Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#454891 01/11/10 10:15 PM
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Just listened to the conference call on the "official site". Interesting questions being asked and good answers being given.

One thing I found interesting was when Holmgren was asked about Mangini, he mentioned that Mangini might have been put into a position with too much responsibility, but he made the comment that it wasn't Mangini's idea to have so much control. I really have to wonder if Kokinis was really a waste of a hire. Don't know exactly what to make of it, but it was an interesting staement that I never heard before.

He also stated that Heckert would have final say on the 53 man roster, with input from Mangini and him in the process.

Another interesting comment was about retaining the whole coaching staff. He more or less said that for now no changes were made, but a couple could be coming if guys become available. I take this to mean that the staff will change some, and I would guess it would be on the offense, since he also made the comment about Mangini being a defensive coach.

Don't know how to post the link, but it can be seen by clicking the "sites and sounds" link at the top of the page.

#gmstrong
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
hopefully this stays. Interesting tidbits regarding "Mangini having too much responsibility.

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

hopefully this stays. Interesting tidbits regarding "Mangini having too much responsibility.

Based on the way we got rid of Kokinis, there had to be a pretty serious dereliction of duty. In the past the Browns have always sent people off with a golden parachute where here the cords were abruptly cut. Mangini probably did have to take on a much greater load. I don't think MH would come in here saying that if it wasn't evident Mangini had a bunch of stuff thrown in his lap that went above and beyond his responsibility.

I have a feeling we have a team in place that is going to get things done as a team and one or more isn't going to have to always be throwing the trump card of authority.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
R
All Pro
All Pro
R
ya know,.......If this is true from the conference call statements, it say a lot about the type of guy Eric is.
Contrary to what everyone and there mother would have us believe about the guy,
i he never complained, passed blame or threw anyone under the bus regarding this topic, even while he was getting absolutely squished by that same bus.

Yet he is often put into the opposite light. Hmmmmm definetely interesting confernce call.

"He who buys what he does not need steals from himself."
P
2nd String
2nd String
P
Quote:

I have a feeling we have a team in place that is going to get things done as a team and one or more isn't going to have to always be throwing the trump card of authority.

That would be seriously nice. It seems like our front office and/or coaching staff has been a mess all the way back to before the move to be honest. If they can get some stability and actually win a fair share of games I think it would go a long way towards improving the morale of the fan base. I'm cautiously optimistic

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/multimedia/mediaplayer.php?id=6730

This is what I've been waiting for...the transcript. Now we can listen and follow the transcript to get a complete picture concerning the various topics Holmgren covered.

Holmgren transcript 1/11
Browns President Mike Holmgren conference call 1-11-10

web page (Opening statement)- "We have the thing going tomorrow where Eric (Mangini) will be there as well as Bryan (Wiedmeier) and Tom (Heckert). What we wanted to do was if you had any questions before tomorrow we can kind of get that out of the way a little bit."

(On if Heckert will have control of the 53-man roster)- "Yes, he's going to set up the 53-man roster, but I would temper that just a little bit. He and I are going to be in close communication on that. That will be his responsibility."

(On what he believes are Heckert's strengths)- "If you look at his resume first of all, he has got tremendous experience in the league. I think he has a tremendous work ethic. He is very, very bright. He's been successful. He's done a great job in both Miami and Philadelphia. Lastly, his personality is one [where] he's a great team player and very impressive guy. I think when you get a chance to talk to him and meet with him you'll see that as well."

(On how Will Lewis' interview went and if there could be a position for him down the road)- "Will did a great job coming in here. As you know Will and I are friends. We've been together a long time. I brought him to Seattle from Green Bay. He came in. He had a great interview. He had a chance to meet with Randy (Lerner) who was here that particular day. Given what's going on in Seattle right now, I'm so hopeful that there might be a couple guys there that I might still talk to and maybe I'll get another chance to talk to Will as well."

