Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
I don't want this guy either but our receiving is dead last in the league, it's no surprise that one may feel we should take the top rated receiver in this years draft.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

And BTW...He's RIGHT having Clausen #1...

I would respectfully suggest that you hit the talk show circuit in an attempt to help pad your 15%.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

If Berry is gone, they will go Haden, RT, D-line, trade down.

My only issue with your thinking is I simply don't feel you pick a RT this high. There's a big difference in the talent needed to play LT verses RT.

Otherwise I do agree with your scenario. And I have mentioned this in a few other threads, but we would be picking at #7 with the top rated CB still on the board with Hayden. Actually in my mock, as well as many I have seen, Berry will fall to us.

The teams picking above us have huge holes that must be addressed other than safety. However it's not a given by any means.

My thinking is that if Berry is gone, you still draft Hayden.

Brown is getting older and I don't see him playing CB over two or three more years. But man Brown is one helluva hard hitter with good coverage skills.

I feel drafting Hayden would give us that long term answer at the CB position and you would just slide Brown over to S solidifying our entire secondary making it a strength on our O rather than the glaring weakness it was going into the off-season.

There are so many possibilities to trade down that may arise it's hard to tell where we may end up drafting, but at #7 I would be very comfortable taking Hayden if Berry doesn't fall to us.

jmho

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Another thing I've noticed about Kiper is the closer to the draft he gets, the more accurate he becomes.

That's right...And it's been said it's because he actually TALKS to NFL people...And gets a solid inclination as to where these teams have certain players on respective boards...

It's also why his Top 20 changes CONSTANTLY...

And BTW...He's RIGHT having Clausen #1...

Knowing that he is being quoted and listened to by tons of people.. NFL big mouths aren't going to give him any real info about what they want..

A
All Pro
All Pro
A
I agree that most anyone here would have done a better job than our GMs since The Return. The baton was totally fumbled by Clark and dropped like a greased pig by Garcia, fumbled like a bar of soap by Savage, blubbed by Kokinis( really it was Mangenioues) and now the new Regime. So hairdo thiks Dez Bryant should be the guy? I like berry but hey I did not see Tennessee play that much but know a top safety is a position of need, will berry be the best one is anyone's guess. A top WR, whom none of our Qbs had last year would make our cast of complementary parts, Momass, Robo, Cribbs, Watson even more dangerous.

So If he truly is the very best WR in the draft and the very best safety is taken why not? We have not had an elite wr in Cleveland since Webster Slaughter and that is a LOOOOONG time. I could live with that.

Legend
Legend
I think we could do a lot worse than Bryant at 7. Some analysts have been saying he's got skills similar to Randy "Ratio" Moss. I think putting Massaquoi in the slot with Robo at SE would improve our passing game a lot. Many of MM's catches were on a slant route anyway.

Only question is, "When that bawl is in the ayer, does Dez get... emotionally crazy?"

C
Legend
Legend
C
I read one site saying the 49ers might draft Bryant with one of their 1st rounders. Imagine an offense with Gore and Coffee at RB, Crabtree and Bryant at WR, and Vernon Davis at TE. Scary. Now if only they had a QB.

Also, I agree with you. While I would rather have other players (Berry) or situations (trade down), we can do much worse than Dez Bryant. Having him and Massaquoi is very intriguing. Especially if we found a QB later in the draft.

M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
I can probably put up identical 2007 DA numbers with a supporting cast like that, a truly good QB could probably put up 4500 to 5000 yards...scary thought.

"All I know is, as long as I led the Southeastern Conference in scoring, my grades would be fine." - Charles Barkley
C
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
C
If the Browns pass on Dez Bryant,then theirs a good possibilty that he falls to the Bengals or Ravens....
then the Browns would have to end up trying to defend him 2 times a year....and given the recent play of the Browns CB's....that may not be good.

Legend
Legend
I'd be pretty surprised if bryant got past buffalo, Miami, AND seattle's 14. I don't think falling to the bengals or ravens is a significant possibility barring a trade up by one of the teams.

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

IMO when it comes to Seattle and Miami I have it figured this way..........

Seattle needs and can still get a legit LT at the #6 spot. With Walter Jones gone they certainly can't come back at #14 and get that OT. Reason being, both the Raiders at #8 and the Niners at #13 will both possibly be in the market for an OT as well.

Then at #14, they need secondary help. With Pete Carroll's former S in Taylor mays being available, I see them selecting him at #14.

