Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2010/08/a_confident_rob_ryan_talks_abo.html

A confident Rob Ryan talks about the Cleveland Browns' defense: 'We're ready to roll'
Published: Wednesday, August 11, 2010, 9:08 PM Updated: Wednesday, August 11, 2010, 9:11 PM

BEREA, Ohio -- Browns coach Eric Mangini jokingly calls defensive coordinator Rob Ryan's in-season press conferences "the most stressful 15 minutes of my week."

Public speaking is in Ryan's DNA. His father, Buddy, was one of the NFL's great, ahem, orators. His twin brother, Rex, now holds the title as head coach of the New York Jets. Rex keeps the Jets in the headlines and ownership likes that.

Rob does all right for himself, too.

"He doesn't live in the box," Mangini said. "I think he and I complement each other well. It's a good balance for me. He's funny. It's like comic relief sometimes. I know it's hard to believe last season, but there were times I needed a little comic relief."

Ryan was on good behavior during a recent sit-down at Browns training camp. Perhaps he was saving his best stuff for the real season. The interview was done before linebacker D'Qwell Jackson went down with a pectoral injury. Excerpts of the interview follow.

Question: Lots of former starters at linebacker. How is that position group going to shake out?

Ryan: We're going to keep the best. The great thing is they've all played. That competition is definitely heated. But we've got a lot of playmakers there. That's the exciting thing. With our linebackers, it's important to us to have playmakers at that spot.

Q: Most of the linebackers have the versatility to play inside and outside. What does that mean for D'Qwell Jackson and Marcus Benard, who don't seem to have that versatility?

Ryan: I mean, versatility's great. To be able to do that, that defense is going to look a helluva lot different to offensive players and we can make it look a lot of different ways. But D'Qwell's a player. We had him play inside and outside last year. He can do that. He's just a super-talented guy. We're so happy he's back full speed and looking great. Marcus is ready for his second season, when you make your most improvement.

Q: The defense tied for eighth last year with 40 sacks, but no player had more than 61/2. Is that the way you like it?

Ryan: We'd like to have one that led the league. I think everybody wants that. I had that in Oakland with [Derrick] Burgess. We don't mind having two guys in double digits like we had in New England. It's just how it goes. There's no reason one of our guys can't lead the league.

Q: The run defense appeared to improve when Ahtyba Rubin took over for injured Shaun Rogers at nose tackle. What exactly does that mean?

Ryan: Rubin's a real fine player ... a guy who really grew in his second season last year. He really came alive and did a great job, but there's only so many Shaun Rogers in this league. To put him in the middle of your defense is something special.

Q: Could he be just as effective at end?

Ryan: Sure, he can be effective anywhere. You have a Reggie White lined up at tackle and end and nose tackle. A guy like Shaun, just have him on the field whether at nose, tackle, a shade, a three-technique, an end -- doesn't matter. Just get him out there and let him play hard. Linebacker, who cares? Get his (butt) out there.

Q: Kwaku Danso and Clifton Geathers look like two giant linemen begging to be molded and developed. How are they doing?

Ryan: They're great big-bodied kids. In Danso's case, there's no experience. Probably has more experience kicking soccer balls. He's brand new, and to stick him on the nose is really hard. He's got guys coming at him from every angle. The Geathers kid ... one thing with Clifton, he's not getting any bigger. I don't think it's possible, but if he does, look out. He's so young. They're both so raw. They're good kids and hopefully they'll learn their lessons.

Q: Do they have to grow up fast to help the team as rookies?

Ryan: I would think so. This is a grown man's league and right now they're kids. It doesn't mean those kids won't make strides and do some things. We've got a lot of football in front of us. Get to see them against competition, hit people back and fight. Do the things linemen have to do.

Q: The quick impression of rookies Joe Haden and T.J. Ward are that they're very short. How do they compensate for that?

Ryan: First, they're two damn good football players. Excellent football players. If you honestly look at it, I know [Eric] Berry's a great player, but those two are two of the top defensive backs in the whole country and we've got 'em both. I'll be perfectly honest, I never thought about their height. Their height doesn't [matter]. The confusing thing was Haden changing his jersey number. They're two damn good players and they're going to help us.

Q: Ward is the only rookie starting on defense.

Ryan: Haden had the holdout, so he couldn't be. But he's doing outstanding, Joe. [Ward] is more than hanging in there, he's going to be one of our better players. He'll be just fine.

Q: Ward's coverage ability was questioned in college.

Ryan: Bring it on. He's done a great job. He gets his hand on passes a lot in practice. Always competing. Will knock your block off. He's going to be an exciting guy. There's not many rookies who come in as safeties and play in our system. Very complicated system. But this man can do it.