(On if the assistant coaches will be back in their current roles next season)- "That'll be Eric's call. Of course we've talked about it. He's going through that right now. My feeling is, in our initially conversations, is that he was pleased with how the guys did this year. That's not to say that if someone became available that a change might take place. All in all, I think that we're still a little bit away from that. As of right now things are pretty much as they were last there. There could be a couple changes though down the road, but not yet."

(On what front office roles he still has to fill)- "I think there are a couple of positions. I mentioned the other day that if possible, in looking at how the organization was set up, if I could streamline it a little bit I would try and do that. There are a couple positions, I guess, we could categorize in operations. There are a couple of things on the business side that I'm still looking at. Bryan just got in here today. We're going to sit down in the next couple days and really go over that with a fine tooth comb and see how he wants to set it up as well. I think I said this the other day too, I want to make sure that I do the right thing, if changes are made, as best I can. We're going to take our time here now. I think it was very, very important to get these two men in place because in the organizational chart they're two of the three or four that will report directly to me and then have a lot of responsibility throughout the organization."

(On how much Heckert had to deal with draft in Philadelphia and if that is a big part of what he'll be doing here)- "Terry (Pluto), Andy Reid and I are really good friends. Andy thought the world of Tom. I think they worked hand in hand, but clearly Tom set up the board, ran the personnel side of that. As you approach the draft you, of course, you funnel down those meetings from assistant coaches, scouts and everybody down to the decision makers and I think that's what happened in Philadelphiaand that's what will happen here. Tom had a lot to do with the success they had in Philadelphia in personnel. If you asked Andy Reid he would tell you the same thing."

(On his decision to keep Eric Mangini and how his meetings went with him)- "The meetings went very well. The decision I had to make it would have been easy for me, given the responsibility that I have, to come in and just kind of, without thinking a great deal, just kind of say, ‘Okay, I'm going to change everything,' particularly on the coaching level. I know a lot of coaches in this business and there are a lot of good coaches, so that was on one side of the coin. The other side of the coin was I wanted to make sure that I didn't make a mistake. Getting to know Eric allowed me to at least feel as though we had the guy in place already, and so that was my decision. As we continued to talk there were two or three things that were important. One, initially being a coach myself, I think having a coach in place for a year and then telling him he no longer has a job, I think that's basically unfair, that's one thing. Two, I think the team got better as the season went along, by anyone's standards. It was rough in the beginning. It was kind of tough in the middle, but they finished strong and that says something about how he kept the guys together and how his coaches continued to work and those things, so that was a plus. Three, I liked him. I liked our talks. I think he was very candid, very honest. He also listened. I thought he was a pretty good listener with me. Lastly, he's a defensive coach. In this particular division I think you need to play really good defense when the weather gets bad. I should culminate with saying that he showed a willingness to work as a team player. I think he was thrust into a position where he had to accept a lot more responsibly than was fair, through no fault of his own. I thought I could act as a little bit of a mentor in some ways. [You] put all that stuff together, I thought I had the right guy."

(On specifically saying 2010 in his statement on Mangini returning as head coach, and it may be appearing as if he is on a one year trial)- "I'm sure you're right and I'm sure I said that, but that's not that I meant by that. I think I was just referencing that date. I was in front of you guys for the first time. I was very nervous."

(On if Mangini is on a one year trial)- "No, he's not on a one year [trial]. I will say this, I talked to the staff and I talked to Eric and my expectations for the football team next year are at a certain level. They know that. This business can be harsh at times, so I expect us to improve and I expect to see improvement, as do they. Please don't infer that I was saying this is a one year shot. Now, everyone is accountable for the job they do and we'll see what happens."

(On where things stand with Joshua Cribbs' contract)- "I said it the other day, I believe I said this, that we would like Josh here, certainly. He's a part of the Browns and a wonderful player for us. He has got three years left on his current contract. It's almost unprecedented to change that dramatically in this business. Having said that, what we've tried to do is absolutely reward him for what he's done and what potentially he could do in the future and we have a difference of opinion. You guys that have covered sports for a long time realize that that happens. Everybody, I think, wants this to work out and I'm no different. We will continue to have dialogue, if possible. We're looking at ways now maybe to change what's going on with Josh and the offer and we'll see. We're getting new people in here and trying to get people in place. I'm new. I'm still hopeful that [to] everyone's satisfaction we can work this out."

