Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Not sure this needs its own thread but I really couldn't find a better place to put it..

Quote:

Kiper: Cleveland Browns should take WR Dez Bryant
By Tony Grossi, The Plain Dealer
April 07, 2010, 12:26PM

CLEVELAND -- ESPN draft expert Mel Kiper says the Browns should take Oklahoma State receiver Dez Bryant with the seventh overall pick in the April 22-24 draft.

"For obvious reasons," Kiper said on a teleconference call on Wednesday. "They need a receiver to help out the quarterback, whoever's playing."

Kiper is the second national draft analyst to pick Bryant in the Browns' first-round slot. About a month ago, Mike Mayock of NFL Network said Bryant is one of his top-five rated players and would be a great pick for the Browns at No. 7.

Bryant had a difficult upbringing and was suspended last year for lying to NCAA investigators about his relationship with former NFL player Deion Sanders.

Bryant is a spectacular athlete, but was less than spectacular at his pro day on March 30. His 40 times were 4.52 and 4.68 seconds. Kiper downplayed the negatives about Bryant.

"It's not something teams I speak to are that concerned with," he said. "He's passionate about the game, likes to study film. I hear he's not going to affected at all (by the negatives)."

Browns President Mike Holmgren has said he wants to add a receiver with top end speed.

Kiper also gave his projections for the Browns' next three picks:

He gives them Texas quarterback Colt McCoy with their second pick, No. 38 overall.

"(He has) leadership, command, presence. I don't buy that he doesn't have the arm. He dinked and dunked because he had to. He's 6-1 1/2 about 215. This notion he's too small or doesn't have an arm, I don't buy it. He's a stronger-armed version of Jake Plummer," Kiper said.

He gives them Miami tight end Jimmy Graham with their first third-round pick, No. 71 overall. He gives them LSU safety Chad Jones at No. 85 ovarll.

• Texas linebacker Sergio Kindle's tour of NFL visits takes him to the Browns this week. Kindle, one of the top-rated 3-4 pass rushers, visited Tennessee earlier in the week and intends to also pass through Miami.

© 2010 cleveland.com. All rights reserved.

I guess this is just more fodder for discussion..

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2010/04/kiper_cleveland_browns_should.html

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Leon soured me on taking WRs high, esp one that barely played this season. We have too many other holes to gamble on him.

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

I guess this is just more fodder for discussion

Is that what you call 9 out of 10 posters ripping on Kiper and being jealous he has his job?

No way I want Bryant. No way it happens.

If he didn't have the reputation for being a major diva / headcase I STILL wouldn't want him at #7.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I really don't know if his reputation is deserved or not, but there does seem to be alot of truth to it.. that's exactly the kinda guy that Mangini doesn't want and heckert seems to have a history of staying away from troubled players as well,

I don't think Kiper has figured that out yet..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
T
Legend
Legend
T
From history, to quote a General I forget, from a situation I forget.

" Nuts!"

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
So Kiper thinks we're using this draft to build the offense some more?

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Legend
Legend
YTownBrownsFan says that Kiper should stop taking illegal drugs from now on .......

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Legend
Legend
C
I guess we have filled a couple of our defensive holes (Fujita, Gocong, Brown). With that said, I still think it would be hard for us to go offense in the 1st round. We have a pretty good young WR (Massaquoi) and a serviceable RB group. So for me it would be hard to take Bryant (or Spiller) in the 1st round.

The only way I think we go offense in round 1 is if Okung falls or if our Front Office determines one of the other O-Linemen is worth pick #7. (I'm assuming Bradford is the 1st pick.)

Legend
Legend
no thanks.

Give me Berry. If Berry is not there.. trade down.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
IMO, every single draft has WRs, RBs, QBs, etc. Some drafts have stronger classes than others.

Unless you truly feel Bryant is a can't miss kind of guy, you can find a no. 1 WR next year.

For example, you don't pass up a guy like Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald. Is Bryant that guy? I have no idea.

I just haven't heard anything that he's THE guy, hence worth passing up some pretty darn good defensive players.

Legend
Legend
I'd rather have Demaryius Thomas of GA Tech than Bryant.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He said the same thing last year about Crabtree. He might be right, but not at pick #7. Mel is actually pretty good at what he does, but he regularly neglects the philosophy's of the respective teams front offices.

This guy does not match Mangini/Heckert or Holmgren.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Bryant has the talent of Fitzgerald/Johnson. What people are worried about is if he has his he screwed on straight.

Legend
Legend
I guess my approach is that a guy is only "can't miss" if he has his head on straight. He might have all the talent in the world, but if he's going to be getting in trouble, then he sure ain't "can't miss."

JMHO

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Right ...Bryant does have that kind of talent....But I do nt think and many have said that he does not have the "head" of those 2.

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Mr.Hair needs to continue his arguments with McShay over QB's and not tell Cleveland who they should select...

