Next Thread
Print Thread
#444323 12/14/09 12:53 AM
B
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
B
This weekend I received in the mail a letter from IC System Inc., a debt collection agency on a balance due to eBay. It says my account is past due. However, I have NO account with eBay. Never have.

I had an online chat with an eBay rep., explained my dilemma, and was told to allow 2-3 days for them to do, whatever it is that they do.

Has anyone here ever dealt with eBay on a level at or near this problem?
Are they good at resolving these things?
How do I find out if someone is using my name/address but not my credit card information?
Any legal advice?
I don't like being at someone else's mercy, I want to actively do something, any ideas? I have never been through anything like this before.

I am both angry and frightened.

L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Immediately obtain a credit report, and contact your credit card agencies and explain the situation to them.

Never dealt with ebay...however, credit card companies are very good at this sort of thing.

~Lyuokdea

~Lyuokdea
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Some kid I used to go to school with just got popped for identity theft, forgery, and possession of criminal tools. He thought it would be a good idea to use his personal computer to print up fraudulent checks. He then enlisted the help of a couple accomplices to convince other people to cash the checks. He promised those who cashed the checks a percentage of the amount after they had cashed the checks.

Surprisingly, his scheme worked for about a month. Then it all came crashing down.

He was charged with receiving stolen property and identity theft months ago--but the charges were dismissed on motion of the prosecutor. With these additional charges---I think he is going to go to the big house. Plus, one of the ID's that he used to scap a bunch of stolen copper pipes was a military ID, so I am pretty sure its a federal matter.

The kid was always an idiot. Now he is gonna get some time to think aobut his actions.

I guess he cashed 13 of those made up checks. I am wondering if that means he is gonna face 13 counts of forgery?

Anyone have any idea of what kind of punishment this guy will get?

I really hope he goes away for a long long long time.

I wish to wash my Irish wristwatch......
B
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
B
Thanks, I took your advice and looked at my reports. I don't have anything unusual on my credit reports or any bank statements. eBay never collected the funds which was over 100 dollars.

I am wondering if whomever did this has nothing else but my name and address and used it to create a fake account or fake transaction. I do know of several former employees where I work that did business on eBay.

Is there an agency I can talk to? Or do I have to get a lawyer I wonder.

I am incredibly nervous now .

R
Legend
Legend
R
Some advice to prevent identity theft:

1. Every account you or anyone else owns should be accessible by computer. Check your accounts daily. You should know right away if something is amiss.

2. Sign up for a protection plan like Equifax Credit Report Watch. It's $99 / year. They'll let you know if anything changes on your credit report usually in about 48 hours after the change.

3. Additionally, for an extra $2 / month, you can lock your Equifax Credit Report meaning no one can check your credit or more importantly obtain a loan without first unlocking it. I'm sure the other credit bureaus offer the same thing.

Point is to be proactive, and all the tools are out there to do so. If you are always watching everything and catch it early, it will be much easier to deal with.

Also, if you are always watching everything and have you credit report on lock down, you'll be able to tell right away when something like this ebay thing comes along that it's most likely a scam.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I don't use eBay very often, and only to purchase, not sell, but if I understand everything correctly, the only way you could owe money to eBay itself would be in the listing fees and percentages of the transaction amounts that they take. This would make me believe that if someone were using your identity in a way that caused you to owe money to eBay then they would have to be selling things on eBay under your name, which seems a bit bizarre. Maybe there are other fees that you can owe to eBay...like I said, I've only ever bought on there so all of my transactions involve paying the seller.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Is it possible the letter you received is a scam? Maybe you don't owe anything and the letter itself is being used to get your personal and financial info. Check with the Better Business Bureau.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
F
Legend
Legend
F
Call IC systems and ask them to read you the SS# on the collection report.

If it doesn't match yours (and don't tell them yours) or they can't provide one, tell them to go to .... until they can confirm they have the right person.

I occasionally get collection calls for someone with my same name, who I have verified lives within 10 miles of where I am. But the SS# is always the ringer when they read it off and I tell them they have the wrong guy.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
I didn't know that Ebay had accounts.. I thought if you bought something on Ebay, you had to pay by some other means.. like Paypal which I think Ebay owns.

I bet you I've spent 3 or 4 thousand bucks on Ebay with car part purchases.. and not once did I ever have to pay Ebay anything directly. You always pay the seller and you gotta use Paypal or a credit card or something like that....

This sounds strange to me..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
F
Legend
Legend
F
If your a seller you have charges based on the price of the item you sold, and fees.

They tried to come after me for $2.20 from a stereo I sold on there. I had paid it through PayPal, and had the receipt, but they kept hounding me, even after sending them a copy of the receipt several times.

I finally told them to stick it, and registered a new account to buy things.

L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Quote:

Call IC systems and ask them to read you the SS# on the collection report.

If it doesn't match yours (and don't tell them yours) or they can't provide one, tell them to go to .... until they can confirm they have the right person.

I occasionally get collection calls for someone with my same name, who I have verified lives within 10 miles of where I am. But the SS# is always the ringer when they read it off and I tell them they have the wrong guy.

Good call... i didn't catch that when reading through late last night.

The whole thing sounds fishy.

~Lyuokdea

~Lyuokdea
B
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
B
First off, I cannot thank all of you enough for taking the time to give good advice and I take comfort in that I really do. I am stressed out and scared and this is really reassuring.

The collection agency . . . for a few particulars, seems legit. So do they HAVE to have a SS#?

