Print Thread
#487267 04/22/10 09:57 PM
N
ncdawg Offline OP
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
N
Does the Drafting of Haden mean that we are moving Sheldon Brown to Safety "THIS YEAR"?

I know that when we acquired this guy most thought that he could move to safety if needed. We did not a get Thomas or Berry, Haden and Wright are probably our CB's as I doubt a #7 pick plays nickle........Even if we draft a later round Safety, (3rd or 4th Rounds), this allows an experienced player to move to the back of our D and make sure the young corners are in the right spot. Brown is also known for laying the wood and run support will not be a problem.

Just wanted some thoughts from some of you guys on this and if Sheldon would fit at Safety......actually not just fit.....but make us better........Haden and Wright at Corner, Elam and Brown at Safety, McDonald in the nickel, with a young, later round pick, to learn the Safety position from Brown??????

Born and breed with OSU, App. State alumni, but bleed orange and brown.

Go ARMY......Beat Navy!!!!!!
ncdawg #487268 04/22/10 10:01 PM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I say we sign Darren Sharper and have 3 solid corners.

You need 3 in the NFL AT LEAST. We only had 2.

Ammo #487269 04/22/10 10:06 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I say we sign Darren Sharper and have 3 solid corners.

You need 3 in the NFL AT LEAST. We only had 2.

I'd love Darren Sharper. He's gotten slower, but his instincts are unbelievable. If he isn't good, we can let him go during training camp.

But I don't see how we couldn't use Darren Sharper.

But yeah, I'd also be more than willing to try Brown at FS. He's a good tackler and can play zone coverage. But he could be just as valuable as corner to us. It's a position where depth is great!

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
ncdawg #487270 04/22/10 11:38 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It typically takes a cornerback time to adjust. I expect Haden will be our 3rd corner this year.

ncdawg #487271 04/23/10 12:31 AM
Legend
Legend
Aside from Mangini already saying that No, Brown will not be moving to Safety, I do not think we can or would.

Brown is a vet and will get up to speed MUCH faster than the kid will. IF - and it's a big 'IF' - the kid is able to earn the spot, then we can move Brown to the Slot.

All I care about, however, is that McDonald is NOT a starter any longer. I'd like to see him covering the slot, however. When he first started with us, that is what got him noticed - kinda like Leigh Bodden.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
McDonald has ball skills and needs to be in nickle and dime.

He's simply not a boundry corner.

With that said. I'm still pissed about a few things...not the least of which is where did Coye Francis go or what did he do to earn no playing time?

The guy is tall, has loose hips, has nice acceleration.....

If I was going to put money down on who would be the best draft pick after the preseason it would have been on him.

What happened???

[Linked Image]
ncdawg #487273 04/23/10 01:24 AM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Don't forget safety is a very deep position in this draft. And we still have three 3rd round picks.

Taylor Mays, Nate Allen, Morgan Burnett, Reshad Jones, and Major Wright are all in play tomorrow.

And in the later rounds guys like Myron Rolle, Kyle McCarthy, and Barry Church.

ncdawg #487274 04/23/10 06:48 AM
Legend
Legend

Quote:

Does the Drafting of Haden mean that we are moving Sheldon Brown to Safety "THIS YEAR"?

this clip should answer your question., the answer appears to be NO....

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-cen...93-1f8ba5d5507c

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
cfrs15 #487275 04/23/10 07:03 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Don't forget safety is a very deep position in this draft. And we still have three 3rd round picks.

Taylor Mays, Nate Allen, Morgan Burnett, Reshad Jones, and Major Wright are all in play tomorrow.

And in the later rounds guys like Myron Rolle, Kyle McCarthy, and Barry Church.

that would be a very good idea to select at least one safety in this draft. Conventional wisdom is that you can find a FS in a later round.I'd like to upgrade the SS position too as I'm not sold on Elam as a STARTER.
If Sharper can be signed that would help at least temporarily and one of those 5ths can be used to trade for a vet.??
Adams could be the back-up FS.

Legend
Legend
What got him noticed was shutting down Andre Johnson when he was matched up one on one with him all day in his first significant action. I still think he's been overly villified by the fans for being a 4th rounder not invited to the combine.

I think also with how good Eric wright is he can cover up for flaws with the rest of our defense and it can make mcd look worse than he is.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
coud B Mac bemoved to FS?