Q: How much better does the defense have to be for this team to close the gap on playoff contenders?

Ryan: All the stats ... we were [expletive] terrible and everything [last year], but 22nd in league in points, which is not great, but understand we were getting to learn them and they were getting to learn us. We're looking forward to Year Two. We had a lot of painful steps that first year. But wherever you go it's going to be like that, unless you inherit [something good]. You go to a new place, usually you have to start over and that takes a little while. But Year Two? We're ready to roll.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Hell yes! Let's goooooooo!!!!

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
after so many years... I am glad to hear the positive things about the Defense. Now to see if it translates from the practice field, onto the playing field.

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
Y
2nd String
2nd String
Y
His comments regarding Ward really excite me. I know being "one of our better players" doesn't necessarily say much, but having one of your better players at safety is definitely a good thing, and the kind of thing that really can make a difference on D, especially as he gains experience. He can become a leader back there.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

His comments regarding Ward really excite me. I know being "one of our better players" doesn't necessarily say much, but having one of your better players at safety is definitely a good thing, and the kind of thing that really can make a difference on D, especially as he gains experience. He can become a leader back there.

His praise on Ward is definitely exciting news... I really like the fact that he is a head buster. We need that!!

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Where's all the vulgar language? I love Ryan's post game press conferences. He cusses more fluently than a sailor's wife.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Rob is my favorite Ryan. I love the energy he brings to the game.
I think that our guys really like playing for him. I think we lack some speed on the outside, but I think that it will be offset by players being in the right spot. It sounds like the players have really bought into his system.

I am optimistic about the maturation of our defense, but relies that we may still be the worst defense in our division.

[Linked Image]

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
I like Ryan, I think he is a perfect coach for this division. I hope we groom him for, and can hold onto him till the next coaching change.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I love the guy, too.

I will never forget the way he reacted when the Steelers got credit for converting on that fourth down when the chains showed they came up short. He was pumping his fist and celebrating the stop and then went nuts when the ref signalled first down anyway. Lost count of the F-Bombs.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

I like Ryan, I think he is a perfect coach for this division. I hope we groom him for, and can hold onto him till the next coaching change.

i agree-remember his dad had arguably the best defense EVER in the NFL-1985 bears...i know he learned from a master..

[Linked Image from dcptest.com]
M
Rookie
Rookie
M
Quote:

I will never forget the way he reacted when the Steelers got credit for converting on that fourth down when the chains showed they came up short. He was pumping his fist and celebrating the stop and then went nuts when the ref signalled first down anyway. Lost count of the F-Bombs.

I was at that game, lost my mind as well. Gotta love a coach who cares.

Legend
Legend
I am ready to play for this guy right NOW! I think D will lead us a bunch until O can catch fire.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

Confident Rob Ryan: "We're ready to roll"

Did he mean "Roll over" ? ?

If thats not what he meant....He forgot to tell Aaron Rogers!!!!

You dont have to win every game just the next one!
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Confident Rob Ryan: "We're ready to roll"

Did he mean "Roll over" ? ?

If thats not what he meant....He forgot to tell Aaron Rogers!!!!

Rogers had something like 4400 yards passing last season.. the Packers went 11-5.. that Offense took better D's than ours to task last season.. so to only be decent against them isn't the worst thing..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
We weren't decent though.

Rodgers lit up our 1st string for 12-13 for 159 and a TD. That's plain ugly. 2 rookies in their first game ever in the secondary ..... well, they were bound to get schooled by someone as proficient as Rodgers.

It is only the first game though ... and we did play well against the run. We do have a lot to work on.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

We weren't decent though.

Rodgers lit up our 1st string for 12-13 for 159 and a TD. That's plain ugly. 2 rookies in their first game ever in the secondary ..... well, they were bound to get schooled by someone as proficient as Rodgers.

It is only the first game though ... and we did play well against the run. We do have a lot to work on.

I think we played decent in relation to who we were playing.. that's a very very good offense,.. Not many teams could stop them..

Had that been KC or the Rams,, different story.. does that make sense?

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
They couldn't run against us, that is a HUGE improvement. Even forced a fumble that resulted in a score. Plus, we were blitzing EVERY down, against an excellent O-line, and Rogers was brilliantly finding the open man and picking on the rooks, or going to his hot read. Overall, even though we got shredded on two drives, we did look decent. It's not like he scored on every drive. There was that great tackle by Haden on Driver on 3rd down to force a punt. Over all, there was very little RAC, which I thought was very encouraging. The tackles were being made immediately, and as these young DB's start playing faster, see more film, and get more comfortable, some of those will turn into picks.

