Print Thread
#477010 03/22/10 05:12 PM
D
Davy Offline OP
2nd String
OP Offline
2nd String
D
I know that some compensatory picks have been posted in other threads, but it seems something this important should have its own thread to easily locate and discuss.

Also, I know this is a blog, but it is very informative and is from a major website. Enjoy.

First look at 2010 compensatory draft picks
Posted on: September 12, 2009 6:43 pm
http://torgo.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/10525021/17121511

The Atlanta Falcons gave up their 2010 seventh round draft pick to the Rams for Tye Hill. They had earlier given up their second round pick to the Chiefs for Tony Gonzalez.

But in addition to the regular seven draft picks per team, the league also awards 32 compensatory draft picks to offset player losses due to free agency. The league has a proprietary (translation: secret) formula it uses to determine which free agents count and in what rounds the resulting compensatory draft picks will fall.

Some keys: not every player counts. The secret formula includes factors such as salary, playing time, postseason results and other awards/honors - with both the old and new teams. Reverse engineering of the formula has found that by far the biggest factor is the salary received with the new team.

Also, only players that are true unrestricted free agents and who sign with their new team during the unrestricted free agency period count. The signing period typically starts March 1 and runs through July, subject to minor calendar-related adjustments. (This year's period opened on Feb 27 and ended July 27.)

Players who were released by their former clubs do not count. Players who sign after June 1 that were not tendered offers by their former clubs also do not count.

Compensatory picks are based on NET loss of free agents. If you lose four players that count to other teams but sign three, you have a net loss of one compensatory free agent. You would typically expect to receive one compensatory pick.

No matter how many players you lose, you can receive at most four compensatory picks.

The formula places values on the players as well as counting them. It's possible to get an extra pick if you sign the same number of guys as you lose - if the value of the guys you lose is much greater than the value of the ones you sign. But the picks awarded this way will only be late seventh rounders.

Also note that there are always 32 and only 32 picks awarded. If the formula determines that more than 32 are deserved, only the highest ranking 32 will be awarded. If the formula comes up short, the remaining picks will be given to the teams that would be selecting first if there were an eighth round of the draft. (That happened this year - and the Raiders and Chiefs got the final two picks of the draft as a result.)

It can get a little fuzzy as to which free agents count and which don't, and in what rounds the resulting picks will fall. The key factor appears to be the salary with the new team. Best guess = guys with salaries below $800k will not count at all. Guys above $900k probably will. For the ones right in that $800-900k territory, playing time will decide it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here are the Falcons players, both coming and going, and how they might affect the Falcons draft in 2010:

Mike Peterson - reportedly signed for 2 years, $6.6 million. He counts as a player signed by Atlanta and will have a value around the 6th round.

Grady Jackson - reportedly signed a 3 year deal with the Lions for $8 million. (Congratulations to the big man. Falcons fans wanted him back, but we can understand our team not competing with that kind of offer.) Best guess is he'll count as a seventh rounder, but he may be on the borderline of the 6th round..

Lawyer Milloy - will not count. He signed with the Seahawks far too late. (The idea is that these extra picks offset your losses in free agency. If you don't even bother to tender him an offer, you didn't really lose him. You threw him away.)

Brett Romberg - apparently signed a two year deal at an average of $800k per year. The salary should be too low to count, and even if it's close, he's not a starter. Unless someone gets hurt, he won't play enough snaps to count at all.

Verron Haynes - was out of the league last year. Does not count.

Will Svitek - was released by the Chiefs last year. Does not count.

Domonique Foxworth - signed a 4 year, $27 million deal with the Ravens. My best guess is that he'll count as a 4th rounder, but there's a possibility he'll end up counting for a 3rd round pick.

Keith Brooking - signed a 3 year, $6 million deal with the Cowboys. I think the borderline between 6th and 7th round picks will be around $2.5 million per year, so I suspect Brooking will count as a 7th rounder.

Michael Boley - signed a 5 year, 25 million deal with the Giants. He'll be right around the borderline between a 4th and 5th. I'll be optimistic and say a 4th, but playing time could drop him to the 5th - so root for him to start every game after this week and play nearly every snap.

Jeremy Newberry - signed June 15, then retired. I'm 99% certain he doesn't count.

Marty Booker - signed in August. Does not count. (Ditto for Robert Ferguson and Jamie Winborn.)

I see four players who left Atlanta that will count and only one incoming player. The Mike Peterson signing will offset the Grady Jackson loss, leaving Atlanta three compensatory picks: a fourth rounder, a second fourth rounder or fifth rounder, and a seventh rounder.

We'll still feel the impact of losing the 2nd rounder in the Tony Gonzalez trade, but with potentially two extra picks coming at the end of round four, the Falcons still have the freedom to trade their own 5th and/or 6th round picks for extra help if needed.