(On if was not a ‘take it or leave it' offer made to Cribbs)- "That take it or leave it stuff, I think that went out a long time ago. I'm not sure you ever say that. The one thing that I think you have to try and avoid is negotiating against yourself. Any sort of negation is, in my opinion, a two way street. My hope is that we can get this to a win-win situation. Yes, I think there's a chance. There's light at the end of the tunnel hopefully."

(On the speculation that bringing back Mangini makes it possible for him to return to coaching or hire a coach he knows next season)- "No, that's not why I made that decision. When I made the decision to keep Eric and the coaches, the idea of it being a one year trial or one year shot never entered my mind. If I had even thought about that, you're probably better off just kind of clearing the decks and starting all over again. We're going to be better next year. There is a tremendous resolve. He's a good football coach. I might be a little too old to get back out there and run around."

(On if he connected well with Mangini)- "I felt we did, yes."

(On if he surprised that he was able to find as much common ground with Mangini as he did)- "Not really. I mean, didn't know Eric very well. We bumped into each other at the owner's meetings on occasion. I know a lot of the people that he's worked with. With me, whether I'm talking to players or coaches or even you guys, if we don't know each other very well, always with me it's kind of a clean slate and we build our own relationship and our own communication system, if you will and that's how I went into my discussion with Eric. I can't say I was pleasantly surprised. I just liked how he did it. It helped me in making the decision."

(On if the idea of mentoring someone weighed into his decision)- "I think we're all wired a certain way. In any job I ever took in coaching, it maybe just worked out that way, there were tremendous challenges in rebuilding something that appeared to be somewhat broken. I'm wired that way. Now this situation, I think it goes back to my old days when I was a high school history teacher and coach and all of that kind of stuff for 11 years. I really enjoyed it and you really get a chance to teach. When I became a pro coach, I looked at it the same way. Now I am in a different role certainly, but I'm still a teacher at heart. The thing is, on anything like that, the person has to want to also accept maybe some of your experience. That's also a two-way street. Yes, I like the thought and I hope I can do that. To make it really work, both sides have to want that to work and that's the feeling I got."

(On why Philadelphia didn't want to keep Heckert)- "It happens in organizations where young guys come in and work there and they're there for a long time. In some respects and again I'll equate it to my coaching experience, with guys like Andy (Reid) or Jon Gruden or Steve (Mariucci), whoever it was when they were coaching for me. At some point you know they're good enough to go do this on their own and so you kind of prepare yourself and prepare them to do it. It's part of the fun of being a ‘mentor' if you will. I think Tom had been there, had done it and now he had a chance to go someplace with even more responsibility. Really, it was time, maybe, for a different place. I think also Philadelphia I just saw today where they hired a new general manager, so clearly Philadelphia felt okay with allowing Tom to leave because they had someone else that they thought could come in and do the job. I think you put those two things together and we were the fortunate recipient of the whole thing."

(On if new scouts will be hired)- "He's going to handle that part of it, yes. He is responsible for that group of men. Whether he hires new ones or looks at the guys we have, typically in this business, you guys know this, very little is done before the draft. Then after the draft those kinds of decisions are made because of the dates on the contracts and so on and so forth. He has that responsibility, whether he exercises it or not remains to be seen."

(On who reports to who)- "I'm the big boss. I told you that the other day. I get the say in everything (joking). We're looking at it as a partnership. I'm there to break the ties. If we do this right, and we're going to do everything in our power to do it correctly, while we might disagree at the end of the day when we pick a player or we make a decision on a cut, it's for the Cleveland Browns. We will all do it as a group and together. They will have absolute responsibilities. They're bright guys. I'd be making a huge mistake if I didn't use all the people I have. I'd rather not say who boss is who. Let's just say, I get to be the boss."

