Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
Legend
Legend
C
He had only two last year. But we can assume that he had only two (or the amount Mays had in his Sophomore, Junior, and Senior seasons combined) because teams were throwing away from him.

Living in Southern California I watched most of USC's games. Teams were going after Taylor Mays, not avoiding him.

I want to make one thing clear. Taylor Mays is not a bad football player. He is just overrated. If he goes in the top 15, teams will be sorely disappointed because he won't make an immediate impact. If taken outside the top 15 and given a chance to develop his skills Mays could be a good player. As a Steeler fan you knows this, as Polamalu didn't start one game his rookie year.

By the looks of it some team will fall in love with Mays because of his measurable (cough....Seahawks...cough) and force him into action too early and he will be exposed his first couple of seasons.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

How many did Berry have last year?

HACK

yebat' Putin
All Pro
All Pro
Mays is the fastest DB, looks like he might win the combine. What a freak. He's killing the drills too. Fun to watch.

A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams.

John Barrymore
C
Legend
Legend
C
I'd say Bruce Campbell is just as much of a freak as Taylor Mays.

All Pro
All Pro
Quote:

I'd say Bruce Campbell is just as much of a freak as Taylor Mays.

Yea, too bad Al Davis only has one 1st rounder.

A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams.

John Barrymore
C
Legend
Legend
C
Mays official forty time..............4.43.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Didn't people say he ran a 4.2 forty at USC?

C
Legend
Legend
C
Right he ran a "4.2" forty as USC. I assume this was with USC coaches timing it.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Here's Rich Eisen's forty if anyone is interested. High comedy.

NFL.com - Rich Eisen's 40-Yard Dash

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R

Legend
Legend
I read Mays ran a unofficial 4.24 forty time at the combine

That is ungodly for man his size. I can't say I'm surprised since Mays is a freak of nature physically. CJ spiller ran a 4.27.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Quote:

Wow! We all know how physical he is, and how hard he hits. Wasn't the knock on him that he wasn't fast enough to be a top 10 pick?

With that 40 time, he may have pushed himself back into the top 15.

C
Legend
Legend
C
His official 40 time is a 4.4.

Everyone always knew he was fast, it's his coverage skills that are in question.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I had no clue he was that fast. I know he's huge and hits like Jack Tatum, but I did not know he had wheels like that.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Wow! We all know how physical he is, and how hard he hits. Wasn't the knock on him that he wasn't fast enough to be a top 10 pick?

No, everyone felt that Mays would completely tear the combine a new one. His only problem is that he's just a mediocre safety. I think he would be scary as hell at OLB.

C
Legend
Legend
C
He hits like Jack Tatum...only if Jack Tatum missed 1/4 of his hits.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

So I want Nate Allen who had 4 plus 85 tackles.

Or even Ghee in the second who ran a 4.37.

I don't really care what Ghee ran, but he is a heck of a cover corner. DBs are very deep this year.

I would love Berry/Ghee. But, I would also love Haden/Allen. Those are my 1a and 1b options. Hopefully, we get one of those combos.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Theirs no way Taylor Mays ran a 4.43

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The 4.24 was unofficial. The 4.4 was official

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Yes that is his official time, but one run he ran a 4.24. That means if he did it once he can surely do it again.

But I am not totally sure what they mean by official and unofficial. is it just a different way of timing it or do they average out the runs? I always thought they averaged out the runs, but I could be wrong.

Last edited by Cleveland_clutch; 03/02/10 08:54 PM.
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

Quote:

Yes that is his official time, but one run he ran a 4.24. That means if he did it once he can surely do it again.

But I am not totally sure what they mean by official and unofficial. is it just a different way of timing it or do they average out the runs? I always thought they averaged out the runs, but I could be wrong.

The unofficial is timed by a person with a stopwach. The official is timed by an electronic system, making it more accurate.

cle23 #466840 03/02/10 09:00 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Don't be so sure about that. Scouts and NFL teams don't use the "official" time.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

With that 40 time, he may have pushed himself back into the top 15.

The knock on him is he's an athlete playing football, not a football player who's an athlete.

How does a guy that physically gifted not affect a football game more than he does? The guy had 1 forced fumble and 5 interceptions........in his ENTIRE college career. 3 of those INT's came as a freshman.

He'll make some plays here or there but there seems to be a huge disconnect between his body and his brain. He's not great at reading keys and at USC his job looked to simply be to run to the football. Even so, he's known to take bad angles and be somewhat of a poor tackler.

Someone will surely fall in love with the guy but I wouldn't touch him with a #1. He's one of those workout warriors that screams potential bust. I think he has a better chance as a LB at the next level but we shall see.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

Don't be so sure about that. Scouts and NFL teams don't use the "official" time.

