Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
And there's your OL for those who were waiting.

O
Legend
Legend
O
He's a tackle?

ESPN's draft chat thingy disagrees. I was confused.

Last edited by oobernoober; 04/23/10 09:54 PM.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
What the heck?? No wide receiver

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
CBS has him as a guard:

Quote:

Positives: Has a massive, thick frame with a thick chest and arms, thighs and calves … Shows good short area quickness and balance for a player his size, displaying the agility to quickly adjust to counter moves … More of a position-&-wall off type of players, using his size effectively to gain movement off the snap … Has developed a strong hand punch to stall the bull rush and uses his hands with great effectiveness to control and sustain … Gets good leg drive and movement, staying low in his pads on run blocks … Is a bit heavy-legged, but has the functional burst to pull and impact on the edge, doing a very good job of sealing up inside … Has enough short area quickness to come out and attack the linebackers in the second level … Has the ability to adjust on the move and shows adequate lateral slide … Flashes a very good hand set and punch to stop the pass rush charge and demonstrates the foot agility to kick and adjust with his lateral slide … Uses his lower-body strength well to drive defenders off the ball and simply engulfs defenders at the point of attack.

Negatives: Lacks explosion coming off the snap and is more of a position/wall-off type of blocker … Lacks the sustained speed to get out quickly to make plays in the second level … Will come out and attack the linebackers, but will fall off some blocks working in space … Better playing inside, where his feet are not exposed to the edge rush (struggled as a tackle to mirror the speed rush moves and could not control and finish as well as he does when working in-line) … Has a good short-area straight-line charge, but struggles to redirect his massive frame due to hip stiffness … Needs to get in better shape, as his excess body fat causes him to labor when moving up field and will wear down as the game progresses … For a player of his size and strength, he should be generating more power at the point of attack (uses his body to lean into the defender rather than explode through his blocks) … Weight room strength fails to translate to the field at times, especially in his pass set … Needs to take better angles as a drive blocker.

--Dave-Te' Thomas

Lauvao is a powerful offensive lineman who works best at the point of attack. When he played offensive tackle, he was effective working in-line, but did not have the foot movement to counter moves on the edge rush. He looks sluggish when asked to pull into the second level and needs to tone down his midsection, as he is naturally strong, but plays too high to be an explosive blocker.

He has enough functional quickness and good body lean to get inside the defender coming off the snap, but will sometimes get too high in his stance, causing him to stop his feet and falls off too many blocks. He is sometimes slow to cut off inside, but does scoop to the outside with better success. He has a high pull with poor explosion on contact, but gets in the way. Still, he has to have a good path to get to the level-2 block.

Lauvao is blessed with good body mass to anchor, but struggles when having to take on defenders along the edge. He generates good hand punch and uses his hands effectively to lock on and drive defenders off the ball. He plays with very good inside leverage and rarely loses the fight once he gets his hands on his man.

He has decent lateral movement on the short pull and can anchor and sit effectively vs. the bull rush. His best asset is his ability to mirror and slide in his pass set. For a player of his size, he is very nimble with his feet.

Compares To … KYNAN FORNEY-ex Jacksonville … Lauvao's immediate value to an NFL team is his versatility. He is one of the strongest drive blockers in this draft class and while he does not have the size to play out on the edge, his power base and trap blocking sills are more likely to see him push for a starting job at left guard within a few years.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/556800?tag=pageRow;pageContainer

you had a good run Hank.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
That's what NFL.com's page is telling me. He's not "graded" very high ... and he doesn't even have a breakdown listed. Might be a bit of a reach (Bruce Cambell was still on the board) ... but maybe the FO knows something we don't?

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Kind of sounds like a poor man's Iupati?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
saw action at both guard and tackle...made 17 starts at left guard, 12 at left tackle and four at right tackle.

good versatility

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Welcome shawn, hope you and Pashos can help us on the right block

#gmstrong
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

saw action at both guard and tackle...made 17 starts at left guard, 12 at left tackle and four at right tackle.

good versatility

From the sounds of it, he deserves absolutely no playing time at Tackle, though. Seems to be a guard who you run behind, which I have no problems with. Plug him at RG and he'll work.

you had a good run Hank.
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
versatile and not a workout warrior like campbell. good with me.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Agreed, he doesn't sound like a tackle. Nothing wrong with a big strong guard who can play. Hope he pans out.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Nice pick. I like it a lot. He is very strong and good in every aspect. He may not be able to start this year as he needs to improve his technique, but he should be good.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Was just coming on to see what you had to say....this is one pick I don't know anything about.

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

That's what NFL.com's page is telling me. He's not "graded" very high ... and he doesn't even have a breakdown listed. Might be a bit of a reach (Bruce Cambell was still on the board) ... but maybe the FO knows something we don't?

I heard Campbell has an issue with a Brain related injury from some article. Head injuries make me nervous. I don't want a player seriously messing up his brain because he's on my team.

Besides that I heard Campbell has issues with commitment to the game.

I like that we satisfied the RG need. I wonder if this guy can start for us.

A lot of times these draft analyst guys are idiots. There's reasons why they don't work for an NFL team. I trust Heckert and his record over most of these guys. Heckert obviously is looking for guys that fit with EM, Campbell might not have fit that bill.

I wanted a RG, this is the guy they chose. I hope he can start day one though.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I guess the experts don't like this pick...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2010/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-team/dt-by-team-input:cle/dt-by-round-input:3

they rated it as a 2.4 value

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
That's the "grade" I was refering too ... honestly, I can't complain about an OL pick in round 3. This is were you are supposed to draft non-LT lineman if you want a strong line.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Obviously these media guys are not as smart or informed as they would want you to think, but it worries me when a couple guys in a row (the safety and RB, specifically) are picks where most people don't have them rated as high.