Quote:

My real name is a bit rare. I would be willing to wager maybe a 50 people tops could probably have my name. (the last name is rare) In fact, as far as I know, only two people in all of Ohio, I being one of. It could be mistaken identity but would I be correct in saying that whomever opened an account on eBay with my particulars did NOT have my social?

Quote:

This would make me believe that if someone were using your identity in a way that caused you to owe money to eBay then they would have to be selling things on eBay under your name, which seems a bit bizarre.

So this lowlife who did this is trying to avoid paying I don't know what you would call it . . . .the commission for listing an item?

So what would be the chances of catching this guy?

So all of you know, I followed Rishuz' advice, called Experian, put a credit hold on me for 90 days just in case, there is nothing out of the ordinary there, a couple of inquires into my account from eBay and directTV are odd, I don't use either of them, never have.

I called the police and filed a report. And I am contemplating calling the FTC.

Again, thank you all for taking the time. It really means alot to me.

L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Quote:

First off, I cannot thank all of you enough for taking the time to give good advice and I take comfort in that I really do. I am stressed out and scared and this is really reassuring.

The collection agency . . . for a few particulars, seems legit. So do they HAVE to have a SS#?

They should.... there's been a rash of crimes where people call up claiming to be a credit agency, and then try to strong arm people into giving them money.... they could have just looked you up in a phone book

Getting a credit lock from experian etc. is a good idea.

~Lyuokdea

~Lyuokdea
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

They should.... there's been a rash of crimes where people call up claiming to be a credit agency, and then try to strong arm people into giving them money.... they could have just looked you up in a phone book

Most definitely. I keep getting calls from HSBC Collections. I have NEVER had an account with them or any of the companies financing that they manage (Best Buy etc). They're calling my business line and demanding money. I told them I wouldn't give dime one until they could tell me my SS#. Of course, they couldn't.

So, I googled the numbers that they've called from and there is a great site out there about these numbers (800notes.com or something like that). The numbers have a TON of complaints and one of their collection agents says on the site (anonymously, of course) that we should just all pay them what they tell us we owe. (ain't that a load of you know what?)

Long and short of it, call the Collection Agency, make them prove to you that it IS you (SS#). Like was said before, DO NOT offer up your number to them, make them tell you. HSBC seems like a legit bank, but their Collection department makes me NEVER want to do business with them EVER!

[Linked Image from i75.photobucket.com]

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
The other side of that is, when someone has already gotten your social security number........then what?

L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Quote:

The other side of that is, when someone has already gotten your social security number........then what?

Well...that takes you to step 2 of figuring out how this isn't legit....but it's a good first step

~Lyuokdea

~Lyuokdea
C
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
C
If you prove that someone has stolen you identity, that is a crime that can (and should) be reported to a local law enforcement agency. If you have a police report it will make fighting the fraudulent account a little easier.

Of course it's a misdemeanor to file a false report, so the fact that you did file the report should in theory go a long way towards helping to resolve the dispute. Though it's never that simple.

But like the advise above, have the collections agency send prove to you that the debt is "yours". Make them mail you the proof. If they can't or won't, tell them to stop calling you. If they fail to do so, report them for 1) violating "Do Not Call" and 2) to any appropriate regulatory agency and/or your state's attorney general.

Good luck.

Original Dawg Talkers Pick'ems Champion

Dawg Talk Member Since: 08/24/01
F
Legend
Legend
F
If someone has and is using your SS# then you get the law involved because chances are it won't stop with ebay.

My bet is though, that if it's ebay, it's not a SS# theft. They tend to open CC cards, bank account, buy cars, houses, etc.

To create a seller account on Ebay, I think you only need a CC # to verify your identity. Therefore, therefore they most likely don't have your SS#. Ask them to verify the CC# with you.

Quote:

1. Verify your identity.

To help us provide a safe environment for the eBay community, you need to provide credit card or debit card information. In some cases, you'll also need to provide your checking account information. Your personal information is protected by eBay's Privacy Policy and encrypted by industry-standard SSL technology. If you don't have a credit card or checking account, or don't want to submit this information, you can verify your identity using ID Verify.
Verify your identity with your credit card information

Your card won't be charged unless you authorize eBay to use it to pay your seller fees, which are charged only when you list or sell items.

To ensure your card is accepted:

Make sure your credit card number is correct.

Check your address - it must match the billing address on your monthly statement.

Verify that your account has been activated.

Make sure your credit card or debit card account is in good standing.

Make sure your account doesn't have an Internet or phone order block.

For debit cards, use only those with Visa or MasterCard logos.

If you need more help with your credit card or debit card, contact your card issuer.
Verifying your identity with your checking account information

Your account information is used for identification purposes only. eBay deducts fees from your account only if you authorize eBay to use it to pay your seller fees.

To ensure your checking account goes on file:

Make sure your routing number is correct. You’ll find your routing number on the bottom of your checks, usually between the symbols. Routing numbers are 9 digits long. If you don’t have a check available, ask your bank for your routing number.

Make sure your checking account number is correct. You’ll find your checking account number on the bottom of your checks, usually before the symbol.

If you need more help, contact your bank.

Verifying your identity with ID Verify

If you don't have a credit card or don't want to have your card on file, you can establish proof of identity with ID Verify. It will be valid until your name, home address, or phone number change. You'll be charged for this service only when you complete the process.
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/seller_account.html#verify />

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Help, possible ID Theft?

Link Copied to Clipboard