Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
new thread to continue off-season Cavaliers discussion...

Eat it Phil...
S
Legend
Legend
S
bill cowher's house in strongsville thinks this lebron house hunting rumor is a bit ridiculous.

Legend
Legend
Orlando Pace's place in Sandusky agrees.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Honestelly I think LeBron has already made up his mind in terms of where he's going to.

Quote:

It's the trade scenarios. Is anyone really reading these and keeping a straight face? The Cavs without LeBron had a better chance of coming back from 3-2 than any of this happening.

My bad for trying to post ideas on how to improve the team. Carry on discussing where LeBron will go. We have an entire freaking summer to talk about it. Here's a crazy idea how about YOU suggest a way to improve the team!

Quote:

We'll give up on a team in the middle of a playoff series but dream up pipe dream trade scenarios in hopes of LeBron staying.

No a pipe dream is thinking this current team can win a championship with no upgrades

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Here's a crazy idea how about YOU suggest a way to improve the team!

What good is it going to do?

But carry on, I apologize for being negative.

S
Legend
Legend
S
i don't mind the trade scenarios. some of them are far fetched. but they are fun to talk about.

the more that time passes with this team and the situation, the better i feel about it. emotions were high a few days after the cavs exited, but truth be told, lebron was hurt, an elbow is harder to deal with injury than a finger, the celtics are damn good as they are coming home with a 2-0 lead, and like i have said, the cavs do have a good team.

people are piling on this team and their talent level, and while they are not the lakers, they are capable of competing with those teams.

what dan gilbert can do is open up his wallet and bring in a coach. i don't believe phil jackson will coach the cavs, but if gilbert offers him that supposed 12m? how can you turn that down? a chance to coach lebron, a chance to cement your legacy by leading that team to a title? that would be so difficult for him to say no.

i know larry brown's name has been thrown around, but didn't lebron have that thing with him from 2004 in athens?

brown is a great coach, and if lbj signed off on that i'd take it although i just hate that he can't stay in one place. it's not good for the future of the team as he offers zero stability.

i like doc rivers, although he's a chicago native and may go to the bulls regardless of lbj going there or not. i like byron scott, as i think he could be of great assistance to both mo and lebron.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Looks like if Gilbert is willing to open his pocketbook, it may not be such a far fetched idea.

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/05/19/phil-jackson-expects-likely-pay-cut/

LOS ANGELES -- Lakers coach Phil Jackson probably didn't help his negotiating power when he admitted whatever salary he might receive next season would be "ridiculous.''

Jackson confirmed before Wednesday's Game 2 of the Western Conference finals against Phoenix he has been approached about taking a salary cut if he returns to the Lakers next season as a free agent. Jackson is making about $12 million this season, but the Lakers want to trim costs in this tough economy.

"It's still a ridiculous salary, whatever it is,'' Jackson said when asked if a report is accurate his salary could be cut to $5 million.

It remains to be seen if Jackson, 64, will return for what would be a 12th Lakers season. He has indicated there is a better chance of being back if his team makes the NBA Finals.

Share12 "Yes, it's been indicated that it will be a salary cut,'' said Jackson, who previously has touched upon ramifications of the nation's tough economy on the NBA. "I'm not going to say (Jackson's salary would be) down. That's kind of like weird to say stuff like that.''

Jackson is the NBA's highest-paid coach. Then again, he has won a league-record 10 titles.

If Jackson does return next season, stay tuned to see how "ridiculous'' his contract will be.

“It doesn't make sense to hire smart people and tell them what to do; we hire smart people so they can tell us what to do.” -Steve Jobs.
Legend
Legend
Looks like if the Cavs pursue it that it could come down to two things..

1. Is Phil, who is already a millionaire many times over, going to give the Lakers a hometown discount or is he going to leave for a few more million...

or

2. If it's not about the money, is he going to stay in LA where they are on the cusp or winning yet another championship or is he up for another challenge..

And of course it all has a lot to do with LeBron staying or going... the thing that bothers me the most in all of this is the timing.. we don't just need the right things to happen, we need them to happen in the right order between signing a coach, going after another big name player, resigning LeBron.. it just seems like dominoes where if the first one doesn't fall right, none of them are going to fall right.

yebat' Putin
N
Legend
Legend
N
i'm not worried about timing, every team/coach we care about is waiting on LeBron.

in this case, LeBron is THE domino. so, it's not going to hurt us as much as it normally would hurt a team for their best player to leave them in the wind for a couple weeks (as long as he re-ups of course).

also, throw my unique, inventive trade scenario with Philly out the window. Unless LeBron wants to prove he's better than MJ by winning a title with a coach that MJ couldn't (76ers hired Doug Collins as HC).

