Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Quote:

Quote:

and when they did trade up for Hardesty.. they had to take a HUGE reach for Lavaou, I guess thinking that he won't make it to the 5th round..

Heckertt kept saying "Im going BPA no matter what and not need. I learned from that mistake in Philly." Im no expert, but I dont see it at any pick. To me it looked like they were chasing players so they wouldnt lose out. Haden was my favorite pick but it didnt excite me. I think the draft room unraveled after KC took Berry. The Ward pick makes me think that.

I agree. Although they may have had Haden as the BPA in the first after that I would truly start to question that they were going BPA in the 2nd round.
I wouldnt have had a huge problem with the trade back up in the 2nd round (in fast still dont) except for the fact that to me it felt like even if the RB didnt fall another what 13 picks we could have done just as well waiting it out and having a few more picks today to play around with.

Someday perhaps we will be more like NE and get our guys and also restock for next year getting a 1st and 2nd rounder instead of a bunch of 5ths and 6ths.

If you need 3 years to be a winner you got here 2 years to early. Get it done Browns.
Legend
Legend
The more I think about this pick the moreI think that I like (but don't love) the pick. I think that I think tthat it was a really good value for the position in the draft where he was picked, and I think that he was woirth the risk given that draft position.

I think that he os a quality person who will work his butt off, and definitely has the leadership aspect down pat. His arm is my question. I think that he can tighten up his throws and make up for some lack of arm strength.

If I had to bet for or against him having a successful NFL career as a starter, I think that I'd out those odds at about 55-60% in favor of him making it. I think that those are pretty good odds for a 3rd rounder ... especially a QB.

I think.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
what game do we start hearing McCoy chants?

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
It depends on if he has 1 big game (or even 1 big play) against a 3rd string defense in pre-season .......

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

what game do we start hearing McCoy chants?

Never. It's easier to chant "Colt! Colt! Colt!"

Legend
Legend
It's just too bad he won't be able to wear the number 45.

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Holmgren has stated he's no longer coaching and will not work with Colt, I cry BS!!!! You know darn well that as close as this regime has seemingly become that Holmgren will have his time with McCoy!

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Quote:

Mike Holmgren
(On rating Colt McCoy)- “Excellent. Very impressive young man. Very impressive guy. Clearly cares, very productive.”

Mike Holmgren
(On McCoy’s arm strength)- “On the arm strength, all the quarterbacks we talked to are a little bit different. I’ve had the privilege of coaching a guy who threw it as hard as anybody in Brett (Favre) and then a guy who always said didn’t have the rocket arm but may be the best quarterback who ever lived in Joe Montana. I’ve had a real positive experience with arm strength. Arm strength to me, if the person can get the ball to you on time and all that kind of stuff, while you have to be able to pass the ball, having a rocket for an arm isn’t the number one thing. Colt falls somewhere in the middle, I would guess that, but he is really an impressive young guy. He is.”

http://blogs.theobr.com/

Quote:

It was Holmgren, the Browns president, who convinced McCoy Cleveland would be the best location in the nation for him. McCoy wasn't just preening for the Cleveland media Friday night, because he said the same thing on an Atlanta radio station last week.

"Coach Holmgren kind of compared me to Steve Young and Joe Montana and just said that I have the intangibles they had at this point in their careers when they were coming out of college,' McCoy said on 790 The Fan. "He expects me to be just like they were."

http://www.news-herald.com/articles/2010/04/24/sports/nh2412209.txt

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I was really impressed by the kid in his little session with John Gruden. Humble, smart and easily picked out and corrected his mistakes when Gruden ran film on him.It's always a risk and it's about time we take a kid and not ruin him!

McCoy has better talent beginning to form around him than anyone previous to him.

Good luck to the kid, he has a chance to become a beloved player in this town ala Sipe and Kosar!

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
more important to me is that mccoy is coming in with everyone understanding he has strengths and weaknesses. he's going to earn everything. he wasn't a 1st round pick and he wasn't someone like quinn where the media knew they had to praise but didn't know how, and ultimately stayed with that "most nfl-ready" tag. no one is expecting him to be a kosar or sipe but we do expect him to learn, be a great teammate, and learn from one of the best qb people in the league.

mccoy is in a great situation here as the 3rd qb for this season.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

what does it matter what pick he was drafted?

You had to follow the conversation but in a nutshell, picking McCoy in the 3rd, there is less pressure for him to be a success in a hurry than if you take him in the first..

that was my point.

