Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Legend
Legend
My bad, I was responding to the post without looking at who the poser was... I mean poster. No I don't. Really.

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Does anyone else think all the bull about Mrs. H being "settled in Seattle" is bull ?

That kind of money moves anybody,....

8-10 mil a year for 5 years will more than buy a nice house in all 50 states should you so desire.

O
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
O
I think she probably is settled in Seattle and he is probably really unsettled out of football.

Barry Bonds Check
Roger Clemens Check
Mark McGuire Check
Lance Armstrong Check

71-79 Steelers Taboo
(Lets pretend it didn't happen.)
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
Quote:

Does anyone else think all the bull about Mrs. H being "settled in Seattle" is bull ?

That kind of money moves anybody,....

I don't buy it either. Its a nice thing for Holmgren to have the Browns believe though.

I am actually leaning towards optimistic that he may come here now. I think the money would be part of it, but as others have said, I don't think this type of position will be available in Seattle. Here in Cleveland he will be given the power to oversee everything.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Here is what will happen. Holmgren takes the Browns position, fires Mangini at the end of the season. Bill Cowher is hired as head coach in the offseason. Intrigued by the overhaul Charlie Weiss is hired as OC, after Daboll is fired, to direct his boy BQ.

With a strong FO, the Browns win the Super Bowl in 2012 Just sit back and watch the dominos fall

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
tjs7 #445920 12/17/09 05:44 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The guy has held every position except "Grand Pubah" and here is his chance.

Mrs. will not stand in his way here.

Legend
Legend
My point is she shouldn't,..she just fries the bacon.

With that kind of money--even if he is using it as a bargaining chip--what kind of family, emotional, kids in school, etc,..reason is there to not move, that couldn't be overcome/rectified. It's a ruse.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

The guy has held every position except "Grand Pubah" and here is his chance.

Mrs. will not stand in his way here.

Grand Pubah is such a better title than Czar.....

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
She really does sound like a great, giving gal. That kind of dollars does alot of missionary work.

The Holmgren name could be lore in the city should he turn things around!

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Good stuff as always Toad. Hence, the reason for asking questions 'round these parts. But there's just one thing... Why is Lerner trying so hard to woo Holmgren from Seattle when it seems clear, and has been reported, that Seattle isn't interested in him? It's looking more and more like, if Holmgren wants this type of role, Cleveland is his one and only shot. So is Lerner outbidding himself on this for fear that Seattle MIGHT have some interest in him?

Now we get into pure speculation. I have to make an educated guess, which could be way off.

Seattle has hired a firm to do research for them. This we know as fact.

I would posit that this firm can't possibly know more about Holmgren than the Seahawks organizations already knows about him, therefore the money being invested into that firm is best spent on candidates they aren't familiar with, hence Holmgren isn't going to be found on any of their lists.

Let's consider what little information we have right now. Am I really supposed to believe that there are ten other guys who are out there and available, all being more qualified to run an entire football operation from the top down?

No, I don't buy that at all. Holmgren isn't perfect, but I can't imagine there are ten available guys who are better qualified.

So that leaves us with a firmer grasp of the possibility that Lerner is in fact bidding against the Seahawks.

Remember, the 'Hawks don't have to spend any time with Holmgren. They know him inside and out. They know he wants to be there. The smart thing to do in that situation is to explore all the other available candidates.

So yes, I believe Lerner is bidding against the possibility that the Seahawks are still in play.

One more thing to consider: By allowing word to filer out that the bidding could be $8 million or more, he's made it crystal-clear that if the Seahawks want him, they are going to have to pay dearly.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
J
All Pro
All Pro
J
Quote:

Tell me about it everytime I hear that word I think somehow Obama has his hands in this
*shudder*

jb52 #445926 12/17/09 07:40 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

Tell me about it everytime I hear that word I think somehow Obama has his hands in this
*shudder*

I think of the rise of Communism in Russia (or the fall of Nicholas II)....wait, rise of communism, we're not far off on our thoughts

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
J/c

Does anyone know who the Redskins interviewed to satisfy the Rooney Rule?

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

One more thing to consider: By allowing word to filer out that the bidding could be $8 million or more, he's made it crystal-clear that if the Seahawks want him, they are going to have to pay dearly.

