Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Mac,,, when it comes to spoonfed, I'm pretty sure he's a troll..

daman...that's the word I was looking for..."troll"...

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Quote:

We gave up 34 to the Chiefs and 38 to the Lions yet everybody seems enamored with Ryan and blames Mangini and Daboll for all of our problems.....

Very good points DC. I think Holmgren will do an extensive look at the entire thing before any big changes are made. My only concern with Holmgren, other than I don't want him in dual roles, is that he will take on 'the Big Show' status he had in his early days in Seattle when he was GM/coach.

I don't want Holmgren to become bigger than the Browns and that's what it sounds like it had become in Seattle before he left.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

We gave up 34 to the Chiefs and 38 to the Lions yet everybody seems enamored with Ryan and blames Mangini and Daboll for all of our problems.....

My only concern with Holmgren, other than I don't want him in dual roles, is that he will take on 'the Big Show' status he had in his early days in Seattle when he was GM/coach.

I don't want Holmgren to become bigger than the Browns and that's what it sounds like it had become in Seattle before he left.

If Holmgren can build this franchise into a playoff contender, it will be a "big show", regardless if Holmgren gets the full credit or not.

As long as the Browns improve and win enough games to get to the big dance, who cares how many positions or job titles Holmgren holds?

Focus....the goal is to win enough to be "in" the big dance at the end of the season...and I don't care who gets the credit for that accomplishment or how "big" their show is...focus...it's about the Browns winning...isn't it?

mac #446841 12/21/09 09:59 AM
P
2nd String
2nd String
P
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

My only concern with Holmgren, other than I don't want him in dual roles, is that he will take on 'the Big Show' status he had in his early days in Seattle when he was GM/coach.

If Holmgren can build this franchise into a playoff contender, it will be a "big show", regardless if Holmgren gets the full credit or not.

As long as the Browns improve and win enough games to get to the big dance, who cares how many positions or job titles Holmgren holds?

Focus....the goal is to win enough to be "in" the big dance at the end of the season...and I don't care who gets the credit for that accomplishment or how "big" their show is...focus...it's about the Browns winning...isn't it?

I really hope we do end up bringing Holmgren on board. He's what I've been wanting as a coach or GM, someone that will get a bit more benefit of the doubt. We keep bringing in guys that have low experience or sketchy pasts, and they wonder why the fans turn on them so quick when there are problems. A guy with a pedigree will at least get a little more time to get things working. The way this team is right now it'll take a miracle to get it to .500 next season, we need someone that the fans respect enough to wait it out.

M
All Pro
All Pro
M
Quote:

Quote:

It will be funny to watch the Raiders slam Harrison to the turf

Really, you think it's funny to watch Cleveland Browns lose?

Obviously now I know why you support Mangini so much.

It's amazing to me that you can call yourself a Browns fan and have that type of negativity about them. We've won two games straight and yesterday we played hard and did some amazing things against those Chiefs. This was an NFL defense and not a college one. Harrison deserves his due.

Sorry to talk Harrison in a Holmgren thread it's just fans like this bother me.

[Linked Image from netanimations.net]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He's not a fan. He is a troll. Every thread he is in he starts an argument and half the time his ramblings make no sense. Ignore him.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Getting back on topic, I am really hoping for an early christmas present today!!!

Hopefully this will be the start of our revitalization and bring this franchise back to what we remember.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

fans like this bother me

He's not a fan. He's an attention getter, and until people on this board (including me) stop acknowledging him, he won't go away. Let him post his spew of brainlessness, read it for the humor and move on. That's the direction I'm taking.

Scientist: The sky is blue.
Spoonfed: The sky is not blue. Eric Mangini does not want a blue sky, but
Kokinis had a breakdown, and Lerner and the scientists (who don't know anything) lost it after the breakdown and keep telling you gullible fans that it's blue. It will be funny when the sun and moon slam the sky to the turf on Sunday. Then everyone will realize that Mangini is great.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
mac #446846 12/21/09 10:44 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Between the lines: What Leiweke probably meant was, “We’re really annoyed that Holmgren forced us to make a decision before the season and our evaluation are even over. So, to save face publicly, we reached out to him.”

It's called Token Interview...

But now the Holmgren situation is resolved. He can go to Cleveland to once again be the Big Show, and the Hawks can go about finding a GM who can rebuild the parts of the team that require it.

