Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

What if Jake Delhomme plays reasonably well

i'll stop you right there. if he does win the starting job and play reasonably well, then you start him another year.

I hope that is the scenario we are 'stuck' with....I will also accept Seneca Wallace playing reasonably well

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'll give you a what if scenario.

What if Jake Delhomme plays reasonably well for (we go 7-9, 8-8, 9-7)? We are now drafting in the middle of the 1st round in 2011 and the three top QB's are all gone by the time our pick rolls around (Mallet, Locker, Ponder I'm assuming).

Now we have a 36 year old starting QB with a 31 year old backup. With no top QB prospects in our grasps.

I agree that next year's QB's look pretty good, but I don't think the plan should be, "The QB's next year will be better, we should wait." The plan should be get a player now that we like so we don't have to worry about it next off-season as well.

Being that Holmgren has never drafted a QB higher than the 3rd round, and Heckert found Kolb in the 2nd... I'd say that we'll be Ok.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

Hasslebeck and Favre.

I'm late getting back,and would have left this alone had you just agreed with Davy,but,nooo.
Check this out,the Hasselbeck deal;

Joined the Seahawks March 2, 2001, via a trade with Green Bay. Seattle received Hasselbeck and the Packers’ 2001 first-round draft choice (17th overall-Steve Hutchinson) in exchange for Seattle’s 10th
selection in the first round and a third-round choice.

Swapped 1st rounders and gave up a 3rd.
Hardly what I would call using an early round pick on a QB.
The Favre deal,yeah newly hired HC Holmgren was in the room,but so was the guy handling the phones and the guy taking care of the buffett table.That was all Ron Wolfe.
There's no shame in admitting a mistake,I do it all the time.But then ,I really don't a crap what people think of me.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Id rather have Bradford then clausen.....but dont want to miss on Eric Berry!

My thoughts exactly. Bradford won't be there at 7.....I think Bradford is the only guy worth drafting in round 1 IMO. If he starts to fall, I really don't want to give up the world to move up much. One or 2 spots, no more. We need talent in other areas and have the opportunity to fill some holes.

But if Berry is there......hell yeah! To give a way over-used cliche- WE GOTTA GET THIS GUY! I think the guy is a sure fire thing in the NFL. Besides, there's a group of us dying to get his jersey because of an inside joke from our teenage years.

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
Legend
Legend
Now that Quinn is gone -- and not that he was The Savior --we have to take a QB,...

Just suppose,...SUPPOSE,....Bradford AND Berry are "there,...."

THEN what ??

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Quote:

Now that Quinn is gone -- and not that he was The Savior --we have to take a QB,...

Just suppose,...SUPPOSE,....Bradford AND Berry are "there,...."

THEN what ??

Bradford. Deep can correct me, but I've heard the guy is really coachable and is a good team mate. He'd be willing to sit back and learn.

We're trying to throw the ball downfield and he checked the ball down to Trent Richardson and the Indians on the choice.
Legend
Legend
Bradford is probably the most accurate QB coming out this year..

if he is not a Brown.. the rest of the QB's won't make it here in Cleveland. We need the absolute best.

Tebow is a gimmick.
McCoy will falter.
Lefevour is Tebow #2.
I could go on...

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
My personal preference......

Eric Berry.

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

What if Jake Delhomme plays reasonably well for (we go 7-9, 8-8, 9-7)? We are now drafting in the middle of the 1st round in 2011 and the three top QB's are all gone by the time our pick rolls around (Mallet, Locker, Ponder I'm assuming).

Now we have a 36 year old starting QB with a 31 year old backup. With no top QB prospects in our grasps.

I agree that next year's QB's look pretty good, but I don't think the plan should be, "The QB's next year will be better, we should wait." The plan should be get a player now that we like so we don't have to worry about it next off-season as well.

I don't think Mallet would be a great fit with the WCO. Ponder probably would be. and I'm not sure on Locker - he needs to work on his accuracy imho.

I think it'll be a very deep QB class, regardless of underclassmen that decide to come out. In addition to the guys you already mentioned, both Jerrod Johnson from Texas A&M and Case Keenum from Houston are potential 1st or 2nd rounders too. And Pat Devlin from Delaware is intriguing too - will be interesting to see how he does next year in his 2nd full season after transferring from PSU.

Of all of these guys, Ponder and Keenum are the two that intrigue me the most, and both are likely middle first to early second rounders at this point.

edit: I forgot Andrew Luck from Stanford on here - with another good season he may also end up going in the first two rounds.

