Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#491850 05/01/10 02:24 AM
hooter Offline OP
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
Weird that this elimination game was only on FSN. Good thing I live here.

Melo had a terrible game. He just wasn't really there. I remember one play, a rebound was coming straight for him, he actually ran away from it as one of my guys ran up and got it.

Boozer was a complete animal again. Millsap was insane under the basket. The team really looked like a veteran group putting away a lesser opponent.

On to the Lakers. (Homer Alert)

LA is going to be heavily favored, due to their overloaded front court. This is magnified by the absence of Okur. However, Utah has had some players really emerge unexpectedly in the Denver series who might pose some problems themselves.

Matthews has really come on, he did not keep Anthony from scoring, but made him work pretty hard for it, and never got in foul trouble. He was also scoring at a pretty good clip. He has been unbelievable considering he's an undrafted rookie. He is going to be guarding Kobe most of the time.

The Utah front court completely dominated Denver. What looks like a major advantage for LA might not be so lopsided.

Fesenko was a major presence inside, although he has some pretty fidgety moments still. I actually would compare him at this point to our old buddy Ostertag. Huge, akward, and willing, but not particularly skilled at this point. He does not have good hands, but really put in a great effort against Denver. If he can keep out of foul trouble, he should be able to out muscle Bynum, and clog that middle.

Millsap is amazing. He reminds me of Barkley in the sense that you see him play, and can't believe he is not taller than he really is. He truly is a force inside.

Boozer is playing the best ball of his career right now. You guys beat me up pretty hard for comparing him to Malone, but if you watched these games like I did you would see the similarities, at least offensively. I never thought the day would come when I would applaud CB on his toughness, but he came into this series injured, and killed it. Good thing for me he is so motivated right now. LA will soon find that out.

With these two guys, I don't know who is going to guard Gasol. He is probably going to be the biggest problem Utah has without Okur. I think Sloan will have to try to put him in a position to be in foul trouble in order to keep him contained. Both Boozer and Millsap are highly skilled at drawing fouls, so this could be an effective tactic. I can't see any other way to counter him.

On to LA's other big man, Odom. I think he is the real key to the series, as I believe he is the key to LA's team. He is a mismatch for almost everybody, he has great size, athleticism, and ball handling. I think we will put Millsap on him.

The backcourt is, believe it or not, easily in Utah's favor. If Fish thought Westbrook was a tough assignment, wait till he faces D-Will. Kobe has a broken finger, and did not look at all like himself vs. OKC. Matthews, Miles, Korver, and Price are all much better than the non-Kobe guys on LA's backcourt. I think LA will attempt to put either Kobe or Artest on D-Will. Kobe's just as good a defender with a broken finger. However that still leaves Fish on the court defending somebody, and that somebody is going to take advantage.

Wild cards: The greatest variable IMO has to be Odom. He is unstoppable when he plays to his ability. I also have to wonder if Utah can keep rebounding at their outstanding rate when giving up that much height. A big, big, (literally) question is what Fesenko can accomplish against this savvy and loaded group. Finally, Kirilenko should be coming back. If he is actually healthy and ready to play, he is going to be huge.

That's all I got. I know that, being a Sloan team they will not quit under any circumstance. I love the possibility of eliminating the Lakers like the old days.

Can't wait to watch this one.

A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams.

John Barrymore
hooter #491851 05/02/10 05:14 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Anyone else watching?

Utah is keeping it close.

Psydeffect #491852 05/02/10 05:51 PM
Legend
Legend
Just turned it on - don't really like either team, but guess I'll cheer for Utah... who doesn't love an underdog.

<><

#gmstrong
jaybird #491853 05/02/10 05:59 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It is tough to cheer for a Boozer team but I dislike LA that much.

Psydeffect #491854 05/02/10 06:03 PM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I like Deron WIlliams and I don't like LA so I'll be rooting for the Jazz in this series. I don't think their defense is going to be enough to win in a long series though.

Adam_P #491855 05/02/10 06:51 PM
Legend
Legend
Jazz let this one get away,....

