Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2010/03/cleveland_browns_release_derek.html

Cleveland Browns release Derek Anderson
By Tony Grossi
March 09, 2010, 2:37PM
The long-expected end for Derek Anderson came this afternoon when the Browns announced they released the one-time Pro Bowl quarterback.

In a statement, coach Eric Mangini said, "I want to thank Derek for everything that he gave to the Cleveland Browns organization over the last five years. He did everything we asked of him and it was a pleasure to coach such a competitive person. I want to wih him all the best in the future."

The release came less than 24 hours after the Browns traded for Seattle backup quarterback Seneca Wallace.

Anderson was due a $2 million roster bonus on March 19 and was scheduled to earn a base salary of $7.45 million in 2010, the last of a three-year contract he signed after his Pro Bowl-alternate season of 2006.

Look for Anderson to find a team rather quickly now that no team has to inherit that contract.

Last edited by Referee00; 03/09/10 04:03 PM.
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
No surprise here. They just traded for his replacement and now our backup Wallace. Plus he was due a large bonus.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
N
Legend
Legend
N
for DA's sake, I do hope he ends up in AZ. with Fitz and Breaston, he could be decent again.

if he ends up on the Rams or Redskins, I wouldn't imagine he'd do much differently than he did here.

thanks for 2007 DA.

#gmstrong
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
I guess it shouldn't be a total surprise, but it was wierd reading it for some reason.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
i was hoping we'd get something from him or restructure him. too bad. i appreciate the effort he gave and the 07 season. the fans didn't like him but his teammates did.he was the first guy in a while to provide any semblance of decent qb play since we came back. hope he does better with his next team.

B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
Nice.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
This deserves a few of these....

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Quote:

thanks for 2007 DA.

You mean for keeping us out of the playoffs for throwing 4 ints igainst the Bungals? Derek Anderson sucked, he always sucked, will always suck. He was lucky in the first half of 2007, not good.

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

No surprise here. They just traded for his replacement and now our backup Wallace. Plus he was due a large bonus.

Word is Wallace is the starter. Quinn is the back-up. The word is Quinn can't learn the new system being installed in such a short amount of time.....that and the Browns just aren't sure Quinn has what it takes.

Wallace has 6-7 years with this system

He was brought here to start.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Is that your word Peen? I'm not doubting that he might be the starter but I'll believe it when I see it. If he is then I don't think Quinn will be on the team and we will be drafting our future QB.

I just don't see Wallace as the long term answer.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
GOD.. I hope not.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Good luck D.A. 07 was fun while it lasted. I hope you can show nothing but your good game as a backup . . .

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
wallace will be a stopgap and we will get our guy in 2011 is my bet. that or we take someone in this draft and develop him while wallace plays. either way, i doubt it'll be quinn playing this year. whether or not he's on the roster is the question.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
I know that's what some of you believe. I just don't buy it. I think you guys think a little too much of Wallace. There is a reason they tried to move him to WR. It isn't because he was a great QB.

My guess is he was brought in to help whoever the starter is to learn the WCO and to provide a decent backup QB.

O
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
O
One of the statements made by MH in his question and answer periods with the media was how he thought BQ had an exceptionally good football mind. He futher stated that BQ picked up the no huddle offese in a few days practice. So that is in direct contrast to what Peen had to say about BQ, but then again he knows more about the QB postion than MH, just ask him !

Legend
Legend
Good luck Derek, I wish you well wherever you end up. I apperciate the effort you gave us.

#gmstrong
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I'm glad the browns didn't leave him hanging until the bonus was due. He hits the freeagency game relatively early on. He will get a few looks and be in a camp in August, i'm just glad its not a browns camp.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

One of the statements made by MH in his question and answer periods with the media was how he thought BQ had an exceptionally good football mind. He futher stated that BQ picked up the no huddle offese in a few days practice. So that is in direct contrast to what Peen had to say about BQ, but then again he knows more about the QB postion than MH, just ask him !

We will see how it plays.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
well, right now, both sides are speculation.

having watched quinn the past few years, i don't expect quinn to beat wallace out even if there were a comp. for me, it's not how much i think of wallace, it's how little i think of quinn. that being said, i have watched wallace play and he's an upgrade over what we saw last season. this was when the seahawks had no-name wrs too. well they had darrell jackson but he was rarely on the field.

that said, it sounds like you don't think it's a given that quinn is the starter. i agree that, if we make another move, it's possible wallace will be a backup but for now, with the roster how it is at this time, i'd assume wallace is the starter over quinn. i do agree, though, if we bring someone like mcnabb in, wallace may be the backup. my reply, and many others', is contingent that we aren't doing anything else at qb before the season starts.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
thinking the same. this gives him a good chance to go to the cards and possibly do well there. leinart doesn't look too good and who knows, DA/fitz/breaston/wells might be decent.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
good wrap-up:

Quote:

Derek Anderson had the big arm, the respect of his teammates, a dedicated work ethic and a down-to-earth attitude.