Legend
Legend
Didn't Mallet go to Michigan for a while,...

Let me ask Braylon,...

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Yep same guy.

Legend
Legend
Well, then he CAN'T come here and succeed,...

Legend
Legend
Berry all the way, without thinking twice about it.

Browns is the Browns

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

LeFevour. Although he doesn't seem like he is very accurate either.

Jeven Snead? Zac Robinson?

I really have no clue. It does seem like Holmgren has a plan for the QB position though.

I agree, it does seem like MH has a plan for the QB position... which is why I do NOT think he has a pecking order of QBs and when he will take them. I think he has his eye on one... maybe two... QBs in the draft that he wants and he knows where he wants to take them and if they are gone, he will pass on a QB this year. I do not see him saying, well Bradford is gone, what about Clausen in the second? Well Clausen is gone, what about LeFevour? Well LeFevour is gone, what about... I don't think that's going to happen. He has his top 1 or 2 and he isn't going to take anybody else, no matter how far they drop.. that's JMHO.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=170586

Stats are for losers, but I don't see how you can say that Lefevor is not accurate.

Watch the senior bowl replay on NFL Network.

My guess, third round to the Browns, depending on the redskins and rams.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

It's called...

If U Don't Have a Franchise QB, U Don't Pass On One...

It's an unwritten rule and exactly why St Louis WILL take Bradford...

Go Browns!!!
A
1st String
1st String
A
Quote:

LeFevour. Although he doesn't seem like he is very accurate either.

Jeven Snead? Zac Robinson?

I really have no clue. It does seem like Holmgren has a plan for the QB position though.

LeFevours accuracy is what made scouts drool at the senior bowl, He was dead on.

Legend
Legend
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that we don't draft a QB til the last day of the draft..

We have a starter in Delhomme.. We have a backup in Seneca Wallace... Why draft a QB high in the draft? There is no need. Mike wanted a QB that could come in and solidify the position by himself... Delhomme was horrible last year, but don't get it twisted. He can make plays.

Holmgren is looking for his next Favre/ Hasselback.. Someone no one is talking about...

I've been looking at QB's.. and I'm gonna say we draft Rusty Smith out of Florida Atlantic. He's 6'5.. 230 lbs.. A mature age of 23... and he is able to move out of the pocket with his feet running around a 4.8.

That is the guy I'm going with. Look out for him. He can be groomed.. Can sit and learn a few things from his coaches, and when the time is right, can fight for an opportunity to show his talent on the field.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
if I was a Browns GM, at this point, I would be hesitant to draft a QB in ANY round. At least until an OL and solid defense is in place.

What if the current FO sees Jake,Seneca and Ratliff as adequate, provided of course, there is adequate support around them?

Where is it written that they are required to draft a QB?

Legend
Legend
I would say that if we grab a QB, we won't reach for it. If one that fits what Holmgren wants comes to us, we take him.

I would also say that you could probably stop looking at things like height, weight, and 40 times for a QB; start looking at who was the most accurate passer, best decision maker, etc... Height/weight and such will be considered, but they will be secondary at best.

Browns is the Browns

C
All Pro
All Pro
C
Quote:

Yeah, once the world ends we won't have to worry about crappy QB's anymore. Right?

Does this have anything to do with hell freezing over? I have heard we might have a winner then.

C
1st String
1st String
C
great take....

having experience in SW and JD allows us some time to really develop a guy. with no rush to throw the guy in, we need a good fit and ability, not to reach in another "win now" scenario. we're finally able to take BPA with some firepower to allow some movement in teh draft to get our guys.

pretty exciting considering a past of trading away entire drafts to get a few players.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I tend to agree..if they think SB is a fanchise QB..I happen to like him better than Clausen..
For the Browns it will be like I pictured..a developmental QB in the late rounds.

T
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

Quote:

It's called...

If the Rams are really dumb enough to pass on Suh, I'd imagine that we will do everything in our power to move up to take Suh. At least I hope so.

you had a good run Hank.
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Quote:

If the Rams are really dumb enough to pass on Suh, I'd imagine that we will do everything in our power to move up to take Suh. At least I hope so.

A lot of people would argue that if you dont have a franchise QB, you dont pass one up in the draft. If they think Bradford is a franchise QB, I dont blame them one bit for drafting him instead of Suh.

