Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Davy Offline OP
2nd String
OP Offline
2nd String
D
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/Reid_says_teams_are_calling_about_QBs.html

Andy Reid ended the we’re-happy-holding-on-to-our-three-quarterbacks charade this morning and acknowledged that the Eagles are listening to offers for Donovan McNabb, Kevin Kolb and Michael Vick.

``I’m listening (to offers) out there,’’ Reid said at the NFC coaches media breakfast. ``I’m not saying I’m doing anything. But we’re keeping our ears open.’’

While he said he can still see going into next season with McNabb, Kolb and Vick still all on the team, it was clear that’s not his intention and that there’s little chance of that happening.

``We’re evaluating, taking in the situation right now,’’ Reid said. ``I don’t worry about (what other people are saying). It’s an evaluation process right now.

``We’re kind of gathering everything up and we’ll take it back to Philadelphia and see where we’re at.’’

More from Reid:

On your quarterback situation and your insistence that you’d be happy keeping all three around next season:

We think we have a great situation. That’s where we’re at. That doesn’t mean we’re not entertaining calls of anything. But right now, we feel very good about our quarterback situation. Very fortunate really.

Have some of the offers piqued your interest?:

We’ll go back and look through those and think through them a little bit, away from this situation here. There’s (no offer) right now that I’d jump up and down about. But there has been some interest.

On Mike Bell:

He gives you a big, powerful running back. He enjoys playing the game. I had a chance to talk to Sean Payton about him. Sean liked him. Respected his ability. He’s 26 years old, so his best years are ahead of him. We’ll just see. We’ll see how things go.

On Bell's pass-catching ability and blocking ability:

I thought he improved (as a pass-catcher). I think that became more important to him when he went to New Orleans. I pulled out every route. I pulled out every (blocking) protection he had at both places (Denver and New Orleans). You could see progress as it went on. Became a decent pass-protector.

On how he’s not a running back like Westbrook, though, that you can move all around the formation and split wide:

That’s not the way I look at him. I look at him more as an in-the-backfield player. I don’t think you need to flex him out and do a lot of things with him, though I think he can catch it well enough on the different routes we do. But for the most part, you keep him in the backfield.

As far as the age part on Bell:

I like the age part. I like the things that he brings. Brings a little different flavor to the backfield that we haven’t had in a couple of years. I consider him similar to what Correll (Buckhalter) did for us, as far as his skill-sets go.

How does Bell’s acquisition affect running back as a draft priority?:

We’re not going to force anything. If there’s somebody there we like, we’ll look at him. It was a position we needed to bring in another player in. We think we brought a good one in. So you’re not going to sit there and force somebody into that spot.

Where is this team right now?:

Back in Philadelphia.

No, seriously. Last year at this time, you said you had a team that was capable of competing for a championship. Are you capable of that right now?

We’re getting better. Again, we’re not done. Things could still happen. We’ll see how it goes into that first minicamp after the draft and into OTAs.

On Sheldon Brown’s situation:

The nice thing with Sheldon is he’s still under contract and been able to make a living. We’ll just take it from there. We’ll see what happens over time.

Have you gotten inquiries about Brown?:

We’ve gotten a few, yeah.

On your decision to release Shawn Andrews now. Wasn’t due a roster bonus. Did you send anybody out there to check on him before you released him?:

We stayed in communication with him. He said he did want to play. This will give him an opportunity to hook on with somebody and get a fresh start somewhere. We’ll see how that works.

Do you think he ever will play again?:

He says he will.

Your offensive line. Your center’s recovering from ACL surgery. Your right guard didn’t give you squat last year. Your right tackle was up and down. Your left tackle, Jason Peters, was up and down. What are your thoughts on your line right now?:

The people you mentioned, one’s a first-year starter (Winston Justice). The other ones were new to our program. So I think they know what to expect now. They’ll be more consistent than they were last year. And as up and down as maybe we think Jason was, he was still the best left tackle in the NFC. His peers felt that way. And he can get better. That’s a great thing for him and for us.