That doesn't make any sense to me though. The combine was set up so teams could scout prospects. Why would they implement an electronic timing system and then not use it?

cle23 #466843 03/03/10 11:46 AM
Legend
Legend
one thing i noticed.. they showed a replay of chris johnson's 40.. they used a string at the end of the run to help measure the accuracy of the timing.. they did not use that this year or last year i believe.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
From Walter Football . . .

http://walterfootball.com/combine2010stock6.php

POSITIVE . . .

Eric Berry, S, Tennessee
Despite bulking up, Eric Berry put on a show at the Combine. He ran a 4.40 at 211 pounds and notched a 43-inch vertical. He's a top-seven lock.

Chris Cook, CB, Virginia
Chris Cook had a great Combine, running a 4.43 at 6-2, 212. Al Davis will definitely be interested in Round 2.

Brandon Ghee, CB, Wake Forest
Brandon Ghee measured in a bit taller than he was listed (6-0 instead of 5-11) and then ran a great 40 (4.37). There's a good chance he goes in Round 2.

Kareem Jackson, CB, Alabama
Kareem Jackson really helped himself at the Combine with a 4.41 40. He's a solid second-round prospect.

A.J. Jefferson, CB, Fresno State
Mike Mayock repeatedly praised A.J. Jefferson during the Combine. Jefferson, who is 6-0 with long arms, ran a 4.43 and notched a 44-inch vertical. He's a project, but has a ton of upside.

Reshad Jones, S, Georgia
Reshad Jones ran well (4.54) and had a nice vertical (39.5) at the Combine. I also thought he looked very good in the drills.

Taylor Mays, SS, USC
Don't pay attention to that so-called "official" 40 time of 4.43. Taylor Mays ran a low 4.3 or high 4.2; in a simulcast against Trindon Holliday, Mays beat Holliday, who ran a 4.34. For the second year in a row, the official times at the Combine were screwed up. Regardless, Mays ran well and also notched a 41-inch vertical - but we all knew that would happen. His main concern remains his ability to cover. Still, as the NFL Network analysts opined, some coaches will think they can coach up Mays. The physical talent is definitely there.

Devin McCourty, CB, Rutgers
Devin McCourty ran the fastest 40 of any corner at the Combine at 4.34. He also looked great in the drills. McCourty may sneak into the first round.

Darrell Stuckey, S, Kansas
I thought Darrell Stuckey looked really great in the drills. He also ran an impressive 4.49 and leaped a 39.5-inch vertical.

NEGATIVE . . .

Joe Haden, CB, Florida
A lot is being made of Joe Haden's horrific 40 time of 4.57. I personally don't think it's a big deal. The instant Haden got into his stance, Deion Sanders nearly had a seizure. Deion noted that the stance was terrible, and sure enough, Haden got off to a poor start both times. He'll likely improve his 40 at his Pro Day. Haden is still an option for the Browns at No. 7, but there's a greater chance he falls out of the top 10 now.

Jerome Murphy, CB, South Florida
Ran a slow 40 (4.52) at the Combine, and from what I'm hearing, he turned some people off during the interviews.

Myron Rolle, SS, Florida State
Myron Rolle has been out of football for a year, so he needed to test well. Unfortunately, Rolle recorded a 4.68 in his 40. He remains an early Day 3 pick.

Stephan Virgil, CB, Virginia Tech
How does a corner run a 4.73? Many of the defensive ends were faster than that.

Donovan Warren, CB, Michigan
I think Donovan Warren is a terrific player, but he really hurt himself by running a 4.59 at the Combine. He may slip on Draft Day, but whomever picks him will likely land a steal.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
From Walter Football . . .

http://walterfootball.com/combine2010stock5.php

POSITIVE . . .

Geno Atkins, DT, Georgia
Geno Atkins is having a very strong NFL Draft preseason. After an impressive Senior Bowl, Atkins ran a 4.75 at 293 pounds at the Combine. He also benched 34 reps.

Jamar Chaney, ILB, Mississippi State
Jamar Chaney quietly pieced together a great Combine, notching a 4.51 40 (fastest for any linebacker), a 39-inch vertical and 26 reps of 225.

Brandon Graham, DE, Michigan
Despite bulking up to 268 pounds, Brandon Graham ran an impressive 4.69 at the Combine. He also posted 31 reps of 225. It'll be very difficult for the Falcons to pass on him at No. 19.

Jerry Hughes, DE/OLB, TCU
Jerry Hughes ran a solid 4.59 at the Combine and looked like a natural 3-4 rush linebacker in all of the drills. He'll probably be drafted in Round 2, but he looks like a winner.

Linval Joseph, NT, East Carolina
I know 40 times don't mean much for nose tackles, but a 5.09 at 328 pounds is damn impressive. Also, 39 reps shows that Joseph is in good shape.

Jason Pierre-Paul, DE, South Florida
There's not that much tape on Jason Pierre-Paul, so the Combine was his time to shine. Pierre-Paul ran a breath-taking 4.64 at 6-5 270. If Al Davis needed a defensive end, Pierre-Paul would be the No. 8 pick in the 2010 NFL Draft. Instead, he's likely to land in Jacksonville.