As a rule, I'm not one of those guys that worry to much about where a guy is taken.. if you take him in the 7th and he produces,,, great,,, if the same guy didn't fall out of the 1st and you take him and he produces.. great..

it's only when they don't succeed that it matters.. taken in the first and fails..OUCH.. Taken in the 7th and doesn't succeed, ehh,, stuff happens...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

And remember.....In college everybody is open, but in the NFL nobody is open.......

It's just as funny reading these posts....Hate the guy, love the guy, waste of a pick great pick....

I'll bet the Coltster got tired of hearing Steve Young say that too. He would have thrown a football through the TV screen but he didn't have the arm strength

Y
2nd String
2nd String
Y
Quote:

It depends on if he has 1 big game (or even 1 big play) against a 3rd string defense in pre-season .......

lol.. that is sadly, so true.

S
Legend
Legend
S
not high on the guy as an nfl qb, but as a third round gamble, i'm ok with it.

i think we just gotta lay faith into mike holmgren's knowledge and instincts here.

considering we signed delhomme for 2 years at starter money, this pick makes a lot of sense.

i think overall this draft had mangini's 2 cents... he was probably tired of seeing this team blow 3rd and longs over and over and over, so they went deep in the secondary.

love that we took a wr late too. seems like good solid wideouts can be found there, and we could sure use it.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

he was probably tired of seeing this team blow 3rd and longs over and over and over, so they went deep in the secondary.

So was I. Third and 15 throw a 25 yard pass no problems.

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
Just Clicking

I gotta laugh a little..

Listen to one media guy,, McCoy is accurate, strong armed, mobile and smart with great intangibles.

Listen to another Media guy,, McCoy is accurate, weak armed, moble, lacks intangibles but is smart.

I watched video of the guy and he seemed to have enough arm to throw it downfield accurately with some good zip. he seemed to have a quick release, seemed mobile and according to Gruden, he's a student of the game and has the smarts...

He's a young kid,, I'd very much like to have him sit and learn for a year..maybe more...

in a way, we are lucky.. we have Delhomme and Wallace,, so unless a complete desaster takes place, we have the time to develop him right...,

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
BEREA, Ohio -- Cleveland Browns president Mike Holmgren says the team has no plans to play Texas quarterback Colt McCoy as a rookie.

The Browns selected McCoy in the third round on Friday, nabbing him after he slid to the No. 85 overall pick. Although Cleveland fans may already be clamoring to see McCoy play, Holmgren cautions that it would be a mistake to put him on the field before he's ready.

Holmgren, who has coached Hall of Famers Joe Montana and Steve Young and Brett Favre, said teams run the risk of "scarring" a young quarterback by playing him too soon.

Cleveland signed free agent Jake Delhomme during the offseason as its starter and acquired Seneca Wallace from Seattle to be his backup.

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
I just saw that myself. Holmgren isnt going to mess this kid up year 1 and Im happy about it. Actually starting to sound and act like a functional team.

If you need 3 years to be a winner you got here 2 years to early. Get it done Browns.
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Quote:

Quote:

the "Mangini rolled his eyes" comment threw me off...

Mangini's getting more input on this draft than I thought he would.

I am curious to what everyone elses perceptions were of the Draft conclusion conference with the new Cleveland Browns Trio.

Some a couple of points/impressions I have are;

1) It appears that they are functionng the way they are suppose to. Mangini sets the precedence for the type of players to meet the program, Heckert analyzes the information and establishes the picking order, Holmgren provides advice and helps to guide everything in the right direction.

2) Holmgren allowed Mangini significantly more influence on the choice of players than anyone on this board thinks he should have. This is from the statement mentioned here about Mike asking if he could have his QB now and Mangini "rolling his eyes". He then clarified that; if he (EM) and Heckert decided not to take him (Colt McCoy) he would have been ok with it.

3) The reason Mangini did not want McCoy may be evidenced when Holmgren said, after being asked if he felt the "buzz" being created by the pick. Holmgren said something to the effect that, "Yea, Eric leaned over and said to me that you know this pick is going to create a stir at QB".

To me, I think Mangini gets Cleveland "Fans" very well and did not want any QB controversy this year. The only way he saw to do that is by having only QB's who had specific roles (JD as starter, SW 1st backup, and BR 2nd backup) and draft everthing else "but" a QB. They are serviceable until he builds the lines and adds depth.

Anyway, what your thoughts?

Hears to hoping Dorsey is the Browns Ozzie Newsome.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Yeah but it's the dysfunctional fans who start screaming for him like idiots that concern me!

Organizational ideas have changed and fans need to adjust their thinking also!
(that'll happen )

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
On a sidenote...unrelated to ability...

Is there a better name for a QB than "Colt McCoy?"

Legend
Legend
Lightning McQueen?