On Howie Roseman replacing Tom Heckert as your GM:

It wasn’t a drastic thing. Because Howie was working with Tom last year. They had a great working relationship. Things were smooth. The biggest thing here is it gave both of them an opportunity. It gave Tom an opportunity to go somewhere and have final say on things, which he had been looking for over the last few years. He’s working for one of my better friends. Howie, this allows him to take that next step up. He’s doing a heck of a job. He’s brought good energy to the program and has surrounded himself with good people. I’m expecting good things from him.

With Darren Howard gone, who will replace him as your inside nickel pass rusher?:

You have (Trevor) Laws there. He’s got to step up from what he did last year. We brought him in with that in mind, being an inside pass-rusher. And we’ll just keep our eyes open as we go. Mike Patterson was a good inside rusher at one point. I think he can continue to do that.

How about Tapp?:

He did it a little bit. But he’s mainly an outside guy.

Two years ago, you had one of the best defenses in the league. Last year, not so much. How much of it was injuries? How much was players underperforming? How much of it was having a first-year defensive coordinator?:

It was a unique situation. Coming into last season at this time, Jim (Johnson) wasn’t feeling very well. You weren’t sure whether he’s was going to make it through to the season or not. That’s no excuse. We were banged up a little bit. That probably was the main factor. Sean (McDermott), even though he got a late start on things, I thought he handled that whole situation about as smooth as you could handle it. I thought Sean did a nice job of rallying the troops and keeping that thing together.

Stewart Bradley’s progress from his ACL injury:

He was ready to roll at the end of the season. At least in his mind he was. He’s good.

Are your quarterbacks on the market?:

I wouldn’t say they’re on the market. I’d say I’m listening (to offers). I’m not saying I’m doing anything. I’m keeping my ears open. Which we do on every player. This is no different.

Has anything changed since end of season when you said you expected McNabb to be your starting quarterback in ’10?

I can say it again. Donovan is our No. 1 quarterback and Kevin is our No. 2 quarterback and Michael is our No. 3 quarterback. That’s how I feel.

Ccan you say right here, right now, that Donovan won’t be traded?

Donovan is our starter, our starting quarterback.

Today?:

Today he is our starting quarterback, yes.

So you’re saying you can see all three being back?:

I do. I can see that happening. That’s a pretty good situation for a coach.

Has there been varied interest or equal interest in all three of them or what?

There actually is (interest in all 3).

On adding two veteran coaches in Bobby April and Dick Jauron:

I’ve always looked at Bobby as one of the top special teams coaches in the league. We had that with John Harbaugh, and I feel we have that again with Bobby. His track record sure is impressive. He brings great energy into the office. I’m sure it will be the same way when we get out on the field. Dick and I were together in Green Bay. We developed a friendship there and I have great respect for him. He brings a lot of knowledge to the table and and an understanding of the defensive back position. He’s coached it. He’s played it. So I welcome that into the mix there.

Any reluctance about bringing in a guy with as much experience as Dick has – a head coach in three different places – and making him a position coach under a young defensive coordinator like McDermott?:

I’m not trying to help Sean. Well, I guess I am. But not for lack of him being a good football coach. I’m not asking Dick to coordinate the defense. That’s Sean’s defense. But I will always try to bring in the best coaches I can bring in. If you know Dick Jauron, he knows the dynamics of the staff. He’s not going to step on people’s toes or go behind people’s backs. That’s not what he’s about. He’s there to make us better and that’s what he’ll do.

Sean clearly was exasperated after the Cowboys’ playoff loss with Asante Samuel and his refusal to play press coverage and his penchant for freelancing and his unwillingness to tackle people even when teams were attacking him with wide-receiver screens. Does that have to change? Are you worried teams are going to keep going after him with screens if he doesn’t change the way he plays?

I think Asante knows he needs to have a better year than what he had, even though it was a pro bowl year. As good a football player as he is, he can be even better. And I think that’s the way he’s handling the offseason. He started hitting the weights and doing the things he needs to do to add a little more strength.