I won't hold my breath..I'll wait till it's announced...now if he does come here,I don't know if he'd keep EM or not..if he does..o.k..but EM will not touch the draft/FA...I know what he did as Eo states,but he could have done better..especially in the draft..

F
Legend
Legend
F
Actually the sky is black, but the light rays passing through the atmosphere are refracted and the shorter wavelength blues get absorbed in the gas molecules and causes us to see the sky as blue.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Actually the sky is black, but the light rays passing through the atmosphere are refracted and the shorter wavelength blues get absorbed in the gas molecules and causes us to see the sky as blue.

WiseA$$

Actually, I liked that answer....LOL

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
R
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
R
Spoonfed is "Hiram"!
Some of you will get this.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

I won't hold my breath..I'll wait till it's announced...

Tacker...I keep trying to remind myself ...don't get your hopes up until it's a done deal...

It is hard not to show optimism when talking about Holmgren coming to the Browns.

Then we go out and win the game in dramatic fashion...Mangini does deserve to have this day to enjoy.

I could understand if the Browns wait another day to announce any moves...so we may have to wait another day or so...

...did I mention...I hate waiting for announcements...

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Spoonfed is "Hiram"!
Some of you will get this.

Hiram? Do you mean the guy that has been calling sports talk radio shows for years in the area here?

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
mac #446852 12/21/09 11:36 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Then we go out and win the game in dramatic fashion...Mangini does deserve to have this day to enjoy.

I could understand if the Browns wait another day to announce any moves...

I can't wait for the day when we no longer consider beating a 3-11 team as a day worthy of a huge celebration...

yebat' Putin
R
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
R
That's the guy.
He really loved Belicheck!

Legend
Legend
Quote:

It will be funny to watch the Raiders slam Harrison to the turf.

You are easily the biggest troll on here. Just go away dude and stop puting down your players

mac #446855 12/21/09 11:49 AM
R
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
R
Saw Mort this morning on ESPN and he said that it's pretty much a done deal. Some of the reports are a 10 year deal. He doesn't feel that Holmgren will agree to that long of a commitment, but he's coming here. He also said that the announcement may not come today or even this week, but he will be a Brown by the begining of the year.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

That's the guy.
He really loved Belicheck!

Oh man,, that guy used to come on and I'll turn the radio off he was such a $#^@&#&#*& or something similar LOL

WOW,, are you sure that's him or are you saying he's similar to Hiram?

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
R
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
R
Just joking.
He shows similar characteristics.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

It will be funny to watch the Raiders slam Harrison to the turf.

You are easily the biggest troll on here. Just go away dude and stop puting down your players

Click on his/her username and mark to ignore. Simple, easy, and it will save you future aggrevation reading his/her posts. I did and I've smiled more each day since.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Seahawks didn't offer Holmgren total control
Posted by Mike Florio on December 21, 2009 11:20 AM ET
When the Seahawks announced on Saturday that former G.M. and coach Mike Holmgren won't return to the franchise, the team said that Holmgren "declined our offer . . . given the structure we proposed."

A league source tells us that the structure was simple -- Holmgren would have occupied a position above G.M. and coach, like Bill Parcells in Miami.

However, unlike Parcells, Holmgren wouldn't have been running the show.

On paper, Dolphins G.M. Jeff Ireland has "final say" over the roster, but anyone with any common sense (and some with not much of it, like me) knows that Parcells still calls the shots. In Seattle, however, the G.M. would have truly had the last word on all personnel decisions.

We're also told that the Seahawks offered Holmgren significantly less money than the Browns have put on the table.

The decision to make Holmgren an offer he wouldn't accept traces, we're told, to man named Bert Kolde. Though Kolde's name appears nowhere on a lengthy online list of Seahawks management and staff, Kolde serves as owner Paul Allen's right-hand man. As pointed out in this Business Week article from 2004, the two former college roommates still get together for regular games of chess.

Per the source, Kolde and Holmgren had their own chess match during Holmgren's prior ten years with the team, with Holmgren eventually saying, "How 'bout I take your little board and smash it?"

More specifically, we're told that Kolde used to poke around the team from time to time, and that Holmgren eventually told him to get the hell out.

And so while everyone put on their happy face when the announcement came that Holmgren won't be coming back, the truth is a little darker than that. As pointed out in today's Seattle Times, the team is now characterizing its offer a certain way, and Holmgren is saying on the record that the things the Seahawks are saying aren't true.

