Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
B
Steve Young needs to GO. He just grates on my nerves. He seems to have a chip on his shoulder and seems too defensive and argumentative. His personality stinks, he's not funny and he just drones on and on and on.

My only other complaint is that Jackson could stand to actually smile and look like he's enjoying himself here and there.

Gruden is doing great, although, as usual, he looks like lazer beams could come out of his eyes at any time.

The rest, in my book, are staples and belong there. I don't care what anyone says about Kiper.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I definitely agree on Gruden, how is it even possible not to like the guy. He has this edginess or almost cockiness to him, but he knows what he is talking about so he's able to back it up. The other guys you ask? Well not so much. I love to have Berman there just for his surprise moments where he blows up on camera, like last night for example.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
Legend
Legend
Jackson needs to quit competing... he needs to shut up and wait his turn to speak instead of interupting everyone..

Boomer got lost a few times.. His act used to be fun but now it's just getting old...

Kiper is Kiper.. he's paid to be what he is,, whatever that is.

I like Gruden a lot. When he speaks it's generally something at least worth listening too.. not always to agree with, but worth the listen.

the Guy they had in Cleveland clearly didn't have much of a clue.. either that or he was embellishing to make it sound more dramatic.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
I watched NFL Network instead of ESPN last night - was my favorite draft broadcast to date.

B
Rookie
Rookie
B
I thought there was a lot of tension between them...Young is pretty defensive. Gruden is just funny!

Jackson just stutters way too much, thats why Young jumps in!
I think Kiper was just distraught over his draft board blowing up in his face..

There's just too many guys trying to know it all, especially when you throw in Mort and Schefter.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I watched NFL Network instead of ESPN last night - was my favorite draft broadcast to date.

+1

NFL Network was awesome.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Did anybody see when the crew were talking about something but ESPN had the microphones on and you could hear someone say "why did they pick him" and then Chris Berman did the "cut cut" motion really quick to the sound man? Then Chris looked at the camera and said "And we're back." It was kind of odd for a billion dollar network to have a mistake in prime time like that.

What about when they had the mic accidentally turned on when Eric Berry was on his phone and you heard him say "Yeah, you know who's my *****" and then it was kind of like you could hear someone else on the other end of the phone talking cuz the mic was picking it up.

B
Rookie
Rookie
B
I did see that...
At the very end of the draft they were doing a recap and Young cut off Jackson..Jackson pouted, you could tell he was angry.

On the following Sportscenter segment, they allowed Jackson to whine for a few minutes about Tebow being drafted, while Young patted him on the back.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Burman needs to stop looking for the next joke...i dont find hm anything close to funny

young needs to stop yelling......

Jackson ...he was there ?

Gruden.......If Mangini dosent work out...Come to Cleveland, point blank tells it like it is......

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
how many times did Steve Young say "in college, receivers are open, in the nfl, they never are"

D
Legend
Legend
D
Why did they have to show the players dancing and styling with the two footballs? It was more than just a little gay, imo ... not that there's anything wrong with that ... but still. More highlights and less dancing would have been better.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
There was a time when ESPN's Draft Ticker at the bottom was stuck.

They were also showing the Vikings on the clock but the info for the Cards right before Detroit traded up.

Gruden was caught saying "Wiseass" on air as well.

Aside from the glitches, they need to stop showing people on their phone.

As for the Crew, Tom and Young were about ready to kill each other. Gruden's scuffle with Kiper about Tebow was entertaining. Kiper talking about his measurables and Gruden talking about his intangibles was great TV.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I thought there was a lot of tension between them...Young is pretty defensive. Gruden is just funny!

yeah, I noticed that too,, most of the tension seemed to somehow be tied to Young..

Quote:

I think Kiper was just distraught over his draft board blowing up in his face..

You would think he'd be used to that happening

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Y
2nd String
2nd String
Y
I like Gruden well enough, but he dominated the mic a little too much. Often I found he was talking over the highlights immediately after the picks when you usually had Mel giving the first words to describe a player.

C
Legend
Legend
C
NFL Network is now the king of the draft.

Eisen is better than Berman. Mayock is better than Kiper. Faulk is better than Jackson. Irvin and Young are equal (although Irvin wasn't as bad as I expected, I wish they would have kept Charles Davis in that spot). The only thing ESPN has going for them is Gruden and the NFL Network has Mariucci who isn't bad.

Also, Jason LaConfora and Michael Lombardi were getting the scoops this year so they canceled out Mort and Schefter.

NFL Network is just flat out better.

All Pro
All Pro
If it were just Gruden, Young, and Kiper it would be interesting. Those other two yahoos just yell all the time and make me want to bash their skulls in with a brick.

What's up with all the yelling on TV these days?