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

every team/coach we care about is waiting on LeBron.

in this case, LeBron is THE domino.

I understand that.. but what if LeBron isn't too excited about signing with the Cavs while their coaching situation is in limbo? And other free agents don't want to commit until they know LeBron is going to be here and who the coach is going to be? .. but the coaches are waiting on LeBron?

It's a circle. I know LeBron is the key but we don't know what needs to happen for him to re-sign, if anything can be done to get him to re-sign.

yebat' Putin
N
Legend
Legend
N
LeBron will not resign without knowing who the coach is, I agree.

I think Ferry can handle doing both at the same time (getting a coach to agree contingent upon LeBron signing and then signing LeBron).

as long as we don't get an Elton Brand or Turkoglu scenario (someone backing out of an agreement after everything was done), it'll work out fine.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

LeBron will not resign without knowing who the coach is, I agree.

I think Ferry can handle doing both at the same time (getting a coach to agree contingent upon LeBron signing and then signing LeBron).

as long as we don't get an Elton Brand or Turkoglu scenario (someone backing out of an agreement after everything was done), it'll work out fine.

That's what I'm hoping for,...

N
Legend
Legend
N
don't worry OoooRah, we are here to help calm any nerves over LeBron here.

like Cuban coming out and saying he will be going full force at LeBron. I laugh it off, and here is why:

Ferry would have to agree to a sign-n-trade with Dallas for Cuban to pull off such a trade. Even if LeBron said that he would walk to NY for nothing or he could trade him to Dallas, why would Ferry trade him to Dallas? They have nothing to offer us except for old players and bad contracts.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/dallas.htm

Dirk at $21mil --- I doubt Ferry would do a straight swap of LeBron for Dirk. And I wouldn't want him to as Dirk has shown he is not quite good enough to lead a team to a championship on his own (he's been upset in the 1st round as a 1seed and a 2seed now, only team in NBA history that has that on their record)

Dampier at $13mil, Terry at $10mil, Butler at $10mil (don't make us the new Wizards), Kidd at $8.5mil, Marion at $7mil

all overpriced and/or aged. no thanks to the bunch.

and they don't even really have any young assets we would want either as Barea and Beaubois are both undersized offensive-minded PGs (we have enough of those).

so, next time you hear Mavericks chatter, you can start laughing.

#gmstrong
S
Legend
Legend
S
yeah, there will not be a sign and trade with lbj and the cavs, i just can't see this team letting lbj have his cake and eat it too, just so we can get some crap player back or draft picks that won't matter.

if he wants to leave, let him leave that 30m extra too.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

yeah, there will not be a sign and trade with lbj and the cavs, i just can't see this team letting lbj have his cake and eat it too, just so we can get some crap player back or draft picks that won't matter.

if he wants to leave, let him leave that 30m extra too.

I won't go that far. I think if we can get back enough young assets to jump-start our rebuilding efforts by a couple years, then there will be no real reason to not do a sign-n-trade if LeBron makes it clear he's gone.

I'm just having a tough time finding a sign-n-trade that is actually better for our team (long-term) than just letting him walk (Philly trade was one).

#gmstrong
S
Legend
Legend
S
what team is willing to give up young assets?

why would lebron want to be traded to a team while they give up young assets?

the only situation i can see where a sign and trade is if you want david lee, because the knicks can't keep david lee.

i honestly don't think getting david lee is the proper way to go about this thing. cleveland's best chance to attain players if lebron goes, is to get them through the lottery/draft.

nobody is going to give up anything worthwhile, and even if they wanted to, why would lbj trade positions with a team that gives up young talent.

N
Legend
Legend
N
what you need is a team that is willing to give up young assets in order to make a veteran team a championship caliber team.

also known as what the Cavs are willing to do if we keep James (trading guys like AV, Hickson, Gibson in order to get that player to put us over the top).

the problem is, with so many teams throwing out seasons in order to get ready for THIS offseason, there are not the usual amount of teams that have both of those conditions. most teams are now either have veterans or young assets and not both. so, it's going to be tough (and perhaps impossible) to find a match if we did have to go that route.

letting him walk might be our 2nd best option (obviously resigning is our best), but i'm not going to shut down the possibility before exhaustin the options.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
http://www.cleveland.com/ohio-sports-blog/index.ssf/2010/05/lebron_james_will_leave_says_f.html

LeBron James will leave, says former NFL great Jim Brown
By Starting Blocks
May 21, 2010, 11:27AM
Ray Matjasic, PD fileJim Brown poses during the Cleveland Browns training camping in 1958.The greatest running back in NFL history, Jim Brown, said in a recent radio interview that LeBron James will leave Cleveland because of the way he has been treated by the public.

