|
|
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 832
All Pro
|
All Pro
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 832 |
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
9. Develop shows that will correct and dismantle the dangerous US world economy.
Sounds like he works in the Obama administration.
This guy was probably angling for a cabinet position. Now Obama will have to come out and talk about how the police acted "stupidly". 
The fact that the guy was an environmentalist and not a Christian means this story will totally disappear in the next 48-72 hours. If this guy was a Christian, there would be a week long Dateline series and an possible legislative action.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 28,449
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 28,449 |
What if he was a Christian Environmentalist???
by the way, I just noticed that you can't spell environmentalist without "mental", lol
Browns is the Browns
... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,149
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,149 |
Damn,..I knew one of us loose cannon, right wing, God fearing, nutso, military veteran, moonshine brewing, gun totin', wackos was gonna lose a head gasket,...
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 832
All Pro
|
All Pro
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 832 |
Quote:
What if he was a Christian Environmentalist??? by the way, I just noticed that you can't spell environmentalist without "mental", lol
Christian environmentalist? I am pretty sure that all environmentalists are religion-hating atheists. Finding a Christian environmentalist would be kind of like finding a lesbian that only dates men... Or a Bengals fan with a brain... 
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,015
Legend
|
OP
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,015 |
Posted: Sep 01, 2010 7:12 PM EDT Updated: Sep 01, 2010 10:31 PM EDT Video Gallery Discovery gunman dead, police say 1:39
An armed man who stormed the headquarters of the Discovery Channel and took three hostages is dead.
After negotiations with 43-year-old James Jay Lee broke down, authorities said they had to open fire after he made an aggressive move with his gun.
"He pulled out the handgun that he came in with and pointed it at one of the hostages. At that point, our tactical units moved in. They shot the suspect. The suspect is deceased," Montgomery Country Maryland Police Chief Tom Manger said.
Authorities had attempted to negotiate with Lee for three hours after he burst into the Discovery building in Silver Spring, Maryland armed with a handgun and what appeared to be a bomb strapped to his body.
A website apparently posted by Lee contains a long, ranting list of demands, including that the Discovery Channel "stop encouraging the birth of any more parasitic human infants."
An executive with Discovery Communications said the company was aware of Mr. Lee's grievances and his threats, but didn't take them seriously. LINK
We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,431
Hall of Famer
|
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,431 |
Quote:
An armed man who stormed the headquarters of the Discovery Channel and took three hostages is dead.
All is well .
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399 |
I heard the hostage takers brother on the radio yesterday afternoon and he wasn't exactly concerned for his brother.. in fact he sort of made fun of him and said this is his "Big moment of 'look at me, look at me'..."
yebat' Putin
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,903
Hall of Famer
|
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,903 |
Actually Merth I'm a Christian and an environmentalist. While my views on the environment don't quite skew to the far reaching "whale wars" mentality I do think that God made us stewards of his creation. Quite frankly we aren't doing a good job of looking after the planet for him. As for this recent nut job.... I don't care for kids. I find them somewhat parasitic and wish fewer people would breed, and for those that do breed would do so in smaller numbers. But you won't catch me storming a building and making demands.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,431
Hall of Famer
|
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,431 |
Quote:
I do think that God made us stewards of his creation.
That turned out to be a mistake didn't it ?
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,903
Hall of Famer
|
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,903 |
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,483
Hall of Famer
|
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,483 |
Ok, first off, what freaking book is he talking about....that's what I want to know. Is it the Communist Manifesto, Mein Kampf or what? Second, what has he been watching on Discovery? I have watched many shows that have showcased ways of making things better. Ok, I will give him the point of the planet's population being a bit out of control but what he's suggesting is completely outrageous. Force people to not have children? What does he want? A future like the one in Judge Dredd? I should hope to hell not. I like human contact from time to time it can be fun.  It will be interesting to see the story behind his psychoses....he definitely had more than one psychosis going on in that brain of his. There seemed to be intimacy issues, mother issues, authority issues and a few more that we all could probably name. It's a damn shame that those three people were terrorized by someone that clearly needed more help than he was getting. I hope that the folks that were held hostage get help dealing with the trauma.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399 |
Quote:
Quote:
I do think that God made us stewards of his creation.
