D
Davy Offline OP
2nd String
OP Offline
2nd String
D
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/14562/browns-sign-bobby-engram

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/arti...18-128867de9568

After months of speculation, the Cleveland Browns finally added a veteran wide receiver.

Cleveland signed 14-year vet Bobby Engram Thursday, the team announced. Engram was originally a second-round pick of the Chicago Bears in 1996 and also played with the Seattle Seahawks (2001-08) and Kansas City Chiefs (2009).

Engram spent time in Seattle with current Browns president Mike Holmgren, which likely had something to do with the signing.

Cleveland's inexperience at receiver is one of the team's biggest weaknesses entering training camp. The team seemed confident this spring in second-year receivers Mohamed Massaquoi and Brian Robiskie but still appeared interested in adding a veteran.

Engram has 650 career receptions.

Last edited by Davy; 07/08/10 04:30 PM.
Legend
Legend
can he still walk?

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Davy Offline OP
2nd String
OP Offline
2nd String
D
A 37 year old WR who only caught 5 passes last year does not instill confidence.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Our new David Givens!

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Meeeeh...really? I mean, I wanted a vet presence at WR but there's gotta be some better stuff out there.

This looks to be Holmgren pulling favours for ex-players.

Where the hell is Kevin Curtis? I'd take him over Engram any day.

Legend
Legend
ugh.

well, there goes a roster spot.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
just because we signed him doesn't mean he's guaranteed a spot. in fact, i'm willing to bet he won't make the team. think about it. momass was our most productive. robiskie is getting great reviews from mangini. stuckey is doing better too. i don't think engram would see the field, even with our receivers. i'm betting this is a veteran to show them how to practice, go through the camp again, and help pick up the system. MAYBE, serve as a #4/#5 but he's not taking momass', robo's, stuckey's, or cribbs' play time.

Legend
Legend
no, but he could definitely send mitchell to the PS. He's a guy that could actually get grabbed to somebody's roster, especially if he does anything in preseason.

Legend
Legend
yes.. Yes... YES!!!!!!!!!!

Bobby Engram=

yebat' Putin
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Hoorah,
Bobby and I are now in the same AARP chapter.
Dollars to donuts someone willbe on here soon spinning this.Some hogwash about veteran leadership.
If you're going to sign a washed-up player,at the very least sign a has-been,not a never-was.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Our new David Givens!

I agree.

At first I was going to say he has a chance to be our 3rd down guy like Jurevicius. But Jurevicius was only 32 when he went to Cleveland.

Engram will be around to be an example to the younger guys. Then he will be cut.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
very unlikely. "impossible," even.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Probably the most likely answer. Probably the sort of thing where Engram says "please coach, just give me a chance... I'll prove I can still play". So we sign him.....

... he still has to make the 53, however. We'll see what merit this has come the end of August.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Camp player/coach. No harm. Maybe he does the young-uns some good.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Meh. Ben Gay wasn't available? Do they let these guys retire at some point? Because this is kinda long in the tooth, especially as a confidence instiller. Look for Soft Food Day at the stadium at this rate.
He is now a Brown; good luck, then!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
C
All Pro
All Pro
C
Webster Slaughter wasn't available?

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M

I hope Holmgren knows what he's doing...a 37 yr old vet who was released by the Chiefs after appearing in only 5 games, making 5 catches for the season.

From wiki... web page ...the following personal info...

Engram and his wife Deanna have three children: daughter Bobbi, sons Dean and Trey. Bobbi was born with the hereditary sickle-cell disease. Engram hosted the "Walk for Sickle Cell Disease" in Seattle in September 2006. In October 2006, Engram was diagnosed with Graves' disease. His subsequent accelerated heart rate, debilitating fatigue, and weight loss caused him to miss a significant amount of playing time during the 2006 season.

Engram was the subject of a November 2008 NFL Network segment profiling his participation in The Home Depot's NFL Neighborhood MVP program. Engram joined a group of volunteers from the non-profit organizations KaBOOM! and the Boys & Girls Clubs of America to install a new playground on the Tulalip Indian Reservation in Snohomish County, Washington.

When playing games in the Pennsylvania cities of Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, Engram laces his shoes with white shoelaces as opposed to the regular black as a tribute to the old-school beliefs of his college coach, Joe Paterno.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
As far as I know, Holmgren is not making the personnel decisions. Heckert (with Mangini's input) is.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Oh c'mon..... I'm not one to believe in the Holmgren puppet dictatorship theory but at the same time, you KNOW he's got enough stroke to say "Hey, we're giving him a shot"

Legend
Legend
Do you really think that he's gonna waste his stroke on a 37 year old WR?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
I agree, if Heckert wanted to sign a big name to a big long term deal I'm sure Holmgren would be consulted but I doubt he is asked what back-up punters the Browns should have in camp... and I doubt he's consulted heavily on aging free agent roster filler guys.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Probably the most likely answer. Probably the sort of thing where Engram says "please coach, just give me a chance... I'll prove I can still play". So we sign him.....