(On who would make player personnel and scouting decisions)- "After we get things in place, that will be the general manager's responsibility with input from me. With Eric as an example, he will have responsibility for his coaches and his coaching staff. I reserve the right to, not make that decision, but certainly discuss thing with both Eric and Tom about those positions. They will be responsible for their departments."

(On the relationship between Heckert and Mangini and why Heckert withdrew himself from consideration last year)- "They've been together all day today, I'll tell you that. They seem to be doing fine. I didn't hear any yelling down there. I went in there a couple times. I think that's a good question to ask Tom tomorrow to be honest. I could give you my answer, what I think his reasons were. Ask him tomorrow, he'll tell you. It had nothing to do with Eric. I had something to do with, I believe he'd tell you, about his situation in Philadelphia, what he wanted to accomplish there and so on. Absolutely ask him tomorrow."

(On Brady Quinn's injury)- "I met with our training staff today. I don't believe he is going to need surgery. He needs some time, clearly. As far as the specifics of the injury, again, we can talk about that little bit tomorrow, but I don't believe he is going to have to have surgery."

(On if Quinn has a lisfranc injury)- "That's the first thought, yes."

(On if he has worked in an organization that is set up like this one)- "Let me think. No, not that I can think of. My experiences, of course in this league, were with the 49ers, the Packers and the Seahawks. No, all the Presidents in those organizations where they had a president, although Bill Walsh was the Head Coach and President of the 49ers when I was an assistant coach, it wasn't set up quite this way. I think this might wind up being somewhat unique because I am going to be very involved in the football aspect and often times the President is more involved in the business side of it."

(On what his days are like)- "It's interesting. When I talked to Randy about this position a little while ago, I thought, ‘This is going to be really great.' I was telling Kathy, ‘This is going to be really great. I am going to hire all of these people and I can just take people to lunch. I can do all sorts of stuff.' My first couple of weeks it's been a whirlwind. It's energizing. It's wonderful. I'm very, very excited about this. My challenge, honestly, is not to bug those guys too much, because I have a lot of ideas on how to do stuff after all these years of coaching. I know this, I've hired really good people and you'll get a little taste of that tomorrow. They are very, very capable and now how I mold the job will be, kind of, how I support them, how I help them, how I direct traffic. That's how I kind of see it going. Right now, I start the day and I have a little sandwich at my desk at lunch and I'm going pretty hard most of the day."

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
Just clicking

I came away from that teleconference with a sense that Holmgren knows exactly what he wants and knows how to go about getting it done..

For a "football" guy, he's setting up this organization in a very business like manner..

He answers every question., No evading,, no avoiding.. he handles the media very well... Calm, cool and collected.. humor laced, and seemingly, honest.

I was just telling my wife, I don't think we've had a man of his character as the face of the Browns since Paul Brown,, Modell wasn't, Certainly Carman Policy was polished but not believable, Clark wasn't, Palmer was a good guy with no support, Savage started out ok, but then when the pressure built, he coudn't handle it.. RAC was good but was evasive. Kokinis,, who knows.. Collins didn't speak much either. Mangini was guarded.. not that he wasn't honest, just very very guarded.

Holmgren comes across as genuine, honest and capable.. I can't wait to hear from Heckert and Wiedman (sp) this afternoon...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Here is Plutos take,,,

Quote:

With Holmgren as the "Chief Tiebreaker," revamped Browns worthy of fans' optimism: Terry Pluto's scribbles
By Terry Pluto, The Plain Dealer
January 11, 2010, 8:47PM
CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Scribbles in Terry Pluto's Browns notebook after the official announcement of Tom Heckert as general manager ...

1. I was very curious about how president Mike Holmgren was going to explain his management team of coach Eric Mangini and Heckert. Mangini is in charge of coaching, picking his staff and will have some input on the final roster, but picking the players is under the authority of Heckert. But in reality, it comes down to Holmgren, who called himself "The tiebreaker."