"Let people think this is a dumpster fire," - Mike Pettine
L
Legend
Legend
L
It's the short attention spans we have now. We need yelling or fireworks or something shiny every few minutes or we move on to something else by clicking the remote. TV producers know this.

I much prefer NFL Network's coverage.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

NFL Network is now the king of the draft.

Eisen is better than Berman. Mayock is better than Kiper. Faulk is better than Jackson. Irvin and Young are equal (although Irvin wasn't as bad as I expected, I wish they would have kept Charles Davis in that spot). The only thing ESPN has going for them is Gruden and the NFL Network has Mariucci who isn't bad.

Also, Jason LaConfora and Michael Lombardi were getting the scoops this year so they canceled out Mort and Schefter.

NFL Network is just flat out better.

Add in Deion Sanders too. I know some don't like him....but I've always been a fan of his since he came out of FSU.

It was kinda cool to see "The Cornerback" interviewing our new cornerback on the stage right after the pick. They looked like the same height.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I agree, I prefer to watch NFLN. Mayock is great to listen to.

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

+1

NFL Network was awesome.

Damn you Time Warner!

and as someone else pointed out, I don't understand why ESPN had the players dancing.....? strange

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
I watched the ESPN coverage last night but will be watching the NFL Network tonight. Aside from Gruden the rest of those talking head get annoying after so long.

Did anyone catch Gruden say "Most NFL coaches are dumbasses" before Berman quickly changed the subject?

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

Damn you Time Warner!

this......

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
i don't even bother. mike mayock and nfl network all the way.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

I agree, I prefer to watch NFLN. Mayock is great to listen to.

Yeah, and Mayock called the Jacksonville pick. I thought Alualu would go in round 1, but wouldn't have guessed top 10. Jason La Canfora also did a great job - either guessing or knowing who a few of the surprise picks.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Isn't it pretty much the same crew every year?

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Quote:

Did anyone catch Gruden say "Most NFL coaches are dumbasses" before Berman quickly changed the subject?

No but I wish I had

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Quote:

The extremely well done "QB Camp" on ESPN provided a rare glimpse of "Chucky," the snarling, scowling, tell-it-like-it-is version of Jon Gruden. On Thursday night, Chucky made another cameo appearance. Apparently unintentionally.

As pointed out by Dan Levy of SportingNews.com, Gruden said while talking to Mel Kiper, "It's a crazy league, a lot of dumbass coaches."

Gruden likely didn't realize his mic was hot, and Chris Berman quickly moved the discussion along, just as the word "dumbass" was uttered.

It's further proof that Gruden's Monday night "there are positives about everybody, and I try to find them" routine is a load of crap. He's gratuitously positive in game broadcasts because he doesn't want to burn bridges back to NFL coaching jobs. And though he's very good despite always focusing on the bright side, they'd rename the Emmys the Chuckys if Gruden would simply let his alter ego out of the closet a little more often.

Nevermind Florio's load of crap at the end... but

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/23/gruden-bemoans-nfl-dumbasses/

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Steve Young needs to GO. He just grates on my nerves. He seems to have a chip on his shoulder and seems too defensive and argumentative. His personality stinks, he's not funny and he just drones on and on and on.

Hardly anyone else could a word in sideways! He took over the whole damned thing and it started grading on everyone else there. People I respect much more in regards to the actual draft were silenced by Young and I'm surprised Jackson didn't get up and smack him right in the chops!

Quote:

My only other complaint is that Jackson could stand to actually smile and look like he's enjoying himself here and there.

I really don't blame him. (see above) Plus Jackson is a Denver guy who plainly stated before the draft that Teebow was not NFL QB material. So I could see his attitude not being so good from that point forward anyway. Of course Jackson never really had a chance to expound his position on many things because Young still thinks "he's the QB".

Quote:

Gruden is doing great, although, as usual, he looks like lazer beams could come out of his eyes at any time.

That and the fact there isn't a QB he DOESN'T love!

Quote:

The rest, in my book, are staples and belong there. I don't care what anyone says about Kiper.

Oh Kiper belongs. I just got a kick out of him being miffed over Claussen.

Here's a nice twist I'd like to see for next year. Exit Steve Young. Make The Swammi the central moderator and put Todd McShay on the panel. To me, that would make a better overall group.

JMHO

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
What the hell just happened to Mayock's voice?

Was it like that the whole time?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
j/c
i ended up watching more espn coverage then the nfl network. Too much yelling on the nfl network and Deion just tends to annoy me. I found it a plus that espn seemed to have more interviews with Holmgren, unless i just missed it on the nfl network.

i guess i just like the old stanby crew, Berman and Jackson. I don't care much for McShay, and he doesn't have a very large role this year.

H
1st String
1st String
H
espns ticker is far superior to NFl networks. It was hard to keep track of the picks with The NFL ticker

D
2nd String
2nd String
D
The NFL needs to decree that networks cannot tip who a team is going to draft. No showing players on cell phones, or announcing picks before the commish does.