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

Mel is actually pretty good at what he does, but he regularly neglects the philosophy's of the respective teams front offices.

that's maybe my biggest gripe about all these so called experts.. they look at a player, then they look at team needs.., and as far as that goes,, nothing wrong with it..

But they rarely if ever match up a teams desired player profile to the player..

If they did, they'd see that it's highly unlikely that we draft a Dez Bryant or any guy that appears to be of questionable character with this regime in place...

But that's just being picky I guess....

Last edited by Damanshot; 04/07/10 04:02 PM.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
C
Legend
Legend
C
Yeah. And he's a fan of the Ravens. Should we really listen to draft advice from a Raven fan? I say no.

Legend
Legend
there was another Bryant who was "tagged" a locker room cancer and has jumped from team to team..

So talented.. but...

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
The hair works hard at what he does. No complaints..he aint perfect.....only DJ would come close to that.

Me personally...i would take Price or Ford with one of our 3rds before taking Bryant.

IMO...Price will be a great pickup for someone. I hope its us!

You dont have to win every game just the next one!
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Kiper is a nit-wit. We've got too many holes in more important spots that we should be able address at #7 to be messing around with a wideout that high. Perhaps if we trade down a few spots and he's the BPA there, but not at #7.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Kiper also had Mike Williams ranked #1 overall the year we drafted Leon.

C
1st String
1st String
C
Quote:

Yeah. And he's a fan of the Ravens. Should we really listen to draft advice from a Raven fan? I say no.

i think its fair to say that ravens fans have enjoyed much better drafting than we have. not that it makes their fans any more knowledgeable.....

Legend
Legend
Quote:

He said the same thing last year about Crabtree. He might be right, but not at pick #7. Mel is actually pretty good at what he does, but he regularly neglects the philosophy's of the respective teams front offices.

Exactly, he's picking a player HE thinks the Browns should take. Not who he thinks our front office will take. Big difference.

As far as his suggestion, no thanks.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
C
Legend
Legend
C
Kiper also has Clausen rated above Bradford.

Not saying I agree or disagree. Just interesting.

T
Rookie
Rookie
T
At least he'd bring a little excitement to the offense... Still not sure how much our passing game can improve by just banking on Mo Mass, Robiskie, and Moore to improve.

Our offense will be running the wishbone if we can't add any threats

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
j/k

My biggest question about these guys is, if they were so darn smart and accurate, why hasent a NFL teams hired them, some say becuase they make more on thier own, maybe, but wouldnt their worth be in the millions for a GM & owners.....?????

Legend
Legend
Quote:

From history, to quote a General I forget, from a situation I forget.

" Nuts!"

General Anthony McAuliffe, in a reply to General Heinrich von Luttwitz, when McAuliffe who was surrounded in the town of Bastogne during WWII, received basically a surrender or we'll kill you note from General von Luttwitz.

Sorry it's a bit off topic but I love WWII history.

#GMSTRONG
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Maybe I should quit giving this speech, but Kiper has a long history with floating out all kinds of draft picks to all kinds of teams for one very simple reason: Drumming up interest to sell newspapers.

If people were so-inclined to spend the time to track Kiper's quotes over the last decade, they'd see that he floats various players to each team at various times. Right now, it's Bryant. Last week, it was Haden. The previous week, it was Clausen.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

As for me, I've seen too many odds instances of behavioral issues with Bryant to take him at 7.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

I agree with you 100% BpG!

Another thing I've noticed about Kiper is the closer to the draft he gets, the more accurate he becomes. I notice he doesn't indicate we "will" draft him, but that we "should".

I actually feel that he has sources within war rooms on draft day that give him kind of a heads up on their possible pick or picks.

That or he studies hard on needs and priority between now and the draft to get more accurate. What Kiper can do is evaluate talent. He can evaluate the draft. The closer to the draft the better.

At this point, he's really not all that much more accurate than a fairly good mock. Probably better than mine though!

I've heard it said that it's all from memory too. That he comes in on draft day empty handed. When it gets to the third round and past that point, when it gets to players we really know next to nothing about, he spills all that info out based on memory!

I give the guy kudos for being the very best at what he does.

jmho

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Y
2nd String
2nd String
Y
I like Kiper just because he's entertaining. Sounds like a motor mouth when he gets talking about players, and it doesn't hurt that they're always showing great highlights to really get you excited about the players.

That said, I think I'll get sick to my stomach if we take Bryant.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I think he sounds that way because he's so excited!

I think the man completely enjoys and loves his job. To me that's something I enjoy seeing. Almost sounds like a teen-ager telling you about thier spring break! The man gets into his job IMO.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Another thing I've noticed about Kiper is the closer to the draft he gets, the more accura§e he becomes.

That's right...And it's been said it's because he actually TALKS to NFL people...And gets a solid inclination as to where these teams have certain players on respective boards...

It's also why his Top 20 changes CONSTANTLY...

And BTW...He's RIGHT having Clausen #1...

