Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Interesting that 3 catch passes ........

Could be called going way out on a limb ...... lol

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2010/05/five_cleveland_browns_returnin.html

Five Cleveland Browns returning players who might shine in 2010
By Tony Grossi, The Plain Dealer
May 24, 2010, 11:30AM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- As Browns organized team activity practices head into their second week, news is scarce. This is the time for predictions and analysis.
Thus, here is a list of five players returning from the 2009 roster who have the potential for the biggest improvement in impact on the team in 2010.

• Brian Robiskie: The second-year receiver dressed for 11 games as a rookie and caught passes in only three of them. If one OTA practice open to the media is any indication, he should at least quintuple his season total of seven catches.

• Ahtyba Rubin: The team was 4-1 after he took over for injured Shaun Rogers at nose tackle. Entering his third season, his emergence could move Rogers to right end in the three-man front.

• Matt Roth: He had four sacks in the six games he played after joining the team via waivers from Miami on Nov. 25. His addition, plus the insertion of Rubin, improved the run defense immensely. If he would just play out the season and prove his short-term run was no fluke, his request for a long-term contract should be met.

• Chansi Stuckey: He suffered culture shock after joining the Browns in the Braylon Edwards trade with the Jets on Oct. 7. He didn't catch a pass until his fourth game and wound up with 19 receptions. With a fresh re-start in the program, he should develop into a reliable slot receiver for an experienced quarterback like Jake Delhomme.

• Evan Moore: From the time he was elevated from the practice squad for the 12th game, this 6-6 tight end proved to have the surest hands on the team. He finished with 12 catches in five games -- one more reception than free agent pickup Robert Royal had in 13 games. Moore should benefit from the addition of tight end Benjamin Watson and give Delhomme an additional option in red-zone situations.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Thanks.

As Grossi said....a slow news period, but I like his take and can agree....I hadn't thought about Stuckey.

I know Mangini likes his potential, and the longer the guy is around, the more I think he is pretty good at seeing talent.

I really like Moore....I think the guy can be a star.

I also agree on Rubin....he plays NT....something Rogers really doesn't.

We could be pretty stout on the line with Rubin taking up 2 blockers and Rogers free to shoot a gap and get in to the backfield. He may not have huge sack numbers, but I can see him screwing up dozens of running plays 2-3 yards behind the LOS.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
I think concentrating on the secondary during the off-season opens a lot of doors on what we can do on D now.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
L
Legend
Legend
L
We might have a pretty solid D in 2010. It should be - on paper - far better than we've had in recent years, especially as the season wears on and our rookie DBs adjust to the pro game.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

We might have a pretty solid D in 2010. It should be - on paper - far better than we've had in recent years, especially as the season wears on and our rookie DBs adjust to the pro game.

you can also bank on a lot of missed assignments that might lead to some big plays early in the year (tends to happen to rookies and we might have 3 rookie DBs on the field at the same time).

but, if it leads to their development and a solid D by the end of the year, it'll be well worth it.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I think concentrating on the secondary during the off-season opens a lot of doors on what we can do on D now.

I think thats pretty much a winner.. tho quite frankly, I'd rather we kept Rogers right where he is and have Rubin spell him situationally.. sheesh, the guy blocks FG's, blows up a line and youy have to game plan for him.

Having said that, it's all for nothing if the ankle injury is significant.. he's a big boy and thats a pivotable point. Not Good.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Legend
Legend
Ballpeen,
I am there as well. Like your thoughts; I especially like Moore, and double tight set with Watson, maybe Stuckey at wing in the reds or short could be tough to cover. Pulling for Robiskie especially. Question for the board: Does a short passing game with tights and slots open up the deep routes. Seems a natural against 2-deep, but I know line more than secondary D. Seems we have great short, so-so deep and that phase will need help, espcially if the run doesn't materialize or needs time to develop.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Peen, it may be that Im just a naturally optimistic person, but I sense from that article that there is more to these young guys than what we saw last year.

It's not without reason that I say this.. given our awful QB play, I wonder if we've seen the best of the young receivers we have.., Stuckey, Robo and MoMass..

Adding in Watson and Moore (Who is also pretty inexperienced) we seem to have a core of guy that may well produce..

Now throw in Cribbs and even Wallace... it could get very interesting.

If only our late round pick actually turns out decent

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Adding in Watson and Moore (Who is also pretty inexperienced) we seem to have a core of guy that may well produce..

Now throw in Cribbs and even Wallace... it could get very interesting.