Daniel Te'o-Nesheim, DE, Washington
Daniel Te'o-Nesheim put on a good performance at the Combine. Despite bulking about from 250 to 263, Te'o-Nesheim ran a 4.72, benched 29 reps and had a vertical of 37 inches. And he's not just some workout warrior; Te'o-Nesheim had 9.5 sacks in 2009, eight sacks in 2008 and 8.5 sacks in 2007.

Daryl Washington, TCU
Daryl Washington looked good at the Combine, running a 4.57 in the 40. He told Charles Davis that he would prefer to play weakside linebacker in the NFL.

Dekoda Watson, OLB, Florida State
Dekoda Watson made some money at the Combine. Despite weighing 240 pounds, Watson had the second-fastest fastest 40 of all the linebackers, running it in 4.53 seconds. He also had 24 reps and 40 inches on the vertical jump.

Sean Weatherspoon, OLB, Missouri
Wearing white spandex pants, Sean Weatherspoon ran a 4.57 at the Combine. He also notched a 40-inch vertical and 34 reps of 225. He's a virtual lock to go in Round 1.

Jason Worilds, DE/OLB, Virginia Tech
Jason Worilds didn't have a good 2009 campaign, but managed to strengthen his NFL Draft stock at the Combine. Worilds ran a 4.70, benched 24 reps and notched a 38-inch vertical.

NEGATIVE . . .

Greg Hardy, DE, Ole Miss
Greg Hardy ran a hideous 4.87 at the Combine. He can't keep his weight down in the wake of all of his injuries. I don't see how any team drafts him in the first two days.

Jammie Kirlew, DE, Indiana
Jammie Kirlew reported two inches shorter than expected (6-3 to 6-1) and ran a 4.94 at 260 pounds.

Brandon Lang, DE, Troy
Ran a very poor 4.96 40 at 6-4, 266. Not exactly what you want to see out of a pass-rusher.

George Selvie, DE/OLB, South Florida
Following two years of poor production, George Selvie needed to have a good Combine. Running a 4.89 is not what he had in mind. Selvie is a mid- or a late-round pick.

Brandon Spikes, ILB, Florida
Brandon Spikes did all of the drills at the Combine, but decided to skip the 40. There's probably a good reason why. His range remains a concern.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Donovan Warren, CB, Michigan
I think Donovan Warren is a terrific player, but he really hurt himself by running a 4.59 at the Combine. He may slip on Draft Day, but whomever picks him will likely land a steal.

this is why it is silly season right now. they just gave me a glimmer of hope that Warren could drop to us in the 2nd round.

while I think that Haden&Allen about equals Berry&Ghee; I think that Berry& Warren would trump both of those combinations. And there is that glimmer now.

#gmstrong
U
All Pro
All Pro
U
I've seen people projecting Warren to go in the 3rd round, so chances are pretty good he'll be there in round 2 for the Browns.

N
Legend
Legend
N
i was seeing a lot of him going round1 when the season ended, I just checked the sites I trust the most and they now have him late 2nd to 3rd.

look at the dates on these comments and what they say. I hate Michigan, but I really like Graham and Warren. Hopefully, other NFL teams let him slip because he's a good one. This site dropped him from #2 to #10 because of that 40-time. That's ridiculous.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2010CB.php

Quote:

3/3/10: I think Donovan Warren is a terrific player, but he really hurt himself by running a 4.59 at the Combine. He may slip on Draft Day, but whomever picks him will likely land a steal.

1/3/10: Donovan Warren has declared for the 2010 NFL Draft. Warren is an excellent corner. He made the right move by capitalizing on an incredible junior campaign. He should be the second corner off the board.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

this is why it is silly season right now. they just gave me a glimmer of hope that Warren could drop to us in the 2nd round.

Remember a player named Babatundi Oshi something.. Before the draft he was thought to be someone that could go anywhere from the top of the 2nd round to no later than the middle of the 3rd.. Nobody looked at him until we drafted in I think in the 6th round.. (I'd have to check the round but it was late)

*(note) I did check, he was the second of two picks in the 6th round

The cream rises, great football minds know stuff that the media talking heads don't.

That's pretty much why I review draft sites with a little chuckle...

Last edited by Damanshot; 03/03/10 01:31 PM.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

I hate Michigan, but I really like Graham and Warren.

Hey, quiet down. It's people like you who make Braylon Edwards hate me. Does it really matter if they are from Michigan?

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

Hey, quiet down. It's people like you who make Braylon Edwards hate me. Does it really matter if they are from Michigan?

the fact that I would pull the trigger on either player if they are there for us in the 2nd round means that I do not think so.

i put that in there mostly so the Buckeye diehards don't come in here and assume that i must be a Michigan fan and that's the only reason that I think those are good players. the fact is, they are good players and I think would both help out our defense.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

If they hit like Thom Darden,....No !!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Combine thread...

Link Copied to Clipboard