We'll have to wait and see, I guess. McCoy was really good value.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I guess the experts don't like this pick...

Wouldn't they have a job for an NFL team instead of being a journalist if they were experts?

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Legend
Legend
I hope this pick doesn't end up being like the pick Savage made a few years ago with that Indiana lineman...

Lauvao.. welcome to cleveland.. you better get ready for some insane blocking, cuz the AFC North is no JOKE!

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
D
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
D
Lauvao had an impressive performance at the combine, ranking among the leaders in the bench press (33 reps) and 3-cone drill (7.56 seconds), and placing first among all offensive linemen in the 20-yard shuttle (4.51 seconds). Runs a 5.26 40-yard dash - good for an interior lineman of his size. The excellent showing at the combine likely won't vault Lauvao into the top echelon of guards, but it does make him nearly a sure bet to get drafted, most likely in the middle-to-late rounds. He was named to the All Pac-10 second team as a senior, and received all-conference honorable mention in 2008. He started all 12 games for Arizona State as a senior, the constant on a shaky offensive line effected by injury on a Sun Devils team that stumbled to a 4-8 record. The durable Lauvao concluded his career with 33 consecutive starts. A native of Hawaii, he was ranked the sixth-best prospect in that state coming out of high school in 2005. Though he projects as a guard at the next level, he also saw time at tackle at Arizona State, due in part to the unit's lack of depth

http://cleveland.stats.com/nfldraft/players.asp?id=130708

Go Browns !!!!
B
Rookie
Rookie
B
I remember watching an interview with Campbell on NFL Network during the combine, he had a very hard time putting a sentence together. The guys were at a loss while asking him questions. It was pretty uncomfortable.

Legend
Legend
we got Lauvao b/c of the Ravens... Cody AND Ngata?? are u serious!!!?/

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

Yeah, that's going to be a nightmare for years. Ugh.

you had a good run Hank.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

who said that?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Good thing we have Alex Mack and possibly Lauvao.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
If this guy ever gets on the field,we're in trouble.
This cat has cement shoes that would make even thw most hardcore mafioso proud.
Forget about traps,pulls,screens,zones when this guy is playing.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
Legend
Legend
Quote:

If this guy ever gets on the field,we're in trouble.
This cat has cement shoes that would make even thw most hardcore mafioso proud.
Forget about traps,pulls,screens,zones when this guy is playing.

How many times have you seen him play?

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He probably watched some highlights.

I won't pretend to have seen a lot of him, but I did watch some actual gamefilm of him.

Legend
Legend
His drill times were good but that is a little different then when you are actually playing.

#gmstrong
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Hate to argue but "cement feet" ?

He is a mauler at run blocking which will be guard. He was moved to LT his senior year. He alowed like 3 sacks all year. I know its college but you dont do that and have cement feet.

Some of you guys are absolutely amazing.

I had rather gotten Mike Johnson. ....but is Shawn that much worse.......?????

NOPE!!!!!!

BOTH have negatives.

You dont have to win every game just the next one!
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
...Has anyone *other than deep, apparently* actually seen this guy play?

I make it a point not to state things without actually seeing the guy play.

you had a good run Hank.
Legend
Legend
I haven't...

I have 3 draft magazines:

1) Lindy's has him ranked as the 10th best guard
2) Pro Football has him ranked as the 12th best guard (but is mixed with Centers too)
3) Sporting News has him ranked as the 12th best Guard.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
in retrospect where was he taken in terms of number of OL taken?

i saw a few sites rank him as 5-6 bst G

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

in retrospect where was he taken in terms of number of OL taken?

i saw a few sites rank him as 5-6 bst G

According to Scott Wright Mike Johnson and Shawn Lauvao were ranked 4th and 6th and all the guys above them were already drafted.

1. Mike Iupati Drafted
2. John Jerry Drafted
3. Jon Asamoah Drafted
4. Mike Johnson
5. Zane Beadles Drafted
6. Shawn Lauvao

NFldraftcountdown.com

Go Browns!!

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Hey now, dont question our draft experts!

Not sure why we chased down Heckert when we had a choice of 20 or so guys from the boards!

1st String
1st String
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Browns draft another offensive lineman tomorrow. You can never have enough offensive linemen or cornerbacks. Nothing that was written about this guy says he's uncoachable.

The Bay Area Browns Backers are having our annual banquet tomorrow with Alex Mack as our special guest. It'll be interesting to ask him his take on the draft.

[color:"red"]"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
---Leonardo daVinci
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Enough to spot a slow footed linemen when I see one.
He comes from a program where i know some people.I'm happy he was drafted,but he's not an impressive o-linemen.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

Enough to spot a slow footed linemen when I see one.
He comes from a program where i know some people.I'm happy he was drafted,but he's not an impressive o-linemen.

You know he was taken in the bottom of the third round? I never saw the guy play but of course he wasn't an all world impressive o-linemen...if he was he would have went the first round.

3rder- Depth and Require some time to become a starter if they can

Unless you have a different opinion of a late 3rd rounder?

Go Browns!!

[Linked Image]
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

Unless you have a different opinion of a late 3rd rounder?

Exactly! If he didn't have some deficiencies he would be rated a higher round.

Someone said he had cement feet. Slow feet is not "cement feet" BIG difference.

Thats the one thing that makes him a Guard. Maybe a little slow with his feet to be a Tackle but he fits in at the guard position.

He played LT his senior year. Played well....so his feet might be slow but not cement.

You dont have to win every game just the next one!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm happy with the pick... we addressed a huge need. i don't know a lot about him. He is a mauler... big mean and will def be playing G. I guess they also ran the ball to his side the majority of the time...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Browns 3rd Round Pick II: Shawn Lauvao (OT)

Link Copied to Clipboard