Also, between the Thurs./Friday and Saturday crews, the ESPN has a great draft team.

The team should be Kiper, Jaws, Gruden, Jackson and Wingo, with Mcshay working the big board back at Bristol and Mortensen and Schefter as the beat journalists.

Steve Young appeared lost, it seemed he did not know the players names, and brought up information that was not relevant on the draft. While he may be a great broadcaster, it appeared that the draft is not where he invests his time.

It also appeared the chemistry between Jackson and Young was not there. It made me uncomfortable.

Berman has done a lot of great work in the past, however it was evident that Wingo is better at this point. Wingo on Saturday led the conversation, directed who talked, and was funny when he needed to be.

Part of the problems with Thursday, it seemed was that the group did not have a strong facilitator.

Legend
Legend
The word facilitator.should never be used in conjunction with anything even remotely related to sports.

Ever.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
2nd String
2nd String
D
Quote:

The word facilitator.should never be used in conjunction with anything even remotely related to sports.

Ever.

Guess, I missed something. I used the word in the context of leading a discussion. Which is exactly one of the definitions. This is from dictionary.com

a person responsible for leading or coordinating the work of a group, as one who leads a group discussion: Each committee will meet with its facilitator.

Legend
Legend
Facilitator has become the new "in" word in business. Now, in training and group meetings, we don't have teachers, instructors, or group leaders .... now we have "facilitators".

In most cases, the "facilitator" is an instructor of one type or another ..... only, for some reason, now they don't want to be acknowledged as such.

I think that it's just a ridiculous word, especially when applied to sports. Sports have anchors, announcers, reporters, sideline reporters, analysts .... but not freakin' "facilitators".

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
O
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
O
Just clicking, i think they should all talk a lot less, especially about players who haven't been picked yet. They don't keep up with the picks, especially on Saturday. They should stop try to explain why some one hasen't been taken yet and concentrate way more on the people who actually have.

After about three picks the second day I swiched to the NFL channel to here who was ACTUALLY pick, not listen to them BS why someone hasen't or were theyshould go. The bottom line is just do the reporting on what has actually taken place up to the minute. I don't want to hear about players until they are picked.

G
All Pro
All Pro
G
ESPN crew was uncomfortable to watch. Berman seemed ticked off at the whole time - his attempt to put on his "game face" when on camera was an obvious act. Jackson was disconnected. Young added no substance. Their was absolutely no chemistry. I thought it was really bad. (I actually preferred their Saturday crew much more.)

Thursday & Friday I watched the NFL Network.

C
Legend
Legend
C
NFL Network's crew on Friday, I think, was better than Thursday's.

Eisen, Charles Davis, Billick, Corey Chavous, and Mayock were really good.

D
2nd String
2nd String
D
Quote:

Facilitator has become the new "in" word in business. Now, in training and group meetings, we don't have teachers, instructors, or group leaders .... now we have "facilitators".

In most cases, the "facilitator" is an instructor of one type or another ..... only, for some reason, now they don't want to be acknowledged as such.

I think that it's just a ridiculous word, especially when applied to sports. Sports have anchors, announcers, reporters, sideline reporters, analysts .... but not freakin' "facilitators".

I think it is absolutely ridiculous that you called me out for using a word you don't like.

Berman is directing and leading the discussion. He is a facilitator. Sports have nothing to do with it. Sorry.

Legend
Legend
Watched most. The 3-day setup hurt our club because of the time and limited viewing. This is when we did a bunch of our membership renewal for the BB and charity werk as well. Steve Young was horrible and even my wife hated him. Never has so much been said about so little so often at such length than when he belabored a point, sometimes only apparent to himself, and several times, just flat out wrong. Needs an eggtimer planted squarely somewhere it cannot be ignored. His 3rd round stuff was painful to watch. The 4th round was incredibly bad and all that is wrong IMO with the typical ESPN judgment: Too many non-event stories trying to give us "manufactured artificial drama." The endless cuts to QBs: Thiws just in! XYZ has STILL not been selected!" Then go to microphone with blonde attached to discuss how the Unchosen "feels" at that time, "feels" about the future, and feels about feeling coast-to-coast or whatever. None of which I care to see or hear; all of which prevents me finding out current picks. Round four was a debacle for ESPN; extended pointless interviews, blown graphics obscuring current picks, only good part was less Steve Young. Saturday's mix was better. Maybe about five less talking heads.
Just because it succeeded by increasing some viewing, that is not an imperative or referendum for more change. That suffers from "new is automatically superiort hinking", a fallacy that brought us the BCS and Steve Young. Right up there with Theisman, Sims, and "I Can't Shut Up" Aikman.
But other people have strong feelings, moreso than me self.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) So what do you think about the ESPN crew?

Link Copied to Clipboard