OoooRahJoice #491856 05/02/10 08:21 PM
2nd String
2nd String
I am a lifelong Lakers fan. I am 31 and the first memories I have of basketball is of Bird vs. Magic. Magic had a magnanimous personality that drew me to him as a kid and I have been a Lakers fan ever since. I will say, Kobe is looking older than his years. He is usually still the best player on the court, he just isn't as dominate. Paul Gasol has really elevated his game the last 2 years. The first year he was in LA he was really soft. Bynum is a walking injury report. Odom is Mr. Versatile. D Fish is a pest and hits the big shot. Artest is almost worthless so far - I would much rather have Ariza still. The role players will have to really improve and play consistent for the Lakers to get out of the West. With that said, the only threat in the West to the Lakers are the Spurs. Utah is simply too banged up to get the job done this series. I foresee a 4-1 series.

Heat33 #491857 05/02/10 08:54 PM
Legend
Legend
I was a huge Lakers fan, circa 79-and on, or so. Mostly from Jabbar.

Heat33 #491858 05/02/10 09:37 PM
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Utah is a great matchup for the lakers. They have whipped them over the years. They have too much height for the jazz to deal with. Boozer has always struggled against the lakers length. I agree, I see a 4-1 series, maybe 4-2 at the most.

I'm hoping the suns can take the spurs out. Definitely don't want to see another spurs-lakers series.

Alpoe19 #491859 05/02/10 09:52 PM
Legend
Legend
The Spurs are a better matchup for the Cavs though, no ?

hooter #491860 05/02/10 10:16 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
GOOO LAKERRSSS!

[Linked Image from fbcdn-profile-a.akamaihd.net]
OoooRahJoice #491861 05/02/10 10:28 PM
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

The Spurs are a better matchup for the Cavs though, no ?

if i had to pick spurs or lakers, i would probably take the spurs

i think between parker and lebron, they could handle hill and manu.

we've seen shaq do ok against duncan in the past, jamison would become the x factor in the series.

as far as the lakers/jazz, i think it can go 7. i see utah not backing down on their own floor and the home team dominating in the series. utah is so damn tough in their own building.

Spergon FTWynn #491862 05/02/10 10:33 PM
R
Legend
Legend
R
I hope Utah wins, but I don't think they will.

I think the Finals is going to be Cavs-Lakers, and I think LeBron will not allow the Cavs to lose. Something's going on with him this year. Never seen him so serious. If he's thinking about bolting, I think he knows his time in Cleveland will have been a failure if he doesn't bring home a championship, and it will follow him around for the rest of his career.

Rishuz #491863 05/03/10 12:53 PM
hooter Offline OP
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
That was a fun game to watch yesterday. I was with 3 Laker fans who love to talk trash, we gonna roll you, blowout, etc. Nobody would back it up after I laughed at them and offered a bet. Haha.

Utah's plan seemed to be what I thought it would, a lot of slashing trying to get some fouls called. It didn't work in the sense that Gasol was never in trouble. He is a pretty smart player, and being so huge he gets a lot of shot block opportunities without a lot of risk. I don't think Sloan is going to stop sending people at him hard. Jazz are going to have to do a much better job kicking the ball out to the open man when the Laker defense sags down on the driving guys. We left quite a few 3 pointers on the court.

Utah did a great job doubling Gasol late and hustling back on their rotations when the ball came out. They are going to have to do that for the whole game. Matthews was doing a very good job defending Kobe.

Utah could easily have won that game. Two bad offensive plays in a row really late killed us, combined with Odom and Kobe contributing some great plays.

Fisher had a much better game than I expected, but Williams is going to get stronger as the series progresses. Letting himself get hit like that at the very end of the Denver series was just stupid. Kirilenko had better get healthy, I've never heard of a guy being out for a month with a calf strain.

Going to be a great series. Jazz in 7.

John Barrymore
hooter #491864 05/05/10 12:53 PM
hooter Offline OP
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
Two games in a row now I'm seeing my boys run as hard as they can into the teeth of the Laker D, and fail to kick out. I don't get it. There is no way Sloan is telling them to do that. They act like they are surprised they can't 1 on 1 this team. Stupid.

Great coaching/adjustments by Jackson in this game. He had Gasol finding the open guys (typically Fish and Artest) out of the double team. They are doing a superb job so far of containing D-Will. He is going to have to get it together and find the open man when they are trapping. We should be getting great open shots out of that (like all season). Two passes out of that trap should be an excellent shot.