2. Here's how I think that will work. Suppose Mangini wants a defensive back high in the draft -- and don't be surprised if that's his top priority. Suppose Heckert favors a receiver for the same spot. That's when Holmgren will step in. After talking to both guys, he'll make the pick between the two choices.

3. Holmgren's own words on this: "I'm the big boss. I told you that the other day. ... We're looking at it as a partnership. I'm there to break the ties. If we do this right, and we're going to do everything in our power to do it correctly, while we might disagree at the end of the day when we pick a player or we make a decision or a cut, it's for the Cleveland Browns. We will all do it as a group and together. They will have absolute responsibilities. They're bright guys. I'd be making a huge mistake if I didn't use all the people I have. I'd rather not say whose boss is who. Let's just say, I get to be the boss."

Yong Kim / Philadelphia Daily News via APNew Browns GM Tom Heckert already has a solid reputation in NFL circles for successfully finding talent through the draft.4. The good part about having a Hall of Fame caliber-coach being the Chief Tiebreaker is that he knows football. It's not like the owner or some team president who is mostly a business guy making this critical decision.

5. I checked with top NFL personnel man about Heckert, my main question being "Did he run the draft in Philadelphia?" The NFL executive said, "My impression is that Tom did it with Andy Reid. He had a lot to do with their drafts, and they usually do a good job. They find pieces to help their team." With the Eagles, 13 of the 22 starters who finished this season were drafted during Heckert's regime (2001-09). Two more were undrafted free agents, and they also had three members of their 2009 draft playing key roles on an 11-5 playoff team.

6. Holmgren said Heckert "will set up the draft board." He also said Heckert will be able to make changes to the scouting staff. As we evaluate the next few drafts, we are looking right at Heckert. In his year out of football, Holmgren was not scouting college players. Neither was Mangini, who was coaching every day.

7. A coach can make a draft look better, especially those low-round picks. I believe this is part of the reason Holmgren kept Mangini. He saw the rise of Ahtyba Rubin, Evan Moore, Marcus Benard, Brian Schaefering, Chris Jennings, Michael Gaines and Jason Trusnik. None were high on anyone's radar screen before coming to the Browns. Claiming Matt Roth off waivers from Miami was a major move.

8. Talking to some people who know Holmgren, they said it was a misconception to think he was married to the 4-3 defense. In fact, he had some troubles with defense over the years. He simply wants a defense to stop the other team, and more than once he mentioned Mangini as a "defensive coach." That means the 3-4 is fine with Holmgren, assuming it continues to improve.

9. Holmgren's impact will be on the offense. He has definite ideas about what a quarterback should do, how he should be coached and what makes a good offense. While Holmgren said Mangini was "pleased" with the current staff and no major changes were planned, he added "as of now." I expect some changes, especially as some veteran assistants with Holmgren ties become available. Mangini had to put together his Cleveland staff quickly last season, and I'm sure he also is open to make the right upgrade on his staff.

10. On the conference call, there was much discussion about Mangini being on a one-year trial, despite having a contract that runs through 2012. But the fact is when you are 5-11 in your first season, you better improve in Year 2 or you probably will be gone -- no matter how long your contract or who is the team president. As Holmgren said, "We are accountable."

11. Yes, that was just a first offer to Joshua Cribbs. So let's see what comes next as Holmgren keeps putting his team together.

12. It's just a pleasure listening to Holmgren talk about the team because he speaks with confidence, stays away from corporate lingo and has a track record of major turnarounds in Seattle and Green Bay. He did that as a coach, so this is a different role. But the man also knows this is a chance to build a real legacy. Just imagine how Holmgren will be revered here if the Browns make the playoffs in two of the next three years.

© 2010 cleveland.com. All rights reserved.

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/index.ssf/2010/01/with_holmgren_as_the_chief_tie.html

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

9. Holmgren's impact will be on the offense. He has definite ideas about what a quarterback should do, how he should be coached and what makes a good offense. While Holmgren said Mangini was "pleased" with the current staff and no major changes were planned, he added "as of now." I expect some changes, especially as some veteran assistants with Holmgren ties become available. Mangini had to put together his Cleveland staff quickly last season, and I'm sure he also is open to make the right upgrade on his staff.

