Print Thread
D
Davy Offline OP
2nd String
OP Offline
2nd String
D
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/roger-goodell-3-point-stance-020710

A ban on the three-point stance? NFL commissioner Roger Goodell says it's possible.

Concerned about concussions, Goodell said the league will keep looking for ways to make the game safer. Speaking on CBS's "Face the Nation" hours before the Super Bowl, he didn't rule out the idea of banning the three-point stance for linemen to reduce the ferocity of collisions at the line of scrimmage.

"As you'll see tonight, you'll see a lot of players that never get down in a three-point stance," Goodell said Sunday. "So it's possible that would happen."

While science is still trying to determine the long-term effects of concussions, Goodell said, the league has made progress in increasing awareness about the severity of such injuries.

"For many years the culture had been quite different - that concussions weren't serious injuries," he said. "I think we have changed that culture and made sure that people understand they are serious, and they can have serious consequences if they're not treated properly."

Goodell has met with NFL competition committee co-chair Rich McKay to begin evaluating possible rules changes.

Another priority for Goodell is the league's stalled labor negotiations. He predicted players' salaries will still grow under a new agreement, even if their share of revenue is reduced as owners have proposed.

Goodell said the owners need more money to cover rising costs for international ventures and infrastructure projects such as new stadiums.

"You have to invest in these stadiums that we're in today," the commissioner said. "You need to find new ways of creating revenue, whether it's international or otherwise. And that takes investment. And we need to make sure that the owners have the capital to be able to do that. And then the pie grows, and everyone benefits."

The union has said management wants players to reduce their share to 41 percent of applied revenues from about 59 percent. Goodell counters that of the $3.6 billion in incremental revenues since 2006, players received $2.6 billion.

"We want to structure something that really is going to lead us into the next decade in a way that's constructive, so the players benefit, the teams benefit, and most of all, the game," Goodell said.

The league's current labor contract expires in March 2011. NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith said Thursday the chance of a lockout next year is "14" on a scale of 1 to 10.

"I don't agree with that," Goodell said. "The owners don't win by having a lockout. Shutting down your business is not good for anybody. And it's certainly not good for the players. It's certainly not good for the fans."

Legend
Legend
So not only has passing been made easier, but now were going to make running the ball easier too?

I understand trying to make the game safer.

But in 10 years well be playing touch football.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I understand it's for the health and safety for the players, but it's known what risks you're putting your body into when you enter the league. Actually when you start playing period. Please don't go banning a 3 point stance..... that's just lame.

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
B
Legend
Legend
B
I have said this several times.....you want to reduce head injuries, cut back on the head protection.

Humans understand protecting the head is pretty important.

If you lessened the protection by artificial means, players in time would understand you can't lead with your head.

Most of us played at minimum some schoolyard football as kids with the neighborhood gang. If you were playing with helmets and pads, you played one way. If with nothing but a ball, you played another.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

A ban on the three-point stance? NFL commissioner Roger Goodell says it's possible

Roger Goodell's proposal is assinine, IMO.

Goodell is using a bandaid approach to a problem that centers around the design of today's football helmets..not the 3 point stance.

Today's helmets are behind the times by about 40 yrs as the outside material the helmets the NFL is using is the same rock hard plastic that many of us wore in the 60s.

While the inside cushioning of helmets has improved, the outside has stayed the same...absolutely no improvements have been made or mandated by the NFL since the hard plastic helmets first came out. The rock hard plastic helmets have no give when the come into contact with something hard. The result is all the energy transfer must be absorbed by the inside padding in today's helmets. Helmet manufactures have done about all they can with the padding on the inside of helmets...and it's not enough.

The fact is, the idea of a padded outside over the rock hard plastic outer shell was first used some 43 years ago...and it worked back then, too!

Here is an excerpt from an interview with Bobby Yarborough, the equipment manger for the KC Chiefs, who first designed the padded outside helmets...
............................................................................................................................................................

"Talking Helmets" with Bobby Yarborough

HH - How about a special helmet like Willie Lanier's how was that different?

