Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#479451 03/29/10 06:45 PM
Rookie
OP Offline
Rookie
Not trying to lay down the jinx, but I've been a Browns Fan long enough to owe a couple of beers to Murphy (i.e. the Fumble, the Drive, helmet toss, etc.)

What would we do if the draft went like this?

1. St. Louis - Bradford QB
2. Detroit - Berry S
3. Tampa Bay - Suh DL
4. Washington - Claussen QB
5. Kansas City - Haden CB
6. Seattle - McCoy DL

"Assume" that no one wants to trade for our pick what do we do now?

Last edited by Referee7; 03/29/10 09:40 PM.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Ronaldo McClain.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
A
2nd String
2nd String
A
Earl Thomas

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Draft Jason Pierre- Paul I assume.

Or Dez Bryant or Rolondo MaClain.

Last edited by Cleveland_clutch; 03/29/10 06:51 PM.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Okung

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
I think Okung would be a great choice...as would McClain.

I wouldnt want to pick, but those two would be the one i want...I think even if that would happen, theres still great choices so thats good.

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Not trying to lay down the jinx, but I've been a Browns Fan long enough to owe a couple of beers to Murphy (i.e. the Fumble, the Drive, helmet toss, etc.)

2. Detroit - Berry S
3. Tampa Bay - Suh DL
6. Seattle - McCoy DL

I think it would be worse if someone took Okung and Claussen was still on the board.

at that point, i think you almost have to take Okung as he is clearly the superior value (especially with Fujita on board for ILB next to D'Qwell). Plus, even if noone is interested at the time of trading, you can bet once they miss out on the LT they expected to drop, they would come calling.

If Okung is gone?

umm, well, I suppose I'd go McClain anyway as I don't think any CB is worth it that high, though I'd be tempted to just go Earl Thomas.

Or, Anthony Davis and again have our OL locked up.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Rolando Mcclain no brainer

D
2nd String
2nd String
D
Don't forget Derrick Morgan. He could play end in the 3-4. And former Browns Scout Daniel Jeremiah states that he is the type of player that Mangini covets due to his hard work ethic.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Interesting question. Not sure who I'd want for sure. Okung is highest on my board, but we have a boatload into the OL already. I think Derrick Morgan fits 4-3 DE better than a 3-4 OLB. McClain is next. Bulaga and Williams are next, but same comment about OL. Brandon Graham is intriguing. I'm torn - part of me says draft the highest rated player (Okung) and the other half says go with the next best that isn't OL (McClain).

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Don't forget Derrick Morgan. He could play end in the 3-4.

He'd be a pass rushing OLB but it's still a good idea.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
I don't think he'd be a 3-4 DE, he'd be a 3-4 OLB, and from everything I read on the combine, he struggled mightily - specifically drop/change directions. Basically he's got bad hips... I didn't see him specifically at the combine, so I can't say anything other than I've read. But I've not seen much saying he can make the switch.

D
2nd String
2nd String
D
I understand your concerns about him. And I agree. That is why I didn't mention him as a OLB. I do think it is completely reasonable that in a NFL weightlifting program he could gain 15lbs of muscle. And that would give him the size to play 3-4 end.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Yeah, that's definitely a possibility. I wonder if the Browns brass think he'd be worth that chance. Anyone know if he was being brought in for a visit?

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
In the extremely rare event that this scenario actually plays out, I'd imagine that the Browns would select Derick Morgan, assuming they couldn't trade down and get Earl Thomas.

you had a good run Hank.
D
2nd String
2nd String
D
Quote:

Yeah, that's definitely a possibility. I wonder if the Browns brass think he'd be worth that chance. Anyone know if he was being brought in for a visit?

http://www.sportingnews.com/college-foot...out-mock-drafts

My pro day at Georgia Tech went great. I improved on everything I did from my numbers at the Combine a few weeks ago in Indianapolis.

I leaped 36 inches in the vertical jump (I did 34 at the Combine), went 9 feet 9 1/2 inches in the broad jump (up from 9-4) and ran in the low 4.3s in the short shuttle (it was 4.43 in Indy). I did 21 reps in the 225-pound bench press, which I didn't do at the Combine.