How much can you count on Marlin Jackson considering the fact that he’s coming off his second ACL injury in as many years? Are you confident he can be your starting free safety this season?

As long as he’s healthy, yeah. Right now he’s not. He’s working to get himself back to where he can play. He’s wired the right way to get that accomplished. We’ll keep our eyes open (for other safeties and corners) throughout the rest of free agency and the draft.

Jamaal Jackson’s status, post-ACL surgery?

For the season, I think he’ll be OK. For the offseason, I’m not expecting much. Or training camp. I think we’ll get him (back) in the beginning of the year, the beginning of the season. Don’t think he’ll be in any preseason games.

Would you miss him if he’s not out there for the start of the season?:

It looked that way in the last Dallas game.

With 14 teams in the league now playing a 3-4, with 2 of your 3 NFC East opponents playing a 3-4, concerned about going with a center who’s coming off an ACL?:

You’re going to find out what kind of surgery he had. Very seldom do you see those guys (be as good as new right away). But we’ll see. We’ll see how he does.

Your thoughts on Jeremy Maclin and his rookie season:

He was the first one back this offseason. It was neat to watch him compete last year. He’s a very intelligent kid. Came from a completely different offense (than eagles run). DeSean, there were a lot of similarities between what we run and what he ran at Cal. But Maclin, very little. He came in and worked very hard and getting routes done. But again, you’re dealing with a kid who is highly intelligent and has a great desire to do well.

DeSean wants a contract extension. How do you feel about that?:

I never talk about those things publicly. Not gonna get into that.

Any concerns that he could become disruptive if he doesn’t get an extension?

I don’t worry about that at all. I think he wants to play and that’s what he’ll do.

Marlin Jackson, if he’s healthy, kind of gives you a safety with cornerback abilities. Is that becoming more the norm in this league as teams throw the ball more and more? Do you need safeties that can cover?:

Marlin was kind of a ‘tweener coming out of college. He was a corner that they put at nickel inside because he’s so physical. He’s not as fast as a lot of the corners you see out there, but he’s as fast as the safeties. They used him a lot inside (in Indy). That hybrid guy, that ‘tweener guy, those are your safeties (now). You don’t have those big monsters. Those 220-pounders. Not a lot of those around anymore.

Do you pay more attention to the coverage abilities of safeties now when you’re evaluating the college crop than you did 10 years ago?:

I’d say that, yeah.

Your opinion on Jason Peters’ play last season:

I think Jason was the best left tackle in the NFC. His colleagues thought he was. He has room to improve. He knows that. He’s an extremely hard worker on the field. He’ll get better as it goes on. That’s a win-win situation. When you go from one team to another, it’s hard. You’ve got to get acclimated. He did that and I thought he played well for us.

Eagles fans seem to have Donovan fatigue and want him gone and the Kevin Kolb era to begin. Your reaction to that?

I don’t worry about any of that. I know how good he is. That’s the important thing. I’ve got a great situation at that position right now. That’s a good position to have three guys who all can start and win at a championship-calibre level. It doesn’t get any better than that. Kolb’s one play away from playing and Michael’s two plays away. So they’d better be ready to roll. They’ll all go out and play and do what they need to do. They’re all getting paid good money.

How do you know when it’s time to move on?

Normally, when my plate’s empty, I move on.

The offers you’re receiving for your quarterbacks:

People are asking about all of them.

What situation could you see as far as trading Donovan?:

We’re evaluating and taking in the situation.

D
Davy Offline OP
2nd String
OP Offline
2nd String
D
Report: Rams Make McNabb Trade Offer
http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/sports/eagles/032410-rams-make-mcnabb-trade-offer

The Philadelphia Inquirer says the St. Louis Rams have made a solid offer for Donovan McNabb, setting off a new round of McNabb trade rumors.

Jeff McClane says the offer is the Rams second round pick and free safety O.J. Atogwe

A Rams source told Pro Football Talk that there was no truth to the report.