BY - Willie was tackled head first when he was a rookie. Consequently he knocked himself out and suffered a serious concussion making a tackle during that first year. When he returned to play we switched him to a fluid filled Gladiator helmet. I also customized a strip of center ridge padding on the exterior surface of the shell. I got this idea from the old padded Macgregor helmets who offered this as a standard product in their catalog. I cut a four inch wide strip of shoulder pad type foam padding and glue it down the center ridge. I glued a second layer of three inch padding on top. I covered the foam padding with tightly stretched wide red vinyl tape. I finally repainted the entire helmet with a the dark scarlet spray paint which I got from Riddell. You could hit the helmet with a baseball bat and it would not hurt the player wearing it. The ironic part is that after his rookie season injury Willie learned to not tackle head first anymore. In fact he was nicknamed "huggy bear" by his teammates because he would effectively use his chest and shoulders to crush opposing runners. I told him his special helmet was just a "security blanket" for him. Willie admitted to me later in his career that he kept using the padded helmet primarily because it gave him a unique and menacing look.

web page

Why Roger Goodell would want to change the way football has been played for the last 140 years by eliminating the 3 point stance rather than fix the helmets...is a mystery he must explain.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
B
Legend
Legend
B
Leather helmets were outside padded helmets as well......sort of like "crush zones" on cars.

Put a thick leather or foam padding on the outside.....

I also agree on the 3 point stance...what is a center to do? Snap the ball standing sideways like kids do when they are 9??

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Because then Helmets would look awkward, and the NFL would lose viewers if their players didn't look spiffy in their nice little helmets.

A
All Pro
All Pro
A
I wasn't aware that many concussions occurred at the line of scrimmage between linemen either. I always thought they were (*mainly) from high speed collisions. I wonder how many concussions would be averted from banning the 3 point stance?

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

I wasn't aware that many concussions occurred at the line of scrimmage between linemen either. I always thought they were (*mainly) from high speed collisions. I wonder how many concussions would be averted from banning the 3 point stance?

Not sure, but just on memory it seems most concussions come from someone tackling/hitting with their head first, which is supposed to be illegal anyway. Isn't that called spearing?

Brodney's Pool's concussions were all caused by him putting his head when tackling.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
there is currently a roughing the snapper rule.But it's only for scrimmage kicks.....

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I wonder how many concussions would be averted from banning the 3 point stance?

That would be about the stupidest thing the NFL's ever done.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

there is currently a roughing the snapper rule.But it's only for scrimmage kicks.....

I know. My point* is if linemen can only take their hands to their knees, how is the center going to snap the ball??

* it was kind of a joke.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
G
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
G
I believe a better approach would be to require the defense to count, "one-Mississippi, two-Mississippi, three-Mississippi" before crossing the line of scrimmage. And snapping the ball while standing sideways as mentioned earlier was a tremendous suggestion. Now if only on kick-offs they would legalize the spot pass, the game will have been perfected.

Last edited by Reckon; 02/09/10 07:47 AM.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I also agree on the 3 point stance...what is a center to do? Snap the ball standing sideways like kids do when they are 9??

Also, they're going to allow punters to just throw the ball instead of kicking it and require D-linemen to count to at least 5 Mississippi before rushing (although they do get 1 blitz every possession).

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Legend
Legend
I always wondered if the rule says a punt is not one if it doesn't come off the foot,....

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

I know. My point* is if linemen can only take their hands to their knees, how is the center going to snap the ball??

* it was kind of a joke.

wouldn't the rules include defense too???

and seriously and FWIW

If they make too many more changes it will alter the game. Contact is what feetstball is all about.I dunno if there can be any more rule changes short of titty blocking and flags.

Last edited by Line Judge; 02/09/10 09:33 AM.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Because then Helmets would look awkward, and the NFL would lose viewers if their players didn't look spiffy in their nice little helmets.

osg...I hope you are joking..

Willie Lanier's helmet worked for him and with today's technology and new materials, we could make Willie's helmet look better.

Goodell is going to ruin Pro Football is he doesn't stop with his attempt to rule out contact.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
T
Legend
Legend
T
I noticed this year, and this is the FIRST YEAR beleive me, that the whistle has blown alot while the ball carrier was still on two feet, whenever 3 players gather around him even if a bloker is in there, whenever they encompass a ball carrier they blow the play dead with the whistle.

Goodell has yet to have a good idea and has had several bad ones, he is bad for the game, having no commissioner would have left the game in a better state.

To the first point I made, you will never see another player like Barry Sanders again, Not if they call an in the grass rule for players still on two feet. Years ago they changed the pass int, rule so that over the back, once pass int. is no longer but minor contact playing the player, once not p i , is now interference. Well Barry sanders with his abiltiy to shift his weight and make players become off ballance, step into a crowd, back out of the crowd, run past an offbalance player, get big gains.
On those type playes The play would be called back because they're blowing the play dead whenever 3 defenders encompass a ballcarrier.
Years ago, if a QB even twiched his arm backwards before a fumble it was considerd forward motion of a pass and not a fumble and the offense kept the ball. Also intentional grounding is still not enforced when it is obvious even about 2/3 of the time intentional grounding even by the new rules , outside the pocket throw to the line of scrimmage, is not called. Unfair to the defenses who cause this.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
If Goodell isn't careful, he could very well ruin the game of football. This sport has grown to the peak of American sports. It overtook baseball some time ago and it is firmly entrenched as the biggest sport in the country.