Davy #477011 03/22/10 05:29 PM
Legend
Legend
Compensatory picks revealed
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 22, 2010 5:10 PM ET

The Cincinnati Bengals were the big winners of the compensatory picks revealed today by ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Cincinnati will pick up the only third-round compensatory pick (No. 96) and a fourth-round pick (No. 131) to boot. T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Stacy Andrews, and Eric Ghiaciuc were among the players to leave the Bengals last offseason.

Tennessee and Atlanta also got picks in the third round.
Here is the full list of compensatory picks awarded according to Schefter, with the overall pick next to each:

Round 3

Cincinnati -- 96
Tennessee -- 97
Atlanta -- 98

Round 4

Cincinnati -- 131

Round 5

Pittsburgh -- 164
Atlanta -- 165
Pittsburgh -- 166
Minnesota -- 167
San Diego -- 168
Green Bay -- 169

Round 6
Carolina -- 202
Jacksonville -- 203
Carolina -- 204
New England -- 205
San Francisco -- 206
Tennessee -- 207

Round 7

Indianapolis -- 240
Tennessee -- 241
Pittsburgh -- 242
Philadelphia -- 243
Philadelphia -- 244
Seattle -- 245
Indianapolis -- 246
New England -- 247
New England -- 248
Carolina -- 249
New England -- 250
Oakland -- 251
Miami -- 252
Tampa Bay -- 253
St. Louis -- 254
Detroit -- 255

web page

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
B
All Pro
All Pro
B

No real surprises. I knew we weren't going to get any based on the salaries and/or playing time last years FA's got.

Cincy getting two in rounds 3 and 4 I don't like, but oh well they will hopefully waste them, lol.

We have our compesatory picks from all the trades we have made.

Statistics are like a bikini; what they show is interesting, but what they hide is vital.
Drive for show (1st round), Putt for dough (rest of draft).
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Cincy getting two in rounds 3 and 4 I don't like, but oh well they will hopefully waste them, lol.

If there is a criminal in those rounds, you can be sure, the Bengals will find and draft them

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
B
All Pro
All Pro
B

So not having seen anything official on the exact draft order, including the newly released comp picks, here is what I believe will be our selections:

1-7
2-38
3-69
3-85
4-105
5-134
5-137
5-146
5-160
6-177
6-186

Statistics are like a bikini; what they show is interesting, but what they hide is vital.
Drive for show (1st round), Putt for dough (rest of draft).
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
you forgot pick

3-71

nordawg

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

#gmstrong
Davy #477016 03/23/10 08:19 AM
W
2nd String
2nd String
W
Quote:

you can receive at most four compensatory picks

The New England Patriots get 4 Every Year!!! They have a winning formula of letting go of over-priced FAs at just the right time & getting young cheap players. We, on the other hand, never have anybody Worth letting go! LOL JMHO Go Brownies!!!

Who Let Da Dawgs Out? Woof, Woof, Woof!!!!!
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

the other hand, never have anybody Worth letting go!

Actually, we have a ton of players worth letting go. It's just that they're also not worth anything to anyone else.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
L
Legend
Legend
L
lol. by the way is Matt Roth a done deal? Is he in for 2010?

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

If there is a criminal in those rounds, you can be sure, the Bengals will find and draft them

They could fire up a Blount w/ that pick!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He was tendered at the 2nd round level, but I don't believe he has signed the tender yet.

C
Legend
Legend
C
The only guy that has signed his tender is Trusnik.

Davy #477022 03/30/10 01:25 PM
T
Legend
Legend
T
I may not understand all there is about compensatory picks, but I understand the Patriots seem to get a boatload every year, and the Browns do not get any!

Sadly I bet many in the overall league are pleased with that, and hope it continues.
Only in Cleveland.

Whatcha want to bet the first team to benefit from the new overtime rule is a Cleveland opponent? Well after it expands out of the playoffs only.
nfl. .. emotes are cool

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Compensatory picks are given to teams that lost more free agents than they signed. Also teams that gain and lose the same number of players but lose higher-valued players than they gain also can be awarded a pick, but only in the seventh round, after the other compensatory picks.

If I remember correctly we signed a boatload of free agents last year.

Legend
Legend
When good players leave for a new team, the old team will get compensatory picks. We don't have many good players. Of the few that might have given us compensatory picks (BE and Winslow), we traded them before they left.

There is no conspiracy against compensatory picks and the Cleveland football organization. As well as the owners picking a new OT playoff rule.

I can type anything in this post.....but those that believe in conspiracies will only turn it around to mean the first thing that pops into their head (that bigfoot is actually a Steeler fan, he shot JFK from the grassy knoll for a favor from the MLB, which made the make Mesa blow Game 7, which in turn caused Area 51 to....it never ends).

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
C
Legend
Legend
C
Also, if there was some sort of negative conspiracy against the Browns then how come we have had opening week home games since 1999?

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Also, if there was some sort of negative conspiracy against the Browns then how come we have had opening week home games since 1999?

because we keep losing those games

#gmstrong
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Compensatory Picks

Link Copied to Clipboard