Brown told radio station WVIE-AM that he didn't like the backlash James has received since the Cleveland Cavaliers were eliminated from the playoffs.

"You know, it's so unfortunate that a man that's got so much would feel so bad right now because of what he couldn't do. I think he's being treated unfairly,'' Brown said. "I think the expectations were too high, and I don't think he's gonna stay in Cleveland because of it. I think as one man, there's only so much you can do, and for people to analyze you and to basically say humiliating things about you, when you've given all those things through the years to that franchise, I think it's an atrocity.''

After back and forth thought all year, I think Lebron will leave. If he wanted to stay he would let it be known, making Cleveland a more attractive choice for free agents.

On another note, have the fans been ripping Lebron? I really havent been following sports since the season ended.

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

On another note, have the fans been ripping Lebron? I really havent been following sports since the season ended.

the only incident with LeBron vs. Cleveland fans was game5 when he was booed because he basically was not trying to win that game.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
even then im not so sure the boos were targeted at Lebron, I think that was for a team effort as a whole.

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
What a waste of an article. I wonder what Frisman Jackson thinks LBJ will do.

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
N
Legend
Legend
N
the boos definitely got louder at one point when LeBron stepped up to the FT line (unless the producers upped the volume).

and it was justified. i mean, the team follows Lebron. he quits. they all quit.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Jim Brown, you are full of crap.

If LeBron leaves it is because LeBron wants to leave. Nothing more, nothing less.

1. LeBron has stated that his decision was made before the season.
2. If his skin is so thin that he's going to leave after a few boos following one of the classic Cleveland sports meltdowns of his own making, then well... that's his damned problem.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

If LeBron leaves it is because LeBron wants to leave. Nothing more, nothing less.

2. If his skin is so thin that he's going to leave after a few boos following one of the classic Cleveland sports meltdowns of his own making, then well... that's his damned problem.

The reaction from Cleveland was NOTHING compared to what he'd see in New York or Chicago in the same situation. lol

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
To counter Jim Browns assinine opinion.. I would say that it has been LeBron's intention to leave all along and that the quitting was to get the reaction he knew he would get so that he could then justify leaving and he wouldn't have to just come right and say, "It's about the money and the endorsements and the bright lights and the big city and I'm too big and too good for y'all. Best of luck."

yebat' Putin
S
Legend
Legend
S
lebron got off easy with his performance against boston. if he put up that kind of a game in madison square garden, against the celtics, tied 2-2, they'd have threw him over the ledge.

he got off easy. hurt or not hurt. they'd never let him hear the end of it.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

"You know, it's so unfortunate that a man that's got so much would feel so bad right now because of what he couldn't do. I think he's being treated unfairly,'' Brown said. "I think the expectations were too high, and I don't think he's gonna stay in Cleveland because of it. I think as one man, there's only so much you can do, and for people to analyze you and to basically say humiliating things about you, when you've given all those things through the years to that franchise, I think it's an atrocity.''

That's gotta be just about the dumbest thing I've ever read/heard, at least regarding sports.

Shut up Mr. Brown.

"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"
GO ROCKETS
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Sixers shopping No. 2 pick?

A number of teams have already looked into the availability of the Philadelphia 76ers' No. 2 pick in the June 24 draft.

The asking price? Several sources said they were told that the Sixers want their trade partner to take Elton Brand off their hands. Good luck with that. With Brand set to earn $51 million over the course of the next three years, he's virtually impossible to trade.

As much as teams like the Minnesota Timberwolves, for instance, love Evan Turner, I don't think they love him that much.

ESPN link

So where do we sign up for this trade?

Shaq in a sign and trade
JJ hickson
Next years 1st

For

Elton Brand
#2 Overall

I think Gilbert would be willing to cut a check for $51 million if it meant pairing LeBron and Turner together. That or take one of the potential stud bigs. Pipe dream yes but today was a slow day.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Better yet, we do that same deal, but Washington gets dumb, and takes Evan Turner.

Which leaves us with John Wall at #2.

Hey, if you're gonna dream, dream big

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I think Gilbert would be willing to cut a check for $51 million ...

Sure, just write a check for $51 million... I mean I know the guys rich but he ain't that rich... $51 million is a LOT OF MONEY.

yebat' Putin
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

I think Gilbert would be willing to cut a check for $51 million ...

