A
Ward could out run Mays in reverse.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

Quote:

So far what I have read about this guy is he is an injury prone Taylor Mays without the speed.

Exactly

Then I have no idea what you are reading.

you had a good run Hank.
Legend
Legend
Man, I am STEAMING after this stupid pick.

Obvious "Crap.....Allen is gone.....well just take the next safety on the board." Skipped right over BPA and went with a need. And the guy is a made of glass too. Awful.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Sounds like a good pick IF he can stay healthty.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

Obvious "Crap.....Allen is gone.....well just take the next safety on the board." Skipped right over BPA and went with a need. And the guy is a made of glass too. Awful.

I'm curious, who would you have picked?

you had a good run Hank.
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
This kid can hit. Lets just hope he can stay healthy so he can lay out Chad Johnson, and Hines Ward.

[color:"white"]I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane -Waylon Jennings
C
All Pro
All Pro
C
Quote:

Yeah it just get's old watching them consistantly reach on 2nd round picks. I can't think of one 2nd rounder that has really been a stud for us........hell DQ is the closest thing that comes to mind, and he is avg. at best.

Rahim Abdullah?

D
1st String
1st String
D
This is the damndest draft I can ever remember. After the first 5 rounds... Nobody... and I mean nobody was able to figure out who was going where.
I remember not very long ago,... everyone was trying to decide who was going number one... Bradford, McCoy, or even Claussen.
There are quite a few "first rounders" still on the board yet.
Crazy, crazy draft.
But a helluva lot of fun.
Ok... Third round... Tony Pike

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
i can't even find a highlight reel on this kid...

just a few youtube clips of him knocking people out...

here is his

Injury Report
2009: Missed five games with an ankle injury.

2006: Missed the majority of the season with a knee injury.

2004: Suffered a season-ending knee injury during his senior year of high school.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
N
Rookie
Rookie
N
It's easy to say the Browns should have just moved down, but of course that requires a partner. If they couldn't, then just take BPA. Part of the draft is not just knowing who the best players are but recognizing where your competitors value players - and sometimes you just have to roll the dice. If they liked Ward so much, chances are he would have been there in the 3rd.

Browns clearly got trumped twice in this draft by teams pick safeties one (Phila) or two (KC) picks before them.

C
All Pro
All Pro
C
Quote:

Quote:

I'm curious, who would you have picked?

I would have been much happier with Taylor Mays. Good cover corners (which we seem to have now) would have masked his weaknesses.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

i can't even find a highlight reel on this kid...

just a few youtube clips of him knocking people out...

here is his

Injury Report
2009: Missed five games with an ankle injury.

2006: Missed the majority of the season with a knee injury.

2004: Suffered a season-ending knee injury during his senior year of high school.

Well, his knee has been fine for 4 years now and the ankle injury sounds more like a sprain.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Typical overreactions.

Calling him Viekune of this draft is insanity. He will be a great pick for us.

If you can keep him healthy and on the field you mean?

It was a reach pick that I wouldn't have had too much of an issue with. But when you combine some reach WITH major injury history? Well, I think it was a poor choice.........

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I have to disagree. Mays is the kind of guy who exposes the middle of your defense, and get you beat a lot over the middle.

I think I might have gone with a DE (or a DT that will play DE in a 3-4) at that pick ..... or maybe a WR. I'm willing to give Heckert the benefit of a doubt here.

Mays finally goes at 49.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Don't really know Ward but I hope our FO knows what they are doing.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
Legend
Legend
So we passed on Mays, a 6'3" 4.35/40 for Ward, a 5'10" 4.5/40?

#GMSTRONG
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

Quote:

Typical overreactions.

Calling him Viekune of this draft is insanity. He will be a great pick for us.

If you can keep him healthy and on the field you mean?

It was a reach pick that I wouldn't have had too much of an issue with. But when you combine some reach WITH major injury history? Well, I think it was a poor choice.........

The only reason he was a reach was BECAUSE of his injury history. That is literally the only knock on him is that he cannot stay healthy. If he becomes a little more of a centerfielder, then he won't be getting hurt as much.

you had a good run Hank.
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

Mays is a physical freak, no doubt. However, I remember hearing a lot of people saying that Ward is just a better football people.

you had a good run Hank.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

Are you Al Davis?

D
1st String
1st String
D
Quote:

Quote:

Mays is a physical freak, no doubt. However, I remember hearing a lot of people saying that Ward is just a better football people.

How bout special teams... (gunner.. lead blocker) then nickel, then when he gets his head on right.. a starting free safety.
We missed the boat, IMHO

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
the knee may be fine now however he did have 2 major surgeries on his knee.

who knows what will happen in the NFL. Hopefully, he will never have another injury again

P
Legend
Legend
P
No it hasn't. It required two surgeries to repair that knee and was still hampered by it in 2007. So he only played ST's and a back-up because of it.

Bottom line? He only managed to stay healthy and play healthy ONE out of FOUR years in college.

So you just keep making excuses for the pick if you want, but it was a HUGE risk to pick this kid here with so much talent still left on the board.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
check this out...

http://www.tjwardfootball.com/

he compares himself to TROY POLAMALU

Last edited by superbowldogg; 04/23/10 07:40 PM.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
KC is having one HECKUVA draft! Man they are looking tough...

