Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2010/02/cleveland_browns_will_give_jer.html

Cleveland Browns will give Jerome Harrison high tender

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. -- Browns President Mike Holmgren won't make it easy for teams hoping to sign away running back Jerome Harrison.

He said the team will "tender him something to make it very difficult for somebody to come in and get him.”

Harrison, who completed his fourth NFL season with a bang, will be a restricted free agent because of the uncapped year. The Browns can either give him the first-round tender for a four-year player of $2.521 million or the first- and third-round tender of $3.168 million.

Teams would have to give the Browns those draft picks if they signed Harrison. The Browns would also have a chance to match the team's offer.

Holmgren admitted he wonders if Harrison -- 5-9, 205 -- can handle the load over the course of a season.

"He handled himself in the last part of the season beautifully when he was given the ball a lot,'' Holmgren said. "But he's not the biggest guy in the world and it's hard for them. You need a couple guys. That’s one of the things we hope to get out of the draft.''

Over the final three games, Harrison totaled 561 yards, the eighth-highest three-game total in NFL history and most-ever by a Brown. He also rushed for 286 yards against Kansas City, third-most single-game rushing yards in NFL history.

Overall, he rushed for 862 yards and five TDs despite starting only seven games.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Post Deleted by Ref00. 1. No link. 2. Even if you had a link, Twitter references are not permitted here. They may at a later date, but until announced otherwise, they are not.

Last edited by Referee00; 03/05/10 01:35 AM.
Legend
Legend
omg.. i hope we don't trade EVERYTHING away.. I don't like the sound of this.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

omg.. i hope we don't trade EVERYTHING away.. I don't like the sound of this.

Wow,, talk about overreaction..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Seconded. I like it.

D
2nd String
2nd String
D
I really think that most of the users on this message board are pretty grounded and realistic.

I was searching for Browns trade rumors and ended up at the redskins insider column on the Washington Post.

Here are two examples of their trade ideas they think are fair

Jason Campbell for Joe Thomas

Jason Campbell for Josh Cribbs and a 2nd round pick

Has anyone seen any linked articles about Jason Campbell for Brady Quinn in a player swap? I am reading about that one quite a bit but cannot find any linked articles. I am sure it would be contigent on a new deal for Campbell also.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Makes sense to me that we are. I'd guess that Seattle will be too, and maybe one or two others that are said to have deeper pockets and many needs.

I've been doing a lot of reading (at lunch of course) and thinking today about RFAs and UFAs and trades. I think we can make a few splashes. My faves:

From an RFA perspective:
OG Rob Sims was tendered at 4th round today. Because of all of the injuries in Seattle, he's been a consistent starter. I believe he could step in at RG right away and be an upgrade. It'd cost us our 4th and a new contract, but would be worth it.

Safety OJ Atogwe was tendered as 1st right of refusal today. No compensation to the Rams needed, but likely a big contract, but a very big upgrade.

WR Anquan Boldin for a 3rd rounder? Sign me up. Again, another big contract but worth it. Of course, this is predicated on the next one...

QB Donovan McNabb or Matt Hasselbeck. I've been reading where talking heads (typing heads in this case?) have said 2nd rounder could get McNabb, and I'd suspect Hasselbeck would be similar. I'd guess Rogers for either straight up could also work since both could use 4-3 DTs. Quite possibly another big contract for these guys.

Safety Ryan Clark - not completely sure how I feel about this one, but they guy can play ball. Would be interesting to get Hack's opinion on him and his contract expectations.

One other guy that is expected to get cut tomorrow intrigues me, but I'm not sure if he could play DE in the 3-4. He's something like 290#, and I know he plays the run well - been a bit of a dissapointment in Nawlins as 4-3 DE and is owed a lot of money. Just intriguing, but not sure if I'd do it.

Contracts will be interesting this year - I'd expect to see smaller bonuses and larger 1st year salaries to get around future cap implications (assuming the same proration of the signing bonuses occurs in the next CBA).

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Just a general comment ....

The Browns have 11 picks in this draft, and there have been rumblings that they might have another 1 or 2 compensatory picks coming as well. (Although given that the formula the NFL uses is more closely guarded than the secrets of the Egyptian Pyramids .... who knows?) It is highly unlikely that they pick 13 players in any draft .... so there could well be some trades .... some trades to improve position in the draft .... and some trades to gain future picks.