The 6-foot-6 quarterback is a sweatpants and flip-flops kind of guy who never met a subject he couldn't talk about.

But in his five years with the Browns, Anderson's mind was his own worst enemy.

He was unable to perform when the pressure was on, best illustrated by throwing four interceptions in a windy game at Cincinnati on Dec. 23, 2007, with the playoffs on the line.

Even last season, Browns coach Eric Mangini gave Anderson a chance to prove himself when he yanked starter Brady Quinn after 10 quarters. Anderson produced one victory in in five starts, that a 6-3 decision at Buffalo, before Mangini turned back to Quinn.

The Browns parted ways with Anderson on Tuesday, terminating his contract and making him a free agent.

On Monday, the Browns traded with the Seattle Seahawks for seven-year veteran quarterback Seneca Wallace, giving up an undisclosed draft pick in 2011. That move made Anderson expendable, especially since Anderson was due a $2 million roster bonus March 19 and carried a $7.45 million salary for 2010.

This would have been the final year of a three-year, $26 million contract Anderson signed in early 2008 that included $14.5 million guaranteed.

''I want to thank Derek for everything that he gave to the Cleveland Browns organization over the last five years,'' Mangini said in a statement. ''He did everything we asked of him and it was a pleasure to coach such a competitive person. I want to wish him all the best in the future.''

Even in an uncapped year, the Browns deemed Anderson too expensive, especially since he had been given three seasons to prove himself and shone in only one.

New Browns president Mike Holmgren is considered a quarterback guru after working with current or future Hall of Famers Joe Montana, Steve Young and Brett Favre.

In the past four years, Anderson went 16-18 as a starter, 10-5 in his Pro Bowl season of 2007. For his career, he has thrown 46 touchdown passes with 45 interceptions and completed 52.9 percent. His career passer rating is 69.7. That number has never been higher than the 60s except for '07's 82.5.

Anderson's confidence took a beating with the Browns as he played for coach Romeo Crennel and Mangini. Crennel stuck with Anderson as long as he could in 2008, despite Anderson's 3-6 record, and the season ended with the firings of Crennel and General Manager Phil Savage.

Mangini dragged out his decision on a starter until the week of the 2009 season opener, and Anderson lost out to Quinn, at least temporarily. But when Anderson got back under center, he couldn't capitalize. In 51/2 games, he threw two touchdown passes and nine interceptions, with a rating of 36.2. A four-game stretch, which included the victory at Buffalo, was even worse, with a 25.1 rating.

Anderson got back into the lineup for the final two games last season when Quinn suffered a foot sprain at Kansas City on Dec. 20. Anderson led the Browns to two victories as the team concluded with a four-game winning streak.

Because Quinn was drafted in 2007, the year Anderson became the Browns' starter, Anderson was never a fan favorite. That was most evident when Anderson tore the medial collateral ligament in his left knee in a Dec. 1 home game against Indianapolis in 2008. A few fans cheered as he was helped off the field, upsetting Anderson and his teammates.

''That's no class at all,'' former defensive lineman Shaun Smith said.

When Anderson left the locker room that day, he said to a friend, ''Maybe I'll see you in another lifetime,'' presuming his Browns career was over.

He finished the 2008 season with a 66.5 rating, throwing nine touchdown passes and eight interceptions in 10 games.

A co-captain, he had returned to training camp in great shape and still displaying his 2007 Pro Bowl form and his chemistry with receiver Braylon Edwards. But after suffering a concussion in a preseason game against the New York Giants, Anderson seemed to lose his confidence. While he still boasted a strong arm, if he didn't complete a long pass to Edwards in the first quarter he seemed to lose his moxie and it took him half the game to recover. Yet Crennel stuck with Anderson through the first eight games, despite the clamoring for Quinn, and Anderson went 3-5.

He finished the season 3-6, giving him a 13-14 record with the Browns.

In four seasons of Browns action, Anderson turned in four 300-yard games, including a 310-yard, two-touchdown effort in a 35-14 upset of the Giants in 2008 on Monday Night Football.

Picked up off waivers by Savage in 2005 when the Baltimore Ravens were trying to sneak him onto their practice squad, Anderson got his chance in 2007 when starter Charlie Frye was traded to the Seahawks after a season-opening loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Responding to the opportunity, Anderson went 10-5 as a starter, throwing for 3,787 yards and 29 touchdowns, one shy of Brian Sipe's franchise mark set in Sipe's NFL MVP season. But the 10-6 Browns fell one game shy of the playoffs as Anderson was picked off four times in a 19-14 loss at Cincinnati.

