Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

DiD, it's not that he cannot catch, it's that he sometimes has problems with body catching.

Carlton Mitchell has very good hands, he just is not natural RIGHT NOW. However, with some coaching, he can very easily become a #1 WR in the NFL. This guy is going to be very good, very quickly. He's going to be our Colston.

Practice Squad...

If u catch ANYTHING with your body u will NEVER be reliable...That's not just a habit people...That's HOW U CATCH A FOOTBALL...And I'd bout guarantee ya' that's how he's done it forever...

Go Browns!!!
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

Quote:

DiD, it's not that he cannot catch, it's that he sometimes has problems with body catching.

Carlton Mitchell has very good hands, he just is not natural RIGHT NOW. However, with some coaching, he can very easily become a #1 WR in the NFL. This guy is going to be very good, very quickly. He's going to be our Colston.

Practice Squad...

If u catch ANYTHING with your body u will NEVER be reliable...That's not just a habit people...That's HOW U CATCH A FOOTBALL...And I'd bout guarantee ya' that's how he's done it forever...

Wow, Mr. Negative!

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
T
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

Quote:

Practice Squad...

He has been having a hell of a time adapting to his body.

Body catchers can be changed. MoMass was a body catcher and by the end of the year, he was catching with his hands.

And really, Mitchell is not a big time body catcher. He catches with his hands a lot, it's just sometimes he loses focus and tries to body catch it. It's all about coaching, and it's certainly not a scarlet letter you're trying to make it seem.

I guarantee you that Mitchell is starting by the end of THIS year.

you had a good run Hank.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Banished to the practice squad already!

Did we suddenly inherit a WR corps of all pros?!

This cat could be a #2 by the regular season with the crew we have!

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

I guarantee you that Mitchell is starting by the end of THIS year.

LOL...I really do love u guys with your "Browns All The Way" mentality...

I don't even know what else to say to that comment...1% likelihood???...Maybe...lol...

U keep goin' tho dude...We're in it to WIN it...

Go Browns!!!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Good grief, after 5 seconds of that god awful rap I was looking for a length of rope and some rafters!

Looks promising!!!

Com'n Mutt.... auto tone iz da bomb

....another upside....he's played in the snow.

Welcome Carlton. Work your rear off and make the team.

1st String
1st String
Quote:

Well I have to give this entire draft a nice big fat captial A.

I wouldn't go that far. Maybe a B- but not as much as I expected for all the picks we started out with.

Haden, I love. Great pick. We had to take him.

Colt McCoy is the gem of our entire draft. I've loved this kid for a long time. If you ask me, he's the gem of the QB's in this draft. Top QB prospect in this draft in my humble opinion. Hopefully, the kid has time to sit and learn from some football greats and can be mentored by Delhomme and the Holmgren machine.

Carlton Mitchell is a must pick at the spot where we took him. He has size and fairly good speed. No one is going to 'rough him up' when he's going for the ball. Great hands, too. He'll be a great blocker on the line.

Lauvao is a very good pick. I think we've done some tremendous things to build a great o-line for next season.

Asante is good against the run which was absolutely horrible for us last year. But, questions remain on his ability to cover.

I still don't understand trading up to get Hardesty and losing so many picks when he would have probably fallen into our laps. Hardesty and Ward both have injury histories. Ward is a heavy hitter so I have to say that I'm okay with that pick.

I'm a little disappointed we didn't pick up a linebacker. Dekoda Watson was still on the boards when we picked Geathers. Geathers, like I've said, is a major project with off the field issues. Watson would have been a great backup right away and a possible starter in little time at all.

So, I'd have to give the draft a B-. But, a much greater improvement on years gone by. Much much much greater improvement!

Never have hope. You won’t be disappointed.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Quote:

I like it! He doesn't have very good hands, but he has awesome potential.