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Brandon McDonald is affraid to tackle...how could he ever play FS?

McDonald is either going to upgrade his play or he is gone.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
ncdawg #487279 04/23/10 08:53 AM
D
1st String
1st String
D
Taylor Mays is still on the draft board. He'd be a mighty fine fit back at free safety.
Big kid... fast and strong. 41" vertical leap... If he's there I'd sure take him.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

where did Coye Francis go or what did he do to earn no playing time?

I read some reports last year that said that he has a bit of an attitude. He also blew up over a locker room prank ..... and reportedly took a swing at a teammate. (While the locker room was open to reporters, no less ... Add to that the fact that he only really started one year in college, and he doesn't have a great deal of experience to fall back on.

Further, the kid was kicked off his 1st college team because of a gun incident ... so I woud guess that Mangini also wants to see some maturity in addition to raw talent.

Mangini definitely seems to believe in guys earning their way onto the field ..... and Francies hasn't. (at least not yet) Maybe the prospect of losing his job will kick him in the butt. He has a world of talent ..... but there are a lot of guys with tons of talent cut every year from the NFL.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
mac #487281 04/23/10 10:14 AM
Legend
Legend
Unless he changes his play, he ought to be charged for a PSL. McD is a big reason we couldn't get off the field. We need corners. I approve of the 7th. Our D must be able to get itself off the field. No lead was reliably safe with last year's secondary. They got "better" figuratively stating, in the second half of season when we dialed up more pressure, especially after the beatdown of the Stealers. Hope this guy can blitz when called on. Here we go Brownies! Here we go!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
mac #487282 04/23/10 10:32 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

Brandon McDonald is affraid to tackle...how could he ever play FS?

McDonald is either going to upgrade his play or he is gone.

I'm grasping at straws

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I wanna see McDonald working at McDonalds.

That punk doesn't deserve to be on an NFL franchise.

Ammo #487284 04/23/10 10:47 AM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:

Why is he a punk?

Personally, I want to see McDonald become the nickle corner we need him to be.

Legend
Legend
Me too.. McDonald for the most part is pretty instinctive.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Quote:

Quote:

Why is he a punk?

that's just "ammo talk" for "mcdonald isn't a starting cb"

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
.. " With that said. I'm still pissed about a few things...not the least of which is where did Coye Francis go or what did he do to earn no playing time?..

Never could figure that out either , but then again , I have never been on the same page with Mangini ..

Legend
Legend
Just based on what Gini has said about Brown going to safety... Coye will probably be the 4th/5th CB this year..

No more "old farts" back there... FINALLY! OMG!!

Eric Wright
Sheldon Brown
Joe Haden
Brandon McDonald
Coye Francies

Nice Young Corners w/ a vet leading the way...

Ryan should be able to work with that..

C
Legend
Legend
C
No Hank Poteat or Ralph Brown or Terry Cousins!!! Who will be blame when we lose?!?!?

We still have two guys on the roster who we can blame for losses, Eric Barton and Robert Royal. Though I think it will be hard for both to make the final cut.

dong #487290 04/23/10 02:47 PM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Why is he a punk?

that's just "ammo talk" for "mcdonald isn't a starting cb"

Hell no that's not "Ammo talk."

Not only has Terry Pluto touched on it, but I've seen his ... poor attitude first hand on his Twitter account. Not to mention he's a woman beater.

He's a punk, plain and simple.

Ammo #487291 04/23/10 02:49 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
But as of right now he is a very good 4th corner. Most 4th corner backs don't have 27 starts on their resume.

cfrs15 #487292 04/23/10 02:53 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

No Hank Poteat or Ralph Brown or Terry Cousins!!! Who will be blame when we lose?!?!?

right now Elam is back there by himself. That would be a good place to start

cfrs15 #487293 04/23/10 02:56 PM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

But as of right now he is a very good 4th corner. Most 4th corner backs don't have 27 starts on their resume.

he had 27 starts out of necessity, not talent.

Legend
Legend
Elam has to be replaced...

I'm hoping we can get Morgan Burnett AND Reshad Jones in the 3rd round.

Two new safeties and One new corner.