That turned out to be a mistake didn't it ?
God doesn't make mistakes. We, on the other hand, make tons of them.. like putting our possessions before God, putting ourselves before God, putting trees and animals before God...
yebat' Putin
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,667
Dawg Talker
|
Dawg Talker
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,667 |
Quote:
Ok, I will give him the point of the planet's population being a bit out of control but what he's suggesting is completely outrageous. Force people to not have children? What does he want? A future like the one in Judge Dredd? I should hope to hell not. I like human contact from time to time it can be fun.
I think you have your Sly Stallone movies messed up....the movie without physical contact was "Demolition Man"
Be Well
OK....I will slink back into my Geek Hole now...lol
I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...
What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,483
Hall of Famer
|
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,483 |
I knew it was one of those whacked out futuristic movies. Thanks Pete. Be well.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,015
Legend
|
OP
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,015 |
Quote:
Ok, first off, what freaking book is he talking about....that's what I want to know. Is it the Communist Manifesto, Mein Kampf or what? Second, what has he been watching on Discovery? I have watched many shows that have showcased ways of making things better.
Ok, I will give him the point of the planet's population being a bit out of control but what he's suggesting is completely outrageous. Force people to not have children? What does he want? A future like the one in Judge Dredd? I should hope to hell not. I like human contact from time to time it can be fun. 
If he doesn't like the population explosion, he should have take control of someplace in China or India, they are the ones creating the problem. 
And I think his children issue is with the Dugans, Kate + 8, and whatever other shows they have about really large families. I personally find it disturbing that we can create TV shows based on this stuff, and people actually watch it enough to keep it on the air.
We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,015
Legend
|
OP
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,015 |
Quote:
Quote:
I do think that God made us stewards of his creation.
That turned out to be a mistake didn't it ?
All knowing God couldn't see that one coming? And they wonder why some folks have trouble believing.
We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,903
Hall of Famer
|
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,903 |
Quote:
And I think his children issue is with the Dugans, Kate + 8, and whatever other shows they have about really large families. I personally find it disturbing that we can create TV shows based on this stuff, and people actually watch it enough to keep it on the air.
Puppy Mill Mom's coming this season on TLC.  Personally I believe having that many kids borders on child abuse. In the case of "litters" of children there is no way the parents can give each kid the individual attention it needs to raise a mentally/emotionally healthy human. In the case of adults that can't stop pumping out new ones every 9 months, the older kids end up having to raise the younger ones. That is a burden that a child shouldn't have to face. I find both equally disgusting. JMHO
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 51,064
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 51,064 |
Quote:
And I think his children issue is with the Dugans
I think that is the Duggars.
Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.
John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,903
Hall of Famer
|
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,903 |
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I do think that God made us stewards of his creation.
That turned out to be a mistake didn't it ?
All knowing God couldn't see that one coming? And they wonder why some folks have trouble believing.
God did forsee it. It doesn't mean that we should be the ones bringing it about because "well, it's all in His plans anyway".
Last edited by PortlandDawg; 09/02/10 12:21 PM.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399 |
Quote:
Personally I believe having that many kids borders on child abuse. In the case of "litters" of children there is no way the parents can give each kid the individual attention it needs to raise a mentally/emotionally healthy human. In the case of adults that can't stop pumping out new ones every 9 months, the older kids end up having to raise the younger ones. That is a burden that a child shouldn't have to face. I find both equally disgusting. JMHO
I will have to call 3 of my 4 grandparents and tell them they were abused.. because none of them were aware of it. 3 of them had 8+ siblings and they speak fondly of their childhood and 2 of the three were borderline poor and the other one was an orphan taken in and passed around by a variety of families, some of them Amish, some Menonite, others not... but the family she stayed with the longest had 11 kids in the house. Not to worry, I will set them straight and tell them how terribly they were treated.. and that there is no way any of them are mentally or emotionally healthy. 