So it looks like Holmgren definitely will be landing in Cleveland.

We can only hope that Jim Brown doesn't call the Ukraine weak.

This is confirmation that Holmgren didn't get the full-control offer from Seattle that he got here.

All things being equal he'd never leave Seattle, but all things aren't equal.

I don't know if this is a case of "lucky us" or not because we don't know if he'll be good or not, but it looks like we're getting our "credible leader" and I'd like to send a Christmas Fruitcake to the Seahawks organization.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
J
All Pro
All Pro
J
Quote:

Per the source, Kolde and Holmgren had their own chess match during Holmgren's prior ten years with the team, with Holmgren eventually saying, "How 'bout I take your little board and smash it?"

Now thats funny

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
j/c

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4761291

From ESPN
Holmgren Deal With Browns Close To Done
Chris Mortensen with the latest on Mike Holmgren and the Browns

Holmgren Deal With Browns Close To Done

CLEVELAND -- Hall of Fame running back Jim Brown thinks embattled Cleveland coach Eric Mangini deserves another year.

Mangini improved to 3-11 in his first season in Cleveland with a win at Kansas City on Sunday, but he could be fired if Mike Holmgren accepts an offer to head the Browns' football operations.

An NFL source told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen that Holmgren's pending deal with the Browns was expected to be worth $50 million, possibly over 10 years.

Holmgren was expected to let the Browns know a decision by Monday, The (Cleveland) Plain Dealer reported. He turned down the Seattle Seahawks' offer of a front-office position over the weekend.

Holmgren did not rule out a return to the sideline when he said Friday that Cleveland's offer would include "any and all" of the titles of president, general manager and coach. Holmgren led the Seahawks to the Super Bowl after the 2005 season and the Green Bay Packers to a pair of Super Bowls, winning a championship following the 1996 season.

Following Sunday's win, Brown, an executive advisor for Randy Lerner, said Mangini should be back in 2010. Brown believes the team is improving with "a lot of young people who we don't know who are playing good football." Brown also said he didn't want to contradict his boss.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

KeysDawg

The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. - Carl Sagan
Legend
Legend
I'm geting tired of these rumours

I won't be satisfied until it's official.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Holiday fruitcake? How about a Starbucks basket or gift certificates for lattes. I think MH realized that Seattle wasn't a place where you wake up on Sunday and football is of the most primary importance.

Uh, that and us offering more control and money didn't hurt either I supposed, did it?

If this comes into fruition all the Lerner detractors can get off the man's back.

Politicians are puppets, y'all. Let's get Geppetto!

Formerly 4yikes2yoshi0
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Here's a thought (one that may have been already noted somewhere in the 30 pages of Holmgren talk )..........

I can see a situation where Holmgren still wants to coach, but doesn't want to give the appearance that he's as control-hungry as he truly is, so the fix is simple:

He knows this is a huge rebuilding effort.

He knows that Mangini no longer has control.

He knows that all the players will be chosen by himself, thus rebuilding the roster, team, direction, and future in his own image.

He knows we aren't likely to be that good next year.

So all Holmgren has to do is appear to be the benevolent benefactor and give Mangini one more year. If he fails, he can fire Mangini and install himself as head coach, thus wresting full and complete control of the organization and team without appear to be the blood-thirsty hun that he actually is.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Quote:

So all Holmgren has to do is appear to be the benevolent benefactor and give Mangini one more year. If he fails, he can fire Mangini and install himself as head coach, thus wresting full and complete control of the organization and team without appear to be the blood-thirsty hun that he actually is.

Not sure if that's been said either but I was thinking the same thing last night. However, if he keeps Mangini around for another year but makes all the personnel decisions, then one of two things plays out as I see it...

Outcome A.) The team improves under the new direction and now the thought of firing Mangini after 2 years becomes increasingly difficult. (Regardless of who takes credit for the improvement, it will be difficult to fire Mangini if the team is markedly better next year.)

or

Outcome B.) The team is as equally bad as this year, or at least, shows a lack of tangible improvement. Mangini gets canned. So now the question becomes... how comfortable are you with Holmgren now taking on an additional role (coach) after the team has shown no signs of improvement after a season under him as GM/President? Answer: Not very!

Obviously, I hope 'Outcome A' happens and we just keep on moving along. At least, until Gruden is ready to step back on the sidelines.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
It's just me, but I seriously doubt that Holmgren wants to coach...

I think he's done with being on the sideline and wants to build a winner from the front office this time.