I love wide receivers with bad hands! We never get enough of 'em!
This guy is a project at best.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
T
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
T
People need to lay off the hands thing:

Quote:

(On him catching the ball with his chest being a fair criticism) - “I had a few balls that got to my body. Yes, I agree, but at the same time I am very confident in my hands. I’ve been working on, since January, plucking the ball away from my frame. It’s something that I made a great improvement in and it’s something that I will continue to improve on.”

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/arti...85-1ff37468d0a8

you had a good run Hank.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He is definitely a project. But in the 6th round, nearly everyone is. It's better to get a project with good potential than one with mediocre upside.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I know he's a sixth rounder deep, I just like my receivers to have good hands.
I'm kinda crazy that way.

gmstrong

-----------------

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The catch at 3.25 into the highlight reel makes me think he could become a tremendous red zone weapon.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
T
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

He has good hands. He does not have stone hands.

The problem is that sometimes he catches the ball with his body.

you had a good run Hank.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Quote:

Excuse us...

WTF's the difference???...There IS no difference...NONE...

He's Quincy Morgan/Hubbard reincarnated...It's why he was the 8th pick in the 6th round...

Cheese n Rice u guys...How long r we gonna do Steptoe's???

The due's gonna be on the PS...Just as Geathers will...R u guys BLIND or just HOPEFUL???

Go Browns!!!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I don't get where he has bad hands. They say he body catches certain balls, but I have not read where he drops balls. Typical over exageration by Browns fans

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Dude get a grip, just about every scout that does this for a living had him as a 2nd or 3rd round prospect for a reason.

How do you have any clue what so-ever that he is going to be a practice squad guy and nothing more? I mean any, any at all?

T
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

The due's gonna be on the PS...Just as Geathers will...R u guys BLIND or just HOPEFUL???

I don't know. How many games of his have you watched? You seem pretty sure of yourself and your evaluations.

I've seen him play several times because I liked Grothe and I liked watching USF's defense. On short passes, Mitchell will body catch. Going deep, he uses his hands. It's NOT nearly as big of a problem as you're making it.

Obviously your mind is made up. You think he's going to be a practice squader. I think he's got a lot of talent and will put it all together very soon. He's a little raw, but with coaching he'll be fine.

Comparing him to Quincey Morgan is premature. Mitchell never had a big time drop problem in college.

you had a good run Hank.
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
I respect your posts and always have. Having said that catching with your body does not always meen you have bad hands.

I know that for a fact. No where does any scout say that he has bad hands. Its just that he lets some throws get into his body. Its more a bad habit than bad hands.

Now with being a PS guy...its possible. He is a 6th rounder.

Looking at potential for a 6th rounder....Its off the chart.

SUPER PICK!

You dont have to win every game just the next one!
L
Legend
Legend
L
Quote:

People need to lay off the hands thing:

Quote:

(On him catching the ball with his chest being a fair criticism) - “I had a few balls that got to my body. Yes, I agree, but at the same time I am very confident in my hands. I’ve been working on, since January, plucking the ball away from my frame. It’s something that I made a great improvement in and it’s something that I will continue to improve on.”

Deep said he doesn't have very good hands, I responded accordingly.

gmstrong

-----------------

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Love the kid's size. That's all I can say right now. Hope he has the skills to develop into an NFL type WR, because he certainly has the size to be a force.

That highlight reel has to be worst ever. What were there, like five plays played over and over, every angle, in slo-mo? You'd think with 40 catches and 700 yards, they could've come up with something a little more informative and exciting. lol...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
"Dude get a grip, just about every scout that does this for a living had him as a 2nd or 3rd round prospect for a reason."

It would appear that people who get paid to turn in cards with player's names on them have no idea what that reason may be.Hence,the 6th round selection.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Dude get a grip, just about every scout that does this for a living had him as a 2nd or 3rd round prospect for a reason.

How do you have any clue what so-ever that he is going to be a practice squad guy and nothing more? I mean any, any at all?

And that reason is???

He ended up in the SIXTH ROUND people...For a REASON...Noone liked him...At least the people that COUNT...