Go Browns!!!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Leon soured me on taking WRs high, esp one that barely played this season. We have too many other holes to gamble on him.

Dez Bryant catches the ball though. He's truly the clear-and-away best WR in the draft IMO and definitely a top level NFL talent over all. As one poster mentioned the real concern is his head. I have no idea about that. What I do know is that he's going to make some team a lot better at that position. We do happen to have a ridiculous need at that position. Just sayin'.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think this is a case where circumstance could dictate a pick like this.

If our top 4 guys are off the board (lets say Berry, Okung, Suh and Bradford) and we're pretty apathetic towards what's left, I think Bryant MAY come in to the picture.

Ideally you trade down (if you don't like who's there at #7) but who's to say anyone is interested in the pick if the Browns are not?

The Browns do need a #1 WR and even more so if they plan to follow that pick up with a QB at #38. An inexperienced signal caller need guys to lean on. The Browns have holes at CB but S. Brown should buy them a year or two if they would prefer to wait (or draft a lower developmental guy).

Not saying I'd be thrilled with Bryant but if other players we like come off the board, I could see him as a possibility. Likely? Not at all but he is talented enough to take that high (if the FO likes him).

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
I wouldnt have a problem with the selection, if Berry is gone, but Its not going to happen.

If Berry is gone, they will go Haden, RT, D-line, trade down.

A question to those who say Bryant has a screw loose. Outside of him talking to Dion Sanders, what else has he done. IMO, he should have never gotten any kind of suspension. OK, so he talked to Dion, he did nothing wrong. The worst thing he did was be a young man, being put into a corner by the NCAA, and lied because he was scared. He told the truth soon after. If he was aked with a coach or a lawyer in the room, none of this would of happened. The NCAA sent high priced, whoever they sent (lawyers?), and cornered him and I bet he didnt have representation. If he did anything wrong, he should have been notified that they thought he did something wrong and let him get representation. How many of you can honestly say as a youngster that you did something wrong and when asked by your parents, teacher, principle, cops, that right away said you didnt do it? Heck, if a judge is drunk and gets pulled over for swerving and the cop asked him "Did you have anything to drink?" nine out of ten times the judge will say "No". This was by far a lessor of a lie and he didnt hurt nobody. The fact that the NCAA suspends Bryant for a year for something so minor and Calipari hasnt got any kind of suspension, shows that the NCAA is full of crap. The NCAA makes money off of Calipari working, it doesnt matter one bit if a collegiate player gets suspended because that doesnt effect their pockets in any way as it does with top name coaches. The NCAA suspended him because they have these over-priced members that want to do something like this, just to show they are doing something to prove their worth. They maybe should have gave him a one game suspension to show athletes the consequences. I bet anyone involved in Bryants suspension made a bigger lie then Bryant did but they feel they are above everyone else with their powers. That would be like suspending one of them for a year because they told their children there was a Santa Clause.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Kiper does what he does for entertainment. Thats why he changes his mock around so much because so many people pay for ESPN Insider to see things like his new mock. It will probably change 2 or 3 times before the draft. Remember when he said the Browns will take Chris Gamble?

One thing kiper has changed is that if he doesnt have anything good to say, he wont say it at all. When the Browns had horrible drafts in their earlier years, he would say how bad of a pick or how it was a huge reach. Then 75% of Browns fans, who never heard of the Northcutts, Davis' (WR) Chaun Thompsons', Quincy Morgans, didnt want to hear it so they bashed him and said he is a moron and he dont know what he is talking about. Or "Who cares what he has to say, he isnt a GM" Turned out he was right. Then eventually when the Browns continued to make horrible picks, me and my friends would crack up because we were waiting for him to bash yet another bad pick and he would just skip over the recent selection and continue to talk about the pick before.

I highly doubt that if kiper was the GM, he makes that pick. Hes hyping up players for the upcoming draft as part of the ESPN draft coverage hype. If they see one of Kipers drafts and their team is taking a™big name player, it makes them want to tune in. Thats why he has 20 mock drafts.

1st String
1st String
I like Kiper's shtick. He's fun to listen to when he's got a player he loves or when a team makes what he considers to be a draft mistake. He goes off. Good theater.

But I have a mock. Everyone on this board has a mock. There are thousands of mocks all over the internet. The fact of the matter is that all the build up to the draft is just a guessing game. Do the Browns need an impact WR? Sure. But they need a big hitting safety, a right tackle, a right guard, a QB, and depth at CB, RB, and the front 7. At this point, I doubt that Holmgren and Heckert know exactly what the Browns will be doing in two weeks. Too many variables.

Anyway, Mel will change his mind a few more times between now and April 22nd. Who ya got for us next week, Mel?

[color:"red"]"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
---Leonardo daVinci
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
IMO he would have done a better job with our drafts over the years than our GMs. But then,so would a monkey throwing darts at a draft board.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Kiper says we should take Dez Bryant at #7

Link Copied to Clipboard