That leaves us with getting Berry. I see either one of the top 4 or five OT's falling to San Fran, be it Williams or Campbell. (Haven't broken down the OT position in depth enough to say which one I think will fall as of yet so the names may change there)

So I think they will go DB and OT with these two picks. According to my line of thinking, with us taking Berry and Carroll favoring Mays, I believe either Earl Thomas or Hayden may fall to them at #14. Have no idea as to which one though as of yet.

So if my scenario plays out, I don't see the 49'ers going with Dez Bryant. I'm actually favoring Brant going to the dolphins at #12 at this juncture as someone mentioned.

The first team I have actually taking a look at C.J. Spiller would be the Giants. They need a smaller, quicker RB to address something that as of yet they totally lack in their RB stable. A faster, smaller back who has hands and can take it to the house at any given moment.

Spiller isn't an every down back but he would fit well with the Giants an add a deminsion they are sorely lacking in.

jmho

#gmstrong
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

Bryant has the talent of Fitzgerald/Johnson. What people are worried about is if he has his he screwed on straight.

And thats EXACTLY what we dont need in a first round pick! Pick somebody safe like we did with Joe Thomas-that worked out pretty well, didnt it? Forget sexy picks-get workhorses.

[Linked Image from dcptest.com]
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
A Joe Thomas Talent doesn't come around very often. Normally these picks aren't as easy to make, case in point this year.

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
M
Rookie
Rookie
M
If the powers that be pick him...I would have no problem with it at all.

Yeah we need help in other areas...but don't act like WR isn't a glaring weakness on this team. Our offense last year was the worst I've seen in quite some time.

Yes...QB and an old ass Jamal was part of the problem...but not having a big physical receiver was also part of the problem.

I don't know if he will be a Fitz/Moss type receiver...but if he is...we will all be pretty happy.

V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
Quote:

Quote:

My only issue with your thinking is I simply don't feel you pick a RT this high. There's a big difference in the talent needed to play LT verses RT.

I brought this up in another thread but don't remember if anyone else had read or heard the same thing. I read somewhere awhile back that Joe Thomas might want to play for the Greenbay Packers at some point in the future,probably when this contract was finished. I believe his father may have made these statements but I am not sure. Anyway, my thinking was drafting a right tackle at seven would indeed be using a high pick but looking to the future would it make sense to overspend now for long term security? I mean the options are Thomas leaves and we have a quality substitute ready to take over or he stays with the Browns and we have Thomas, Mack and Okung ( as an example) anchoring the line for years to come.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
No way we let Thomas walk, not happening. Franchise tag him until he's done.

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
C
Legend
Legend
C
I've read that the Patriots with their surplus of picks might want to trade up and take Dez Bryant.

But who knows this time of the year if anything we read about the draft is true.

The only thing I know for sure. Sam Bradford to the Rams at #1.

V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
Quote:

No way we let Thomas walk, not happening. Franchise tag him until he's done.

I agree, but how will the whole franchise tag issue be affected next year? Is there a possibility that that system might go away?

P
Legend
Legend
P
I understand what you're saying, but I simply don't see us going OT at #7.

And certainly haven't seen anythig in the media concerning JT wanting to leave Cleveland that I consider to be "credable".

Seems like kind of a leap imo. Just want you to know I'm not trying to flame on you or anything at all.

Just from my perspective I see that as one helluva long shot.

jmho

#gmstrong
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

Quote:

Oh I agree with you. But when I made that statement, I should have clarified, I was thinking about Trent Williams. He is an LT that can come in and be a run blocking RT right away.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

I understand what you're saying, but I simply don't see us going OT at #7.

With our current front office's history I don't think any of us should be surprised if we go OT at #7.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I know this may sound strange, but if the Hawks go with Berry, I could see us looking in several directions none of which I could see as the OT position.
Derrick Morgan
Jason Pierre-Paul
Earl Thomas
Joe Hayden

In no particular order. We could use any and all of these guys and have no idea as to how MH has them rated on his big board.

But they all fill the role as talent and need at the #7 position.

Nothing is written in srone but even if the Hawks go Berry, I still can't see us picking the third rated OT in this draft and leaving us a huge hole at OLB. I mean a real, big impact OLB.

I would prefer trading down if Berry is gone but we'd have to find a trading partner to do that.

JMHO

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Pit, I hope we don't take any of those guys at 7. The only guy on that list I think is worth the top 7 pick is Haden and we don't need a new starter at that position this year now. I wouldn't mind trading down a few if Haden or Thomas were our guy, but I don't want Morgan or JPP. If we're taking an OLB I want Graham on the team before eithr of those guys.

R
2nd String
2nd String
R
But, he's from Michigan we will hate him.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
J/C

Did anyone forget the best LBer in the draft. We talking about another Patrick Willis type but meaner!!!!