Toad...With Lerner's "unofficial" offer being reported to be 8 to 10 mill per year, the ball is now in Paul Allen's court.

But, another possibility could emerge for the franchise that loses out on the Holmgren sweepstakes. According to information on the internet, Parcells signed a 4 yr deal worth 12 mill with the Dolphins. Also, it has been reported that Parcells has an "opt out clause" that allows him to walk away from the Dolphins, if he wishes to.

With 8 to 10 mill per year on the table, Parcells might decide he's done enough to get the Dolphins turned around and look to the loser of the Holmgren Sweeps for another challenge, while increasing his salary dramatically.

"If" media reports are correct... web page ...that Parcells does have an "opt out" clause in his contract, the Dolphins could have an opening for their Exec. VP of Football Operations job at the end of the season.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
E
Legend
Legend
E
Bonsiewicz said the Browns have been in contact with the league to be certain the team is clear on the rule.

I can hear that conversation - What do you mean Jim Brown doesn't count

lol

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
mac #445930 12/17/09 08:00 PM
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
I believe that it's less about a bidding war for Holmgren, and more about whether the powers that be in Seattle want him back. That isn't about Paul Allen. That's about the brain-trust who actually run the football aspects of the organization.

Now here's something which I found VERY interesting. In fact, I'm elated if it's in fact true:
Quote:

Gruden NOT a potential coach in 2010

Many will look at Allen's hiring as a sign that Gruden could reunite with him in Washington, but multiple sources continue to tell me that Gruden will not coach until at least the 2011 season and is loving his job as an analyst on Monday Night Football. He signed an extension with ESPN, which I am told is ironclad for 2010 in terms of leaving, even for a coaching or “dream job” gig.

“There is a zero percent chance that Jon coaches anywhere next year,” said a source close to the coach.

I don't like Gruden as a head coach, not with the way he chews up QB's and spits them out, as well as his two-faced nature. If his contract is truly "iron clad" that means he's not in play IF Holmgren comes to town.

However, that DOES increase the chances that Mangini could get a stay of execution. If he's good, he stays permanently, if he fails, THEN Gruden comes into play.

Incidentally, keep an eye on Zorn as our next QB coach if Holmgren comes here. He was Mike's QB's coach in seattle from 2001 until 2007, and we all know Zorn isn't going to survive the regime change in DC.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Zorn as QB coach, or as OC?

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Considering he had the offense taken away from his this year, combined with the fact that the offense has picked up once that happened, I think it's unlikely he'd get a coordinators gig.

J
All Pro
All Pro
J
IMO Zorn would be a welcome addition in that capacity.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
I agree 100% on Zorn - I think I posted something in the GM/Coach Prediction Thread about my desire to have him as QB coach.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

Does anyone know who the Redskins interviewed to satisfy the Rooney Rule?

All I could find is below. I find it almost humorous that Cerrato resigns, the Redskins interview 2 minority candidates, AND hire Allen all in one day. Yeah, those weren't token interviews. Maybe the Browns could get their names and do a quick phone interview with each!

From the article:

The Redskins already have complied with the league's Rooney Rule and have interviewed at least two minority candidates, an NFL source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter, who first reported the hiring of Allen.

Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4750356

Last edited by CBFAN19; 12/17/09 08:55 PM.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Now we get into pure speculation. I have to make an educated guess, which could be way off.

Seattle has hired a firm to do research for them. This we know as fact.

I would posit that this firm can't possibly know more about Holmgren than the Seahawks organizations already knows about him, therefore the money being invested into that firm is best spent on candidates they aren't familiar with, hence Holmgren isn't going to be found on any of their lists.

Let's consider what little information we have right now. Am I really supposed to believe that there are ten other guys who are out there and available, all being more qualified to run an entire football operation from the top down?

No, I don't buy that at all. Holmgren isn't perfect, but I can't imagine there are ten available guys who are better qualified.

So that leaves us with a firmer grasp of the possibility that Lerner is in fact bidding against the Seahawks.

Remember, the 'Hawks don't have to spend any time with Holmgren. They know him inside and out. They know he wants to be there. The smart thing to do in that situation is to explore all the other available candidates.

