Print Thread
#520949 08/19/10 01:48 PM
214dawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
link

Report: Roger Clemens to be indicted

A federal grand jury will indict Roger Clemens on charges of making false statements to Congress about his use of performance-enhancing drugs, The New York Times reported, citing two sources briefed on the case.

An announcement of the indictment was expected shortly, according to the report.

Clemens and his former trainer, Brian McNamee, testified under oath before the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform in 2008. McNamee, who cooperated with federal authorities and with baseball's Mitchell report on performance-enhancing drugs in baseball, said Clemens had used steroids, while Clemens flatly denied having ever used them.

A few weeks later, the FBI opened a perjury probe against Clemens, a seven-time Cy Young Award winner. The federal grand jury began hearing testimony more than 18 months ago.

Rusty Hardin, Clemens' lead attorney, said he was unaware of a pending indictment.

"We've heard nothing," Hardin said by telephone from Houston, "so I can't knowledgeably respond at all."

Earl Ward, one of McNamee's lawyers, said he, too, "had no indication something was coming."

McNamee, a one-time New York City cop and former close friend of Clemens, said in the Mitchell report that he injected the 354-game winner with steroids and HGH at least 16 times in 1998, 2000 and 2001. He repeated the claim under oath before Congress, but Clemens, also under oath, adamantly denied the allegations.

Some of McNamee's evidence is believed to include bloody gauze, vials and needles that he claims contained steroids and Clemens' DNA. McNamee kept the decade-old evidence in a FedEx box at his New York home and handed it over to investigators after the probe began.

Clemens sued McNamee for defamation, but a federal judge in Texas dismisseed most of Clemens' claims against McNamee last year. Earlier this month, a federal appeals court affirmed the decision,.

McNamee has filed a defamation suit against Clemens in federal court in New York.

LIbertatem Defendimus!!

2010 Dawgtalkers NCAA Bracket Challenge Champ!!
Legend
Legend
Imagine how much cleaner baseball would have been, had Clemens just went straight.

I would rather he had been a loser with his talent, than a winning cheater.

S
Legend
Legend
S
i think the sad thing is, guys like him and bonds, were probably not always on the stuff, and when those guys were young in the late 80's early 90's they were so good, and so fun to watch.

so it's like they are these legendary figures who probably didn't need to jack themselves up, but they did anyway, really sad.

that's baseball though. shady in so many ways.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

i think the sad thing is, guys like him and bonds, were probably not always on the stuff, and when those guys were young in the late 80's early 90's they were so good, and so fun to watch.

I heard a guy who had written one of the books on Bonds talk about Bonds mindset in the late 90's ... He had just become the second guy to steal 40 and hit 40 HR's in a season, was one of only 4 guys ever to join the 300-300 club, and was maybe one of the best all-around players in the game ... yet nobody cared because steroid-users Sosa and MacGuire were busy "saving baseball" with thier homeruns.

Legend
Legend

I still have trouble giving those two any credit for that.

Legend
Legend
He never bothered coming to any of the family reunions while he was famous and loved....

...we don't need him to start showing up now.

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
Legend
Legend
I am surprised. I have no respect for all the denial. Some folks need morality forced on them apparently. He was fun to watch, but this sours anything he stood for. Any doubt as to his legacy, what he will be remembered for?

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I am not defending Clemens lying to congress, and I am not defending his use of performance enhancing drugs but I still think this whole thing os a HUGE waste of our time and our tax dollars. Millions of our tax money has been spent on this dog and pony show and it is ridiculous. If MLB wants to get steroids out of baseball that is on them, not on congress.

KING

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
they cheated,, that's all that I need to hear..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

I am not defending Clemens lying to congress, and I am not defending his use of performance enhancing drugs but I still think this whole thing os a HUGE waste of our time and our tax dollars. Millions of our tax money has been spent on this dog and pony show and it is ridiculous. If MLB wants to get steroids out of baseball that is on them, not on congress.

