Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Never. Again.

What a royal pain in the behind. Between the whole process, the issues I had with the woman buying my house, and the actual move.....I'm making this house last.

I can't believe in just 9 years I've accumulated so much crap. Instead of a garage sale, we threw out a ton of stuff, and gave away a lot to my brother or others. Probably could have made some money off of it, but being so busy, it ain't worth the effort for a couple hundred bucks.

But weeks of packing and 2 days of loading and unloading of boxes, furniture and everything in between in temps in the upper 80s with high humidity just sucked ass. And unpacking everything, figuring out where it goes, and getting it all put back together is no fun. Then trying to figure out where the hell this or that was....I still can't find where the hell the hell the pillows for the couch in this room went.

At the same time, I'm glad we did it and have this great new house. I'm grateful that I can do this for my family because we all know that many are struggling in these days, but man I ain't doing this again. At least for a long, long, long time.

Or at least have the sense to get some movers

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
Legend
Legend
Quote:

but man I ain't doing this again. At least for a long, long, long time.

It's one of the reasons why I haven't moved in 15 years...

...that, and I have the coolest, most unique house in the neighborhood.

And I can afford it.
And it's still attractive to me.
And I leave other peoples' houses to come home from a party, and don't envy a single thing they have.
And I'm not upside-down on my mortgage
And it still more than meets my needs, 15 years later.
And I've customized it (and the grounds around it) to my liking, so it's truly "Home" for me.

I guess there's a lot to be said for :

1. buying within your means
2. not getting sucked into 'sub-prime schemes' to finance a house that's more than you can afford
3. being happy with what you have, because it's truly yours.

Congrats on the new diggs, 017. It's for sure a stressful time, but well worth the effort, once you settle in. Just think how content you'll feel in Sept, when you watch your first Browns game at your new address....

On the "crap accumulation" tip- I'm dumping crap as fast as I can... I hand out "valuable parting gifts" to all my guests after any party we throw. I accumulate them over the months, and hand them out to guests as they stagger away from the latest Clemdawg shindig. I look them in their (woozy, non-focusing) eyes and say... "no... I'm serious- I want you to have this. It's important to me..."

Tomorrow, I'm buying new mp3 player. (...not ready to drop bigbux on a do-it-all smartphone yet...) Once the tunes are offloaded from it, the old mp3 player goes into the 'pitch pile.' I'll get more pleasure from giving the old one away to a friend who'll be getting his first mp3 player than I would from selling to a stranger at a garage sale... but that's just how I roll. "I enjoyed using it... now I want you to enjoy it, too."

I dump a lot of junk on friends. The best thing about it is this: they're truly grateful to receive something they've wanted/needed, and when it finally gives up the ghost, THEY have to dispose of it.

In 20-30 years, when my Sister's kids haul me off to my 'retirement home,' I hope to have only:

1. My entire collection of music recordings on portable media
2. A selection of fiiiine clothes, so I can be the 'Mack Daddy uvda House'.
3. An English sports car that I can drive on sunny, Summer Sundays (just like when I was in my '20's...)
4. The first cello I ever owned, and all the sheet music I've accumulated in 65+ years of being a musician. (...to date, I still have that 1st cello. I'll sell the one I use professionally, and use the proceeds as my retirement fund- it's still doing better as an investment than any stock I own...)
5. An estate that is easily disposed of.

If I can manage that, I'll consider it a life well-spent.

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
Legend
Legend
I feel your pain man. Congrats on the new home,,

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
I've helped a ton of people move over the years, and I've purposely never asked them to return the favor. I'm saving that up for when we finally move. And, oh yes, I will certainly call in those favors.

Congrats, 17. I hope you enjoy that house for a long long time.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Congrats on the move. Bless you and your family in your new home.

LET'S GO BROWNS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[Linked Image]
[b]WOOF WOOF[b]
F
Legend
Legend
F
Grats on the new home.

What I hate most about helping people move is when you arrive on moving day, and they haven't done a single thing. Not one box packed, not one dish removed from the cupboard.