So yes, I believe Lerner is bidding against the possibility that the Seahawks are still in play.

Good deduction and a very reasonable calculated risk in your assupmtion.

Sorry but I've been reading a little on here and just had to play sheep for a minute. lmao

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
j/c

http://www.mynorthwest.com/?nid=292&sid=258647

Clayton: Hawks Not Interested in Holmgren
Comments | Print this | E-mail this

By Matt Pitman from VMAC

710 ESPN Seattle's John Clayton just joined Brock and Salk and had some pretty interesting news on the Mike Holmgren front.

Clayton told Brock and Salk that the Seahawks have essentially told Holmgren, thanks but no thanks. They aren't interested in Holmgren. Meanwhile, things are heating up in Cleveland.

Listen to John Clayton's report right here:

There is certainly a lot to take from that. "They have not approached him about interviewing. They have gotten the word back to him that they are gong in a different direction," Clayton said of the Seahawks stance on Holmgren.

If it's true that Holmgren wants to have a gig lined up before Christmas or the New Year, "It's Cleveland right now or nothing," Clayton said.

Chime in on this. Leave your comments below.

There is audio in the link.

you had a good run Hank.
Legend
Legend
well.. looks like holmgreen will be the guy

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
P
Legend
Legend
P
I had a feeling all this "Holmgren likely to go to Seattle" thing was dog poo. I mean how can you fire a guy as your GM and then turn around and hire him back at an equal or higher position five years later?

Somebody would really be wearing a lot of egg on their faces if that were to happen. And it's just a hunch that most NFL owners might have a little too much ego and bravada for that.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Hiring MH back is kind of like setting your team back 10 years.

If he comes here, I'm going to just sit and watch the guy do his thing.
I'm tired of scrutinizing and scratching my head at moves and decisions
and the like. I'm going to relax and trust that the hire is right and will in time bear fruit. I think we all need a mental break from this organization!

K
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
K
Quote:

I'm going to relax and trust that the hire is right and will in time bear fruit. I think we all need a mental break from this organization!

I'm with you there. How nice it would be just to sit back and relax knowing this organization was being run efficiently and effectively from top to bottom. Even still, I'd imagine we'd all still have our gripes. But I think that's the one thing Holmgren may bring that we simply haven't had before as fans of this team... Peace of mind; knowing someone who knows what the heck they're doing is running the show. What a welcomed relief that would be!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
So I'm watching Browns Red Zone on STO and am hearing sooo many people
torn between keeping Mangini and some or all of the staff or sending him/them packing. I can't for the life of me see Holmgren coming in here and keeping status quo without raising a humongous ruckus and ire among football peole and fans alike!

Right or wrong I think it's wholesale change or nearly so among the staff.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Two weeks ago the conversation was the exact opposite. Winning against Pittsburgh and playing decent against the Chargers will do that.

My feelings were firmed up well before that. They have not changed.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Right or wrong I think it's wholesale change or nearly so among the staff.

Well we're only one year into things with Mangini, so at this juncture if a change is to be made at least we haven't wasted 3 or 4 years coming to that conclusion.

And no, I don't really see Holmgren coming in here without putting "his guy" in charge. But then again, how much difference is there with Mangini having won with a more aged Favre than Holmgren doing it? Favre, using him and winning with him are something they share in common.

Time will tell but if I had to lay odds I'd say the smart money would be with Mangini leaving Cleveland.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Just clickin'

I'll leave it up to everyone else to decide if this "rumor" had any merit when it was written back in September of this year....

Holmgren eyeballing D.C.?

Posted by Mike Florio on September 29, 2009 8:36 PM ET

Former Packers and Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren has been making no bones about his desire to return to the NFL in 2010.

And we've been hearing for months rumors that Holmgren would be very interested in becoming the next coach of the Washington Redskins.

Earlier today, Peter King of SI.com provided some meat for that bone, in an appearance with Chris Russo of Mag Dog Unleashed on Sirius XM Radio.

"I've heard a lot of people say in the last few days, 'Oh, Holmgren wouldn't want to go to Washington,'" King said. "Keep one thing in mind in December when all this stuff starts to go down. Remember where you heard this.

