Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Wasn't sure if I should just attach this to the Elam thread or not.. Refs,, I'll let you decide..

Quote:

Cleveland Browns restricted free agents expected to sit out OTAs
By Mary Kay Cabot, The Plain Dealer
May 13, 2010, 5:15AM
View full size
Joshua Gunter / The Plain DealerBrowns running back Jerome Harrison doesn't have a contract, so that means he won't be working out with the team next week.CLEVELAND, Ohio — The Browns' restricted free agents -- including starters Jerome Harrison, Abe Elam, D'Qwell Jackson, Matt Roth and Lawrence Vickers -- are likely to skip the team's voluntary organized team activities, which begin Monday, league sources told The Plain Dealer.

All received second-round tender offers, but have yet to sign them. It's doubtful their agents will allow them to risk injury while not under contract. They have until June 15 to sign the one-year tenders, meaning there's a chance some also will miss the mandatory minicamp June 10-12.

Some, including Jackson and Elam, have stated they want multiyear deals and are weighing their options. Jackson, who had surgery in October to repair a torn pectoral muscle, tweeted in March, "It's simple -- either pay me or let me go somewhere else."

Jackson's agent, Brian Mackler, expressed frustration in March that the Browns failed to live up to their promise to give Jackson an extension before last season and said he was tired of excuses. But Browns President Mike Holmgren has made it clear that he can't honor all the promises made by the previous regime.

Elam said Wednesday on his website, abeelam.com, that he wants a multiyear deal and is not sure what will happen. He's one of three Browns' restricted free agents represented by high-profile agent Drew Rosenhaus. The others are Roth and Vickers.

"I was tendered at a second-round level by the Browns but at this point I am weighing my options in hopes of receiving a multiyear deal," Elam wrote. "I am praying everything works out for the best. As of right now my focus is on training and continuing to improve as a player."

All of the restricted free agents have skipped the Browns' off-season workout program, but Jackson has dropped in once or twice. Coach Eric Mangini said he'll focus on the players who do attend. Organized team activities are 11 days of practices leading up to the full-squad camp June 10-12.

So, what options do the players have? They can ask to be traded, hope the Browns are willing to extend their contracts, hold out of camp or play out their one-year tenders. Tenders for four-year veterans such as Harrison, Elam and Jackson are $1.759 million. For Roth, a five-year vet, it's $1.809 million.

Brown gets $5M bonus: Cornerback Sheldon Brown received a $5 million signing bonus from the Browns after being acquired in a trade with the Eagles last month, a league source said.

The trade was contingent on a new deal for Brown, who demanded a trade by the Eagles a year ago because they refused to renegotiate his contract with four years remaining. The Browns didn't extend the deal, which runs through 2012, but added the bonus and tweaked minor points.

A ninth-year pro, Brown will vie battle for a starting job with first-round pick Joe Haden and veteran Eric Wright. The trade also brought linebacker Chris Gocung from the Eagles in exchange for linebacker Alex Hall and fourth- and fifth-round picks in this year's draft.

Gulkis promoted: The Browns promoted Neal Gulkis from director of public relations to vice president-media relations. Gulkis joined the Browns last season after 12 years with the Dolphins. He also worked in media relations for the Saints.

To reach this Plain Dealer reporter: mcabot@plaind.com, 216-999-4670

© 2010 cleveland.com. All rights reserved.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
B
Legend
Legend
B
My hope is we retain Roth...I'd trade any of the others if I could, though I don't really want to see Harrison go..

It would be interesting to know what each of those players is seeking v what we may be offering. I doubt we aren't making any offers and are willing to just let them go after this year.

Not getting offers doesn't mean the guys are worthless, it just means other teams don't want to take on the salary demand and give up a 2nd round pick.

We probably sign them or trade them for 3rd round picks.

Makes it pretty hard to figure out where all of this is going.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Roth, Vickers, Harrison, Elam, Jackson is how my priority would go. Elam and Jackson are holding out for multi year contracts...oh well...My focus was always more on the other three. Without going crazy....whatever we need to do to make Roth happy....do it. Vickers...I would "almost" say the same thing. Harrison I think you can start to stonewall some...but you have to keep in mind he has been stonewalled since he's been drafted.