Myself and 3 friends went to help a buddy and his new wife load up a moving truck for their move to Arizona. When we arrived at 9am as requested, he was sitting in his boxers watching TV, wife was still sleeping, he hadn't even gotten the truck yet, and not one item had been packed.

We didn't even start putting stuff in the truck til after 12pm. Talk about a long hot Florida summer day.

it was a small apartment we all figured we'd get there at 9, be done loading by 1 or 2 at the latest and go get some beers. We didn't finish til 8pm.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
There is a reason moving companies are so popular. Pack up your stuff, let them load up everything , move it, and unload it. Then you unpack. It's well worth the money bro.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
Congrats and I hope the home gives you many years of safety and blessed memories.

That said, we are a nation of crap hoarders, that is for sure. I read the other day that in 1965 we, as a nation, spent $0 on outside storage... Since then the size of the average American home has increased by almost 1000 square feet and in 2009 we still spent approximately $12 billion on storage spaces.... We collect too much crap.

yebat' Putin
F
Legend
Legend
F
I have a rule.

If I can't fit everything neatly in my house and get both cars in the garage with room to get around them, it's time to get rid of stuff.

Legend
Legend
LOL I said the same thing about moving before I bought my current house.

And I've filled it up with even more stuff than the last.

When I moved in here, I moved most of my stuff myself. It took me a couple of weeks to move it all ...... and it was a PITA ... especially considering that I was also renovating and painting at the same time.

My best friend and I moved him last time into his current house about 15 years ago. At that time he said "Next time either of us moves, we hire movers".

Guess that time dulls the joyous memories .....

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
I'll be there within the next month.. I'm not looking forward to it. Right now I'm fixing up the old house so it will sell. I'm finishing the projects that I got 95% done before and then quit. If it makes you feel better... This is what's on my list for the next month..

1. Sell old house
2. Find new house in foreign city (Columbus)
3. Move stuff hopefully directly from old house to new house... but more likely from old house->uhaul storage place->new house...
4. Start new job
5. Have (well... my wife) my third baby

Just started packing up some stuff and putting it in the storage place at uhaul.. trying to purge some unneeded junk to make the house look bigger.

Congrats on the move!

"I'm a mog. Half man, half dog. I'm my own best friend."
F
Legend
Legend
F
One thing I learned from moving several times is to start packing up un-necessary items as early as possible.

It leaves less to do those last few days, and moving boxes out in those final hours is way easier than last minute packing.

Our last move we were homeless (lived at my mom's) for 4 months while they finished the new house. Everything was packed and placed in a storage unit for those 4 months, which I loaded up over the previous month before moving out.

Then once the new house was ready, it was 2 trips with the U-Haul and 2 co-workers with their pickups to get it from storage to the house, and it was a cake walk for that move, took under 2 hours for everything.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Congratulations on the new house.

As far as accumulating stuff? We moved into this house 10 1/2 years ago. We moved from a 900 sq. ft. house with a 1 car garage - and I couldn't believe all the crap we had.

We moved into a 2400 sq. ft. house, with a 2 1/2 car garage and a 2400 sq. ft. pole barn - and we're full.

I will move from here when the hearse picks me up.

N
Legend
Legend
N
congrats on making it through the process. i know you had a bunch of difficulties.

the great thing it's all a pain until that last step when you have your new home. so enjoy this part

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Yeah, I'm liking it so far. Still got stuff to unpack, things to do around the house like landscaping, change the paint (even though they freshly painted it) in a couple rooms, etc.

This was the first day back to work since the move over the weekend. We basically moved off the same road we lived off of, just down toward the other side of town. I catch the freeway a different way now, but out of habit, I went the old way on the way back from work tonight.

Been going that way for 9 years....lol I even said to the girl at work before I left, "I hope I go to the right house tonight." I did, but just got off the wrong exit before realizing it.

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Just moved into our new house

Link Copied to Clipboard