Seneca in the shotgun

Harrison next to him (for potential zone-read play or screen)

Cribbs in the slotback/H-back spot on the right (for potential counter-trey, reverse off option, or going out for a pass)

Watson at right TE just inside Cribbs (better blocking TE on strong side)

Moore at left TE (main roles for drags and deep crosses)

MoMass flanked out to the left (defense forgets about him deep = TD)

Now, that could be a fun offense to throw out there for 5-10 plays a game.

#gmstrong
All Pro
All Pro
Quote:

Seneca in the shotgun

Harrison next to him (for potential zone-read play or screen)

Cribbs in the slotback/H-back spot on the right (for potential counter-trey, reverse off option, or going out for a pass)

Watson at right TE just inside Cribbs (better blocking TE on strong side)

Moore at left TE (main roles for drags and deep crosses)

MoMass flanked out to the left (defense forgets about him deep = TD)

Mine would be Wallace in the backfield, Hardesty wide left, Cribbs slot left, Whoever the best blocking TEs turn out to be, and Massa wide right.

(going off of ESPN's playbook for Miami's Wildcat)

The ideer is that all the plays you run from the formation look the same. I believe it's really important that the two guys you have playing wide are excellent blockers, so if Mitchell turns out to be better at that then I'd put him out there. This is why I don't believe Harrison has a place in the Wildcat, although I like him a lot.

A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams.

John Barrymore
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Will stuckey make the roster? Cribbs, Robiskie, Mo, Mitchell those slots are disappearing rapidly especially if we go to more 2 TE sets and I think we are gonna find a way to get Moore on the field as often as we can.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Will stuckey make the roster? Cribbs, Robiskie, Mo, Mitchell those slots are disappearing rapidly especially if we go to more 2 TE sets and I think we are gonna find a way to get Moore on the field as often as we can.

I think moore could play outside....he was a WR in college if I am not mistaken. He might make a good slot receiver.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

I don't believe Harrison has a place in the Wildcat, although I like him a lot.

the zone-read (which Miami doesn't use, but I think we should with our personel) requires more speed than power out of it's RB. that's why I put Harrison in there.

now, if Hardesty proves he can make that first cut and get up the field quick enough (so the defense can't figure out if it's RB-run or QB-option right away), then he can play in that spot as well.

also, if you do the zone-read fake to start the play, then the RB really doesn't have to block, so Harrison would be fine in that role.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I think moore could play outside....he was a WR in college if I am not mistaken. He might make a good slot receiver.

You are correct

Quote:

College career
At Stanford, Moore started every game he has played since the beginning of his sophomore year. Moore played wide receiver during his entire college career.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evan_Moore#College_career

Sounds like his size is why he's a TE for us, but looks like he could do it...

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Also explains how we found a TE that can catch, lol

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Yup,, sounds about right

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
I was pretty frustrated with the offense last season. If you recall I was calling for Cribbs to be the starting quarterback running the wildcat as the primary offense. I'd like to see how it performs this season with Wallace and Hardesty added in. It seems so much better than a standard offensive alignment to me.

Especially with Anderson and Quinn at the helm.. I simply didn't see how a standard offense had our best play makers on the field. Oh man and with Romeo not playing Harrison or Cribbs... that was outrageous.

I would be ecstatic if we ran the wildcat 10-15 times a day. I'd be ridiculously happy if we committed to it as a primary offense

Edit: Question. Are any of our players: Wallace, Cribbs, Harrison, Hardesty (or a WR) left handed? looks like from the Dolphins clips I'm watching Ronnie Brown is a lefty, which helps on PAs.

Last edited by Kingcob; 05/26/10 04:03 PM.
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

I would be ecstatic if we ran the wildcat 10-15 times a day. I'd be ridiculously happy if we committed to it as a primary offense

I am not among those that thinks the wildcat would be a greatly successful primary offense in the NFL. the NFL rules have given too many advantages to the passing game.

it is a great change-up though. and something else to have to prepare for during the week.

#gmstrong
All Pro
All Pro
Quote:

also, if you do the zone-read fake to start the play, then the RB really doesn't have to block, so Harrison would be fine in that role.

I know I'm nitpicking, so I have to ask your pardon.

In this formation, the wide out cannot receive a screen because the CB will, of course, be keyed in on a run. The CB will not be giving that player the kind of room that a WR screen would require. I agree that Harrison would be great to receive a screen at that point on the field, but have to disagree that it would be likely to work.

That particular position in the Wildcat HAS to be able to block well. The point of this gadget offense is 10 vs 11 blocking for the run. It works especially well when the WRs are replaced by more RBs because the RBs are much more likely to be good blockers vs DBs.

