Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

Could have traded down and still got him. imho

Need someone to trade with before you can move down, We cant just call up Sf and say hey were switching # 1 and your giving me your 3rd to do this ok..

Nobody wanted to move up to # 7 they knew they could wait and move outside the top ten save money and still get thier guy.

What I like is nobody is talking about it, so to me it's solid pick, They only talk when they think we screwed up, so bye the experts shutting thier mouths leads me to believe we got a good guy.

A
All Pro
All Pro
A
Quote:

I personally don't like this pick...Haden is over-rated..he doesn't have elite speed...

im a bit upset...Spiller has Thurman Thomas written all over him...he was clearly BPA at that point...

it took the Bills all but 15 seconds to punch his card...they are laughing at us...

Spiller will be prolific..

figures..Tomlinson falls in our lap and we pass on him, and now we pass on Spiller..typical Browns to pass on a franchise RB that falls in their lap...

this makes me not even want to look forward to this coming season....we haven't had a bonafide RB since Earnest Byner...Jamal Lewis was on his last leg..he limped here from Baltimore..Droughs? please......

don't even tell me Davis, Harrison, or Hillis are franchise RB material...please....they are nothing more then a ham salad sammich....

i can't believe we passed on a franchise RB....unbelievable...

welcome to Cleveland Joe...good luck...

First I too share a lot of the sentiments of this post
I feel like a kid who is TRYING to like his present and really am not excited after the xmas buildup. yeah, for all the talk that Spiller was such a reach at 7 he was gobbled up two picks later. Again for all my lip about Mangini not having a phone this pick of Haden has his mitts all over it. So much for my smarmy analysis. Also this does not bode well for Bmac as I was hoping we got Berry and Bbmac could be the nickle and continue to develop. I now think any development comes in another city.

I wanted Berry, if he was gone, Spiller, if not Spiller one of the many monster OTs available in this draft. Haden as a xmas present is like some sensible clothes but not in colors you prefer, something your mom thought would look god on you. I am underwhelmed. It is not a bad pick, but I can't cheer for it.

I was surprised the WR fell all the way down to the COWBOYS, merry xmas for them. Baluga to the Pack, Merry, merry xmas. The Big Shocker was Denver taking Tebow. There goes ALL my Quinn blather out the door. Why did they even trade for Quinn? Tebow? Did Quinn suck at minicamp? They lost their TE and took the GT wr instead of the top guy, they passed on the big TE who went to Cinci and traded back up for Tebow. Wow.

Ok I will take my Brady Quinn licks, I deserve them as this surely paints different color on his great chance to be THE QB in Denver, as maybe that present was opened at minicamp and the Coach wanted another with a T bow on it.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Nice pick by the Browns. Welcome aboard Joe!!

It was a safe pick..it tells me they had Haden ranked at the top besides Berry..

(On if it came down to Haden or Kyle Wilson) – “We liked both of them. We liked both of them a lot and we think they are both really good players. We just decided to go with Joe, but we think Kyle is a very good player as well.”
Tom Heckert

I heard there was debate and I think MH settled the stalemate.

Last edited by Attack Dawg; 04/23/10 09:15 AM.
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Him and Eric Wright are going to make a great duo for years to come if he pans out. Wright is already a top-flight corner.

I expect Haden to be our nickelback this year (which is basically a starter in today's NFL) eventually taking over for Brown as Brown ages.

Legend
Legend
No wonder Haden's 40 time was slow at the combine.. he didn't have his helmet on. With a helmet on, holding his ears back and limiting drag, he has to be a good 2/10s faster.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:

No wonder Haden's 40 time was slow at the combine.. he didn't have his helmet on. With a helmet on, holding his ears back and limiting drag, he has to be a good 2/10s faster.

Ouch.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
I'm not excited... but I'm glad. If they could've moved back I'm sure they would've considering all precedents. Obviously the one reason why a team would want to move up fell out of the first round.

Best CB in the draft. Strengthens an area that needed it. Good enough for me.

Gotta love the smokescreens Holmgren sent trying to fade people from believing they were going to do something ridiculous like trading up. And then in the end they went and got the guy they were projected to get, good stuff.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Thanks Akronjoe

ThrowLong has good points too

do you all realize how pathetic our Offense has been since Winslow left here? Winslow was our only real threat...BE couldn't catch a cold...