Mike Holmgren last year, Thanksgiving weekend, I'm sitting in his office in Seattle and he says, 'You know, I'm going to take this next year off but after that I'll give you a cool little theory for what I might do.' I said, 'What?' And he says, 'I've coached in the Midwest with Green Bay and I grew up playing and coaching out west -- Brigham Young, the 49ers, Seattle.' And he said, 'I'd really love to try the East Coast. That brand of football where you wake up on Sunday morning and it's the most important thing. There aren't 800 things to do. Where you're in East Rutherford or Philly or Washington and it's so important.'

"He said, 'I'd really love to try football on the East Coast.' So do not eliminate Mike Holmgren when you start talking about coaching candidates for [Redskins owner] Dan Snyder."

So we think it'll be Holmgren and Shanahan jockeying for position in D.C., and the Redskins and Cowboys in a possible tug of war to get their preferred candidate.

That's why we don't rule out the 'Skins launching the process before the end of the season, in order to get a crack at Holmgren or Shanahan, before Jerry Jones does.

profootballtalk.nbcsports.com

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

"He said, 'I'd really love to try football on the North Coast.

There ya go Mike, I fixed it for ya!

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
Quote:

I'd really love to try the East Coast. That brand of football where you wake up on Sunday morning and it's the most important thing. There aren't 800 things to do.

That is very interesting. This quote above stands out to me though. Even though he doesn't mention Cleveland by name, isn't this exactly what a football Sunday is like here? At least that's how I feel.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Unless you are trying to prove that helps the Browns, this means nothing.

The Redskins already hired Bruce Allen as their President and GM.

you had a good run Hank.
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Quote:

Unless you are trying to prove that helps the Browns, this means nothing.

The Redskins already hired Bruce Allen as their President and GM.

I think he's saying MH would coach the Skins?

P
Legend
Legend
P
What the hell I'll take a stab at it. lol

1. DC has already made moves to install a FO but not a HC. However, now Holmgren sees a chance to not just be a HC and seems taken with that idea due to the continuing talks and having his agent in town. So DC seems more out of this equasion than it was previously.

2. There was a lot of discouraging comments that Holmgren would rather stay in Seattle since he owns a home there. But from this, it seems to indicate he's had no problem with the idea of relocating for some time.

3. Holmgren has indicated he wants something settled before Christmas and unless another suiter comes along quickly we seem to be the front runner.

4.As far as not having 800 things to do on sunday, I don't think Cleveland does anything on sundays accept bleed orange and Brown so that criteria is also met.

And how far west of Philly are we really anyway?

I'm not saying this is the avenue ddub was traveling down but it looks like the move isn't an issue, I doubt he'll get a better offer that gives him the power and money he could ever hope to get from Washington at this juncture. and Cleveland is a town who thinks Browns on Sunday.

Maybe ddub will explain his intent a little later to show just how wrong I am,

But unless Holmgrens goal is to be "strictly a HC" and nothing more, Washington is no longer valid.And turning the Browns back to prominance while loading your wallet at this juncture may be the best scenario for Holmgren. And one helluva a feat that would ice his legend in football history.

jmho

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
but about one month later Holmgren criticized the Redskins for how horrible his buddy Zorn has been treated.

Do you really think MH would want to coach in DC knowing this info?

All signs have been pointing to Cleveland since the last week of October.
Not a lock,but it has looked that way for a long time.....

The scuttlebut in DC now is either Chucky or Shanahan.

but the Cowboys are in the mix too......

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
just clicking to add this story...

Mike Holmgren may clarify plans on Seattle radio show

By Tony Grossi
December 17, 2009, 11:36PM

BEREA, Ohio -- Mike Holmgren may disclose on his weekly radio show in Seattle today whether he will accept a conditional Browns' offer to become their new senior executive of football operations.

And even if he doesn't tip his hand, signs point to Holmgren taking the job contingent on finalizing a deal with the club.

In breaking their silence Thursday on Holmgren's two-day visit to their facility, the Browns did not deny a report that the job had been offered.

Bill Bonsiewicz, the Browns' vice president of communications, said: "We had a productive meeting over the course of a couple days. We agreed to communicate again in the coming days. I can tell you the one thing we have not discussed to this point is money."