In addition to those things, I went through several position drills, one directed by Dan Quinn, the defensive line coach of the Seahawks, and another by Joe Cullen, the Jaguars' D-line coach. One of the Bengals coaches had me do some linebacker stuff.

I couldn't tell you how many NFL teams had representatives there. It was a lot, I know that. Although I wasn't necessarily counting head coaches, I remember seeing Mike Smith of the Falcons, Lovie Smith of the Bears and Ken Whisenhunt of the Cardinals.

For now, I'm going to stay in Atlanta—I'm not going back to Phoenix, where I trained for six weeks—and live at my mom's house. I'll continue working out at the Georgia Tech facility. What's neat about that is I get to see some friends and former teammates.

I'm not sure how many teams will invite me for visits before the draft. I have already done things with the Seahawks and Dolphins, and I have other meetings or workouts scheduled with the Bucs and Browns. My agent told me to stay tuned, as a few others are in the works.

I've been training since our season ended in early January, and I have to admit that it does get to be a grind at times. But it's a great opportunity, so I'm taking it all in with a positive attitude. There aren't a lot of people who get a chance to be drafted into the NFL. It's a blessing to even have a chance to go through this.

A lot of my friends have been monitoring all the mock drafts. They're always calling me and telling me where I'm predicted to go, but I don't like discussing all that. I really don't care about mock drafts. I know people are paid to do them, so they've got to put something out there. But nine out of 10 times, they're usually wrong.
Related Links

* Oklahoma DT Gerald McCoy's diary

I think the tape of my performance during the season speaks for itself. As far as everything else, I think I've done a good job of promoting myself as a player teams would want to have.

I'm not going to predict where I'll be picked. I just feel like I'm the most complete defensive end overall in the draft. Whichever team has defensive end as its biggest need should be the one that drafts me.

— As told to Dennis Dillon
About the author

Derrick Morgan, a defensive end from Georgia Tech, was voted the ACC Defensive Player of the Year after making 18.5 tackles for loss and 12.5 sacks in 2009. He finished his college career with 19.5 sacks. He'll chronicle his journey to the NFL draft for Sporting News.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
First and foremost, that won't happen. Second, I would like Trent Williams there, but that won't happen, so I'd go Jason Pierre-Paul.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

Quote:

2. Detroit - Berry S
3. Tampa Bay - Suh DL
6. Seattle - McCoy DL

I think it would be worse if someone took Okung and Claussen was still on the board.

Ouch, I wouldnt want that to happen at all. That is the worst case scenerio assuming Holmgren isnt using 'Butchspeak' about not liking Clausen.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

2. Detroit - Berry S
3. Tampa Bay - Suh DL
6. Seattle - McCoy DL

If the first 6 went that way, no one would want our pick. Including us.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Okung or Trent Williams. Williams has played on the right side.

Draft Tebow in the second to get real value.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

2. Detroit - Berry S
3. Tampa Bay - Suh DL
6. Seattle - McCoy DL

I'd say screw it and draft Tebow... I mean what else could go wrong?

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Okung.

Legend
Legend
if the NFL is stupid enough to give the Browns both Joe Thomas and Russel Okung.. PERFECT!!!

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
honestly, I wouldn't complain one bit about it... I think he will be more than solid. Can you imagine a line with 3 first rounders who are playing like first rounders? wow

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
CJ Spiller would be a nice addition as well though.. making Harrison expendable..

Spiller.. Davis.. Hiller... They would win games.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

if the NFL is stupid enough to give the Browns both Joe Thomas and Russel Okung.. PERFECT!!!

But like one poster said, switch Okung with Clausen and thats an even worse case scenerio. Then what do you do? I think Spiller is a reach, especially with so many holes to fill.

Legend
Legend
trade down.. lol

Legend
Legend
Brandon Graham or Rolando McClain. I'd be fine with either. Trent Williams or Russell Okung would make me happy too. Thanks but no thanks to Derrick Morgan.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Of the 4-3 DE's that convert to 3-4 OLB my order goes like this 1. Graham 2. Hughes 3. Morgan.