In order to Win the the NFL you have to score points.....

Teams win two ways...with an Elite Franchise Back or a Franchise QB....

Terry Bradshaw had some GREAT RB behind him...that helped him more then anyone will ever realize..FRanco Harris...those guys were the cog in the wheel that made things work...

Spiller i believe is a Franchise back...with a FRanchise back you no longer need an "elite" Qb to win...you just need a slightly above average one...

if you have an elite QB like Manning, then you just need an above average RB (See Edge and Addai)

The Browns had a chance to get a franchise RB...and we passed....

if we had taken Spiller, then suddenly whoever our Qb is doesn't have so much of the burden placed on his shoulders...

the Browns always put way too much on their QB

Colt McCoy (if he is picked by us) has a much better chance of becoming a successful starter for us with a RB like Spiller behind him to run and throw the ball too..

do you folks realize how pathetic our offense is?

my god MoMass is a 3rd WR at best...Robo is a slot receiver...we have no proven RB....

are you guys ready to set the record for the least points scored in a season in NFL History

the Haden pick does not help us NOW

we need to win some games...Spiller helps us do that immedialty...Haden is not going to do that.......

As I have said again, Welcome to Cleveland Joe

but Thios team made a huge blunder and mistake passing on Spiller...check back in 3 years when the kid is putting up Tomlinson type numbers....

Spiller will most likely be the NFL Rookie of the year...look for the kid to come out of the gate strong and tear it up....the kid was BPA and we passed

Im disappointed...Holmgren has a his troy of drafting RB high...He Took Shaun Alexander in the 1st rd with the Seahawks....I didn't think he would pass on a RB the caliber of Spiller........

I just see this as a big blunder on our part....a big one...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
do you all realize how pathetic our Offense has been since Winslow left here? Winslow was our only real threat...BE couldn't catch a cold...

Didn't take me long to realize how pathic your reasoning is..what bust of a offensive player were they supposed to take at 7?
There was none I would have taken there..none.
First U say...

Terry Bradshaw had some GREAT RB behind him...that helped him more then anyone will ever realize..FRanco Harris...those guys were the cog in the wheel that made things work...

Franco Harris was no little back..he was a all purpose type..could carry the ball 25-30 get tough yards.. bowl people over ..he was virtually a complete back..U understand that?
Spiller should never EVER be compared to him or any other back..

Last edited by Attack Dawg; 04/23/10 09:52 AM.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
One thing is for sure, Haden will be able to "HEAR" the defensive calls.. the offensive calls, the dog pound barking, the beer man in the stands..etc!!"

To others-
Haden was a good pick, to fill a hole that needed filling that can be with us for awhile. Yes, there were some other pics that I would have liked to have (Spiller) but when you really look at it, you have to fill your needs in that first round and Haden does that.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Quote:

Didn't take me long to realize how pathic your reasoning is..what bust of a offensive player were they supposed to take at 7?
There was none I would have taken there..none.
First U say...

Franco Harris was no little back..he was a all purpose type..could carry the ball 25-30 get tough yards.. bowl people over ..he was virtually a complete back..U understand that?
Spiller should never EVER be compared to him or any other back..

where did a compare Spiller to Harris? Don't put words in my mouth

Spiller is a different type of back..but he is still probably a franchise back.....

It didn't take me too long to realize you can't understand rational logic. Spiller steps in day one and probably does well....

Haden won't show anything much until the middle of next season if he has what it takes or not...joy...

Rb is the easiest position to translate from College to Pro...Spiller helps us now, and makes us a much much better offense with his blocking, running, and catching abilities matched with shiftyness and pure speed...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Spiller is a different type of back..but he is still probably a franchise back.....

Spiller isn't a LT..so get the "probably" out of there..he 's a threat..but he's not a between the tackle threat..and thats what you want out of a franchise back.

Rb is the easiest position to translate from College to Pro.Spiller helps us now, and makes us a much much better offense with his blocking, running, and catching abilities matched with shiftyness and pure speed...