In addition, even though is was the two's and the three's, that third TD should never have happened. It was a bogus pass interference call on 3rd down. It was good pass defense and should have forced them to punt. If that happens, it's a different complexion all together. I liked what I saw and they'll only get better.

JMHO

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Methinks that Rob intentionally blitzed every down to give the secondary the workout they needed. The blitzes also weren't really all that inspiring or creative. If it were a regular season game I think they would have switched it up a bit more.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Most things about exhibition games have to be taken with a grain of salt... teams are vanilla, or working on particular things they need to improve on, or get comfortable with.

One example is the Wildcat - we didn't run it - why would we when we have to get some flow of the passing game before the regular season?

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Cal...

they don't have a good OL, or at least they didn't. they allowed the most sacks in the league last year. that said, i will place a lot of fault on Ryan if that is how he calls real games. as was mentioned, he probably wanted some blitzing on film.

Browns fans are born with it...
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Methinks that Rob intentionally blitzed every down to give the secondary the workout they needed. The blitzes also weren't really all that inspiring or creative. If it were a regular season game I think they would have switched it up a bit more.

My thought exactly.

Last year, when we went on our little spree at the end of the season, we had a Pittsburgh-type defense. We had guys running all over the place, then they'd come at you from crazy angles after the snap. I remember Big Ben saying he had no idea where the blitz was coming from when we beat them last year.

Last night, it was the "we're blitzing, and it's going to come at you straight up." Does that excuse not getting there? No, not at all. It was frustrating at times to see, like when Haden crept in on the corner blitz and was easily picked up. That was the TD play.

But, for preseason, it's good to get that stuff on film. Then you sit down the next day and look at it and say "maybe wait an extra second to come up" or "make this move to get around it", etc.

I'm not expecting to see our defense throw a bunch of crazy stuff around in the preseason. Maybe every now and then just to get guys used to it. But, I think once the season starts, we'll be all over the place.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Cal...

they don't have a good OL, or at least they didn't. they allowed the most sacks in the league last year. that said, i will place a lot of fault on Ryan if that is how he calls real games. as was mentioned, he probably wanted some blitzing on film.

Green Bay's starting tackles were hurt most of the season, and they were saddled with crappy back-ups. They fixed that this year and the starters are healthy. When Clifton and Tauscher got healthy last year the sack numbers dropped. Regardless of how vanilla our blitzes were, Rodgers was getting solid protection.

I'm sure Rob was blitzing every down for a reason. For one thing, it kept Ward & Haden on an island and gave them great experience against an excellent receiving corps.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

i agree-remember his dad had arguably the best defense EVER in the NFL-1985 bears...i know he learned from a master..

Not sure those guys aren't the best ever,.... but, my second place then would have to be the Ravens.

You've got Doomsday, Crush, Curtain, Killer B's. etc. ad infinitum.

Wonder what the Browns nickname will be when Ryan has it all together here,...."Ryan's Express,..."

"Storm on the LakeFront"

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Wonder what the Browns nickname will be when Ryan has it all together here,...."Ryan's Express,..."

"Storm on the LakeFront"

How about "Holy Crap... they learned how to play defense in Cleveland!"?

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
"The Lake Effect"? (But only if they bury their opponents in cold regrets ..... )

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Quote:

I'm sure Rob was blitzing every down for a reason. For one thing, it kept Ward & Haden on an island and gave them great experience against an excellent receiving corps.

I am not so sure, why would Ryan want to expose his guys? that is not too bright of him and makes no sense..no two ways of shaking it, Haden and Ward got exposed hard against the Pack...they got exposed.

the only DB we had that played well Was Sheldon Brown, he was the only one who looked like be belonged. Its too bad Eric Wright didn't play.

Eric Wright is a very good corner...his tackling has improved over the last two years, but the guy blankets receivers....Wright is a shutdown corner...come opening day...it will be Wright and Brown starting...no way Wright loses his job to Haden, if Haden takes anyones job it will be Browns...Wright is the best covering DB on this team.

Also don't forget we lost Corey Williams...Williams at NT had what..4 sacks in 5 games...that's insane for a NT..Williams was a very good interior Lineman for us, it was dumb to get rid of him..we should have got rid of those two bums Coleman and Mosley, not gotten rid of a very good lineman like Williams..Willaims wrecked a ton of havoc up the middle and he was a big reason we was able to blitz and get the pressure we was able to get late last year..