However, the presence of Atogwe in the deal would make sense, given the salary space the Eagles have cleared.

Atogwe is one of the best defensive players in the NFL and is reportedly seeking a long-term deal in the range of Antrel Rolle’s $37 million contract with the New York Giants.

It is unlikely that the Rams will be able to keep Atogwe and the Eagles would have the money to sign him to a long-tem deal.

For such a deal to happen, McNabb would likely need to negotiate a contract extension with the Rams.

Rams head coach Steve Spanoulo and offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur are former Eagles’ coaches.

The report comes on the same day Andy Reid said the Eagles have received trade offers for all three quarterbacks they have under contract.

For weeks, there have been McNabb trade rumors. The first Rams rumor surfaced on March 2.

Reid told reporters at a media breakfast in Orlando about the team's potential trades. The Philadelphia Inquirer reported most of the remarks, which can be read in full on Philly.com.

Reid said the Eagles have gotten trade offers for all three quarterbacks: McNabb, Kevin Kolb and Michael Vick.

``I’m listening (to offers) out there,’’ Reid said at the NFC coaches media breakfast. ``I’m not saying I’m doing anything. But we’re keeping our ears open.’

But Reid’s forthright comments set off a lot of speculation on Wednesday afternoon and some comments by McNabb to the Philadelphia Inquirer.

"My position hasn't changed," McNabb said in a statement released to the Inquirer. "I said all along that I would like to win a Super Bowl and finish my career in Philadelphia. I understand the situation well, and just hope whichever direction the Eagles decide to go in, they do it quickly. I think that would be best for me, Kevin, Michael, the Eagles and any other teams involved. No matter what happens, I have already begun preparing to have an outstanding season in 2010."

D
Davy Offline OP
2nd String
OP Offline
2nd String
D
Now that I have set the stage with these two articles, pose an interesting thought.

If the Rams do trade for Mcnabb and keep the #1 pick, perhaps they would then go Suh.

#2. Lions - Recently drafted Stafford

#3-Tampa- Recently drafted Freeman

#4- Washington- Possible destination for Bradford

#5- KC- Invested in Cassel

#6- Seattle- Possible destination for Bradford

We would have to trade potentially to #3 if interested in Bradford (if the Rams trade for Mcnabb).

That being said, take a look at this article

http://www.freep.com/article/20100321/BLOG21/100321011/Could-Lions-trade-down-with-Browns

ORLANDO – For a while now, I’ve thought that if the Lions stay at No. 2 in the NFL draft, they most likely will take a defensive tackle: Nebraska’s Ndamukong Suh or Oklahoma’s Gerald McCoy – and probably Suh over McCoy. I’ve thought that Oklahoma State left tackle Russell Okung is another possibility, but more likely in a trade-down scenario.

Well, listen to this: The Browns traded defensive line/linebacker Kamerion Wimbley to the Raiders for a third-round pick, and Michael Lombardi, a former NFL executive, writes at nationalfootballpost.com that the third-rounder will help the Browns maneuver in the draft.

“Now, if the Lions are really interested in moving down, they’ll have a very interested trade partner in Cleveland,” Lombardi writes. “The Browns had to make the move because their ultimate goal is to find a quarterback, and they’ll do whatever it takes to make sure they secure one this year.”

Lombardi adds: “The Lions had talented Saints defensive tackle Anthony Hargrove in for a visit. With the addition of Corey Williams from the Browns, the Lions are looking to continue upgrading their defensive line. If they’re able to secure Hargrove … does this mean they’ll move down in the draft to select an offensive tackle?”

Perhaps. General manager Martin Mayhew has been open about his desire to trade down. He has a history of trading with the Browns. He talked last year about possibly drafting a left tackle and moving Jeff Backus to left guard, and he reiterated this year that Backus could move.