In the Browns Wildcat I expect to see, there will likely be actual WRs involved due to the threat of Wallace's throwing ability. Even then, I would expect the wideout position to be manned by the best open field blocker we can find. Might be a STs player who can catch a little. Maybe a real pass catching WR, TE, or even a FB. But not Harrison. I love him, but he has no business in a Wildcat offense.

JMHO.

Edited a word.

Last edited by hooter; 05/27/10 05:14 AM.

A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams.

John Barrymore
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

I know I'm nitpicking, so I have to ask your pardon.

In this formation, the wide out cannot receive a screen because the CB will, of course, be keyed in on a run. The CB will not be giving that player the kind of room that a WR screen would require. I agree that Harrison would be great to receive a screen at that point on the field, but have to disagree that it would be likely to work.

That particular position in the Wildcat HAS to be able to block well. The point of this gadget offense is 10 vs 11 blocking for the run. It works especially well when the WRs are replaced by more RBs because the RBs are much more likely to be good blockers vs DBs.

In the Browns Wildcat I expect to see, there will likely be actual WRs involved due to the threat of Wallace's throwing ability. Even then, I would expect the wideout position to be manned by the best open field blocker we can find. Might be a STs player who can catch a little. Maybe a real pass catching WR, TE, or even a FB. But not Harrison. I love him, but he has no business in a Wildcat offense.

JMHO.

Edited a word.

I'm not sure our versions mesh. What I was getting at seeing has nothing to do with a CB covering Harrison or him going out for a screen.

Harrison starts the play standing next to Seneca. On the shotgun snap, Seneca either hands the ball off to Harrison or fakes the handoff. Harrison goes off-tackle left hard in either case. Seneca rolls right with the ball in either case and we have a few different options at that point (Cribbs could be running back left for a counter, Seneca could be keeping the ball, it could just be a roll-right pass).

But, in the case of the fake-run by Harrison, after he runs off-tackle left, the play is likely already decided on the front-end. If he still has time, he can drag across the formation to give Seneca a bail-out option. I wouldn't expect the screen to be open either, but if the coaches see the defense leaving the backside open, then he could potentially slide into the flat for a backside screen.

Hope that clears up what I was trying to say.

#gmstrong
A
All Pro
All Pro
A
Quote:

Quote:

I am not among those that thinks the wildcat would be a greatly successful primary offense in the NFL. the NFL rules have given too many advantages to the passing game.

it is a great change-up though. and something else to have to prepare for during the week.

I find your comments about the Wildcat interesting as I never considered it a "primary formation yet here are some reasons i would like to see a LOT more Wildcat in 2010.

. I do NOT have confidence in Jake Delhomme returning to 2008 form so I see more Wildcat using seneca Wallace a possibility.
. While I agree by NFL rules the passing game has huge advantages this UNIT is by FAR the worst on our team and the worst in the NFL..another vote for wildcatting.
. Cribbs will have both Hardesty and Davis and Harrison to spread the running and new wrinkles could be added to the formation.
We could even have Cribbs, Hardesty and Harrison in a T formation with Vickers at FB with many options as the RB.
. If Jake does return to 08 form than maybe only 10 plays a game Wildcat, if not lets see more.

As far as the rest of Grossi's comments...I saw little from Robiskie and Stuckie that give me ANY cause for excitement. Now for Roth and Moore I saw enough to really have expectations for those two players.

Legend
Legend
I'm really excited to see Rubin get some serious playing time. I'm even more excited to see Ghost get some carries this year.

Also Wallace and Cribbs together is called the "Cyclone" package because Seneca played at Iowa State and Cyclone is there mascot.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I was thinking about this a bit ..... and you could have Wallace, Cribbs, and Harrison all in the backfield in the Browns version ........ and that could create some real nightmare senarios for a defense.

You would have speed, elusiveness, and playmaking ability at every spot .... and, who knows, maybe even harrison could really fubar the defense with a pass here and there.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
E
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
E
These are five guys who we will need to play a pivotal role on our team in 2010. Ruben, Moore and Roth all showed flashes of play at a level that we need for the Browns to win while Robiskie and Stuckey will need to play well to help improve our downtrodden passing attack.

I have a lot of hope that Moore could be something else for us. He's shown up to OTA's 'stronger' and they've been working with him on his blocking, so hopefully he can improve in those areas. I think Ruben could end up taking Shaun Rogers spot on our D. 2010 will be an exciting year for watching the younger players on our team run wild.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Grossi: 5 who could shine in 2010

Link Copied to Clipboard