I've done this 10 times over the years...YOUR TURN...Take the 6th and 7th rounders...Find out how many MAKE a team...You're gonna find it's LESS THAN TWO PERCENT...That's 2 in 100...And if they do it's as a ST'er...Then how many go to a PS...And how many end up on the STREET...

You guys freak when we trade 5th/6th/7th rounders to move up in a draft...We do it because there's someone available at VALUE...That's SMART drafting...These late rounders r nothing for the most part...

Go Browns!!!
Legend
Legend
Dude you need a beer or something to loosen you up

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Dude you need a beer or something to loosen you up

You gotta love it when he starts capitalizing every other word.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Excuse us...

WTF's the difference???...There IS no difference...NONE...

He's Quincy Morgan/Hubbard reincarnated...It's why he was the 8th pick in the 6th round...

Cheese n Rice u guys...How long r we gonna do Steptoe's???

I think there's a legitimate chance to make the the regular season squad.

I mean, look at his competition. We have the worst receivers in the NFL. The only one right now that is good enough to start is Massoquoi. On another team? Yeah, practice squad. On the Browns, a very good chance to see a little bit of PT.

I ain't saying this kid is Brandon Marshall or is going to come in this season and make an impact, but with the lack of talent at the position right now, he has a fair chance of making the roster.

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
Legend
Legend
And then you have a guy like Colston in New Orleans.. 7th rounder,,, everyone other than New Orleans totally whiffed on the guy.

But yeah, the likely hood of him becoming great,, ehhh,, the odds aren't good.

All I can say is this,, he's got size,, a ton of speed and he's physical.. If he takes the coaching.. he could be good..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
T
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
T
j/c

Heckert on Mitchell:

Quote:

“Carlton’s a guy with great size and great speed,” said Heckert. “Why he fell as far as he did, I don’t have the answer to that. We’re happy to have him. He’s a little bit on the raw side; he’s going to need some time, but he showed flashes of being a really good player and we’re excited to work with him.”

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/arti...c2-9db8042f2682

you had a good run Hank.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I tend to judge with my eyes and my mind and leave the stats a distant 3rd. I like to think I'm brutally honest and don't get attached to prospects the way some people do. I'm pretty disappointed with our draft class this year and I don't think half are going to amount to much (mostly becasue I'm a pessimist when it comes to injury history) but this kid intrigues me. I've watched about 2 hours of tape now on this kid... the highlight stuff on line but also a grip USF games I downloaded in entirety.. skimming though to pass plays. I think the body-catch stuff is over stated. It's like every 3rd or 4th catch is not hands-on. He actually seems like has good hands overall. He looks very fluid and has an excellent WR body. I mean he looks almost perfectly prototypical. His routes aren't so crisp and I definitely wouldn't say he's "explosive", he doesn't look so quick to me but quite fast once he's past initial acceleration. He's kind of a field stretcher.. not the typical WCO receiver I would have expected. I also watched the interview with him and he seems bright and positive, he gets his role and seems to understand everything that's going on. I think he makes the team and we might just be looking at a quality 2nd or 3rd receiver. We'll see.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
G
2nd String
2nd String
G
Quote:

WHOA! Slow down there.

You guys need to remember, he is a 6th Rounder, while he has great potential, so do all late rounders do, which is why they are Boom or Bust picks.

You are making him out to be better then he is already. Let the guy play, and then judge. This is Cleveland's biggest problem. Give the guy a few years and then we'll see where he is, but saying he is our next Colston is ridiculous. Or even Brandon Marshall.

I remember James Davis Pre-Season performance, and people were calling for him to start already. Damn. Now, he may not even be on the squad.

T
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

Quote:

WHOA! Slow down there.

You guys need to remember, he is a 6th Rounder, while he has great potential, so do all late rounders do, which is why they are Boom or Bust picks.

You are making him out to be better then he is already. Let the guy play, and then judge. This is Cleveland's biggest problem. Give the guy a few years and then we'll see where he is, but saying he is our next Colston is ridiculous. Or even Brandon Marshall.