Alabama's ILB Rolando McClain.

If Berry is gone take McClain,

IMO he is as a sure fire pick as Suh and McCoy.

You dont have to win every game just the next one!
L
Legend
Legend
L
If Berry is gone, McClain is who I want.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
C
1st String
1st String
C
patrick willis?

lol...i love how we already know this guy is an all-pro.

perhaps, we should look at upgrading a position that we dont have ample depth...like DB's or DL. we're on an empty cupboard at FS.....age on the DL is coming to the forefront, and with rogers troubles, another rookie ILB isn't gonna do jack when guards are eating him up.

we're going BPA....and he's not BPA at 7...maybe 15.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

patrick willis?

lol...i love how we already know this guy is an all-pro.

3 x Pro Bowler
2 x 1st team All Pro
1 x 2nd team All Pro

you had a good run Hank.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He was talking about McClain.

I think McClain is very overrated on here. I don' t think he will ever be an elite player.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I think McClain is very overrated on here. I don' t think he will ever be an elite player.

Kind of like how you overate JPP?

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

I agree. I see McClain as more of a free roaming Arrington more of an elite take over the ga,e OLB like Ray Ray or Patrick Willis. But thats just my opinion.

I dont want the Browns to have anything to do with McClain with the 7th pick. They have too many holes to fill to draft a player that would be behind Fujita and DeQuell Jackson on the depth chart. If certain players are taken, I would rather the Browns trade down 10 spots even if it meant them only getting a 3rd rounder out of it. They would get a player with a cheaper contract and draft a player that will be in a position of need that will have a better chance of starting then McClain.

Im not a big fan of the fujita signing either. When I was watching him in NO and saw that he was a FA at a position of need for the Browns, I paid closer attention to him. IMO, I thought he was undersized for the Browns 3-4 and he isnt a game changer. However, I do think he will be the Browns best coverage LB. Something that was a weak spot at the LB position. Wimbley was horrible in coverage, Jackson was average at best, and Bowens seem to be the best one but he wasnt that fast as he use to be.

I doubt the Browns even draft an ILB this year. Like I said earlier, this year there is too many other holes to fill. Bowens will probably be coming off the bench but IMO makes the biggest impact blitzing the passer at ILB and in the running game. They also still have Barton, Trusnik, and Veikune at ILB on the roster. No way they pay McClain 7th pick money with all those players on the roster. Next year though, I think drafting an impact ILB will be a bigger necessity.

I know there is a drop off after McClain at ILB in this draft but I still like the ILB from Penn St. and Spikes out of Florida better. Spikes didnt have good combine numbers but I thought he did better then McClain as far as being a differance maker. I think he is a better blitzer and way better in coverage. McClain is slightly better from sideline to sideline but thats DeQuells strength and he isnt a game changer either. McClain also had better defenders around him then Spikes.

R
All Pro
All Pro
R
Quote:

Im not a big fan of the fujita signing either. When I was watching him in NO and saw that he was a FA at a position of need for the Browns, I paid closer attention to him. IMO, I thought he was undersized for the Browns 3-4

Legalized, you saw what you saw while watching Fujita, but for the record he is listed at 6'5", 250Ibs. link

to compare, Ray Lewis is listed as 6'1", 250Ibs.
link

He's not too small.

"He who buys what he does not need steals from himself."
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
LOL Any minute now, someone is going to crop up and say,, "are you nuts,, you can't compare Lewis to Fujita"

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Are you nuts,, you can't compare Lewis to Fujita

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/04/11/bryant/1.html

Cleveland was scheduled to host Bryant Wednesday morning, before he flew to Denver to meet with Broncos officials. But a source close to the Browns told me last night, "He's no longer on our list. He's not visiting us.''

Legend
Legend
WHAT?! Oh man, what a waste. If Berry and Clausen are gone at #7, we're screwed. We're going to have to reach or trade down now.

Either that or they're dead-set on trading up.

C
1st String
1st String
C
theres alot of other talent at 7 besides berry and clausen, so we're hardly screwed.

this simply reaffirms the fact that we're not interested in head cases anymore.

Legend
Legend
The CB @ Florida would be the next option if a trade down is not available.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Yes, Haden's worth the #7 overall pick but I'd rather have someone who was expected to start this year.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Yes, Haden's worth the #7 overall pick but I'd rather have someone who was expected to start this year.

Eric Wright started his first year as a 2nd round pick, and did well... but you don't think a CB worthy of #7 overall will?

Kinda... odd.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Kiper says we should take Dez Bryant at #7

Link Copied to Clipboard