Besides, there are ways for him to do both, just install a coach and Holmgren can do what he wants, other than coaching on game day.

you had a good run Hank.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I had similar thoughts Saturday and I know thats a bad setup..don't need MH to coach,just run the football side..split the duties..he needs to understand how he failed before,and that was trying to do it all..doesn't work.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/...-browns-today/1

Is Mike Holmgren on his way to joining the Browns?

The Cleveland Plain-Dealer reported that Holmgren is considering a 10-year, $50 million offer to join the Browns, and that he is expected to give the team an answer today.

Holmgren announced on Saturday that he would not be rejoining the Seahawks. If he joins the Browns and accepts such a lucrative offer, the first question will be in what role will Holmgren serve?

He could move into a Bill Parcells-like football operations czar role, or he could decide he'd like to coach the team.

Browns WR/RB/KR Josh Cribbs said after Sunday's 41-34 win in Kansas City (the team's second victory in a row), that Holmgren should be too quick to dismiss first-year coach Eric Mangini.

"Hopefully, he watched this game and last week's game," Cribbs said to the Plain-Dealer. -- Sean Leahy

I just got a text saying he took the deal and will be made public later today for what that's worth idk lol

what I was told was 5years 50 mill as gm/czar

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Quote:

what I was told was 5 years 50 mill as gm/czar

Whoa. Two thoughts:

-This team is at least 5 years from playing great football.

-For that kinda jack, he better have at least 2 rings (from the Browns) when he leaves here.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
KANSAS CITY, Mo.— Mike Holmgren could be one step closer to taking charge of the Browns' front office.

Chris Mortensen of ESPN reported Holmgren, 61, will be paid $50 million over five years to be the director of football operations for Randy Lerner's team. The deal could be announced today, Mortensen reported.

http://www.news-herald.com/articles/2009/12/21/sports/nh1856780.txt

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If Paul Brown hoisted his moldering carcass from the grave to coach there would be folks start to grumble!

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Browns WR/RB/KR Josh Cribbs said after Sunday's 41-34 win in Kansas City (the team's second victory in a row), that Holmgren should be too quick to dismiss first-year coach Eric Mangini.

I'm guessing that either Cribbs.... but probably the author... went to the Excl school of negatives.

yebat' Putin
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
So is it 10yrs/$50mill or 5yrs/$50mill?

That is a lot of dough either way.

“It doesn't make sense to hire smart people and tell them what to do; we hire smart people so they can tell us what to do.” -Steve Jobs.
Legend
Legend
it's 50 years for $5 Million.

yebat' Putin
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

it's 50 years for $5 Million.

I think that was Mangini's proposal to save money (cough, and his job cough)

Politicians are puppets, y'all. Let's get Geppetto!

Formerly 4yikes2yoshi0
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
You have to wonder how Mangini will take it...being the HC and not having total control?

IMO, Mangini wanted Kokinis as GM because he felt Kokinis would accept a role as a figurehead GM while Mangini called all the shots. For the most part, Mangini has operated as a HC/GM this season but that is about to change if Holmgren is hired and Mangini is retained as HC.

Will Mangini be able to operate as a HC without having full control over the roster and over the hiring and firing of his coaching staff? How is Mangini going to handle changes in personnel/draft/free agents? What if Holmgren wants to get rid of some of Mangini's NY Jets and bring in some of his Seahawks?

I would assume that Mangini would be happy to just retain his job as the Browns HC, but we don't know how well Mangini the HC is going to get along with Mike Holmgren, the GM/Exec President of Browns football.

At this point, I'm not sure which report to believe as I have heard about all possibilities, with Mangini fired, not fired, Holmgren coaching and not coaching.

Toad...yes, it's possible that Holmgren keeps Mangini another year but I do wonder how Mangini adjusts to the changes that could be coming his way.

Also, how is Holmgren going to adjust to someone else being the head coach? Holmgren has not had to watch someone else be the head coach of a team he was coaching on since 1991, when George Seifert was HC of the 49ers. Can Holmgren stand back and watch someone else HC, using different coaching methods and in a different way, than he would coach?

In short, can Mangini and Holmgren co-exist as HC and GM/Executive VP?

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

I just got a text saying he took the deal and will be made public later today for what that's worth idk lol

what I was told was 5years 50 mill as gm/czar

I hope your right...

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Holmgren - Part III

Link Copied to Clipboard