Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Just trying to keep this board in the sane realm and away from the druges of the official board. Sometimes people get carried away on here based on their expectations or from an article they read. Sure the article is a nice feel good fluff piece, but thats about all it is. If there wasn't an article saying what a hard worker he was, how tough he has had (not sure how tough he really had it, hes a bright guy that worked during college lets be honest here) no body on here would be claiming he's rob ryan's Picasso ( ) or Ryans pet project etc... And people would be saying "i dont care what his 40 time is or how much he can lift its about football skill and what football speed and what he does on the field or anyother cliche you think of. I know, I've been posting in the draft forum! And this guy doesn't have any experience.

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
Legend
Legend
I'd really like for him to succeed too... I'd be very surprised, though. Just being a freak of nature (in a good way) isn't enough to make it in the nfl. What happened to that "raw" DT from mizzouri who was 6'5" 340# and did backflips? I can't even remember his name.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Just trying to keep this board in the sane realm and away from the druges of the official board.

never was, probably never will be your responsibility.... you ain't my daddy....

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
This:

Quote:

A 28 yr old who has never played football is not making a pro roster, practice squad or otherwise. Sure its a nice story, but its not happening.

Yeah & you would be the first to say the same thing if this was a story right from the college about ANY NFL team giving this guy a chance....

Well, guess what???? The Browns just did! To say he won't make it just shows you how wrong you are...He has already made it to camp & got a contract....even though you would have said he'd never make it this far.

Sometimes it's best not to say anything....wait what is it Mom always said???

If You can't say ANYTHING nice????..............

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
I never said anything about him coming to camp, I said making the team or practice squad. Nice try though.

Also remember we signed a kicker to a 2 yr contract in camp last week only to cut him the next day. Getting a non guaranteed for camp means nothing.

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
He's got a shot here,we're not going to the SB,or even the playoffs in the foreseeable future.Got plenty of time to devolpe a raw rookie.Of coarse by the time he learns how to play he'll be getting the Senior discounts at Dennys.
But,he'll be a young 55.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
R
2nd String
2nd String
R
home
........................ ht. wt age .yrs
Rogers, Shaun DL 6-4 350 31 10 mentor
Coleman, Kenyon DL 6-5 295 31 9 mentor
Rubin, Ahtyba DL 6-2 330 23 3 competition
Smith, Robaire DL 6-5 310 32 11 mentor
Geathers, Clifton DE 6'7" 299 22 R competition
Schaefering, Brian DL 6-4 295 26 1 comp
Adams, Titus DL n/a 305 27 1 comp
Grennan, Keith DE 6-4 298 26 1 comp
Mosley, C.J. DL 6-3 305 26 6 comp
Miller, Swanson DT 6-4 310 24 R comp
Robinson, Derreck DL 6-4 295 28 4 comp
Sanford, Brian DL 6-2 280 22 R comp

Danso, Kwaku DL 6-5 336 28 R

He has a chance

Last edited by RoosteR; 05/25/10 10:10 PM.
A
All Pro
All Pro
A
In some ways he reminds me of Rubin. I didn't think much of him when we got him. I hoped he'd pan out, but thought it unlikely. Now I'm very glad we have him.
I know it's different. Rubin started at Iowa State, and had ok stats. I still thought he was camp fodder when he first got here too.
I hope this kid sticks and becomes a monster. I mean how cool would it be for the Cleveland Browns to get lucky for once?

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Rubin was a 6th round pick playing NT, a position that doesn't light up the stat sheet. These guys dont compare at all. Comparing him to Rubin is an insult to Rubin who has played the game a long time.

Legend
Legend
NTU Andra but this kid has a TON of talent in him, HOWEVER he also needs a TON of work. Unless he learns fast and I mean really fast he won't be around long due to his age.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
According to the article, Mangini has essentially given Ryan one spot for anyone he wants to take on as a developmental guy..... that tells me that unless this kid royally sucks and just can't get the mental side of the game, he's going to be on the practice squad developing for us.

If he shows any kind of promise at all and shows signs of getting it, I'd actually look for him to be on the 53, because a player with his measurables that is starting to get it may well get snatched up once other teams catch wind of him.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
The Kid will get the mental side (he is very bright) but at 28 the light has to come on QUICK

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
To raise money for school he took on three jobs: working days as a butcher at Sam’s Club, stocking shelves overnight at Target and cooking at Burger King.

All Pro
All Pro
Quote:

The Kid will get the mental side (he is very bright) but at 28 the light has to come on QUICK

He's not a kid. The clock is ticking and even though Ryan has been given a year to develop him that doesn't mean they'll work with him that long. As far as I'm concerned he's just an interesting story to follow through camp but anything else is kind of questionable. He's a man who made it to the NFL the hard way and now has to stay by being equally hard. Or he could be a victim of the NFL numbers game.