Two interceptions came on back-to-back passes in the second quarter. Those misplaced throws to running back Jason Wright and Edwards led to 13 points as the Bengals went ahead 19-0.

''Right there, that won them the game,'' Anderson said. ''One was a bad decision and one was a missed communication.''

http://www.ohio.com/sports/browns/87142877.html

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
I would just like to reiterate my distaste for Anderception again. Easily one of my least favorite browns ever.

Ranks right up there with:
1. Trent Dilfer
2. Joe Andruzzi
3. Jamal Lewis
4. DA
5. Mo Carthon
6. David Veikune
7. Jeff Faine
8. Toast
9. BE
10. Shaun Smith

Legend
Legend
NOWAY,, THEY DIDN"T REALLY DO THAT/..

I'm in total shock

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
I can agree with most of what you said. The other option and a very good one is the MH may just give Quinn the same opporutunity to save his job that he has given Mangini. One year under his watch to evaluate him and see what he can do.

I don't know if that's the case or not but I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen. I think if Quinn isn't traded that is the way it will go. He may lose the job at some point to Wallace but I think if he is here to start the season then he will be the starter.

Legend
Legend
What's wrong with Joe Andruzzi other than we got him at the end of his career..

Remember also, the guy has/had cancer.. wonder how that's going..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
My dislike of him stemed directly from his play on the field. I have never seen a worse starting OG in my life. He was 10x worse than even St. Clair. One of my favorite jokes is to do a joe andruzzi impression. Basically you grab anything near you, stand it up right, then flop it over on its back as quick as you can.

I do hope he's doing well but my god was he an awful football player.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
what's the point of disliking a player? you can be frustrated he's there but to dislike someone for their play? for the most part, they're giving their all. it's not their fault they were in place if there was superior talent available. that falls on the FO. sounds petty and childish to me.

Legend
Legend
We saw it coming. Glad he had some success. I wish him well in the future if he can be coached up further.
I wonder about the BQ. Holmgren said you need to play to develop, and it was many more games than BQ has. If the Seneca as starter plays out, BQ gets some time, one season, to develop radically. This is a great weakness; I do NOT care who wins us games. Just get a leader and go for it. Good luck to all the folks involved.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
C
Legend
Legend
C
Word from who? You? Grossi?

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
j/c

most of this article is rehash except for the following:

Quote:

Anderson wanted out of Cleveland and did not even visit with Mike Holmgren in the six weeks he had been on the job as president. Holmgren released Anderson less than 24 hours after trading for Seattle backup Seneca Wallace.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2010/03/tony_grossis_blog_released_cle.html

T
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
T
so that makes the depth chart

Starter- Seneca Wallace
Backup- Brett Ratliff
Third String- Josh Cribbs
Wildcat- Josh Cribbs
Fourth String- Brady Quinn

[Linked Image from img72.imageshack.us]
C
Legend
Legend
C
Why would Anderson meet with Holmgren? It was clear he wasn't in the plans. Holmgren would only want to meet with him to try and restructure his deal, making him easier to trade.

If Anderson gets released (like he has) then gets to choose a team that better fits his abilities and/or desire to start.

Legend
Legend
Good Luck Mr. Anderson, Thanks for a great 2007 season.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
i think the point is, if he had any desier to stay, he would've met with MH to at least talk in general. the article was showing that he clearly had no interest in staying, which is fair.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Quote:

so that makes the depth chart

Starter- Seneca Wallace
Backup- Brett Ratliff
Third String- Josh Cribbs
Wildcat- Josh Cribbs
Fourth String- Brady Quinn

I highly doubt this...

Legend
Legend
Good luck Anderson. Hope you do well elsewhere, unless its against us..

I think he goes to either Arizona or Carolina.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Quote:

what's the point of disliking a player? you can be frustrated he's there but to dislike someone for their play? for the most part, they're giving their all. it's not their fault they were in place if there was superior talent available. that falls on the FO. sounds petty and childish to me.

The point of disliking him is that he sucked and held the team back. He was awful. As far as the FO's fault, anybody would have been better than him, even Issac Sowells. Perhaps it was RAC's fault I dont know, either way he was terrible and I disliked him because he almost singlehandedly ruined any offense wwe could have had while he was a brown.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Quote:

Quote:

The point of disliking him is that he sucked and held the team back. He was awful. As far as the FO's fault, anybody would have been better than him, even Issac Sowells. Perhaps it was RAC's fault I dont know, either way he was terrible and I disliked him because he almost singlehandedly ruined any offense wwe could have had while he was a brown.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Anderception (Derek Anderson) Released!

Link Copied to Clipboard