Sure, just write a check for $51 million... I mean I know the guys rich but he ain't that rich... $51 million is a LOT OF MONEY.

if we resign Lebron, we're in luxury tax all 3 years. So, that's actually $102million (dollar for dollar)

#gmstrong
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
I am an OSU homer, I love OSU basketball, Turner isn't worth it. He isn't worth the $102 million. Lot of people compare him to Brandon Roye, I dont see it myself and I have seen majority of his games over the last 3 seasons.

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Better yet, we do that same deal, but Washington gets dumb, and takes Evan Turner.

Which leaves us with John Wall at #2.

Hey, if you're gonna dream, dream big

i don't think that's all that far fetched. certainly would bet it or anything, but i think it's somewhat possible.

elton brand is a hell of a player when he's healthy. too bad he never is.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

If he leaves stating he wasn't treated well then that is the cop out of the century! This city and these fans have supported him and everything he's done here! If he uses this excuse he's a coward! Man up and just say it's something I'd like to try. That, I can accept.

Jim Brown?....eh, who cares what he says.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I would love to see Evan Turner and LeBron play together, but when you truly look at it, they are pretty much the same player. Strong driving to the rim, average at best jump shot.

On the flip side, Evan is a great defender and only played one true year at PG. If you coulkd develop his jumper and his ability to be the main ball handler, you may have something.

As much as I hate to say it, LeBron and John Wall are a much better combo.

“It doesn't make sense to hire smart people and tell them what to do; we hire smart people so they can tell us what to do.” -Steve Jobs.
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Quote:

If he leaves stating he wasn't treated well then that is the cop out of the century! This city and these fans have supported him and everything he's done here! If he uses this excuse he's a coward! Man up and just say it's something I'd like to try. That, I can accept.

Jim Brown?....eh, who cares what he says.

if lebron needs proof that the fans care, he should go and take a look at the sign that the lebron 2010 website put up, with all the donations from cleveland fans all over the world.

it's not a reason he'd leave, and i don't believe he thinks that either.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Obviously this probably isn't the same exact stuff he said to Maurice Clarrett before he got stupid. But I wouldn't doubt that it wasn't something along the same lines.

I just lose more respect for Brown the more I hear him talk.

Last edited by Psydeffect; 05/21/10 09:20 PM.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Quote:

Jim Brown: "I think the expectations were too high"

Jim Brown is right. If Lebron goes to Chicago, or NY, or NJ, expectations won't be high. - He can go there and score 15 points in a crucial playoff game and nobody will care. We set the expectations too high for him here.

In Cleveland, we expect a 2 time NBA MVP to deliver during the playoffs, shame on us.

I hate to say it because I love what he meant to the Browns, but Jim Brown is showing his age.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
J/C

All of these guys went to college out of high school, and started their careers at a slightly later age than Lebron. However, It's all relative as a typical NBA season is longer, and gives more wear and tear than a typical college season. - What I'm saying here is that because Lebron James has been playing in the NBA since age 18, I expect his career to run the length of other NBA stars.

Not counting his stint with the Wizards, Michal Jordan played from 1984-1998 - 14 years, minus a little layoff to play baseball.

David Robinson played from 1989-2003. - 14 years.

Larry Bird played from 1979-1992. -13 years.

Charles Barkley - 1984-2000 -16 years.

You get the point.

Which means Lebron's career is about halfway over. - The elbow injury is to be expected with a career that is 7 years old. More injuries can be expected over the next 7 years. He isn't a kid anymore, his career can't be considered "short" anymore.

He may not be able to afford to go to a rebuilding project like New York, or New Jersey. He may want to get the monkey off his back as quick as possible to shut everybody up. - Here, Chicago, Miami, Dallas, or Cleveland are his best options.

I can't see him playing in Chicago. - It sucks for him because Chicago is a great town, and they can provide a good supporting cast from the outset. - But it is Chicago, and that's Michael Jordan's town. - Lebron would be placing himself in an uncomfortable position if he goes there. - Win one championship, and you're good, but MJ won 6. Win no championships and you suck.

Dallas- Interesting option. - Western conference team so he wouldn't have to face Cavs fans as often. Great supporting cast. The opportunity to face Kobe several times a season. However, their owner is cool, but has a questionable personality. - Why go here and play for this off the wall owner when he could stay here with an ownership/GM team that he is seemingly comfortable under? - Maybe Dallas, but I don't think so.

Cleveland - Great owner, great GM, great supporting cast. Teammates that he is familiar with, and who are all under contract for several more years. He has already developed a rich history and tradition with this team. - Really, the only sensible option for him. He doesn't have to win a title here and we will love him regardless.

If I'm LBJ, this isn't a hard decision.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Jim Brown wears me out ... Enough !

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Cleveland Cavaliers Off-Season Thread

Link Copied to Clipboard