The above comments echo my concerns. When it was announced that Mangini was staying as well as the coaching staff, I was disappointed especially for the offense. I can't imagine Holmgren, being so offensive oriented, that he would not want to see some changes/improvements to the offensive coaching staff.

Now it seems that my disappointment might have been premature as it appears the door is not closed on some possible changes or additions to the offensive coaching staff. The Browns offense ranks dead last in total offense with the passing offense averaging only 130 yds per game. While I realize the Browns have a serious problem at QB, the offensive problems go deeper than who is playing QB. We know that we are going to get a new WR coach as George McDonald returned to the college level.

While I'm the most concerned about the offense, Holmgren can not ignore the Browns defensive needs either. The Browns defense ranked 31st in the NFL in total defense while the pass defense ranked 29th and rush defense ranked 28th.

I realize the Browns need to improve the talent level of the player personnel but I hope Holmgren can bring in some talented coaches to help teach and improve the talent level of the team. You can't depend on the draft or free agency to supply all the talent needed..coaches must also develop talent by teaching the game to those players who may have the raw talent that needs to be developed.

Hopefully Holmgren can bring in some additional coaching help...

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
To tell you true Mac, I didn't think there was anyway MH was going to stand for the pitiful performance of our offensive units.. I didn't know, and still don't, how or what form his intervention will take, but I was certain it would.

I don't think anyone will convince me that the day he announced that Mangini was staying, that he didn't say to him something like,, "Eric,, we gotta fix the offense,, it's a mess. I intend to jump into the fray and get it working."

Somewhere along the line, MH will get into it and I suspect that some changes are going to be made....

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Well I hope MH has some input on offense. I still think we lack the personel to run a great offense in this league. We have so many holes on offense starting with the oline, to rb, to TE and WR. Not sure we'll be a lot different next season either. What we need to do though it learn how to utilize the talent we do have, which our coaches were unable to do last season, starting with Harrison rotting on the bench and royal getting too much playing time, DA playing at all, and the biggest, St. Clair even being on our team. Those are the major issues that held us back all season.

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I still think we lack the personel to run a great offense in this league.

It's just a guess on my part, but I bet Holmgren and Heckert know this and will make an effort to fortify those positions in need..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Well I hope MH has some input on offense. I still think we lack the personel to run a great offense in this league. We have so many holes on offense starting with the oline, to rb, to TE and WR. Not sure we'll be a lot different next season either. What we need to do though it learn how to utilize the talent we do have, which our coaches were unable to do last season, starting with Harrison rotting on the bench and royal getting too much playing time, DA playing at all, and the biggest, St. Clair even being on our team. Those are the major issues that held us back all season.

Find a QB and the rest will go a long way towards "magically" fixing itself.

(Sidenote: I KNOW the QB needs a good cockpit to work in, but I think ours would look dramatically better if we had some semblance of good QB play)

Legend
Legend
Thanks, Mac! This was entertaining and informative, where some things here are lopsided, often one only, and totally without the other. This says a lot about character and PROVEN expertise. MH knows where he is going; EM sounds like he is willing to be part of the team of horses. The support folks also evidence solid judgment and I am counting on Holmgren to keep a tight leash, but for once since their return, I respect and trust the Browns JUDGMENT, to pick people and insist on professionalism born of competency on the part of all parties. I feel hopeful again. And it has been quite some time in the chain of floggings since I have felt this good as a Browns fan. Damn all the torpedoes, whether agents, egos, attitude, media, whatever. I say "Full steam ahead (and take me with ya!)!"

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I hope now that those who say Lerner doesn't care about this team, take notice. Randy is doing what we all want, time for him to get some respect from the haters.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I hope now that those who say Lerner doesn't care about this team, take notice. Randy is doing what we all want, time for him to get some respect from the haters.

And we owe it all to Dawg Pound Mike for showing Randy the way!

#GMSTRONG
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Holmgren's conference call.

Link Copied to Clipboard