But there are problems with this scenario. The quarterback the Browns want must be there at No. 2. If the Rams take Oklahoma’s Sam Bradford No. 1, do the Browns want to trade up to take Notre Dame’s Jimmy Clausen or Texas’ Colt McCoy at No. 2? And if you’re going to trade up, why not trade with Tampa Bay at No. 3? You’re one salary slot lower, and you’re still one spot ahead of the quarterback-needy Redskins.

The Lions also have to be careful about moving down too far. Okung might not be there at No. 7. The Redskins might be a better trade partner at No. 4, maybe the Seahawks at No. 6.

As Lombardi writes, “The Lions must gain blue-chip players in both lines, so they must make sure that whatever they do, they don’t move away from one of those players. The last thing they want to do is move down and not secure Russell Okung or one of the great defensive tackles. Don’t forget, moving down only works if the team still gets the player, or players, it wants.”

Lions coach Jim Schwartz said pretty much the same thing at the NFL scouting combine.

“Whether you trade down and get more picks or you move up, it’s more about identifying the players and getting players to fit what you do rather than getting more picks or things like that,” Schwartz said then. “More picks aren’t useful if you don’t use them wisely.”

Legend
Legend
Quote:

They just traded for Whitehurst so he looks to be their guy IMO

D
Davy Offline OP
2nd String
OP Offline
2nd String
D
My bad...you are right...they gave him that crazy deal.

Well...if they want Bradford and this Mcnabb to Rams deal goes through, they have to leap frog Washington.

D
Davy Offline OP
2nd String
OP Offline
2nd String
D
I think some of the things in the articles are a little crazy, but it paints a picture. And I have always felt that where there is smoke there is fire, especially with Mcnabb/Rams.

I would love that deal for the Rams. They have a above average QB for a few years, draft Suh to go with their young DE's . A playmaker on offense and defense that are ready to play in 2010.

N
Rookie
Rookie
N
Hmmm if the Lions are looking to sure up the Dline maybe we trade Big Baby back to the lions swap firsts and throw in a third...

Seriously, this stuff is just starting to heat up and we are still only in March. I don't know if I can make it til draft day!

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

But only signed him to a 2 year contract...I don't think it means they wouldn't consider Bradford. I'd bet Carroll would go Clausen before Bradford though. The other wrinkle is that supposedly Seattle has done some prelin negotiations with Brandon Marshall's agent. If Seattle and Denver don't work out a deal and Seattle still signs Marshall to an offer, #6 goes to Denver. Orton is restricted if I recall correctly - do they sign him to a long term deal or gamble on a QB?

Quote:

Jeff McClane says the offer is the Rams second round pick and free safety O.J. Atogwe

If that really was the offer, and if they're really that happy with the other 2 guys, I can't see Philly saying no to it. I'd question the Rams though - huge deals to Suh (presuming that's who they'd take) and McNabb both.

Last edited by clwb419; 03/24/10 07:47 PM.
Legend
Legend
Devaney says McNabb trade rumors are "false" and "ridiculous"
Posted by Mike Florio on March 24, 2010 7:29 PM ET
Earlier in the day, Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer reported that the Eagles "have an offer on the table" from the Rams for quarterback Donovan McNabb, and that a trade could happen quickly.

We heard from a Rams source that there is "zero truth" to the report.

As Rosenthal pointed out, someone was full of something that often gets confused with shinola.

For a change, we win.

Per Bernie Miklasz of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Rams G.M. Billy Devaney says that report of a trade is "[a]bsolutely false" and "utterly ridiculous."

Howard Eskin of WIP echoes that report, citing an unnamed high-ranking Rams official who said that the Rams have never even spoken to the Eagles about McNabb.

So, please, citizens of Philadelphia. Return to your homes and go about your business. There is nothing to see here.

web page

#GMSTRONG
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

Devaney says McNabb trade rumors are "false" and "ridiculous"

There ya go...he's as good as gone....

Legend
Legend
Assuming anyone could be "surefire," I'd be a lot more interested in getting Suh than Bradford, should we even move up.

Let this new crew of QB's play the year out, and take a lower round guy. We still have a lot of building to do.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Quote:

If I'm a GM and really dig Bradford, I can't sit on the 20% chance that Bradford would fall to me. I have to get a QB, which is why they went after Whitehurst.