I remember James Davis Pre-Season performance, and people were calling for him to start already. Damn. Now, he may not even be on the squad.

Saying he's our Colston just refers to him being a good WR from the 6th round.

I expect him to get playing time this year. He's bigger, faster, stronger and has better hands than Stuckey.

you had a good run Hank.
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
I really hope he see's the field and opens up the offense. He has a ton of speed. With MoMass and Furrey coming back onto the offense again. We should have a good passing attack.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
With the draft being as deep as it was in so many other positions, I don't think anyone really wanted to pick up a project WR in the Third. Could be a very good reason why he fell the way that he did.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

With MoMass and Furrey coming back onto the offense again.

Did we resign Furrey? I guess I missed that......

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
8) Carlton Mitchell, South Florida

Height: 6-3. Weight: 215.
Projected 40 Time: 4.48.
Combine 40 Time: 4.49.
Pro Day 40 Time: 4.40.
Vertical: . Broad: 10-2.
Projected Round (2010): 2-3.

4/1/10: If Carlton Mitchell wasn't in "great player" territory, he is now. Mitchell ran a 4.40 at his Pro Day.

3/1/10: Running a 4.49 at 6-3, 215, Carlton Mitchell might be nearing "great player" territory. Can a raw receiver be overdrafted based on his measurables? As long as Al Davis is in the NFL, absolutely.

OK...The kids raw as per Heckert himself...That's PS material...

The one thing he does have going for him as someone suggested is the quality of competition on this roster...

If the kid takes to coaching...And Mcdonald knows anything about what he's doing...With the lack of decent receivers on this team he has a shot...I guess...

More importantly...We gotta get Robiskie on the field...No excuse why a 2nd round wide-out isn't STARTING...

Go Browns!!!
Legend
Legend
I agree.. MoMass and Robo should be starting..

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If you get time to re-look at those game films would you pay attention to some of the running plays too? I would love to hear how he blocks in the run game. With the way we are setting up the offense it looks like we want to be a power run team and wr's who can block can really make a difference.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
T
Legend
Legend
T
How long r we gonna do Steptoe's????

Well I'm guessing at least one more year.
Hey Cribbs was a/an UDFA, so who knows.

I hold a higher opinoin of Quincy Morgan than you I guess, because I'd not lump him in with the Hubbards, Steptoe's and Jackson's (Frismond, not Michael ... or Michael either).

Hopefully Carlton Mitchell is more of a Tim Carter who can overachieve, than a Frismond Jackson, who was just real tall.

Heard the name Carlton Mitchell, I love your cigarettes ?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

How long r we gonna do Steptoe's????

Hopefully, at least one every year.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

N
Legend
Legend
N
glad you like the value because i'm a bit shocked by the overall tone of this thread. thought for sure this would be a majority plus opinion of the pick.

yeah, the kid has holes in his game, but cmon, what 6th round pick doesn't.

end of the day, he was a guy most thought was going to go much higher in the draft but slipped down and we picked him. i think we got good value and he was one of the mid round guys I liked that we got late round.

i don't know if he'll be starting or anything this year (1st year WR's don't have the greatest track record), but hopefully he is able to learn and develop and is an option in our WR corps sometime this year or going into next year.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

end of the day, he was a guy most thought was going to go much higher in the draft but slipped down and we picked him. i think we got good value and he was one of the mid round guys I liked that we got late round.

No, after the season and film he was a late rounder at best...then he ran and had a great "measurables" offseason (being a track guy) and the draftniks pushed him up their boards....I think he never was a Top75 consideration for ANY team

even in his "highlight" vid that was put together you see 2 routes: crossing the short middle, and short outs...he takes time to pick up speed but he has some serious speed when he gets there

He is who I thought he was ...still would have picked B.White over him

I'm just happy we picked him in the 6th and not the 3rd

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Browns 6th Round Pick I: Carlton Mitchell

Link Copied to Clipboard