Seriously dude, just because you don't like kids (parasitic was the word I believe you used)... I know plenty of families with 2 kids that get treated like crap and others with more than half a dozen kids that get treated great.. so just because YOU don't see how it can be done, stop applying words like "abuse" and "mentally/emotionally unhealthy" to things that you don't understand.
yebat' Putin
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,224
Dawg Talker
|
Dawg Talker
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,224 |
Quote:
putting trees and animals before God...
This is an interesting thought. Could you elaborate?
There are no sacred cows.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 19,273
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 19,273 |
LOL! My aunt had 10 kids and all but one are well adjusted college grads. The one that isn't is a talented musician. Another aunt, (her sister) had eight kids.....two RN's, two teachers, a doctor, a guidance counselor, a very successful insurance salesman and a priest. Where in the hell do people come up with this stuff?
And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul. - John Muir
#GMSTRONG
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399 |
Sure. as a Christian you are to put God first in your life. First means FIRST, many people put environmental issues before God.. thus worshipping the creation and not the Creator.
yebat' Putin
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,224
Dawg Talker
|
Dawg Talker
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,224 |
That's understandable. Just wanted to make sure you didn't mean something along the lines of God wants us to abuse his creation.
There are no sacred cows.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399 |
Nope, quite the opposite.. God wants us to treat it with respect and responsibility... but stop short of worshipping it... 
yebat' Putin
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,431
Hall of Famer
|
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,431 |
I envy people like you ( believers ) at times . I have alot of respect for believers of faith and not just Christians . I imagine it is nice to just KNOW that there is a higher power that in the end will lead you to a paradise .
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 30,961
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 30,961 |
Quote:
Seriously dude, just because you don't like kids (parasitic was the word I believe you used)... I know plenty of families with 2 kids that get treated like crap and others with more than half a dozen kids that get treated great.. so just because YOU don't see how it can be done, stop applying words like "abuse" and "mentally/emotionally unhealthy" to things that you don't understand.
Correct. My grandma came from a family of 9 kids (2 sets of twins as siblings actually). My grandma had the fewest kids of all her siblings - just 4.
I have more doctor, surgeon, nurse, orthodontist, and preacher cousins than you can count. (they'd be my first cousins, once removed), and most of them have had large families of 4 or more kids.
Oh, and all the kids - my second cousins, are well adjusted, productive members of society. Imagine that.....how can that be?
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 43,566
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 43,566 |
Quote:
Quote:
Seriously dude, just because you don't like kids (parasitic was the word I believe you used)... I know plenty of families with 2 kids that get treated like crap and others with more than half a dozen kids that get treated great.. so just because YOU don't see how it can be done, stop applying words like "abuse" and "mentally/emotionally unhealthy" to things that you don't understand.
Correct. My grandma came from a family of 9 kids (2 sets of twins as siblings actually). My grandma had the fewest kids of all her siblings - just 4.
I have more doctor, surgeon, nurse, orthodontist, and preacher cousins than you can count. (they'd be my first cousins, once removed), and most of them have had large families of 4 or more kids.
Oh, and all the kids - my second cousins, are well adjusted, productive members of society. Imagine that.....how can that be?
Breeding 
#GMSTRONG
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” Daniel Patrick Moynahan
"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe." Damanshot
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 30,961
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 30,961 |
And, that's funny..............how?
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 43,566
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 43,566 |
Quote:
And, that's funny..............how?
Dude, don't get your ponties in a bunch... it would have been an insult had I said InBreeding...