If it really came down to it I wouldn't be unhappy with Graham in the 1st, although I know that won't happen.

Legend
Legend
I want a pick in the top 4, even if we spend a few draft picks to get a real keeper. We can be curious in later rounds, but if we need to pay a premium for best of breed or thereabouts in a few of our "needy" positions, okeedoxe.
I am excited for this draft; some people might want to trade with us because they do not play us. I favor the MH approach so far, get something proven and competitive. Some play this season from the draft, a few ripen. But a truly memorable draft this year will help. We can be VERY active, up or down, on draft day. Stay tuned to the overwhelming excitement and drama that is the NFL draft decision to pointlessly spread it over three days. WHy not two weeks or a year and a half?

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Trade down

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Morgan is a 3-4 DE, he is not going to convert to OLBer.

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Other names that would probably come up in discussion would be Sergio Kindle and Carlos Dunlap - though I wouldn't take either of them in the top ten, I think enough people like their talent that the names would be discussed.

My Choices would be:

1 - Trade Down. You eliminate this as an option but I can't see this as not being an option. I am sure they have potential trade down deals already lined up. But the rules are that this doesn't happen so my next choice is:

Trent Williams

I would also consider:

Brandon Graham
Rolando McClain
Sean Weatherspoon
Brian Bulaga
Earl Thomas

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Morgan is a 3-4 DE, he is not going to convert to OLBer.

He's 6'4 272, that is small for a 3-4 DE

FYI Demarcus Ware is 6'4 265

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Morgan has perfect size for a strongside tweener. He's smaller than Matt Roth. With that said, I'm not a big fan.

My tweeners ranked are:

1. JPP
2. Graham
3. Sergio Kindle
4. Jerry Hughes

Legend
Legend
Quote:

1 - Trade Down. You eliminate this as an option but I can't see this as not being an option. I am sure they have potential trade down deals already lined up.

The whole premise of the exercise is that all of the players being discussed as worthy of the #7 pick by most fans are gone.. so assuming other teams feel as we do, then there is nobody worthy of the #7 pick left on the board... therefore, why would anybody trade up to #7 just to reach and take somebody not worth that pick in the first place?

yebat' Putin
C
Legend
Legend
C
In this draft you don't need a top 4 pick to get a real keeper.

But if we do want to trade up we will have the ammunition.

My best case scenario would be to trade down. Accumulate a few more picks allowing us to sneak back into the 1st round and/or get another 2nd rounder.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Quote:

what do we do now?

Be thankful someone was bold enough to use a pick on Claussen.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
I'm not for trading out of the #7 unless somebody offers me an unbelievable deal. We need the kind of impact player that can be had at 7.. we need the kind of excitement that goes with a big name.. we have plenty of lower picks that we can package to move back up into the 2nd and 3rd for more quality picks.. but I want that #7 pick.

yebat' Putin
C
Legend
Legend
C
There is enough talent in this draft that if we traded back into the the 12-32 range we would still get an impact player. (There's enough talent in every draft to get impact guys in the late 1st round by the way. Knowshon Moreno, Brian Cushing, Clay Matthews, Alex Mack, Michael Oher, Percy Harvin, Beanie Wells, Ryan Clady, Jonathan Stewart, Joe Flacco, Sam Baker, and Chris Johnson were all drafted after pick 12 in the 1st round of the past two drafts.)

If we traded down then we could probably have the pick we traded for, then trade back into the 1st round with the picks we already have, and then still trade back into the 2nd round with the picks we have plus the picks we acquired from trading down.

That sounds like an ideal situation to me. Imagine if we left this draft with Earl Thomas, Jerry Hughes, and Charles Brown. Or Brandon Graham, Mike Iupati, and Colt McCoy. Or Kyle Wilson, Terrance Cody, and Anthony McCoy. Those would be great drafts with just our 1st three picks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Worst Case Scenario

Link Copied to Clipboard