The Super Bowl annually brings in record numbers in viewership and the game itself has transcended sport becoming a huge event that brings in crazy revenue.

But if Goodell keeps tinkering with the rules, he is going to ruin everything that Tagliabue had done over the past however-many years.

He keeps adding more and more rules, and banning the 3pt stance would be a big step towards the proverbial last straw.

His rules "protecting" the QB have made the QB sack a really dicey proposition. Can't hit him high, low, or a second late. Big-name QB's can exploit this with flops that make it look as if somehow Anderson Varejao found himself on the football field.

Worst of all, I believe that the rules that "protect" QB's have introduce uncertainty onto the field of play, and defenders are forced to make split second decisions about whether to make a play---or let up. Often we see defenders ease up on a QB so as to not draw a foul---only to see the bigger QB's in the league slip out of the grasp of a defender who is playing with this uncertainty.

It is slowly ruining the game. Roger Goodell is slowly ruining the game. He is putting rules in place that control the players lives off the field, and putting rules in place that breed uncertainty on the field.

He is slowly taking defense out of the game. He is trying to be too politically correct---he is a power-hungry moron who will ruin the game with his "sheriff Goodell" act.

I wish to wash my Irish wristwatch......
Legend
Legend
This would be eminently stupid.... which of course makes me fully confident that this is the direction the league will go.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Maybe we should just replace Olinemen, with a blocking sled, and if the entire Dline can push the sled 5 yards before the QB throws the ball it counts as a sack.

This protects the QB, keeps O and D Linemans brains from bruising.

Also of course this means running the ball would be obsolete, but we are a passing league anyways, chicks dig the longball right?

Total brains saved, QBs, Dline, Oline, RB.

M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
I'm all for trying to find ways to reduce concussions. Luckily never had one myself when I played, but I had teammates who did and it made some of them a little spacy for a little while afterward which can't be good. And the more info that comes out about them the more we know how dangerous they really are.

But the 3 point stance being banned? He can't be serious. The 3 point stance is to football what boxing out is to basketball or the force out is to baseball. That's completely asinine.

"All I know is, as long as I led the Southeastern Conference in scoring, my grades would be fine." - Charles Barkley
A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

If Goodell isn't careful, he could very well ruin the game of football. This sport has grown to the peak of American sports. It overtook baseball some time ago and it is firmly entrenched as the biggest sport in the country.

The Super Bowl annually brings in record numbers in viewership and the game itself has transcended sport becoming a huge event that brings in crazy revenue.

But if Goodell keeps tinkering with the rules, he is going to ruin everything that Tagliabue had done over the past however-many years.

He keeps adding more and more rules, and banning the 3pt stance would be a big step towards the proverbial last straw.

His rules "protecting" the QB have made the QB sack a really dicey proposition. Can't hit him high, low, or a second late. Big-name QB's can exploit this with flops that make it look as if somehow Anderson Varejao found himself on the football field.

Worst of all, I believe that the rules that "protect" QB's have introduce uncertainty onto the field of play, and defenders are forced to make split second decisions about whether to make a play---or let up. Often we see defenders ease up on a QB so as to not draw a foul---only to see the bigger QB's in the league slip out of the grasp of a defender who is playing with this uncertainty.

It is slowly ruining the game. Roger Goodell is slowly ruining the game. He is putting rules in place that control the players lives off the field, and putting rules in place that breed uncertainty on the field.

He is slowly taking defense out of the game. He is trying to be too politically correct---he is a power-hungry moron who will ruin the game with his "sheriff Goodell" act.

Change your "Goodell" to "gov't."........and I feel the same about both.

M
All Pro
All Pro
M
Quote:

I have said this several times.....you want to reduce head injuries, cut back on the head protection.

Humans understand protecting the head is pretty important.

If you lessened the protection by artificial means, players in time would understand you can't lead with your head.

Most of us played at minimum some schoolyard football as kids with the neighborhood gang. If you were playing with helmets and pads, you played one way. If with nothing but a ball, you played another.

When Peen's right, he's very right. (and when he's wrong... ) Today's harder-than-diamond helmets make you feel invincible, which is more dangerous than no helmets at all. Get rid of those helmets and you get rid of that attitude. Also, I find it hard to believe that NO sporting goods company could design a cool looking helmet with exterior padding.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"One man's Bum is another man's Hobo" - Waterdawg
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum "Goodell: NFL could ban 3 point stance" [article]

Link Copied to Clipboard