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
C
Legend
Legend
C
Why move up and draft a player that might not even fit on our defense?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

It's very possible this is the plan,...whether he will fit or not, is beyond my pay grade.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Quote:

It's called...

Considering the Rams have had the chance to get two franchise QB's in Ryan and Sanchez, passed, and apparently blew it, it'd be damned-hard for them to risk making that mistake for a third consecutive time.

Of course the Rams have to play the game the right way by not giving away their hand, just in case a guy like Holmgren offers some 5 picks and/or players for the right to pay $70 million for Bradford.

And on that note, I'm hoping we do it.

So............to answer the question in the title, for me, it's Bradford or bust. I don't believe Clausen is nearly as impressive as Bradford. I like Clausen more than I did Quinn coming out, but I still think he's a marginal 1st rounder, not a top-10 pick. If we dropped back to the ass-end of round 1, then I'd consider Clausen, but if we don't, I'd want to move up to get Bradford.

As for the rest of these developmental QB's.................No thanks.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Legend
Legend
I say we let Holmgren work his QB magic this year and see what happens,...

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Understandable... but what if you don't really like any of the players available now... or if you do like, say Bradford and ONLY Bradford, trading up to get him is EXTREMELY expensive. So do you use the 2nd round pick to take a LB that you really love or a QB that you sort of like?

If we are 8-8 and drafting in the middle of the pack and in dire need of a QB, after all of the turnover we've had and all of the rookies we are going to be counting on..... then that would mean that the rest of the roster is looking pretty good.. so next year I might be inclined to take the hit to move from 18 to 10 to get one of those big 3 QBs..

yebat' Putin
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

That'd be no fun, so no, I won't do that.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

That'd be no fun, so no, I won't do that.

If he does work magic, then it will be fun,....

Legend
Legend

Toad:

Just curious, I don't watch much college ball, a little here and there. I think you live in Texas?

I have looked at some film on McCoy recently. My thinking is Bradford will be gone and Clausen is questionable. What I saw of McCoy is a guy who may fit well in a WCO and should be available with our second round pick.

What is your take on McCoy?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Not to speak for Toad (actually it is) but we are both in agreement here, so I may as well say our thoughts. He lacks an NFL arm and may get beat up quite a bit with his size.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Not to speak for Toad (actually it is) but we are both in agreement here, so I may as well say our thoughts. He lacks an NFL arm and may get beat up quite a bit with his size.

Can I get a big-eared-Ernest-Angley-style "Ayyy-meyun."

I'm not as worried about his size though. More than that, he lacks a lot of useful NFL-applicable experience. He played in a spread offense against terrible defenses and wouldn't have been on he national radar if he A) didn't play at Texas or B) didn't have Jordan Shipley to bail him out on every 3rd down.

Legend
Legend
Then we gotta get Shipley, too,...

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
If we are picking a QB lets do it early and NOT get a bigger project than we will already have. I'll trade HALF our picks for the future franchise QB of the Browns. So we have failed and wasted some high picks in the past.. SO WHAT. We also passed on a BUNCH of QB's that I would LOVE to have here. Picking a QB high isn't the problem.

The problem is most of the people on this board could draft BETTER than the idiots in the Browns front office have over the last decade.

"Just gotta Coach em up" , "I thought they Battled" , " I need to watch the tape"
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Then we gotta get Shipley, too,...

I'd like very much to have Shipley on the team.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Don't be surprised to see us take a late round QB every year. Even after we have a starter. I remember the Packers doing just that when MH was there. He also eluded to that very thing during his last Presser.

They would groom guys like Hasselbeck and Aaron Brooks then trade them to other teams.

I think a guy on our radar is Dan LeFevour QB-Central Michigan. From what I have seen he is a very accurate passer.

C
All Pro
All Pro
C
If the Browns are fortunate enough to land Bradford would any of you play him the first year or patiently watch him hold a clipboard?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Don't be surprised to see us take a late round QB every year. Even after we have a starter. I remember the Packers doing just that when MH was there. He also eluded to that very thing during his last Presser.

They would groom guys like Hasselbeck and Aaron Brooks then trade them to other teams.

I think a guy on our radar is Dan LeFevour QB-Central Michigan. From what I have seen he is a very accurate passer.

I only saw the game vs. Troy and he actually looked pretty bad... Maybe it wasn't representative of his ability.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Should it be Bradford/Clausen or bust for the Browns?

Link Copied to Clipboard