So.............If Bradford were to somehow fall, I wouldn't rule the Seahawks out at all. In fact, if he does get past the 1st pick, I fully expect a whirlwind few minutes as teams fight for the right to move up and get him.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
L
Legend
Legend
L
Quote:

Let this new crew of QB's play the year out, and take a lower round guy. We still have a lot of building to do.

Could not agree more.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
C
Legend
Legend
C
If it comes down to who wants to trade up the most and we are that team, no one can beat our package of picks.

L
Legend
Legend
L
yeah but when you're trading up that high you're often giving away a tonne (although I think GMs are learning to be more flexible when trading down)
Unless it's a guy we are head over heels in love with, no thanks. I'd not trade away next year's 1st to move up. Maybe this year' s 2nd (and something else) but unless we get a sensible deal I'd rather stay at #7.

gmstrong

-----------------

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Patriots could beat us with 3 2nd rounders.

M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
Just as plausible I think is St. Louis getting Mcnabb in a trade and still taking Bradford, giving him a year or two to sit while Mcnabb plays the role of transition QB.

"All I know is, as long as I led the Southeastern Conference in scoring, my grades would be fine." - Charles Barkley
D
Davy Offline OP
2nd String
OP Offline
2nd String
D
This is probably a shocking comment.

I know that the Rams only won 1 game last year.

But if they get Mcnabb, they will be in the running for their division next year.

Very few teams win without good quarterback play and very few teams lose with a good quality veteran quarterback who is healthy.

Look at their division.

Seattle is basically rebuilding and will be in a quarterback competition with an aging quarterback vet with a bad shoulder and back and basically a "rookie" quarterback. They are a mess.

Arizona lost Warner and will be mediocre. Even with Fitz.

San Fran. will be the only real threat and they really are a question mark at the qb position.

If St. Louis gets Mcnabb, they have a young LT in Smith, a quality rb in Jackson and a good qb in Mcnabb. Who will they throw to?

If they get Mcnabb they will need to add some receivers. They have a bunch of complimentary receivers and the best one (Laurent Robinson) was out with a knee injury last year. He definitely showed potential.

Quarterback play is the key. Good quarterback play keeps your D fresh. It keeps the D from stacking in the box to stop Jackson.

If the Rams pull this trade they will have

1 1st round pick
0 2nd
1 3rd
1 4th
2 5th
1 6th
3 7th

They could take Suh to pair along side their other young defensive players

Take a wr or line help in round 3 and then use the rest for best player available.

N
Legend
Legend
N
i agree with the basic premise of your post (nfc west is weak and mcnabb would make them much better)

however, it does not account for their shaky OL and mcnabb's injury history. he'd be lucky to get 8 games out with that OL.

also, their defense would need to improve by leaps and bounds. it certainly could as their DL is very young, but their LB is weak and their secondary would get awfully shaky if they packages Atogwe to get McNabb.

#gmstrong
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
well said.

Also, don't forget Steven Jackson's been injured a lot, and removing Otogwe from their defense would be a huge loss. I couldn't see St. Louis winning the division, though they have a favorable schedule (Seattle, KC, Washington at home and Seattle, Tampa, Oakland and Det away)

SF would be the favorite to win the division, and if Seattle could get healthy, they have enough talent (and 3 picks in the first 2 rounds) to surprise people

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
my guess is they would get mcnabb and draft okungomania

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Somebody else used the example of us trading with the Jets last year as an example of what we would have to give up and I think that is pretty accurate.

The Jets moved from pick 17 to pick 5. To do that they gave up their 1st rounder, 2nd rounder, and three players (Elam, Coleman, and Ratliff). We would be moving up only 4 spots (7 to 3). It seems like it would take less to move from 7 to 3 than it would to move 17 to 5.

I think if Bradford is available when the Bucs pick we should try and trade up to get him. Like others have said before me, if a guy who you think is your franchise QB is available you go get him.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Quote:

Like others have said before me, if a guy who you think is your franchise QB is available you go get him.