Williams was not a DE..but he was a great DT/NT...he played well when he was in...finally playing his natural position...the kid was a beast at NT..we should have moved Rogers to DE, and split Williams and Rubin at Nose, and sometimes slide Rubin to DE and Williams at NT....

Williams was finally starting to pay off for us...and we got rid of him..figures...

however this preseason game showed me that Haden is no where near ready...in fact, Eric Wright looked better his rookie year then Haden has so far...Eric Wright has speed..im telling ya Wright is a shutdown CB...and he will prove that this year...Haden is a replacement for Brown...not Wright....Wright was a product of poor coaching on Tackling from Crennell...Mangini will fix that, he improved a good bit on that last year, and will be even better this year. Eric Wrights cover skills are unquestioned he is better then anyone else on this team at coverage and that includes Brown.

this preseason game just showed me that Haden is not ready yet, and those two got exposed...thank goodness Wright will be back soon...

I do believe Haden should be good enough to take Sheldon Browns spot by the end of the year though....I am hopeful of that...I will say though that Wright looked better his rookie year then Haden has "so far"....All my Steeler fan friends always tell me "Man I wish we had Eric Wright...that dude can cover....if only you guys had a pass rush"

don't knock Eric Wright, I am saying this because I have seen this going on here for months...Wright is the best cover CB on this roster bar none...its not even a contest...

Its quite telling that Sheldon Brown was the only guy that looked like he belonged out there on the field...I mean..sheesh Wright looked like he belonged his rookie year...Haden looks "slow" like eh has cement stuck to his feet

thank goodness Wright will be starting opening day....Haden looked slow...Sheldon Brown is no spring chicken, but he is a better option for now....i do look for Haden to take his spot by the end of the year though.....but Haden's clear lack of speed worries me...the guy looked slow...

I am not giving up on Haden..I have high hopes for the kid..im just saying he looked slow to me...hopefully it was just rookie jitters and he calm himself down...however to me he looked slow...especially in comparison to watching Eric Wright the last two years...

Legend
Legend
i mentioned the departure of Corey Williams as well.... he is going to be missed. Even with him not starting, he was GREAT depth, and helped the d-line stay fresh for an entire 60.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

why would Ryan want to expose his guys? that is not too bright of him and makes no sense..no two ways of shaking it, Haden and Ward got exposed hard against the Pack...they got exposed.

Because it is preseason. The games don't count and the rookies need the work to get up to speed quicker before the games DO count.

Preseason is NOT about winning. It is about preparing.
If you happen to win as well, that's a bonus.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I am not so sure, why would Ryan want to expose his guys? that is not too bright of him and makes no sense..no two ways of shaking it, Haden and Ward got exposed hard against the Pack...they got exposed.

I think it makes a ton of sense.. not that we know if he did it or not. But if you are trying to get to young guys that you are counting on, ready to start in the NFL,,, what better way then to send them into the fire..... Let them see what it is they are up against.

On top of that, this is one of the Best Offenses we'll see all year.. it's very good exposure..

I do agree that Haden didn't show enough for me to feel comfortable with him out there on an island alone yet... But he's a talented kid.. he'll improve,,

I don't get where you thought that Ward was exposed.. outside of one pass that he defended poorly (for cryin out loud, the kids a rook) he was everywhere.. hitting folks, playing very well I thought..

Quote:

we should have got rid of those two bums Coleman and Mosley

Is he the one that caused a lot of clubhouse problems? Or was that someone else..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I wasn't aware that Mosley or Coleman had caused any problems in the locker room.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Maybe because it's the PRE SEASON. Winning in the pre season doesn't matter at all. It is purely about preparation, and no one needs it more than the rookies.

Quote:

the only DB we had that played well Was Sheldon Brown, he was the only one who looked like be belonged. Its too bad Eric Wright didn't play.

What are you talking about? Brown got toasted worse than anyone else in the entire game. Haden never once got beat anywhere near that bad, and Ward played very well. Haden had great coverage on nearly every play, and Ward did an excellent job attacking versus the run.

Quote:

Also don't forget we lost Corey Williams...Williams at NT had what..4 sacks in 5 games...that's insane for a NT..Williams was a very good interior Lineman for us, it was dumb to get rid of him..we should have got rid of those two bums Coleman and Mosley, not gotten rid of a very good lineman like Williams..Willaims wrecked a ton of havoc up the middle and he was a big reason we was able to blitz and get the pressure we was able to get late last year..