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Quote:

LOL yeah now when pittsburgh/balt/cinci come to town he can say
"We don't like your kind round these here parts"

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'm already a fan of McCoy just because he said dadgum in his conference call.

Legend
Legend
One thing for sure, Holmgren isn't weak like Policy and Clark..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

Yes there is Ammo,he's father's name is Stallion,or Stud for short.Married tp the lovely Mare Mccoy.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
Legend
Legend
I wouldn't mind seeing his girlfriend in the stands

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I wouldn't mind seeing his girlfriend in the stands

Let me guess, her name is Whinny.

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J/C

Two things stick out about this pick: "Winning-est quarterback in NCAA history."

And this:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

Okay I've read the entire thread. Heard it all.............

Surprised I haven't seen what I'm preparing to type here, but when emotions take over, you'll have that from time to time.

I want to bring something totally new here to the table. Some will like it, some won't. Me? I don't care!

I see a team in our division who "did it right" in regards to the QB position. What they did, is go out and sign a kid in the third round for two main reasons. He had a pretty good overall skill set and he was a value in the third round.

What they did, was give this kid a year. They saw how he developed and had to make a judgement on wheather he was or was not franchise QB material. What they found was that he was a "borderline type" of QB. Close to being starting material, yet not convinced he was of such high quality they thought they could depend on him to take them all the way.

So what did they do? They went out the very next year and drafted a higher rated QB in round 1 and have the best one/two QB punch within our division! They don't have to freak out if their starter goes down. And since they got that back-up in the third round, they have quality depth at QB for a VERY cheap price!

That team? The Baltimore Ravens. So people can say what they will, but with where we drafted Colt, we can give him a year to let him develop. We can see what we do or don't have in him. By the end of this season, our FO and HC will be able to know what they have here and act accordingly. His progress and how quickly he develops will be crystal clear to them. At that point they can act accordingly.

What's the worst that could happen? We end up with a top notch franchise QB next year and have McCoy as high quality depth at the QB position for years to come on the cheap?

And that's a bad thing with a late third rounder?

Baltimore doesn't think so and we keep chasing them. Now we have a chance to catch up at least in the QB category.

jmho

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

I just saw that myself. Holmgren isnt going to mess this kid up year 1 and Im happy about it. Actually starting to sound and act like a functional team.

i'm glad he came out and said it, he may not have been in cleveland before, but he knows how things go with the media and fans.

and mangini has got to like that holmgren came out and did what he wished he could do. but everyone knows that some seem to have it out for the guy, and wouldn't stop with the questions if he said that there is zero chance of mccoy playing.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I talked about that last night with a fellow fan up in Cleveland.

The worst-case scenario is that McCoy grows up to be a backup.

Accurate, smart, athletic, and a little small. A guy like that can hang on in this league for a long time.

I think he will be good...not great. He may end up a long-term starter...maybe not.

I think the Browns will take the exact approach that you laid out.

Not a bad move at all with a late third-round pick.

Btw, we (maybe) started to do that with Frye...then Quinn. It just didn't work.

O
Legend
Legend
O
She looks a little like Romo's ex-gf...

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
Just listened to the entire 29 minute presser from last night with Mangini and Holmgren.. I gotta tell you, if these two guys don't get along, then they do an incredible job of faking it

I won't explain,, better you hear it for yourselves... Reading Holmgrens words and hearing him say them,,, incredible difference....

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Here's a list for you all:

joe montana - HOF and possibly GOAT
steve young - HOF
brett favre - HOF
mark brunell - Bum
aaron brooks - Bum
matt hasselbeck - Pro bowler
kurt warner - Probabally HOF

Have all been under holmgren's tutelage. 5/7 with 4 of them being HOF is pretty damn good.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

steve young - HOF
brett favre - HOF
mark brunell - Bum
aaron brooks - Bum

Have all been under holmgren's tutelage. 5/7 with 4 of them being HOF is pretty damn good.

Mark Brunell a bum? Furrealz?

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

steve young - HOF
brett favre - HOF
mark brunell - Bum
aaron brooks - Bum

Mark Brunell wasn't a total bum, he had a few years of success in the NFL, as did Aaron Brooks. It's also really hard to say that he had any impact on Warner seeing as he only had him for about a month.

you had a good run Hank.
Legend
Legend
Ehh... maybe not a bum but mediocre but still that list is pretty damn impressive

Legend
Legend
For once I'm gonna agree with Ammo.. Brunell wasn't a bum, he had about 6 or 7 pretty good years..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
P
Legend
Legend
P
What about Brock Huard?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Browns 3rd Round Pick I: Colt McCoy (QB)

Link Copied to Clipboard