Utah is definitely putting in the effort, but has to play smarter to start winning games. I keep seeing very good opportunities that just get ignored in favor of somebody trying to bull their way to the rim. Hustle + Savvy is going to be the recipie. They'll look better in game 3. Must Win situation.

John Barrymore
hooter #491865 05/05/10 02:15 PM
S
Legend
Legend
S
utah kinda reminds me of the atlanta hawks, in that they just don't have that finisher (in no way am i saying woodson is even close to the coach that sloan is)

d-will is great, boozer is good when healthy, but they don't have that guy that can put you away.

just like the hawks don't have that guy, they have 3 or 4 really good complimentary players. joe johnson is a robin, not a batman.

Spergon FTWynn #491866 05/05/10 02:47 PM
Legend
Legend
j/c,...

This one's over,....

Spergon FTWynn #491867 05/06/10 01:49 AM
hooter Offline OP
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
If they were healthy, it would be a different story.

If Fesenko and/or Koufos continue to improve and Okur can come off the bench, that's a good front court. Fes in particular was awesome in the Denver series.

I can't overstate how big a deal the 3 days off are. Kirilenko should be back for game 3, but probably won't be full speed for a while after that. He makes a huge difference with his help D and will provide a lot more at the 3 position than Miles is right now.

However I will wait to report the Jazz's demise until we lose a home game. If they run a bit more, and D-Will gets more aggressive against that trap, L.A. is certainly a beatable team. Yesterday's game was a poor example of Utah ball.

John Barrymore
hooter #491868 05/06/10 06:25 AM
Legend
Legend
Either of the next 2 and you're "demised?" You'd still have a shot at getting the 2 back in LA, but you'd have to do that anyway,...so, I guess I would agree with demised, and that's why I say I think Utah needs to win the next four straight up, or it's a done deal.

While valid, I don't like using healthy as a discussion point. It's gonna be the shot-heard-round-the-world when the Cavs lose a series here soon.

Keep the chin up,...I'm pullin' for the Jazz.

hooter #491869 05/06/10 10:31 AM
N
Legend
Legend
N
don't forget you can still hope to add Evan Turner with the Knicks draft choice.

Turner and Deron in the backcourt would be amazing. For Evan's sake, I'm hoping you guys get him.

#gmstrong
OoooRahJoice #491870 05/06/10 03:21 PM
hooter Offline OP
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
Quote:

Either of the next 2 and you're "demised?"

Losing either of those games would put us at 3-0 or 3-1, which is not a hole I would be confident of getting out of.

I believe Utah should be getting stronger as the series goes on, and don't see how L.A. could play much better than they have the last two games. They have been playing outstanding ball. I also think Utah's bench is better overall.

I don't believe Cleveland will lose that series. They were playing badly, it won't last. I wouldn't worry too much. I thought they would blow the Celts out, obviously they did too. Whoops, time to get your hands dirty, Cavs.

John Barrymore
hooter #491871 05/08/10 01:42 PM
hooter Offline OP
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
Just in case any of you would rather read about my Jazz than work in your yards, this article pretty much sums up what I've been observing about this series. It might be the only thing I've read where the writer actually knows something about Utah and isn't just crowning the Lakers before they even make the Confrence Finals. In particular he really nails what Kirilenko does that is so vital.

I would add that it's going to be critical that Fesenko plays with a mean streak against those Laker bigs. He needs to beat them up and get them out of their comfort zone. I don't need flagrant fouls against guards, but I do want to see Bynum on his back. Man, I'm fired up to see this game.

Quote:

1. Mission Possible: How Jazz Can Bounce Back
By Kevin Arnovitz
ESPN.com

For the third consecutive postseason, the Utah Jazz find themselves in a familiar position -- down 0-2 to the Los Angeles Lakers heading back to Salt Lake City for Games 3 and 4. Setting aside the long odds of storming back and winning the series faced by the Jazz, they have been tantalizingly close in each of the first two games at Staples Center. Utah led during the fourth quarter of Game 1, and despite a woeful shooting performance in Game 2, was within shouting distance of the Lakers for much of the second half. A handful of possessions here or there and this series would have an entirely different feel headed into Game 3.