This IS NOT the draft to reach for 4th rd talent in the 2nd rd...

123 Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A few videos

oioioioi
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Quote:

check this out...

http://www.tjwardfootball.com/

he compares himself to TROY POLAMALU

My 12 yr old is good with PowerPoint slide shows as well... And I compare myself to Ron Jeromy...

Last edited by DawgStyle44; 04/23/10 07:42 PM.
All Pro
All Pro
JC... So far I am not wowed at all.
But at least we did not take Clausen or McCoy.
Hope this kid can do it in the NFL.
Same knee both injuries? Was the ankle the same leg??
I agree it seems a reach. But what was the reason for Mays being on the board so long?
Ho-hum another day in the life of a Browns fan.

Einstein could not even fathom the mathematical improbabilities of the Browns woes.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
lol.......The guys who are constant homers will defend this no matter what........just like the constant bashers will bash the good picks.

It was a reach pick. The kid hasn't been healthy since HS, and there was a boat load of real talent on the board. It's the same old song and dance around here.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Boom or Bust... DANG I wish we would chase a pick that was a slider rather than reaching 1-2 rds too soon... We coulda had the man of glass with one of our 3rds if we wanted him so bad

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Some of you guys are something else. It's pretty clear to me that if Ward WAS NOT the BPA on the Browns board, Then we would have chosen someone else. How hard is that to understand? Just because some of you don't like the pick does not make it wrong. I trust the powers that be much more than a bunch of arm chair QB's. Have fun wrecking the rest of the draft.

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Quote:

We coulda had the man of glass with one of our 3rds if we wanted him so bad

How do you know this? If the Browns thought they could get him with one of the third rounders, they obviously would have waited until then.

[color:"white"]I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane -Waylon Jennings
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

No it hasn't. It required two surgeries to repair that knee and was still hampered by it in 2007. So he only played ST's and a back-up because of it.

Bottom line? He only managed to stay healthy and play healthy ONE out of FOUR years in college.

So you just keep making excuses for the pick if you want, but it was a HUGE risk to pick this kid here with so much talent still left on the board.

Relax, I'm not trying to make excuses for anybody. He was moved to the safety position in 08' and hasn't had an issue with his knee since.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I agree, Pluto is reporting that they had him rated before Allen and Mays. The guy is good. Those saying he is a fourth rounder are going by what Mayock said. While the injuries are a concern, it seems the knee has healed. I find it funny how many poster, many who have no idea about this guy are bashing the pick. Mays is a bone head, this kid is smart and from the tape it sire looks like the hammer we've wanted in the defensive backfield for years. Mays has a recognizable name so many run with that as their only knowledge of the player.

Heckert is smart, and I have to believe he did his homework on this guy. I am so glad they are beefing up the DBs. Now I hope a good Olineman is at the top of the board.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Some of you guys are something else. It's pretty clear to me that if Ward WAS NOT the BPA on the Browns board, Then we would have chosen someone else. How hard is that to understand? Just because some of you don't like the pick does not make it wrong. I trust the powers that be much more than a bunch of arm chair QB's. Have fun wrecking the rest of the draft.

I agree.

I see that he's missed some time, but before anyone gets picked heavy duty medical evaluations are made. I don't think we're gonna pick a guy in the 2nd that we expect to be injured the whole time.

Obviously we expect him to play, and I think he will probably start Day 1.

Heckert is running the draft and picking guys that will fit Mangini's style of coaching/ style of defense. I like Heckert and have faith in his picks. I liked Joe Haden a lot. We couldn't get Berry, he was the next guy i wanted.

So I'll stay with my faith in TJ Ward. You have my full support TJ.

I do wonder if Nate Allen was higher on our board

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
NRTU.........

The last Steelers pick has had four knee-surgeries.

Just saying...........

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
AHHH! A breath of fresh air. It's funny how a whole team of scouts plus the experience of the FO just goes off the deep end & takes a safety that they don't want just to make some people mad!

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
All Pro
All Pro
I find it funny that people who are not enamored with the pick are being bashed by other armchair QB's.

Einstein could not even fathom the mathematical improbabilities of the Browns woes.
B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
Quote:

Quote:

I agree.

I see that he's missed some time, but before anyone gets picked heavy duty medical evaluations are made. I don't think we're gonna pick a guy in the 2nd that we expect to be injured the whole time.

Obviously we expect him to play, and I think he will probably start Day 1.

Heckert is running the draft and picking guys that will fit Mangini's style of coaching/ style of defense. I like Heckert and have faith in his picks. I liked Joe Haden a lot. We couldn't get Berry, he was the next guy i wanted.

So I'll stay with my faith in TJ Ward. You have my full support TJ.

I do wonder if Nate Allen was higher on our board

Took the words out of my mouth... Almost word for wored by the way...

D
1st String
1st String
D
Here come Colt McCoy

D
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
D
we trade up for a running back

Go Browns !!!!
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Browns 2nd Round Pick I: TJ Ward

Link Copied to Clipboard