"Let people think this is a dumpster fire," - Mike Pettine
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'd really like for him to succeed too... I'd be very surprised, though. Just being a freak of nature (in a good way) isn't enough to make it in the nfl. What happened to that "raw" DT from mizzouri who was 6'5" 340# and did backflips? I can't even remember his name.

This is who I was talking about. It was OK State, not Mizzou. Also, it was 370#, not 340#.

Walter Thomas

Point is, huge athletic freaks come around all the time. Sometimes, work ethic is the problem. Sometimes, football ability and instincts are the problem. Looks like the former isn't an issue with our new Ghanian, but he's got a long way to go in the second arena. He's not just behind the 8-ball... he's darn near touching it.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
j/c
If I'm understanding this right, Ryan get's to pick one guy he likes and attempt to develop him. I love the idea from an organizational level and I really hope this guy pans out like Ryan has envisioned,but I can't help but think that there are many other undrafted FA's sitting at home right now that would have a much better chance to succeed at this level than the one he chose.

I'm just hoping that there's more to this guy than what I'm reading.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Where is the article in which Mangini said that Ryan can keep one guy he wants to develop? I haven't seen this, so perhaps I missed it. Also I would much rather keep a titus brown, marcus bernard, or schaffering to develop.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
I believe he is currently playing for the Rio Grande Dorados int he af2 league

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
from the original article
Quote:

Unfazed by the information that Danso had never advanced beyond a brief appearance at second string on the East Carolina depth charts, Ryan was transfixed as the player bench-pressed 225 pounds 39 times. So much so that even after Ryan continued to scout players with much better pedigrees at more important schools, Danso was the one he kept remembering. And when Browns head coach Eric Mangini told him he could have one player to bring in with the intent of keeping around for most of the year to develop, Ryan knew immediately whom he wanted.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Where is the article in which Mangini said that Ryan can keep one guy he wants to develop? I haven't seen this, so perhaps I missed it. Also I would much rather keep a titus brown, marcus bernard, or schaffering to develop.

Couple of things:

1. We are actually spending way to much time trying to convince you that you could be wrong,,, something that if you are smart at all, you already know.

2. Where it was written was in one of the articles on this thread, may have been the one that started it,,I ain't looking it up for you.

3. As far as Brown, Benard or Schefferding, I think they have already proven, to a degree, that they deserve more time.. Unless someone beats them out, I suspect they will be on the roster...

Danso is more than likely a PS guy.. Could be more, could be washing cars by july,, Dunno....

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Quote:

Couple of things:

1. We are actually spending way to much time trying to convince you that you could be wrong,,, something that if you are smart at all, you already know.

2. Where it was written was in one of the articles on this thread, may have been the one that started it,,I ain't looking it up for you.

3. As far as Brown, Benard or Schefferding, I think they have already proven, to a degree, that they deserve more time.. Unless someone beats them out, I suspect they will be on the roster...

Danso is more than likely a PS guy.. Could be more, could be washing cars by july,, Dunno....

It was already looked up for me, if you were smart at all you'd know that.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Couple of things:

It was already looked up for me, if you were smart at all you'd know that.

well, if you were smart, you'd know that I wasn't referring to looking up the article,, you'd see that I was referring to you knowing that you could be wrong..

Apparently I was incorrect about that...

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Well, if you took the time to read what I wrote, then you would have known I was responding to your comments about not making any NFL teams or their PS. The way you were putting it was like "No NFL team would even bother with this kid", & I was letting you know that we just did. Big difference In making the team vs giving the kid a chance. Comprende' ?

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
I
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
I
NRTU

Didn't anyone watch 'The Blind Side'? Although this guy wasn't drafted in the first round, don't roll the credits on this kid yet. If he's was willing to work three jobs, goto school, AND play football then I bet he'll be willing to do whatever it takes to wear brown and orange next year.

Legend
Legend
THAT alone makes putting him on the roster worth it. This is the kind of infectious, internal attitude it takes to become a winner. More teams probably have one of these guys than we like to believe don't.

Last edited by OoooRahJoice; 05/26/10 06:46 PM.
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Quote:

THAT alone makes putting him on the roster worth it. This is the kind of infectious, internal attitude it takes to become a winner. More teams probably have one of these guys than we like to believe don't.

Good then they can add me to the roster too! For my infectious internal attitude and love for the Browns!

Legend
Legend
Quote:

and love for the Browns!

And all their players!

Quote:

Residential David Veikune Hater

Oops ... Maybe not.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
HAHA! Yeah..... There's a few others I would love to kick off my team as well, though we got rid of the #1 this offseason cough twinkletoes lewsi cough.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

HAHA! Yeah..... There's a few others I would love to kick off my team as well, though we got rid of the #1 this offseason cough twinkletoes lewsi cough.