League sources have said Holmgren may command up to $10 million a year for the challenge of taking over the Browns' football operations. Holmgren was the NFL's highest-paid coach in his last season of 2008 at about $7 million. That computed to about $1.75 million per win. The Seahawks were 4-12.

Money may be a mere formality to billionaire owner Randy Lerner. But a deal can't be sealed until the Browns comply with the NFL's Rooney Rule, which requires they interview a minority candidate for the job.

"And it must be a legitimate interview," a league source closely familiar with the NFL's vigilant enforcement of the rule said.

Bonsiewicz said the Browns have been in contact with the NFL office regarding compliance of the Rooney Rule. But he would not say whether the Browns have interviewed a minority candidate or if the club has other interviews scheduled for the position seemingly awaiting Holmgren.

The Washington Redskins raised eyebrows Thursday when they announced, in rapid fire, the resignation of Vinny Cerrato as vice president of football operations and the hiring of Bruce Allen to succeed him.

But the club reportedly complied with the Rooney Rule by interviewing two minority candidates. They weren't made public, possibly because Cerrato was still on the job.

In the Browns' case, the job has been vacant since Lerner stated his desire to hire "a serious, credible leader" following a 30-6 loss in Chicago on Nov. 1. The next day, General Manager George Kokinis was fired.

The changes in Washington eliminated the Redskins as a competitor for Holmgren's services. Another one eliminated is Seattle. The Seahawks reportedly informed Holmgren that he will not be a candidate for their general manager vacancy. Yet another potential competitor eliminated is San Francisco. The 49ers last week said they do not intend to make any management changes heading into 2010.

Holmgren reportedly has told friends that he wanted to know his employment plans by Christmas or New Year's Day, at the latest.

If the Browns do complete a deal with Holmgren, it would mean the organization has virtually come full circle since being reborn as an expansion franchise 11 years ago.

Shortly after the NFL awarded the expansion franchise to the partnership of Al Lerner and Carmen Policy, Policy got in hot water for making glib remarks about Holmgren, who then was finishing up his tenure as coach of the Green Bay Packers.

At a Cleveland City Club luncheon, Policy was asked in a question-and-answer session with the audience if he would be interested in pursuing Holmgren as the new Browns' first coach if Holmgren should leave Green Bay, as was being speculated.

At first Policy answered that he couldn't talk about Holmgren because of the league's anti-tampering rules. Then he said, "Let's just say if a head coach who's out there, who has won a Super Bowl, who has been to another Super Bowl, who is coaching a team in contention for the playoffs this year, who is an offensive-minded coach, looking to perhaps move when the season's over, were to be interested . . ."

The audience cheered and laughed as Policy let his voice tail off.

A few days later, Commissioner Paul Tagliabue fined Policy $10,000.

Holmgren and agent Bob LaMonte have not spoken publicly about their visit with Lerner and other Browns officials on Monday and Tuesday.

It is assumed that Holmgren does not want to coach the team, but he would have free rein in deciding whether Eric Mangini continues as Browns coach.

web page

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'm going to relax and trust that the hire is right and will in time bear fruit. I think we all need a mental break from this organization!

No guarantees, but he'd really be the first to come in with lots of cred... so yeah, we may not understand or even like some methods,, but at some point, you have to just trust..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
mac #445954 12/18/09 07:47 AM
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Here is a story from the west coast on Holmgren...

December 17, 2009 at 7:34 PM

Mike Holmgren: Fact and fiction

Posted by Danny O'Neil

So when last we left Seattle's most prominently unemployed Super Bowl winner, he was over talking to Cleveland while the Seahawks were silently staring at their own belly buttons conducting an internal audit.

Well, that was Tuesday, and I'm not going to subject you all to any more junior-high dance analogies. But in my attempts to wade through the past two days of news, I've come up against a hard and uncomfortable reality. The advent of the constant news cycle has created a situation in which the onslaught of information creates a less clear picture of what is actually happening.

Take for instance these "facts" that have been reported. First, a television station in Cleveland (WKYC-TV) reported Wednesday the Browns have offered Holmgren a job that will pay him $8 million to $10 million annually and then Thursday, a spokesman for the franchise says the two sides haven't talked money yet.