The Browns already have one small scatback..they don't need another ..they need a back who is bigger can get the tough inside yards and carry the ball 25-30 times..all the other stuff that comes with it ,you shoudl know but apparently U don't.
Watch how they address the offense..U'll be taught a thing or two.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Haden can contribute as a nickelback RIGHT NOW, and a nickelback is basically a starter.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c...

I like this pick.

There's only one guy I would have taken over Haden when we picked, and that's Derrick Morgan.

I think Morgan is going to be an absolute beast.

But, he fell all the way to 16, so maybe there's something about him NFL teams don't like...

Legend
Legend
you committed the cardinal sin of comparing a young player to a legend... you have been here long enough to know the kind of ire that draws from some people.. and even if you didn't "compare them directly" you still implied that they have some similar impact on the game and could in some round about way impact the performance of a QB in a similar fashion... which is of course, blasphemy punishable by death.

yebat' Putin
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Love the pick!! We needed secondary help and got the best CB available. Would've been nice to get Berry but the chances were slim to none that he would be there. Kudos to the FO for being smart.

We still need S,OL,DL, and QB help.

Legend
Legend
in regards to morgan, i had read a lot of stuff that claimed people in the top 10 were a little wary of him only having one year of production. if it were two years like his one, he would have been top 5

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
The Eagles are definitely wanting to get at McNabb with Big Brandon Graham.

As aggressive as their defense is.. I love this pick for them, even though they did have to trade up to get him.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
We took the best, safest player available. After many years of first round busts or underperfomers, I'm ok with a solid, low risk, high reward player like haden.

Spiller would have been interesting but part of his big value is as a returner and it just so happens that we already have the best returner in the league. As a straight RB, Spiller isn't worth the 7.

I would have also been good with McClain...I think he'll be very good.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
There is no probably...the kid is the real deal

I think its funny people like you say he can't run inside

thats all he did his senior year he proved he is more than capable of running inside...he did very very well running inside

I did not directly compare Spiller to Harris...I just said Bradshaw had help from a great back...you don't have to be big to be great....

Spiller is much more than a scatback....size isn't everything in a RB....

Spiller is more than capable of 25+ carries a game....

I am not comparing Spiller to Barry Sanders of Thurman Thomas, but by your logic..those guys are too small

Thurman Thomas was NOT a big running back...you question he wasn't an every down back?

Thurman Thomas was no bruiser at all...yet he more then got the job done...

you have a real problem thinking 3 dimensionally don't you? just can see past the end of your nose......typical

it will be another 3 years or so before another back the caliber of Spiller comes out again..if we lucky...

like I said, just sit back and watch Spiller...you will see indeed....he is Thurman Thomas in the making...thats my comparison....he has the same skillset Thurman Thomas had...he will be a great one...and we could have had him...

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Sorry, a little late to the party

Quote:

I guess this probably means Brown goes to safety

Not according to Mangini. He and Heckert were interviewed after the haden pick and it was shown on All Bets Are Off. That question was asked twice and both times Mangini made it pretty clear that he didn't think that Brown would be moving to Safety.

But, and I'm paraphrasing here, he mentioned that there would be plenty of times that thier coverage calls for 3 or even 4 CB's..

To me it appears that unless Haden unseats Wright or Brown, he's our Nickel. At least to start with. But we all know how quickly that can change..

Yeah and it's going to change VERY quickly!

Just remember Damon, the draft isn't over yet.

Mays and Nate Alan are still on the board. Let's just say you're looking at McCoy, don't you want to send out smoke signals you may still go S in the second?

Until this draft is over, I take every word they say as smoke.

I've said it from day 1 and won't back down on this. IF Berry was off the board, we had two roads we could take. Earl Thomas at #7 or Haden. It would all hinge on which one of these two they had rated higher.

If Hayden was rated higher, you simply pick Hayden and slide Brown over to S. If you have Thomas rated higher, you take him and leave Brown at CB.

It's obvious they had the #1 ranked CB rated higher than the 2nd ranked S and thus the pick.I'm not saying we won't go S in the second with both Mays and Alan there. But I also see other possibilities out there.

McCoy QB, Safford OT, Sergio Kindle LB, Terrance Cody NT. There are more but as you can see, we can address other areas of need at this juncture.