Legend
Legend
I'd like to take a flyer on Myron Rolle.... and I want Nate Allen in the 2nd.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Ammo #487296 04/23/10 04:18 PM
Legend
Legend
I wish to suggest a different stat, because I do not care for a bunch of McCover. Out of that many starts which I agree were necessity more than skill set or production, how many wins for that number of starts? My gripe, and part is directed at him because of the position, is how many drives were kept alive because in the clutch 3rd down he was thrown at or whiffed a tackle or out of position? Not fair to lay all that lousy on him.
Butg he was consistently go to guy that kept them on the field too often. He needs to get better and add a few other instincts like how to cut a guy in half and press cover effectively. I am arguing for him getting better; I think he has upside. But we can't improve beyond last year with him Ralphing around IMO.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'd like to take a flyer on Myron Rolle.... and I want Nate Allen in the 2nd.

(In other thread as a repeat -- ),... We should have taken him with last year's last pick,.....

Ammo #487298 04/23/10 05:41 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Right. I'm not saying he is a starting caliber player. I'm saying as a 4th corner he has experience. Even he if he shouldn't have started all those games he was still on the field and now, hopefully, use that experience as a 4th corner.

A
All Pro
All Pro
A
"Ralphing" around sucked, but even he was better than McToast. He got to Dance in the Desert.

Go Browns!
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
So Our New Secondary Should look like this then right:

CB: Wright
FS: Mike Adams
SS: TJ Ward/Abe
CB: Brown/Haden
Nickel: Haden/Brown

Go Browns!!

[Linked Image]
Loki #487301 04/24/10 12:32 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

So Our New Secondary Should look like this then right:

CB: Wright
FS: Mike Adams
SS: TJ Ward/Abe
CB: Brown/Haden
Nickel: Haden/Brown

Why would you have Adams at FS, didn't Ward play CB before safety.

I haven't ever watched him play, so I dunno what his strengths are other than that people say he is a hard hitter and good against the run. But if he played CB, I'd assume he can play coverage too. FS zone coverage might be different but I would imagine that Ward would play FS

Although, I think Mangini's one of those guys that doesn't have FS and SS just safety and safety

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
But I guess it depends on who you like more Adams at FS or Abe Elam SS. In reality you're probably wright Mangini doesn't have a FS/SS just two safeties.

Go Browns!!

[Linked Image]
Loki #487303 04/24/10 02:53 PM
M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
I'd rather have Ward/Elam than Ward/Adams or Adams/Elam with Ward subbing in personally if those are the options I'm given.

I kind of like Elam for bringing some big hits last year for a team that sorely needed them but he should be coming in when someone is hurt or in running situations where his lack of coverage ability isn't as much of a liability. We need an upgrade at both safety spots, but at least we (hopefully) have one covered.

I also like Adams as a backup or dime defense player. He seems to do well when he gets limited duty but when we ask him to play full time he starts to struggle. You can probably say the same thing about most teams backup safeties so I'm not concerned if he stays on the team a few more years, unless its as a starter - then I'll be real concerned.

As far as Sheldon Brown playing safety, I have mixed feelings on it. I like him at that position as he has the right mix of coverage ability and desire to lay people out that make for a good safety in the NFL, but in the league right now and especially in the division after we just saw some big time WR's come in we really need more than 2 good corners. The nickel corner will be just about as important as the starting corners for the teams we're going to be playing against this year. Moving him to fill one hole might just create another one equally as big.

But I am really happy about what we've done with the secondary this offseason. We went out and got Sheldon "Bush Whacker" Brown as I'm going to start calling him from now on through a trade. Then, we drafted a guy in Ward who loves to hit people - and Haden isn't afraid to get in there and hit and tackle either like the majority of corners in the league are. If we can duplicate the pressure we got in the last few games of the season our improved on paper secondary should elevate us to a respectable defense. That makes me

This is why I'm giving him the nickname:

And another one just for giggles:

"All I know is, as long as I led the Southeastern Conference in scoring, my grades would be fine." - Charles Barkley
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Our DB's will be capable of putting a serious hurt on guys!

I love it!

M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
Reggie Bush isn't a real big guy but Steven Jackson sure is, and Brown splattered him. I love it

"All I know is, as long as I led the Southeastern Conference in scoring, my grades would be fine." - Charles Barkley
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Brown to Safety?

Link Copied to Clipboard