Nice that you think it's ok to rag on a guy because he faltered at the end of his career... Most do....

No matter what, I always thought that Lewis gave everything he had.. at the end, he didn't have much,,

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
No I rag on the guy because hes a pos for an excuse of a human being. That and he stunk it up as a Brown, was a bad signing, got in the way of better players (Harrison), was a cancer in the locker room, never embraced being in Cleveland or the fans, only came here because no one else would sign him, danced like he was auditioning for dancing with the stars, didnt hit the hole hard, cared more about his stats than the team winning, etc... Yeah you're right I have a vendetta against aging players milking it and coming to Cleveland (David Givens, Ted Washington, Willie McGinnest, Joe Andruzzi, Trent Dilfer, Barton, Jake Delhomme, etc..)

Edit: Jamal had a nice 2007 season as Brown, I admit that. Still had a hard time rooting for a jerk that sells coke to 14 yr olds.

Last edited by AndraDavis4MVP; 05/26/10 11:31 PM.

All Pro
All Pro
Jamal's number has transferred to Hardesty. Can you just let it go? It's over.

A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams.

John Barrymore
A
All Pro
All Pro
A
Quote:

Not to temper anyone's enthusiasm here ..... but the guy couldn't get on the field at ECU ........

He's 28 ......

He might be a physical specimen ..... but he literally has no experience. He's a nice story ..... but will probably wind up being a story without much of a happy ending.

He has his shot ..... but it's probably the longest of longshots.

I like to think I am among the best of tempered enthusiasms yet every so often I hear of a story of the human spirit that will not quit and finally gets an opportunity to develop and shine. Can Danso do it, we all know what a longshot that is, the guy could not start or even play at east carolina yet...yet he impressed Ryan enough to get a tryout. When a coach pushes a player who yearns to learn and excel and already possesses freakish physical skills who knows what can happen..Could this be a story like the "blind Side" where a kid with no football acumen...he did not understand the game...learns the game and becomes a powerhouse?

In Mike Holmgren the Browns finally have a leader open and ready to add Players wherever he can find them. He burns to turn this team around. Players like this can almost have a karmic destiny...I hope he realizes his dream for the Browns.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Umm...Joe, Oher played football since he was 7 yrs old. The movie took its liberty to pull more on the heart strings. He was a big time recruit coming out of High School playing at a great football school. Their stories dont even compare.

Legend
Legend
Honestelly Andra what's the point of saying he won't make the team? When you say that it's kind of like no ish sherlock! The odds are stacked against him but people want to be optimistic for him and hope he can succeed. Also Oher had a LOT more things going against him than this kid. If you don't believe me than read some interviews on Oher and don't just watch the movie.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Never seen the movie thanks though. The Oher thing was brought up by AkronJoe, not me. I just said that Oher has played football since he was a kid and was a 5 star recruit coming out of highschool and played in a big time program at a big position and was a first round pick. Drawing comparisons to him and Danso is idiotic. Way to not pay attention and put words into my mouth.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

The Oher thing was brought up by AkronJoe, not me. I just said that Oher has played football since he was a kid and was a 5 star recruit coming out of highschool and played in a big time program at a big position and was a first round pick.

Yes and I basically said was trying to say that it was a miracle he was even able to play football in the first place because of the school he went too and his life situation. So the other guy has as good of a chance to overcome a form of adversity as well and shouldn't be written off.

Quote:

Drawing comparisons to him and Danso is idiotic.

Why? Both are feel good stories of people having to overcome difficulties in there lives in order to play football.

Quote:

Way to not pay attention and put words into my mouth.

Oh no, how will I be able to sleep at night?

Maybe you should reread my post before assuming I'm seriously busting your chops and not joking around.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

No I rag on the guy because hes a pos for an excuse of a human being. That and he stunk it up as a Brown, was a bad signing, got in the way of better players (Harrison), was a cancer in the locker room, never embraced being in Cleveland or the fans, only came here because no one else would sign him, danced like he was auditioning for dancing with the stars, didnt hit the hole hard, cared more about his stats than the team winning, etc... Yeah you're right I have a vendetta against aging players milking it and coming to Cleveland (David Givens, Ted Washington, Willie McGinnest, Joe Andruzzi, Trent Dilfer, Barton, Jake Delhomme, etc..)

Edit: Jamal had a nice 2007 season as Brown, I admit that. Still had a hard time rooting for a jerk that sells coke to 14 yr olds.

Right on brother!! kicking that low life just never gets old.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Post deleted by Referee7

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns rookie in midst of unlikely journey

Link Copied to Clipboard