Can't argue much with that, either. I get it, I just hate the idea of overpaying when we have so many other holes to fill.

gmstrong

-----------------

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

JUPITER, Fla. -- St. Louis Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo joined the chorus of denial regarding reports that the Rams are close to a deal for Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb.

Spagnuolo said Thursday while visiting the St. Louis Cardinals spring training camp that "there's nothing to that."

"At this time of the year, there are going to be all kinds of things. But no, there's nothing there," Spagnuolo said.

Spagnuolo was at Cardinals camp in Jupiter, Fla., following the NFL owners meetings in Orlando. He visited manager Tony La Russa and will watch some spring training games.

Spagnuolo said he doesn't put much stock in trade rumors. Multiple media outlets in Philadelphia reported Wednesday that the Rams had offered a second-round draft pick and safety Oshiomogho Atogwe for McNabb.

ESPN.com

The other two teams that were rumored to be interested in McNabb were the Raiders and the Bills. The two teams that draft right after us. If one of those two get him it will have no affect on us.

If the Redskins weren't in the same division as the Eagles I'd say they would have a legit interest, but I don't think the Eagles would want to solve a division rivals QB problems.

The only team in the top 6 that could realistically go after McNabb is the Rams, and everyone inside their organization has denied any trade offers with the Eagles.

No McNabb to the Rams = No Bradford to the Browns.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Per the tip -- uncorroborated but nevertheless intriguing -- McNabb and cornerback Asante Samuel would go to Oakland, and cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha would go to Philadelphia.

Pro Football Talk

This seems a bit unrealistic.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Like others have said before me, if a guy who you think is your franchise QB is available you go get him.

Can't argue much with that, either. I get it, I just hate the idea of overpaying when we have so many other holes to fill.

Ya' know, I don't like overpaying, but it really ain't my problem. When anyone says "NFL" -- I already say "overpaid,..."

Like we agreed on earlier,...take the shot with JD/SW and hope for the best with a lower round dude developing into a Brady (Tom).

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Quote:

Quote:

Per the tip -- uncorroborated but nevertheless intriguing -- McNabb and cornerback Asante Samuel would go to Oakland, and cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha would go to Philadelphia.

Pro Football Talk

This seems a bit unrealistic.

Isn't Samuel their best corner? (don't know a lot about philly, I do know they signed him for big bucks)

We're trying to throw the ball downfield and he checked the ball down to Trent Richardson and the Indians on the choice.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He's overrated IMO. I think, and the Philly fans I know agree, that Sheldon Brown is better. And that isn't even a knock on Samuel. Brown is very good.

D
Davy Offline OP
2nd String
OP Offline
2nd String
D
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jWvge_PDyuWLtYr2tlWKEW-dKL8gD9EM05JG0

AP Source: Eagles want a top 42 pick for McNabb

By ROB MAADDI (AP) – 1 hour ago

PHILADELPHIA — Teams interested in acquiring Donovan McNabb will have to part with a high draft pick to get him.

A person familiar with trade discussions involving McNabb told the Associated Press the Philadelphia Eagles will only consider a deal for the six-time Pro Bowl quarterback if it includes a pick among the top 42 in next month's NFL draft.

The person spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity Thursday because the team doesn't comment on potential trades.

After months of saying McNabb would return for another year, Eagles coach Andy Reid acknowledged Wednesday he was listening to offers for McNabb, Kevin Kolb and Michael Vick.

Oakland, Buffalo and St. Louis are considered to be most interested in McNabb. Each team has two picks in the top 42.

It's unlikely any of those teams would give up a first-round pick for McNabb. The Rams have the first overall selection, the Raiders pick eighth and the Bills are ninth. In the second round, however, the Rams have the 33rd pick, Raiders are 39th and Bills are 41st.

A rumored deal that would've sent McNabb to St. Louis for the 33rd pick and safety Oshiomoghe Atogwe was strongly denied by several Rams officials, including coach Steve Spagnuolo.

