Page 1 of 2 1 2
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

Cleveland Browns continue management restructuring under Mike Holmgren
By Tony Grossi
January 27, 2010, 10:13AM
BEREA -- Browns President Mike Holmgren has raided the Green Bay Packers of a long-time front office employee.

Holmgren has named Mark Schiefelbein vice president of football operations, reported the Milwaukee Journel-Sentinel.

Schiefelbein started with Green Bay as a public relations intern in 1989 prior to Holmgren even becoming Packers coach. Schiefelbein was director of football administration/communications with the Packers since 1999.

The appointment continues the restructuring of all Browns franchise operations under Holmgren.

Unlike Bill Parcells in Miami, Holmgren is responsible for all departments in Cleveland -- not just football operations.

Don't know a thing about the guy...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Yeah its not often you know anything about a VP of football ops for another team.

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I guess that's true,, I went to the GB site and they don't have much on him there either.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
What is being laid out is MH's support group..he's going to have people to handle a lot of his duties that will strap him down.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Can we take their QB too?

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

What is being laid out is MH's support group..he's going to have people to handle a lot of his duties that will strap him down.

What?

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Hard to evaluate this hire, as I dont even know what his responsibilities are here or what they were in GB. I guess I'm glad we got one/him

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
Legend
Legend
Must be someone he knew back in the day,...trusting his judgement on this, I would imagine it's someone he can count on,...also it's obviously someone who has left a decent organization to come here and work under MH.

No big deal.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

Cleveland Browns continue management restructuring under Mike Holmgren
By Tony Grossi
January 27, 2010, 10:13AM
BEREA -- Browns President Mike Holmgren has raided the Green Bay Packers of a long-time front office employee.

Holmgren has named Mark Schiefelbein vice president of football operations, reported the Milwaukee Journel-Sentinel.

Schiefelbein started with Green Bay as a public relations intern in 1989 prior to Holmgren even becoming Packers coach. Schiefelbein was director of football administration/communications with the Packers since 1999.

The appointment continues the restructuring of all Browns franchise operations under Holmgren.

Unlike Bill Parcells in Miami, Holmgren is responsible for all departments in Cleveland -- not just football operations.

Don't know a thing about the guy...

He's the guy I have had my eye on all along.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Legend
Legend
D
I've been saying since Holmgren got here that the key to the entire offseason will be when we get Schiefelbein ... we gotta get Schiefelbein, I said. Schiefelbein is synonymous with "quality" when it comes to football operations.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Holmgren has named Mark Schiefelbein vice president of football operations,

This is a heavy duty hire when looking around at where other teams have the VP of football operations located in their organizations.

Other teams have their VP over football operations located just under their GM.

The Browns have not listed him yet on their organizational chart.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
That name sounds made up. I think Holmgren is delusional and is putting his imaginary friends in places of importance.

Up next, our director of college scouting, Mr. Hairbrush.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
B
Legend
Legend
B
J/C

OK...so now we have a fine front office.

A quality assortment of football minds, business minds, and legal minds.

A dream team if you will.

I guess all that's left is to stock up on quality players and we are set.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I assure you, it's not made up

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

That name sounds made up. I think Holmgren is delusional and is putting his imaginary friends in places of importance.

I was wondering who cooks for the team??

in keeping with the dream team theme, maybe we need to bring in Emeril or someone like that.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Just clicking

Some of you seem really high on this guy,, I know nothing about him and haven't found much either... Anyone got a write up on him?

I mean, I know he exists,, but beyond that.. Nothing.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Actually Peen, I think we already have one of the best chefs in the league. Don't ask me to mention names. I know your post was in jest.....But I seem to remember the writers all commenting on the food during the training camps and such...

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Actually Peen, I think we already have one of the best chefs in the league. Don't ask me to mention names. I know your post was in jest.....But I seem to remember the writers all commenting on the food during the training camps and such...

I believe the chef's name is Alexander Schimmelfenig IX, keeping with our strategy of winning through more consonants.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
D
Legend
Legend
D
I have it on good authority that the NFL is thinking of renaming the position of "Head of Football Operations" to "The Schiefelbein", much like they once considered changing "Placekicker" to "Zendejas". True story, no lie.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I doubt any NFL team has a bad chef,....

If we HAD to switch, I'd get Paula Deen. She is a hoot.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
"What? "

U..don't get it...?