Corey Williams was awful at nose tackle. He chose gaps and our run defense got toasted because of it. He wasn't good at end either. And he had 4 sacks throughout the entire season, spread throughout 10 games. Far from 4 in 5 games. All Williams did at nose was kill our run defense while occasionally making a play. I had always been big on Williams, but he sucked. Nothing else to it. He was a slightly better Shaun Smith. Coleman is 10x the player that Williams is in a 3-4.

Quote:

this preseason game just showed me that Haden is not ready yet, and those two got exposed...thank goodness Wright will be back soon...

Again, did you watch the game? Haden had great coverage on virtually every play and make excellent tackles. He did a fantastic job for playing his first game. I'm willing to bet that he is starting by the end of the season, and doing a damn good job.

I am a big Eric Wright fan, but dude, did you even watch Haden and Brown? Haden was our best corner Saturday night. Brown got toasted for a touchdown, and Haden never got beat big. Not once.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I wasn't aware that Mosley or Coleman had caused any problems in the locker room.

No,, neither of them,, you have to read KoB's post,, sorry, my fault. He was talking about Corey Williams

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
O
Legend
Legend
O
Yeah, they got exposed... as rookies.

They got exposed... that they were playing in their first NFL game.

Sheesh.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

All my Steeler fan friends always tell me "Man I wish we had Eric Wright...that dude can cover....if only you guys had a pass rush"

Yeah, just think how that second Steeler game last year would have worked out if we could have rushed the passer.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
I
1st String
1st String
I
I really think Rob is our best coach hands down. no matter what happends to this team in the future, i hope he is here for many years.

Ruining QB's since 1999.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Again, did you watch the game?

It doesn't sound like it because Haden was right with his guy on pretty much every play.

Some people just have unrealistic expectations and expect the DB to break up every pass and get 2-3 picks a game.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

It doesn't sound like it because Haden was right with his guy on pretty much every play.

Some people just have unrealistic expectations and expect the DB to break up every pass and get 2-3 picks a game.

As a rookie no less..

Peen, did you see Tebow play the other night? The kid looked 10 times better than Quinn IMO

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

As a rookie no less..

Peen, did you see Tebow play the other night? The kid looked 10 times better than Quinn IMO

He is 10X better.

I saw some, but not a lot. More the highlights earlier today.

I just wish he played for us so I could root for him. Now I will have to pick and choose when I root for him.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Yes I watched the game.

I am not questioning Haden's Ability to tackle, His coverage was "adequate" he did not blanket guys like Eric Wright does

He also looked noticeably slower the Wright....

Also please correct me, but I didn't even see Haden break up a pass...or even try to..he never once put his hands in there and even tried to make a play on the ball or knock it away

(unless I missed it when I was in the John, and if I did please correct me)

Look I am not calling Haden a bust, or whatever...I am just saying he looked slow to me.

Hopefully this was Joe thinking more then reacting that's all......

As for Ward, that kid has promise...his speed is excellent (he looked faster then Haden) and put some hits on guys...his pass coverage needs a little work and that will come...Ward showed me a lot..I like his skill set. I don't want you to think I am down on Ward because I am not

I got my fingers crossed with Haden that is just rookie wrinkles, because he did not look fast or quick to me...

however...i am going to withhold my judgment for now...it could just simply be rookie jitters he will get over, but I was concerned with the lack of speed i saw his tackling however was solid.

Legend
Legend
We also need to remember that a lot of these rookies got by in college on pure athleticism. Yeah, they matched up against some other guys who were pretty darn good (especially Haden in that conference), but the other guys were relying a lot on athleticism, too.

Now, he gets to the pros, and athleticism alone just ain't gonna cut it. He's going against seasoned vets who know how to do just the tiniest things to give them the tiniest advantage, which is really all they need. Throw in a QB like Rodgers, and you have a "perfect storm."

Haden (and all our rookies) likely realized very quickly in the game that their technique needs to improve. They can't just rely on athleticism like they had in the past.

The key with these guys is how quickly they can pick it up. I'm guessing you expect your first and second rounders (and maybe third rounders) to pick it up very quickly. Once you get to the lower rounds, you're expecting those guys to take a little while longer.

I think Haden and our rookies will continue to struggle as the season goes on, which I think we all expect. The key is if they continue to improve as well. Playing against guys like the Packers are only going to make the rookies better. Practice (which is essentially what preseason is) against superior talent, and you're going to benefit from it.

I think we'll notice a difference against the Rams. They have some talent, but nothing like the Packers. Our rookies will be able to rely on their athleticism a little more than their technique, compared to as against the Packers.

And, hey, it's like I've been told. Experience is the one thing you get right after you needed it.

JMHO

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Confident Rob Ryan: "We're ready to roll"

Link Copied to Clipboard