... he still has to make the 53, however. We'll see what merit this has come the end of August.

Anyone wanna give odds on him actually making the team?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Look for Soft Food Day at the stadium at this rate.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

As far as I know, Holmgren is not making the personnel decisions. Heckert (with Mangini's input) is.

YTow...you can't be serious?

Engram played for Holmgren, most of his career (8 seasons)...and you believe Heckert (with Mangini's input) made the decision to sign Engram.

I'm sure you are tired after a long day on the message board...I will give you a pass this time...

Legend
Legend
Yeah ..... I'm sure that he went out of his way to tell them to sign a 37 year old WR.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

daman...just a guess on my part...but Holmgren likely told Engram, we can give you a shot...that is it...the rest is up to you.

Now it will likely be Mangini who has the most input on whether Engram makes the team or not.

I would not be surprised if the Browns continue to look for and possibly sign another veteran WR who can help the team.

This signing most likely falls into the category of an ex-coach doing a favor for a former player...Engram gets a chance to make the team.

Legend
Legend

Not much to get excited here.

Bolden goes to Ravens. Marshall goes to Miami.

Engram is little more than an insurance policy for the youngsters. I doubt he will have much to contribute at this point.

Legend
Legend
I'm pretty sure Engram was drafted 2 picks after Scott Player in the 1947 draft.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Legend
Legend
Engram once coached Paul Brown.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
I heard that Lebron wanted Engram here.

Legend
Legend
Chuck Norris tried to defend Engram once...... Once.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

daman...just a guess on my part...but Holmgren likely told Engram, we can give you a shot...that is it...the rest is up to you.

Now it will likely be Mangini who has the most input on whether Engram makes the team or not.

I would not be surprised if the Browns continue to look for and possibly sign another veteran WR who can help the team.

This signing most likely falls into the category of an ex-coach doing a favor for a former player...Engram gets a chance to make the team.

Why is it that anyone actually thinks that Holmgren would shove a 37 year old WR down Heckert and Manginis throat?

Is it just me, or does that make no sense what so ever....

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
It's not shoving him down anyone's throat if Holmgren simply signed him to give him a shot, but leaves the final call up to Heckert & Mangini.

Remember, nothing counts right now... there's still a long way to go until cutdowns.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Quote:

It's not shoving him down anyone's throat if Holmgren simply signed him to give him a shot, but leaves the final call up to Heckert & Mangini.

Remember, nothing counts right now... there's still a long way to go until cutdowns.

I suppose,, but I still don't understand why anyone actually thinks that Holmgren is even giving him a shot.. I mean, sure, it's possible I guess..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

For each player that is signed, someone must be cut.

I doubt that Holmgren decided that and told Heckert to figure out who goes.

Legend
Legend
Only if we're already at the 80-man limit; and being that the signing wasn't accompanied by notice that we also released someone, I'd guess that we had the roster spot.

Daman, it costs us nothing to give a guy a shot. I'm not saying this is what is happening, but it makes more sense than most anything else. For all we know, Engram isn't ready to hang it up and he begged Holmgren to give him a shot. Perhaps then Holmgren does the nice guy thing and says sure, we'll give you an opportunity, but you gotta earn your spot.

We don't know, but it's well more than plausible with zero risk for the Browns.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Only if we're already at the 80-man limit; and being that the signing wasn't accompanied by notice that we also released someone, I'd guess that we had the roster spot.

Daman, it costs us nothing to give a guy a shot. I'm not saying this is what is happening, but it makes more sense than most anything else. For all we know, Engram isn't ready to hang it up and he begged Holmgren to give him a shot. Perhaps then Holmgren does the nice guy thing and says sure, we'll give you an opportunity, but you gotta earn your spot.

We don't know, but it's well more than plausible with zero risk for the Browns.

No No Purp,, don't misunderstand me.. I'm not saying it's a bad thing to give a guy a shot.. what I'm saying is, I really doubt Holmgren had a thing to do with it other than someone passed it by him.. I have doubts that he brought the deal to Heckert/Mangini.... I'm guessing it's the other way around.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
C
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
C
wow the Browns recieving core just went from 32nd to 31st best in the NFL...

Legend
Legend
great.. stunt a young guys potential for an old fart.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
A
All Pro
All Pro
A
Quote:

A 37 year old WR who only caught 5 passes last year does not instill confidence.

Amen, Is this a joke?

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Bobby Engram a Brown

Link Copied to Clipboard