#GMSTRONG
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” Daniel Patrick Moynahan
"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe." Damanshot
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 30,961
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 30,961 |
My "ponties" weren't in a bunch - I just didn't see what was funny, and that's why I asked a question.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,246
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,246 |
j/c
For some reason, whenever I see the title of this thread, I keep thinking it says "German holds hostage..."
I just keep picturing a guy in lederhosen with a pith helmet on.
I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 28,449
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 28,449 |
kinda like the bad hunter guy in Jumanjij, but with the lederhosen thing going on?
Browns is the Browns
... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,903
Hall of Famer
|
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,903 |
Quote:
Quote:
Personally I believe having that many kids borders on child abuse. In the case of "litters" of children there is no way the parents can give each kid the individual attention it needs to raise a mentally/emotionally healthy human. In the case of adults that can't stop pumping out new ones every 9 months, the older kids end up having to raise the younger ones. That is a burden that a child shouldn't have to face. I find both equally disgusting. JMHO
I will have to call 3 of my 4 grandparents and tell them they were abused.. because none of them were aware of it. 3 of them had 8+ siblings and they speak fondly of their childhood and 2 of the three were borderline poor and the other one was an orphan taken in and passed around by a variety of families, some of them Amish, some Menonite, others not... but the family she stayed with the longest had 11 kids in the house. Not to worry, I will set them straight and tell them how terribly they were treated.. and that there is no way any of them are mentally or emotionally healthy. 

Seriously dude, just because you don't like kids (parasitic was the word I believe you used)... I know plenty of families with 2 kids that get treated like crap and others with more than half a dozen kids that get treated great.. so just because YOU don't see how it can be done, stop applying words like "abuse" and "mentally/emotionally unhealthy" to things that you don't understand.
Sorry if I offended you. Look, my dad is one of 8. I'm one of 8 (with 3 other step siblings and a half brother). I'm talking about these families having 15 kids. Or 6 to 8 babies at a time. But whatever, to each there own. On a side note. I do like kids. I just have no desire to have one. Being an uncle and an "adopted" uncle to my friend's kids is a joy in my life. Having one live off me doesn't appeal to me at all.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 30,961
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 30,961 |
Quote:
On a side note. I do like kids. I just have no desire to have one. Being an uncle and an "adopted" uncle to my friend's kids is a joy in my life. Having one live off me doesn't appeal to me at all.
And that is absolutely your right.
My brother is the same way - doesn't want kids - and consequently, he and his wife don't have kids. And he's an uncle to 8 kids on his side of the family, and to 4 or 5 on his wife's side. He likes that. In fact, ALL of his nieces and nephews have gotten money for college from him and his wife. So far, to the tune of $4,000 each............that's 4 grand times 12 or 13 nieces and nephews.
His choice to not have kids. His choice to help family. No problem on either end as far as I'm concerned.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399 |
Quote:
Look, my dad is one of 8. I'm one of 8 (with 3 other step siblings and a half brother). I'm talking about these families having 15 kids. Or 6 to 8 babies at a time. But whatever, to each there own.
Personally I don't see how they do it either and I apologize for snapping.. I just don't think we should automatically assume that the kids are not well cared for.
Quote:
On a side note. I do like kids. I just have no desire to have one. Being an uncle and an "adopted" uncle to my friend's kids is a joy in my life. Having one live off me doesn't appeal to me at all.
That's cool but I will say that as a father of two, I may provide the money and resource but my kids don't "live off me".. quite the contrary, I live off them.. I feed off their energy, their enthusiasm, their youthful exuberance.. and as my oldest has just started high school, I find that with each new step in their development it opens up new things to me.. As you said, 'to each their own' but I just could not imagine getting up every day and living primarily for myself..
yebat' Putin
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,015
Legend
|
OP
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,015 |
All I have to say on the matter is "Keep your kids off my damn lawn." 
We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
|
|
|
DawgTalkers.net
Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Gunman holds hostage in Discovery
Channel HQ building
|
|