Then there was the NFL Network report, which stated Holmgren wasn't among the 10 candidates submitted to the Seahawks by the search firm Seattle contracted. Of course that doesn't really mean anything at all for two reasons

1) The Seahawks don't need a search firm to find Holmgren. Heck, he lives in town and appears on the radio every week.

2) The search firm isn't going to make any decision at all in the final list of people who will be considered or who will be chosen. It's only to make sure the search is thorough.

Throw in a radio interview with ESPN's John Clayton on 710 ESPN in Seattle, which said that as things stand now, Holmgren has received an indication Seattle would go in another direction.

It's all enough to make you scratch your head, or in my case, it threatened to make my head explode. I'm exaggerating of course. I only turned a dangerous shade of red, which given the prodigious size of the melon atop my shoulders means that eruption is a definite possibility.

But let's slow down for a second.

What we know

We know that Mike Holmgren has publicly stated the he would be interested in talking to the Seahawks about their job opening.

We know Holmgren was interviewed in Cleveland, has a great deal of respect for the Lerner family and that franchise is looking for someone to come in and preside over all of football operations.

We know that Holmgren's public expressions of interest in the Seahawks' position have received no public response from the Seahawks.

What we don't know

We don't know whether the Browns set a deadline for Holmgren's answer.

We don't know what the Seahawks have communicated with Holmgren -- either directly or indirectly through intermediaries.

It's possible Holmgren has been given an indication he won't be the choice. It's also possible he has been told he would probably be a candidate. It's also possible he has been told the franchise will follow this process of self-review, assembling a pool of potential candidates and then selecting people it will interview and that corporate-speak talk of "process" has been interpreted as a lack of interest by the franchise or perceived as a slight since Holmgren worked for the team for 10 years, six of which ended in the playoffs.

What we can infer

The door has not shut on the possibility Holmgren will return to Seattle, but the moment of truth is nearing. No one from the Seahawks has publicly indicated he won't be considered for the position, but no one has stepped forward to embrace his publicly stated interest in the job, either.

It's possible Holmgren could take the Cleveland job before the Seahawks really begin winnowing the field of candidates. In fact, that looks distinctly possible. But it's not done yet.

web page

Another story from the Seattle Times, Sports...

The right move for Seahawks is to hire Mike Holmgren — quickly

Mike Holmgren has an offer in hand from the Cleveland Browns, and time is running short for Seahawks to make a play for their former coach and GM

Steve Kelley

Seattle Times staff columnist

Stop. Take a deep breath. This franchise is about to go over a cliff, but it's not too late to change direction.

There should be a feeling of urgency about this day. It could be the Seahawks' last chance to do the right thing.

Mike Holmgren has returned from nearly a week's worth of talks with the Cleveland Browns. He has an offer in hand from Browns owner Randy Lerner, to be the head of their football operation, which probably means he only has this weekend to give Lerner an answer.

So the Hawks probably have this day, Friday, and only this one day, to do the right thing. They have this one day to talk with Holmgren.

If they blithely let him go to Cleveland, it would be a big mistake.

Inexplicably, Holmgren has been courted by Cleveland, while Seattle, the franchise that knew him for 10 years, publicly has given him the silent treatment. The place that knows him the best is heralding him the least. It makes no sense.

But here we are. The future of this teetering franchise is hanging in the balance. This team needs help on the offensive line and help with the pass rush. It needs more speed in the secondary. It needs playmakers on offense and it needs to find the quarterback of the future.

The Seahawks need somebody with a whole lot of wisdom and NFL experience, who will surround himself with top-rung lieutenants, to replace recently resigned general manager Tim Ruskell.

The Seahawks need Holmgren.

There are, however, people close to owner Paul Allen who are reluctant to bring him back. There are people — just a few people — who had skirmishes with Holmgren in his previous incarnation as president and coach.

There are people in the organization who, wrongly, believe Holmgren has campaigned for this job and are offended by that perceived behavior.

The Seahawks are about to jump off the rails. This has the feel of a franchise gone crazy. On the field and off, it is beginning to look like a team that has no focus and no discipline. It's a franchise that, ironically, is looking more and more like Cleveland's every weekend.

web page

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Holmgren - Part 2

Link Copied to Clipboard