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

I've been saying since Holmgren got here that the key to the entire offseason will be when we get Schiefelbein ... we gotta get Schiefelbein, I said. Schiefelbein is synonymous with "quality" when it comes to football operations.

[Linked Image from dcptest.com]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

"What? "

U..don't get it...?

No

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Gotta get Michael Symon:

"Renowned in the culinary world and adored in his hometown of Cleveland, Michael Symon is the chef and owner of critically acclaimed Lola and Lolita restaurants in Cleveland, Ohio. Michael's pedigree started upon graduating from The Culinary Institute of America in New York in 1990. Michael quickly began revitalizing the Cleveland palate, while practicing in some of Cleveland's up and coming restaurants, such as Player's, Picolo Mondo, Giovanni's and The Caxton Café. In these venues, he found success as well as a loyal following and fan base.

In 1997, Michael opened his own restaurant, Lola, collaborating with his future wife, Liz. Lola opened just west of downtown Cleveland in the community of Historic Tremont, receiving glowing reviews. To compliment Michael's menu, Liz brought an unpretentious elegance to both the design of the restaurant and unique wine selection from lesser-known boutique vineyards that made Lola Cleveland's destination of the year. In 2005, Michael, Liz and Doug Petkovic gave birth to a new concept of Lola so they could open Lolita. They once again revitalized a new section of Cleveland with the re-opening of Lola in the heart of downtown Cleveland on E. 4th St. in 2006, becoming once again, the cornerstone and darling of the Cleveland dining scene.

Michael has earned much attention through the years for his thoughtful cooking style and his attention to detail. He was named National Rising Star by Restaurant Hospitality magazine (May 1997 issue), he was named one of the Top Ten Best New Chefs by Food & Wine magazine (July 1998 issue), America's Best Restaurants in Gourmet magazine (Oct. 2000 issue), featured in Michael Ruhlman's book The Soul of a Chef (2000), nominated for best chef-great lakes region by the James Beard Foundation (2006), as well as making appearances on WKYC-TV (Cleveland) on Mondays with Michael and iVillage Live on NBC. He has hosted over 100 episodes of The Melting Pot on Food Network, in addition to appearing on episodes of Sara's Secrets with Sara Moulton, Ready, Set, Cook and Food Nation with Bobby Flay. In 2007, he competed on the reality competition series The Next Iron Chef and won, securing his place as a permanent Iron Chef on Food Network's hit series Iron Chef America."

http://www.foodnetwork.com/chefs/michael-symon-bio-repeat/index.html

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

IMO he should hire Mr. Crapshoot or Mr. Totalbust for director of college scouting

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

Quote:

IMO he should hire Mr. Crapshoot or Mr. Totalbust for director of college scouting

I think we already have those guys.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Fear us, for we have Schiefelbein.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Just clicking

Some of you seem really high on this guy,, I know nothing about him and haven't found much either... Anyone got a write up on him?

I mean, I know he exists,, but beyond that.. Nothing.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Damanshot, you must be digging under the rocks again! Where was this? I am excited. If Holmgren put on his eyepatch and raided 'em, this guy must be good. Don't know what he did there, not sure what his title means for duties here, but hey, at least whatever he is doing for us that I have no clue about, he is doing it for the Browns! 'Nuff said, matey! Welcome aboard. LOL

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

Quote:

Packers fans don't know any more about the guy than we do as evidenced by the following comment on PFT by a Packers fan...

"Boy I hope Holmgren doesn't go after Gashmugalbidel too. That would be tough for our front office."

#gmstrong
R
2nd String
2nd String
R
Holmgren did say something about getting "creative" with a million titles.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I guess we hired a new strength and conditioning coach too:

Quote:

The Cleveland Browns announced two hires today: strength and conditioning coach Kent Johnston and vice president of football operations Mark Schiefelbein.

Johnston last coached at the University of Alabama in 2004 and 2005. He spent the past four years working in the private sector.

Johnston was in the NFL for 17 seasons with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Green Bay Packers and the Seattle Seahawks.

National Football Post

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Quote:

Hard to evaluate this hire, as I dont even know what his responsibilities are here or what they were in GB. I guess I'm glad we got one/him

It's an old article but it does decribe his duties while there...