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I"m pretty fond of keeping Roth, Vickers and Harrison to be honest.. All three are solid. Good to build on at least until you find someone better anyway.

Line Judge, on another thread, said there are something like 200 RFA's that weren't offered contracts by other teams.. and that that is unusual.

Looks like there is more involved than contract length and draft picks.. Not sure how it works,...

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
I'm not sure I've ever seen the answer to this question definitively. I've seen a few different standpoints, so I figure I'll ask to get a clear answer.

What is the deadline for an RFA to sign his tender?

What happens if he does not sign his tender?

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
In the second paragraph...

All received second-round tender offers, but have yet to sign them. It's doubtful their agents will allow them to risk injury while not under contract. They have until June 15 to sign the one-year tenders, meaning there's a chance some also will miss the mandatory minicamp June 10-12.

To be honest, I can't answer question 2. But I am pretty sure the Browns retain their rights....so they don't just become free agents...

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The Browns' restricted free agents -- including starters Jerome Harrison, Abe Elam, D'Qwell Jackson, Matt Roth and Lawrence Vickers -- are likely to skip the team's voluntary organized team activities, which begin Monday, league sources told The Plain Dealer.

Some, including Jackson and Elam, have stated they want multiyear deals and are weighing their options. Jackson, who had surgery in October to repair a torn pectoral muscle, tweeted in March, "It's simple -- either pay me or let me go somewhere else."

Well I'm not one to pull any punches and I certainly won't strart with this bunch..
Harrison/Roth/Vickers..I would find a way to keep these guys at low cost..

Elam/Jackson..errr,,Lame/Nyquil..this would be your last season here.
I don't care much for either player..never have..Jackson you've overhyped yourself just like people in here have done to you and various other LB's that wore a Brown uniform..I have never been impressed with you..

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

What happens if he does not sign his tender

Pete answered your first question..

as to this question,, there can only be a couple of answers..

1. They sign the tender, report to camp, play.

2. Don't sign the tender, don't report to camp, sit out the year. (or until they sign)

3. Have thier agent work a trade with another team that requires the Browns to take less then the tendered pick level... (I'd think that option was being explored all along, just a guess)

Maybe there are other options, but I don't know what they are.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
From the CBA henceforth at the point we are now at (original tender and signing period has been completed)

In the event that a Restricted Free Agent has not signed a Player
Contract with a Club within the Signing Period in the League Year following
the expiration of his last Player Contract, and if the Prior Club by June
1 tenders to the Restricted Free Agent a one year Player Contract of at least
110% of his Paragraph 5 Salary (with all other terms of his prior year contract
carried forward unchanged) or extends the player’s Qualifying Offer,
whichever is greater (the “June 1 Tender”), the Prior Club shall be the only
Club with which the player may negotiate or sign a Player Contract during
the period from June 1 until the Tuesday following the tenth week of
the regular season, at 4:00 p.m. New York time. If the player’s Qualifying
Offer is greater than 110% of the player’s Paragraph 5 Salary (with all other
terms of his prior year contract carried forward unchanged), the Club
may withdraw the Qualifying Offer on June 15 and retain its rights under
the preceding sentence, so long as the Club immediately tenders the player
a one year Player Contract of at least 110% of his Paragraph 5 Salary (with
all other terms of his prior year contract carried forward unchanged) (the
“June 15 Tender”).
(ii) If a Restricted Free Agent described in Subsection 2(i)(i) above
has not signed a Player Contract by the Tuesday following the tenth week
of the regular season, at 4:00 p.m. New York time, the player shall not play
football in the NFL for the remainder of that League Year, absent a showing
to the Impartial Arbitrator of extreme Club or extreme personal hardship.
The determination of the Impartial Arbitrator shall be made within five (5)
days of the application, and shall consider all information relating to such
hardship submitted by such date. The determination of the Impartial Arbitrator
shall be final and binding upon all parties.
(iii) If a Restricted Free Agent does not play in the NFL in a League
Year, his Prior Team shall have the right to tender such player any Qualifying
Offer consistent with Section 2(b) prior to the next League Year’s Restricted
Free Agent Signing Period. In the event such a Qualifying Offer is
tendered, the Prior Team shall have the applicable rights regarding such
player according to such tender, and such player shall have the same rights
regarding negotiations with other Clubs as he had the previous League Year.