I think that the Browns are in a pretty good position this off-season.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Here are two examples of their trade ideas they think are fair

Jason Campbell for Joe Thomas

Man..............Maybe if we throw in our 2nd rounder this year, the Redskins would bite!

C'mon, Holmgren, make it happen!

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
eport: Browns trading Corey Williams to Lions
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 4, 2010 10:44 PM ET
Browns defensive lineman Corey Williams made it clear last year that he wasn't happy in Cleveland. Now he's on the way out.

Chris Mortensen of ESPN is reporting that unnamed sources say Williams will land with the Lions in exchange for a late-round draft pick. Mortensen writes that Williams is scheduled to take a physical on Friday to finalize the trade from the Browns to the Lions.

Although acquiring Williams would bolster the Lions' defensive line, Mortensen writes that the Lions wouldn't be done upgrading their defensive line there. Per Mortensen, the Lions may also sign free agent defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch and draft Nebraska defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh.

Williams played in all 16 games for the Browns last year and recorded four sacks.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Legend
Legend
Williams is a beast.. He's atleast worth a 3rd/4th round pick..

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Lions have 1 pick in the 4th, 2 picks in the 5th, 1 in 6th, none in 7th. Lets hope it is the pick in the 4th, assuming it is this year.

B
Rookie
Rookie
B
A 4th would be great!

Legend
Legend
adding another 4th gives us Blount and TE Pitta

in my dreams atleast... and my mock.. lol.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Getting his $7 million 2010 figure off the books is a great move. Getting anything in return is a bonus.

He's yet another Phil Savage move that was ill-fitted for this team.

B
Rookie
Rookie
B
Quote:

adding another 4th gives us Blount and TE Pitta

in my dreams atleast... and my mock.. lol.

Funny, I was hoping for the same thing..(Pitta) he should still be around in the 4th.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I can't criticize Savage for that one too much. You, me and the rest of the board loved the move then. I still stand by the my belief that Williams failed in a 3-4 only because of his attitude.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
and health...

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
Legend
Legend
He did better last year when he had a chip on his shoulder.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
I'm not so sure Pitta will be there in the 4th. He had a really nice combine - both in the measurables and in drills. That being said, I'd be very happy if he were and ended up wearing the orange helmet next season.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

I can't criticize Savage for that one too much. You, me and the rest of the board loved the move then. I still stand by the my belief that Williams failed in a 3-4 only because of his attitude.

I can't comment on his attitude, as I don't know enough to form a fair opinion. But in terms of liking or disliking the move, it comes down to whether or not it worked.

I do give him credit for playing much of the year with one shoulder. He, like so many players Savage acquired, didn't fit what we tried to do.

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Quote:

I do give him credit for playing much of the year with one shoulder. He, like so many players Savage acquired, didn't fit what we tried to do.

and now that pool is gone that whole draft was a waste.

We're trying to throw the ball downfield and he checked the ball down to Trent Richardson and the Indians on the choice.
Legend
Legend
i think anderson goes to panthers.. im callin it now

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

To back up Matt Moore?

Legend
Legend
Lito Shepard is a free agent too.. he could be a target.

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Quote:

Quote:

To back up Matt Moore?

To lead them to victory

Gosh, I hope we get a starting QB

We're trying to throw the ball downfield and he checked the ball down to Trent Richardson and the Indians on the choice.
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
With Delhomme gone now, I can see that happening.

Competing with another former Beaver in Matt Moore for the starting position...

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Seems like smoke is being blown up our arses to me.

After retaining the entire coaching staff after the Holmgren hire I am getting the impression we will do few, if any, major moves until the CBA issue is resolved. Sorry, just don't see us being that active. Heck, of all our RFA's, not one was hands off? There wasn't one we absolutley wanted to keep? Not Roth? Not Harrison? It seems we could have at least locked these two up without too much financial pain.

Legend
Legend
None of those guys are really worth a 1st round tender..... and no team is gonna give up a 1st for them; but they MAY give up a 2nd.

That actually HELPS us:

1. Other teams will help set the value/market. Getting them signed long term should be easier. We also get right of refusal and can match anything they may be signed to.