KING

oh come on. what are we gonna spend tax dollars on? fixing the economy?

psh

A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

Quote:

KING

oh come on. what are we gonna spend tax dollars on? fixing the economy?

psh

Well, sure. All congress needs in order to fix everything is simply: more money.

All Pro
All Pro
clemdawg indicted????

[Linked Image]

When it gets cold and snows and the wind blows, you gotta be able to run the ball. - TR
M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
I have no sympathy for Clemens, in my opinion he helped kill baseball as we knew it. But I can't help but think to myself that congress should indict themselves everytime they open their mouth and speak to each other since its a federal offense

"All I know is, as long as I led the Southeastern Conference in scoring, my grades would be fine." - Charles Barkley
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I have no sympathy for Clemens, in my opinion he helped kill baseball as we knew it. But I can't help but think to myself that congress should indict themselves everytime they open their mouth and speak to each other since its a federal offense

As you probably know, I got no love for the likes of Clemons and Bonds.. But you have a point about Congress. This is Mis Direction on the part of Congress.. While we are focusing on the Clemons story, they are robbing us blind..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
That they are. I tried to point out last week that the rhetoric we're being fed is meant to keep us bickering amongst each other while both republicans and democrats, together, sneak out the back after they rob us. Unfortunately I'm not politically correct enough or have a high enough post count for people to pay attention to anything I say though.

"All I know is, as long as I led the Southeastern Conference in scoring, my grades would be fine." - Charles Barkley
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The funny thing is, he asked congress to speak before them

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Hmm, not even a Dawg Talker? Well. That clearly discards any wisdom or coherent point you're trying to make.

As for baseball, you just suck. If it weren't for the 100 year head-start you hold on most major sports, you would be what the NHL is today. You were caught not doing a damn thing about all the roids and balls gettin' jacked out of the park with your pants down. You didn't care because it was reviving your sad, slow, pomp and ceremonious show. I still like the game a little bit and admire the skill it takes to play it (but physically, let's be real- being in shape is OPTIONAL in baseball- you can play while eating hot dogs and drinking beer), but the way it has been handled the past 20 years is appalling. Small markets teams have next to no chance to compete with no salary cap, the idea of a DH is lazy and unstrategic, and the season and games are both agonizingly long. Rant off.

As for Clemons, he can fry like the fat, little piggy he is. The constant denial from the beginning of his outing was as transparent as glass.

Politicians are puppets, y'all. Let's get Geppetto!

Formerly 4yikes2yoshi0
B
Legend
Legend
B
I find it ironic Congress is now, all of a sudden, concerned about people lying inside the chambers.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I find it ironic Congress is now, all of a sudden, concerned about people lying inside the chambers.

It all depends on which side of the big table you are sitting, who you are connected to, and what election mileage they think they can get out of going after you.....

yebat' Putin
F
Legend
Legend
F
I find it interesting Congress is even involved with a sport league issue.

Sure Clemens may have lied in front of Congress, but why was he there in the first place? If he is using illegal steroids then that is a police matter. Is congress going to subject the NFL, NHL, NBA, etc to the same process they have done with MLB?

10%+ unemployment rates, foreclosures in record numbers, spiraling deficits, an unbalanced budget, and Congress is worried about banned substances in baseball?

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
Congress is better at telling other people what to do than actually doing their own jobs .......

Sad but true.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I find it interesting Congress is even involved with a sport league issue.

Sure Clemens may have lied in front of Congress, but why was he there in the first place? If he is using illegal steroids then that is a police matter. Is congress going to subject the NFL, NHL, NBA, etc to the same process they have done with MLB?

10%+ unemployment rates, foreclosures in record numbers, spiraling deficits, an unbalanced budget, and Congress is worried about banned substances in baseball?

^^^This right here, guys^^^

...is where the thread could have ended for me.

Truth in print.

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Clemens to be indicted

Link Copied to Clipboard