What that means is we continue to negotiate long-term deals with them or we can offer them a one year deal with a raise.........
but regardless their rights are ours and ours alone. Hence the name RESTRICTED.

Hope that helps.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
peen,

I'm not certain we could get 3rd round picks for any of them.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

I'm not sure I've ever seen the answer to this question definitively. I've seen a few different standpoints, so I figure I'll ask to get a clear answer.

What is the deadline for an RFA to sign his tender?

What happens if he does not sign his tender?

June 15th. That is when teams can no longer offer and the rights remain with the Browns. The player in question plays for the Browns this season at the tender amount.....unless the player elects to sit out.

I think once the dealdline passes is when we see 1-2 signed to a deal in line with what the browns want or see a player or two traded....for less than a 2nd round pick.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
It's a good year for front-loaded multi-year contracts that WILL NOT effect our cap in future years... Please sign Roth, Vickers and Harrison. As for DQ and Elam... I'm indifferent.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
I am somewhat suprised in all the Harrison love, for a RB that has maybe 2 yrs left in his career and is often injured. I like Harrison as much as the next guy but I am not ready to sign him to a big deal.

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
Legend
Legend
I'm just astonished that you bag on people's affection for players when your screen name is "AndraDavis4MVP".

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
j/c

I'd say Roth and Vickers are definite must-signs. DQ should be signed but isn't 100 per cent crucial. Same goes for Harrison.

Elam....um...feel free to sit out my friend. From early reports from minicamp, Asante would be an upgrade.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Not bagging on anyones appreciation for Harrison and what he did to end the season. Esp since majority of posters on here (myself included) have been harping for him to get the rock for the past 3 years. My issue is that he's 27 already playing a position where around 30 your skills take a drastic dive, and hasn't proven the capibility to stay healthy. Thus I wouldn't give him more than a solid 3 year deal. Plus I really want to see what James Davis and Hardesty can do. Add in Hillis and I dont think it bodes well for Harrison.

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
what i think is the most interesting point of all of it...

If they were so good that they should be paid, wouldnt someone have tried to sign them? no one touched any of these guys...why would they refuse, its that or nothing. No one else is even trying to sign them...they couldve, but didnt.

wheres their gripe...sign the tender.

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
You are making a ton of assumptions.. Yes, he's 27, yes, 30 is the age RB's begin to fade,, but those that do generally have a LOT more milage on them then harrison does..

I just think it's way to early to judge the guy except to say that EVERY single time he's been called upon to produce, he's done so..

What makes people think he's suddenly going to stop is beyond me..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Bear in mind Andra, that most RBs start to hit the skids at 30 due to the workload they've had. Harrison doesn't have the number of carries.

The injury concern is valid though

Legend
Legend

Business period.

Just business. These guys don't really have much of a choice. The agents dance, management tries to play hard ball.

They negotiate. Boring.

It's only May not much to get excited about.

All Pro
All Pro
It's a good idea to at least look like you are serious about getting paid, before you get into the doghouse missing camps. Squeaky wheel and all that.

I suspect some of these guys will report regardless. Particularly Elam and Harrison who have talent coming into their positions. It would be the smart move.

A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams.

John Barrymore
Legend
Legend
I do laugh every time I hear players talk about wanting "long term security" with a long term deal though.

Damn near any NFL contract can easily be dumped by a team. (Outside of superstar contracts with huge guarantees) An average player, who gets a $1-3 million signing bonus isn't secure at all. Have a bad year and the team dumps him the next year and eats the rest of the cap hit for the signing bonus. (when a cap is in effect)

Players with a $20 million signing bonus have long term"security". Players with a $1 million, $2 million, or even a $5 million signing bonus do not.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

Players with a $20 million signing bonus have long term"security". Players with a $1 million, $2 million, or even a $5 million signing bonus do not.