Internship with the Packers turns into a 20-year career
By Sheryl Hanson ⋅ January 11, 2008 ⋅ Email this post ⋅ Print this article ⋅ Post a comment
As a UW Oshkosh student in 1989, Mark Schiefelbein accepted an internship with the Green Bay Packers. Little did he know that internship would lead to nearly 20 years at the Packers organization — a tenure that has included two Superbowls.

After completing the public relations internship, Schiefelbein was hired full-time to handle media relations including Packer players’ interviews and press conferences. Later, he took on a larger public relations role involving team travel. Lucky for him, the team travel stint was during the two Superbowl appearances in the 1990s.

“We essentially had to move our offices to New Orleans and San Diego for those events,” he said, adding that it was a great example of the entire organization working together for the greater good.

“That is what we are all about here,” he said.

Today, the Reedsburg native is director of administrative affairs, a position that includes community outreach, family programs, corporate travel, internal events, the Packers Hall of Fame and player development.

“Of course the most rewarding part of my job is game day,” he said. “No matter who works here, we are all here to help the team win.”

This season has been especially exciting, and now that the Packers are in the playoffs, the momentum continues to build. During the recent game in St. Louis, Mo., for example, Schiefelbein said Packer fans occupied half the stadium.

“To be a small part of it is great. To grow up in Wisconsin and work for the team you cheered for as a kid — it is a dream come true,” he said.

nordawg

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

#gmstrong
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
j/c

Herr Schiefelbein ist sehr gut fur das Cleveland Browns!

Yes, 9th grade German... you have served me well.

Follow me on Twitter <a href="link" target="_blank">http://twitter.com/CoachA12</a>
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

I have it on good authority that the NFL is thinking of renaming the position of "Head of Football Operations" to "The Schiefelbein", much like they once considered changing "Placekicker" to "Zendejas". True story, no lie.

I came home from work . . . real bad day . . . needed a chuckle . . . you provided a much needed laugh!

thank you Dave.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

I guess we hired a new strength and conditioning coach too:

Quote:

The Cleveland Browns announced two hires today: strength and conditioning coach Kent Johnston and vice president of football operations Mark Schiefelbein.

Johnston last coached at the University of Alabama in 2004 and 2005. He spent the past four years working in the private sector.

Johnston was in the NFL for 17 seasons with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Green Bay Packers and the Seattle Seahawks.

National Football Post

web page

Here is a good read about Kent Johnston, the Browns new strength and conditioning coach...

Strength Staff Helped Packers Perform at Optimum Level in '96

by Nathan Hager, Packers.com
posted 10/09/2006

As part of the Green Bay Packers' celebration of the 10th anniversary season of the Super Bowl XXXI Championship, Packers.com is running a series of stories about the people responsible for bringing the Vince Lombardi trophy back home to Titletown.

Brett Favre and Reggie White couldn't hide. They were larger than life and ultimately too popular to escape the attention of football fans across the country.

Such is the life of a superstar in one of football's most storied franchises. Every move on and off the field is magnified.

But there were plenty of men behind the scenes who helped make this success possible in the first place.

One of those people happened to be Kent Johnston.

Johnston, the Packers strength and conditioning coach for seven seasons, did his best to make sure the team could give an optimum performance every Sunday. Some of his duties included helping the players with weight control and nutrition as well as conditioning.

Chances are you may not know who he is, but then again, that's exactly the way he wanted it anyway.

"I enjoyed being the behind-the-scenes guy and I think about Reggie, who was in the tail end of his career," Johnston said. "Keith Jackson. Sean Jones. We had guys on our team that you know it was just so great to be a part of that year and them staying healthy so they could actually play. And play at a high level.

"It obviously helped us get where we needed to be. So that's one of the satisfactions I'll look back on. There's a lot of grace of God involved in a guy staying healthy. But they did their part. And that was very gratifying to both myself and (strength and conditioning assistant) Barry Rubin, I'm sure."

Johnston, who also coached for Tampa Bay and Seattle, constructed different training regimens according to the needs of each player, some of which didn't always follow the conventional route.

"There were a couple seasons there where we worked the martial arts," Johnston said. "When I was in Seattle, we did yoga in a 120-degree room. Their mobility capability is the foundation, so anything you can do to improve the players' movement (is important). A lot of the different art forms were good for that. We weren't afraid to plug in and try what we thought would help."