2. If they ARE signed by someone and we choose not to match, we're getting compensation for them FAR, FAR above what it cost us to obtain those players in a draft that is pretty top-heavy in talent. Those 2nd round picks would bring in some major talent on a team that is starved for talent.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I'm going to say Derek Anderson to the Rams. You heard it here first!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I can see your point Prp, but I just think Roth made and impact and Harrison showed he was worth giving a shot.

I agree, with the CBA elapsing, any Junior in College that is worht his salt is thinking this is my last shot at the rookie money, gotta come out now....

K
Rookie
Rookie
K
How about Anderson to the Cards as a possible backup to Leinart or to the Bills. Does anybody know if there's a chance that DA gets that contract re-structured? I thought I read somewhere that his agents were going to meet with the team.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

Or Jake Delhlone to the Browns......now that scares the bajibas out of me..

Legend
Legend
j/c

Does anyone think we'd show interest in this guy?

www.KFFL.com

Packers | Colledge may receive interest from another team
Thu, 04 Mar 2010 22:44:03 -0800

Jason Cole, of Yahoo! Sports, reports Green Bay Packers restricted free-agent OG Daryn Colledge may receive interest from another team, according to multiple league sources. Colledge was given a second-round tender from the team.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

How about Anderson to the Cards as a possible backup to Leinart

This is mentioned as a possibility at PFT.

Also, the Sportcenter on The Fan, here in C-Bus is saying the Browns would consider trading Rogers.

Legend
Legend
I was hoping when I read the Browns were going to be Active Traders it meant we were going to be getting players, not getting rid of players. Come on Browns 12 1/2 hours are gone already!

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
http://espn.go.com/espnradio/player?rd=1...lsign=ESPNRADIO

at the 1:40ish mark, jaws says he thinks DA can be a productive qb and that he is a DA fan. he also said this isn't a guy who will give good pocket presence or pocket movement but with a good line, just letting him air it, he can get the job done.

who knows, maybe this can somehow help build some value and allow us to trade him.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Could this be our future starter? I don't know how happy I would be about it but he is familiar with the WCO and it would only take a 3rd round pick. Which we have two of.

Personally I don't think much of Jackson but that doesn't mean Holmgren feels the same way.

Vikings tender Tarvaris at third-round level
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 3, 2010 8:42 PM ET
If Brett Favre retires, Tarvaris Jackson would be the favorite to start at quarterback for the Vikings in 2010.

But if another team wants to take Jackson from the Vikings, it would require nothing more than a contract offer with a poison pill, combined with a third-round draft pick.

Jackson is set to become a restricted free agent, and NFL Network reports that the Vikings tendered him at the third-round level. If another team signs Jackson to an offer sheet, the Vikings would have seven days to match the offer or get that team's third-round pick.

A third-round draft pick isn't much compensation for a starting quarterback, but the tender offer may be an indication that the Vikings believe Favre will come back.

Or maybe it just means the Vikings don't think the rest of the league thinks very highly of Jackson, and that they doubt any team would sign him to an offer sheet.

UPDATE: After several readers raised questions about this item, we need to clarify. Jackson was tendered at the original-round level, and he was a second-round draft pick. But because the Vikings used a second-round tender on Fred Evans, they cannot receive second-round compensation for Jackson. If another team signs Jackson to an offer sheet and the Vikings don't match the offer, the Vikings will get that team's third-round pick.

The relevant language in the Collective-Bargaining Agreement reads, "Notwithstanding Subsections 2(b)(i) and 2(b)(ii) above, in the event that a Prior Club tenders any of its Restricted Free Agents originally selected in a draft round lower than the second round a Qualifying Offer that requires Draft Choice Compensation of one second round selection (the "(c)(ii) Upgraded Tender"), the Prior Club shall only be eligible to receive Draft Choice Compensation of one third round selection for any of its Restricted Free Agents originally selected in the second round of the Draft, unless such Restricted Free Agents have each received a Qualifying Offer of at least the amount of the (c)(ii)Upgraded Tender."

R
All Pro
All Pro
R
Is this because they were a final four team? Because we gave most our guys 2nd round tenders.

by the way, not real interested in Tarvaris at all.

"He who buys what he does not need steals from himself."
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns expected to be active traders .....

Link Copied to Clipboard