I'm thrilled with the Haden pick! I could actually see us taking McCoy and possibly moving back into the second in order to take Nate Alan later in the second. The possibilities are limitless where we are now!

Welcome to Cleveland Joe!

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
OMG get over it already.

P
Legend
Legend
P
How long you gonna keep whining about Spiller?

It's over dude, let it go!

You still think you're smarter than the FO? I sure as hell don't think many others do.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
O
Not happy.

Now, pick clausen or mccoy and I jump off the bridge.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Yawn...stop already...U would have been better to use the Thomas comparison but U didn't..and even if you do..the Browns drafted the player they had high on their board and would solify the secondary.

you have a real problem thinking 3 dimensionally don't you? just can see past the end of your nose......typical

Actually I know more about drafting from the edge of my short nose than you will from the sphere of your massive ego..

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Promise?

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

How long you gonna keep whining about Spiller?

It's over dude, let it go!

You still think you're smarter than the FO? I sure as hell don't think many others do.

It's ok. He still wants a real "Corporate CEO" to be Browns Prez, I bet.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

In order to Win the the NFL you have to score points....

Baltimore won a super bowl scoring 16 points a game. Not only that but they've been competitive for the last 10 years because of a great defense.

For how bad the offense has been, the defense has been just as pathetic. CB has been a gaping hole for a while. Wright is definitely a keeper but beyond him, the Browns had no long term solutions in the secondary. If Haden sticks, the Browns have two good young corners they can build around.

Also, adding Haden should also allow the Browns to slide Brown to safety, thus plugging two holes with the pick. Find a FS in the next 4 picks and the secondary suddenly doesn't look like a sieve anymore.

What's so bad about taking a "safe" player? Haden is a hell of football player, safe or not. For a guy to perform as well as he did, against the WR's he went up against in the SEC, is a great sign.

Given how the draft shook out, I think CB was the right choice. 4 other corners were taken in the 1st. Is there a corner left who graded out in the top 60 picks? If it wasn't Haden, it was more than likely roll with what we had.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

I spent the first seven picks of the draft more concerned about who I did NOT want over who I DID want.

I am very happy that we did not take a QB, RB, or WR.

I am very happy that we did not trade up.

I would have been ok with a trade down.

I like the Haden pick. He was the best player at his position in a position of need. I believe THAT is the definition of BPA.

I think people forget that our division is full of very good wideouts and pass-catching tight ends.

Our secondary at the end of last season was awful...it now appears to be pretty good...and could be very good with a shiny new safety or two - ones not named Taylor or Mays.

Now I want a S and OT.

O
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
O
Quote:

Promise?

yes

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Spiller played in the pac 10!!! he's the same size if no smaller than JH so we already have our spiller on the team.

Legend
Legend
Clemson isn't in in the PAC 10.

yebat' Putin
O
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
O
By not doing what it would take to go and get Bradford we made a big mistake.

I hope Haden and whoever work out. But, we needed to jump. We had to. We didn't.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I hope Haden and whoever work out. But, we needed to jump. We had to. We didn't.

That's hard to say considering nobody knows exactly what it would take.

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The Browns offered virtually everything they could have. The Rams just had no interest.

I wouldn't have been mad if we had taken Spiller, but Haden makes me much happier. I really don't get why so many are down on the pick. We just added a player who in a couple of years will be a shutdown cornerback.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Pulease.....................

We have a team to build, not a single position. There is still a possibility for us to land what I believe to be "our guy" and if not, a lot of people fell who would help in our "overall team development".

A great QB class next year as well. Bradford isn't the second coming of Christ. And our "team" is more important than selling the farm for one guy.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

We're not at the point where we can trade most of this draft and part of the next one for one player.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Even though that's what we tried to do.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Best pick we could have made. Browns tried really hard to move back, but there were no takers.

can't you change your sig now?

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
i was eh with this pick, recognizing the immediate depth and him probably being the best player available. eh mainly because we did somewhat address cb with sheldon brown for at least a year.

that said, mangini took revis and now he took haden so i'm optimistic.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Browns 1st Round Pick: Joe Haden

Link Copied to Clipboard