Whatever it was, it must have worked. Johnston and the strength staff kept a watchful eye on the players not only during the season, but also in the offseason by traveling throughout the country to monitor their progress.

And though Johnston enjoyed the job he was paid to do, the part he remembers the most was the camaraderie he shared with the players.

"I was a behind-the-scenes guy on that deal and I did my job in terms of going in and doing everything I could on the strength and conditioning side," Johnston said. "But it's the relationship side that meant more to me. I have a saying in life that I kind of go by and it's that the lesser is always included in the greater.

"The lesser that year really was winning the Super Bowl. The greater was the relationship and camaraderie that our particular coaching staff and the players were part of. That's something you can't ever have taken away from you. And those were the types of things that lasted. The relationships."

The 50-year-old is back in Texas, the state in which he was born and raised, and is currently working with what he said are elite-level athletes getting ready for NFL workouts. He also is involved in a business called Forge Equipment, which manufactures specialty exercise equipment, as well as an organization he and his partners developed for kids called Young Champions.

In fact, Johnston designed and patented a piece of exercise equipment while he was the Packers. Eventually Johnston moved on to Seattle with Mike Holmgren before deciding to coach at the University of Alabama for a season. He still is very much involved in his four boys' athletics and said he has "no desire to return to the NFL."

"The times in Green Bay kind of spoiled me," Johnston said. "We caught that wave just right. I had the blessing in being part of three NFL franchises during my NFL coaching career and traveling to all the others. And there is no franchise in existence in professional football like the Green Bay Packers.

"I'm living down here in Dallas Cowboy country, so you know I'm proud to wear this cap with this 'G' on it. I will always consider myself a Packer. Not because we went to the Super Bowl but because of the way those guys go about business. Bob Harlan and those guys there, it's the class act of the NFL."

Johnston clearly has fond memories of his time in Green Bay. According to him, he's never been around a particular team quite like the one that won Super Bowl XXXI.

"My memories are of the full journey, more than the climax, which is what occurred in New Orleans," he explained. "The unity that bunch had exceeded the unity any other group that I'd ever been around coaching in the NFL. It was extraordinary. And I think that chemistry was a big reason that we were able to achieve what we did that year."

Johnston cited several workout warriors from those days, including White, Favre, George Koonce and Adam Timmerman. According to him, the Super Bowl ring had a way of driving that team each and every day.

The ring is also something that meant a great deal to Johnston then and not surprisingly, still does today.

"I obviously cherish it," Johnston noted. "When I have an opportunity to speak I'll wear it because it means a lot to me. Obviously it symbolizes something very special to the guys that were a part of that team, the coaches and the players, but the platform that it gives you when you talk to kids and other coaches is of greatest value to me.

"Because you instantly have an ear when you put that thing on and you stand up and speak to a small or a large group."

And even if he doesn't often get to see the players Johnston and his staff helped prepare for the rigors of the NFL, the ring symbolizes the bond they will always have.

"You don't lose contact, but everybody's got their own life that they live," Johnston explained. "And we're spread out geographically. You know, when we talk on the phone or get together, it's like we're never apart. I love that."

Maybe Johnston was right. Perhaps being behind the scenes isn't so bad after all.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
A
Rookie
Rookie
A
Quote:

j/c

Herr Schiefelbein ist sehr gut fur DIE Cleveland Browns!

Yes, 9th grade German... you have served me well.

*back to lurking mode*

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Just clicking

This the most I've seen written up about the guy...

Quote:

Mark Schiefelbein
Vice President, Football Operations
Mark Schiefelbein brings 20 years of NFL experience to the Browns, including the last 18 with the Green Bay Packers (1992-2009), most recently serving as the Director of Football Administration/Communications. He also spent two years (1990-91) with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. During his NFL tenure he has worked public relations, community relations and operations. He broke into the league as an intern with the Packers in 1989. A native of Reedsburg, Wis., Schiefelbein is a graduate of the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh.

LOL,, He was with the Packers for 18 years and frankly, we have a bigger write up on him and he's only been with us a day....

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I was wondering who cooks for the team??

in keeping with the dream team theme, maybe we need to bring in Emeril or someone like that.

Naw....Bobby Flay. He has already tailgated here.

Beside Emeril probably has a pretty good gig with the Saints.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns add another high level guy

Link Copied to Clipboard