The Raiders are now considered the front-runner for McNabb if a deal is made. It's still possible the Eagles would accept a pick outside the top 42 if a team sweetened the offer with other picks and/or players.

McNabb is expendable because he's entering the final season of his contract and Kolb is considered the quarterback of the future. The 33-year-old McNabb has led Philadelphia to five NFC championship games in 11 seasons, winning one NFC title.

McNabb had an outstanding season last year until the final two games — consecutive losses at Dallas. The first loss to the Cowboys cost the Eagles the NFC East title and a first-round bye in the playoffs. The next one came in the wild-card playoff.

Copyright © 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
What's up with this top 42 pick crap? Can't they pick an even number?

D
Davy Offline OP
2nd String
OP Offline
2nd String
D
While the Mcnabb to Rams is being denied by everyone. This article makes me believe that there have been discussions and both parties are at some level interested.

If they did get Mcnabb they could release Bulger and Boller...and have Mcnabb/Feeley/ draft prospect in later rounds.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Buffalo picks 41, Raiders pick 39.

It' starting to sound like McNabb is a goner.

Come on Rams, step your game up!

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Pretty straight-forward if you ask me. If this is true, the Iggles are saying they'll consider any pick in the first round or the first 10 picks in the second round. Beyond that, they must think the value of the talent likely to be available is too low for McNabb.

Honestly, I doubt anybody will give that up for McNabb, but who knows. ::shrug::

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
D
Davy Offline OP
2nd String
OP Offline
2nd String
D
One of the reasons I have gravitated to the Mcnabb/Rams potential deal is because of their D.

If you go with a proven veteran they can use that #1 pick on D. Everyone keeps talking about what a game changer Suh can be. With Suh, they would have a nice young nucleus with Laurinatis, Long, Carriker etc. And perhaps Suh can help with the progression of the DE's.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I know there is no cap this year. I also know there are no cap penalties. If the Raiders get McNabb is Russell a goner? It would be hard to commit over $20 million + to two players who play the same position.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

it is an even number.

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Am I the only one that thinks (if my team didn't have a franchise qb and had a good team going into next season) that McNabb is a steal for a top-10 pick in the SECOND round?

Teams with talent but no clear-cut qb -
Skins out - same division
Cards - GREAT fit
49ers - Solid fit
Rams as mentioned but void of any talent on O
Panthers - solid WR and great RBs

Bills - too devoid of talent to make sense (like us)
Dolphins - could work
Broncos - Have two great back-ups but don't realize it yet
Raiders - just don't see this one bc too much invested in Russell to give up already
Browns - don't think we have enough talent on our team to make a high #2 make sense for where he is in his career
Texans - Shaub seems to be a fit
Jags - Maybe here too?

There is quite a list who could use him. I really think people are underplaying his value to a team who is 1 or 2 missing pieces from making a run.

[Linked Image from thumb0.webshots.net]
C
Legend
Legend
C
68% completion rate, 4,770 passing yards, 29 TD's to 15 INT's, and a 98.6 passer rating. Yeah, I'd say Schaub is a fit. I get your point, but I don't think it's fair to mention the Texans with all those other teams.

I agree that a team that has everything besides the QB should be interested in McNabb if he will only cost a 2nd rounder. As you mentioned the Cardinals would be able to stay playoff contenders if they got him. The 49ers would contend in that division. Also, who knows if Favre is coming back, but if he doesn't the Vikings would probably be the best fit.

I am still holding out for the Rams to trade for him.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

If the Redskins weren't in the same division as the Eagles I'd say they would have a legit interest, but I don't think the Eagles would want to solve a division rivals QB problems.

But the Redskins have Campbell.. how is it that Campbell coming here solves our QB problems but Campbell staying in Washington does NOT solve their QB problems?

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Campbell's been there a while. If they have QB problems ... it may be him?

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Donovan Mcnabb trade watch and how it effects the Browns @#7

Link Copied to Clipboard