and brown.

Go ARMY......Beat Navy!!!!!!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

If you put Ohio State and Michigan in seperate "divisions" then that mucks up the scheduling...

Not really, the SEC purposely schedules to allow this. Each school gets one from the other divison to play every year. Florida-LSU, Tennessee-Alabama, and so on. Then they just rotate two conference games a year between the other five schools in the other division to go along with the 5 division conference games.

Also, the Big Ten doesn't have to go North-South like the Big 12, it could go East-West like the SEC. However then you end up with a power division like the Big 12 South with OSU, PSU, and UM in the same division.

North-South possibility:
North:
Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Northwestern
South:
Ohio State, Penn State, Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, WV/Louisville/Rutgers

East-West possibility:
East:
Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan State, Michigan, Indiana, WV/Rutgers/Louisville
West:
Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Northwestern, Illinois, Purdue

LIbertatem Defendimus!!

2010 Dawgtalkers NCAA Bracket Challenge Champ!!
All Pro
All Pro
You know this is a debate that seems to come up every so often, and in the end it looks inevitable. The main thing pushing it forward is the Big 10 Network and the desire to add one more major TV market. Which is why Mizzou, Louisville, and Rutgers make sense. Another name that has been mentioned in the past is Colorado.

[Linked Image]

When it gets cold and snows and the wind blows, you gotta be able to run the ball. - TR
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
What about teams like Utah or Boise St.? These teams have been wanting a legit shot at the BCS title game. What better way than from a conference like the Big 10?

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
Rookie
Rookie
I say grab Missouri from the Big Ten. There is a good rivalry with Illinois, good TV market, and a road into the Texas HS recruiting pipeline. If Mizzou jump, hopefully it cascades the other conferences. For Instance, If Mizzou jump, TCU would be a great fit in the Big 12 and instant BCS worthiness, Then Boise would jump to MWC.

IMO, i like Mizzou

Legend
Legend
I like this idea.

Mizzou or WVU.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
There were negotiations in the late 1990's for Notre Dame to join the Big10, and it's my belief that the Big10 would hold out adding another team until ND decides to join.

The tv contract with NBC that ND has was recently extended, so any chance of them joining would probably have to allow them to maintain their rights to negotiate TV deals as they have for many years, and then how would that play out with rights to show the game on the Big10 network??

A few teams that have been named make sense geographically and as far as making potential new rivalry games, but from a business standpoint Notre Dame is far and away the leading candidate and you can never say never.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c...

I think it was OooRah, or maybe no_logo_ that brought it to my attention.

But, you gotta remember, the Big Ten has very high academic standards. That schools like Cincinnati can't meet. So, UC is not a possibility.

Rutgers makes the most sense. High academic standards. They'd benefit from the move. Big Ten would get their 12th team to have a conference championship game. Plus, the Big Ten would get some of that big market exposure in New York.

Rutgers makes perfect sense.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If Rutgers were to pull out of the Big East that would leave them 7 football member schools and ineligible for BCS consideration.....could they and would they pull out?

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
If I remember the last time this came up they said they were targeting Syracuse as an option as they felt that New York had a burgeoning college football crowd.

ND just needs to get off their high horse and join.

Boise State and Utah are too far out to join.

If The Big Ten were to pull a Big East team, would that mean that the MWC would be more legit?

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

j/c...

But, you gotta remember, the Big Ten has very high academic standards. That schools like Cincinnati can't meet. So, UC is not a possibility.

Rutgers makes the most sense. High academic standards. They'd benefit from the move. Big Ten would get their 12th team to have a conference championship game. Plus, the Big Ten would get some of that big market exposure in New York.

Thank you for remembering and putting this in here

Also, besides UC, teams listed above that would not fit the academic profile include: Mizzou, WVU, Louisville, and I would have to check on Syracuse.

Pitt and Rutgers are the two schools that are close in geography that fit the profile. Pitt has the natural rivalry with PSU.....Rutgers has the NYC and NJ markets. So, Rutgers makes the most sense for the Big10.

#gmstrong
A
Alpoe19 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
A
What's wrong with Mizzou's academic standards.?? They have one of the best Journalism departments, and their business school isn't bad either.

J
All Pro
All Pro
J
yea I am not so sure about that either, my brother almost went to UC because of their pharmacy program reputation. (he went to UK instead) I really doubt that has much to do with anything. I am a huge OSU fan but c'mon Katzenmoyer made it at OSU, did you ever watch any interviews with this guy?

N
Legend
Legend
N
that is true. however, the university on a whole doesn't stack up with the rest of the big10 (#102).

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/national-universities-rankings/state+MO

No big10 school is below #71.

#12 Northwestern
#27 Michigan
#39 Illinois
#39 Wisconsin
#47 Penn State
#53 Ohio State
#61 Purdue
#61 Minnesota
#71 Indiana
#71 Michigan State
#71 Iowa

Also, research budgets, white papers, patents, et cetera would all be factored in when the university presidents discuss any potential addition.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

j/c...

Thank you for remembering and putting this in here

Also, besides UC, teams listed above that would not fit the academic profile include: Mizzou, WVU, Louisville, and I would have to check on Syracuse.

Pitt and Rutgers are the two schools that are close in geography that fit the profile. Pitt has the natural rivalry with PSU.....Rutgers has the NYC and NJ markets. So, Rutgers makes the most sense for the Big10.

I initially and deliberately brought up academic standards for two reasons-it was one of the leading factors in allowing Penn State "in," and (2) there would NO problem with a school like Navy,....(I have come to recognize though that they could be a "geography" problem, and that is why, if at all, I lean more toward WVU or Pitt, rather than Mizz.) I do not think the Big Ten will ever get ND,...and now, with a new coach, they will even wait it out longer to see what, or if, he can accomplish anything. They do not "need" a conference,....

J
All Pro
All Pro
J
This is strictly just my opinion, but I just don't see what bringing in a school with high academic standings would bring to the Big Ten. The knock on the Big Ten right now has to do with athletic ability from top to bottom. When PSU was brought onboard the Big Ten was already held in high regards.

Bringing in another school just to have one does nothing unless they are a competitive school. Again JMHO, I may be way off base.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

What's wrong with Mizzou's academic standards.?? They have one of the best Journalism departments, and their business school isn't bad either.

There is nothing wrong with them.

This idea the big 10 has these high standards is just talk.

They aren't tier II schools by any means, but we don't need to be talking like it rivals the Ivy league.

They have a couple of very good schools and a bunch of good schools...Missouri or WV would fit right in the and be competitive in that department.

It wouldn't be like allowing the retarded brother to join the party.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Big 10 may soon look to add 12th team

Link Copied to Clipboard