It won't be easy for Utah to scratch its way back into this series against a Lakers team whose size presents a unique matchup problem. But the Jazz have demonstrated that they're a resilient bunch, with the discipline and problem-solving skills to adjust. If they can address a few festering problems from their first two games in Los Angeles, the Jazz have a chance to square this series in front of their raucous home crowd.

Deron Williams needs to be Deron Williams

There will always be a tension in the Jazz's flex offense between complete devotion to the system and allowing the team's most talented players to make basketball plays one-on-one. Against Denver, Williams struck that balance to perfection. He initiated the Jazz's preferred offense by delivering the ball to his big men at the high post, or broke down the Nuggets' defense with dribble-penetration. Either way, Williams controlled each game with force and finesse.

Although the Lakers apply far more ball pressure than Denver ever could, Williams has been off-balance in this series and, at times, tentative. It's time for Williams to get back into attack mode. Whether it's in transition, as a post option (something he does quite well) or by looking for contact, it's a strategy that should be rewarded more generously in Salt Lake City.

Push the Lakers off their spots

There's nothing Utah can do about the extra vertical inches the Lakers' big men have over them, but Jazz defenders can take away the inches that truly matter -- the distance between the Lakers' offensive players and the basket.

Much like the Nuggets in their Game 1 victory over the Jazz in the first round, the Lakers have been able to set up at their preferred spots on offense far too comfortably. Although the Jazz must be careful not to foul the Lakers excessively, Utah has to offer sincere resistance to the Lakers down in the post. The Lakers aren't an offensive juggernaut. They struggle against physical teams and were 16th in the NBA in true shooting percentage this season (53.6 percent). If Utah can force the Lakers to shoot the ball from beyond 10 feet, the Jazz's chances of evening the series will improve dramatically.

Get to work early

One way to avoid the outstretched arms of the Lakers' big men is to get clean looks before the defense can set up shop down low. Those patented cuts and flashes to the foul-line area by Carlos Boozer or Paul Millsap are much easier to choreograph in an open half court, before the Lakers' big men can stake out their territory in the interior.

In addition, Williams is a master of the secondary break, whether he's pulling up in transition, hitting Wes Matthews or C.J. Miles as they cross underneath the hoop, or making a shuttle pass to Boozer or Millsap for an easy mid-range jumper. Early offense is the single most effective way to neutralize the Lakers' length, but it's a tool that can be effectively utilized only if the Jazz can get stops on the defensive end of the floor.

Welcome back, Andrei Kirilenko

Tom Haberstroh has explored how badly Utah misses its lanky forward. The Jazz are a far more efficient unit with Kirilenko on the floor. He can he guard virtually every position, whether it's Kobe Bryant in isolation or Pau Gasol on the block. The Lakers' ball movement has been flowing far too freely in the half court, and Kirilenko is a master of disruption. Whereas the precision of the Lakers' inside game can overwhelm Boozer and Millsap, Kirilenko has a knack of anticipating action, demonstrated by his gaudy block and steal rates.

On the offensive end, Kirilenko provides the Jazz with another skilled facilitator who can score at an efficient clip. Whether Kirilenko can perform at full capacity coming off a strained calf is uncertain, but every minute of court time logged by Kirilenko is one fewer minute for overmatched young centers Kyrylo Fesenko and Kosta Koufos, who aren't helping.

Remember what got you here

Yes, the Lakers are big and long, but nobody executes offensive possessions quite like the Jazz. During the regular season, two-thirds of Utah's field goals were assisted, the best in the NBA by a considerable margin. Williams and Boozer orchestrate the pick-and-roll as fluently as any tandem in the league not named Nash-Stoudemire, and the rest of the offense hums efficiently, whether its practitioners are All-Stars or a band of castoffs, second-round picks and undrafted rookies. Execution, not personnel, governs the Jazz's system. Couple that program with the rugged, nasty brand of defense that opponents have come to loathe, and Utah can compete with any squad in the league, even the vaunted champions.

ESPN

John Barrymore
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Utah/LA

Link Copied to Clipboard