You hand me $5 million, take the appropriate taxes out, and I can start an nice retirement account with the the rest...LOL

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

You hand me $5 million, take the appropriate taxes out, and I can start an nice retirement account with the the rest...LOL

Shoot, I already have that taken care of.

Hand me 5 mil and I am going to blow it over 6-7 years.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Why not,, might as well live it up right?

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
C
Legend
Legend
C
All of the players mentioned in this article will be playing for the Browns when the 2010 season starts.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

All of the players mentioned in this article will be playing for the Browns when the 2010 season starts.

That or will be traded to another team for less than 2nd compensation.

This could be the case with Jackson. Not Harrison, doubtful with Vickers or Elam too. May be even Rogers, but that would have happened pre-draft if anything, probably. (I think he lost all his value with the gun thing)

As for Matt Roth and a large deal............ There has to be a reason the Miami Dolphins cut Roth. He must either have A) Injury issues or B) Attitude issues because he is a good player. I wouldn't sign Roth to a long-term contract too quickly.

Harrison's I'd like to extend at the right price. Someone mentioned he was 27, but he doesn't have many carries. He can still be athletic at 30, it's really not old at all. There haven't been any major injuries to speak of, once he was injured in camp for multiple weeks, but otherwise, I can't think of any big ones. I don't think he can carry the ball 300+ a season. But he can be a feature RB in the NFL. He has good enough vision and quickness.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

There has to be a reason the Miami Dolphins cut Roth

Yeah,, there was a reason..

Quote:

Roth was drafted by the Miami Dolphins in the second round (46th overall) of the 2005 NFL Draft.

Roth played in a reserve role in all 32 games in his first two seasons.

With the departure of Kevin Carter to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and David Bowens to free agency, Roth was named starting defensive end in 2007.

In 2008, Roth moved to outside linebacker after the Dolphins shifted to the 3-4 defense. He started 14 of 16 games.

Roth was the subject of controversy at the beginning of training camp in 2009. According to head coach Tony Sparano, Roth failed the team's initial conditioning test due to an unknown illness.

Roth's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, stated in a television appearance the failed test was due to a groin injury.[2] On September 5, Roth was placed on the Reserve/Non-Football-Injury list. He was later waived on November 24 of that year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Roth#Professional_career

I know, it's wiki, but the base line comments are similar to what I remember

But honestly I could care less about what happened in Miami..

When he came here, he showed up and played very well.. I'd love to keep him..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

It's a good idea to at least look like you are serious about getting paid, before you get into the doghouse missing camps. Squeaky wheel and all that.

I suspect some of these guys will report regardless. Particularly Elam and Harrison who have talent coming into their positions. It would be the smart move.

they will not and realistically should not attend mini-camps b/c if they are injured they are in big trouble financially.

Looking at playbooks OTOH would not hurt them.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

that's the bottom line no matter what the agents or players say.

It's a matter of whether it's a one year deal or a multi-year deal for these players.The ballclubs have the upper hand this year.

I can't imagine any RFAs, especially our RFAs, sitting out the year just to protest not getting a huge contract.If most of the RFAs in the NFL sign for one year imagine how many UFAs will be on the market next year. The market could possibly be flooded with over 300 UFAs.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I can't imagine any RFAs, especially our RFAs, sitting out the year just to protest not getting a huge contract.If most of the RFAs in the NFL sign for one year imagine how many UFAs will be on the market next year. The market could possibly be flooded with over 300 UFAs.

Plus if there's a strike.........Things could get very interesting. The NFL could see some major changes

As for our RFA's, they'll all sign, they're just holding out to either A) Be traded or B) Get offered a contract. Honestly, I'm not sure we'll offer any of them a real contract. Harrison could get one mid-season, same with Roth or Vickers. I don't think Jackson or Elam would be candidates. I still think Jackson might get traded (I figured it would have happened during the draft though)

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

I don't think Jackson or Elam would be candidates. I still think Jackson might get traded (I figured it would have happened during the draft though)

Not sure where this is coming from.... you aren't the only one saying it however..

Jackson was reportedly in tune with Mangini last off season.. they seemed to be on the same page and if you remember, Jackson was given much love in the press by Mangini and Ryan..

What's been said by anyone in the know that would cause any of us to think he's not wanted?

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

What's been said by anyone in the know that would cause any of us to think he's not wanted?

I guess it's a gut feeling between him complaining about getting 2nd round tender and the fact that Jackson doesn't quite fit our defense. While he's better in coverage than Trusnik/Bowens, he's not as good against the run. Plus Fujita will be playing strongside, so theoretically he should be playing the TE. Jackson being an RFA seemed to make it even likelier (since it's the last season of his contract). I just figured may be we could get a 3rd round pick for a guy who wouldnl't be on our team next year

Definitely no inside source or anything though. Just my own feelings

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

I guess it's a gut feeling between him complaining about getting 2nd round tender and the fact that Jackson doesn't quite fit our defense.

If complaining about a contract is the watermark for deciding between a guy being here or not being here,, Cribbs would be gone!

On the other hand of course,, Holmgren has made it clear he doesn't like negotiating contracts in the press.. so I'm sure Jacksons agent hasn't endeared himself to the new management team... And certainly, Jackson isn't close to the impact player that Cribbs is...

As for him not fitting in to our defense.. again, let me refer you to the comments made by both Mangini and Ryan last summer... They loved the guy..

Could it be that they've changed thier mind.. Absolutly.. with him missing half the season there was some growth in the D.. so there may be good reason to think that...

I'm just saying, don't let this contract stuff make you think that the Browns don't want him.. I just don't think it means a thing.

JMO....

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

If a RFA does not sign his tender and chooses to hold out, what is his roster status?

I am guessing he does not count against the 53...or any other camp cut-down number on the way to 53.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
good question.

I'll guess that they are just considered a hold-out like Crabtree with the only team with their rights being their present team,

I'll guess that they can't be traded until they sign a tender or a long term contract.

I'll also guess that if they sit out this year they will be UFAs next season.

That's alot of guesswork b/c I don't have the info to say for certain.

Legend
Legend
If I am not mistaken, they go on the "Reserve, Did Not Report" list. That exempts them from taking a roster spot, and also disqualifies them from earning a year of service if they hold out for the season. It would also revert their status to the same as it was this year. They would be RFA next year under the same terms as this year.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2010/05/cleveland_browns_lb_dqwell_jac.html

Cleveland Browns' LB D'Qwell Jackson confirms he will not attend OTAs

By Mary Kay Cabot, The Plain Dealer
May 13, 2010, 4:16PM

CLEVELAND -- Browns linebacker D'Qwell Jackson confirmed in a text message that he won't be attending voluntary organized team activities, which begin Monday.

"I won't be attending OTAs, but I have a clear head and ready for the season so I can play the best ball I've played of my career!'' Jackson wrote. He added that he has nothing else to say right now.

Jackson is one of a handful of Browns restricted free agents -- all starters or key players -- who are expected to the skip the voluntary practices, which lead up to the mandatory minicamp June 10-12. The others are safety Abe Elam, running back Jerome Harrison, linebacker Matt Roth, and fullback Lawrence Vickers.

League sources told the Plain Dealer on Wednesday that all are expected to sit out the workouts, at least at the start. Elam also said on his website, www.abeelam.com that he wants a multi-year deal and is weighing his options,

The Browns have added depth at most of the positions in case things don't work out with the RFAs, all of whom have yet to sign their one-year tenders.

Jackson and his agent have expressed their desire for a long-term extension, saying the Browns promised them one before last season. Jackson, who led the NFL with 188 tackles in 2008, is recovered from the torn pectoral surgery he had in October.

Legend
Legend
I'm not nearly as concerned about signing DQ as I am Matt Roth. I'd like to see Roth be the prioority... that kid can flat out play.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Has Roth made any statements?

What about Vickers and Harrison?

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns RFA's expected to sit out OTA's

Link Copied to Clipboard