Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
L
Today, Sept. 18, is the 40th anniversary of the death of Jimi Hendrix, widely considered the most influential guitarist in rock history. Hendrix died in a London flat in 1970, from a lethal mixture of alcohol and sleeping pills.
As a guitarist (just a weekend warrior, I'm my own audience), I think Hendrix laid waste to pretty much all rock guitar playing that came before him, and most of what came after him.
He was not formally trained but was a phenomenally gifted composer - I think if Hendrix had been born 200 years ago he might have been a classical music composer. Check out Axis: Bold as Love (my favorite Hendrix song), or Are You Experienced? or Wind Cries Mary..... I'm not a religious man, but Hendrix was not of this earth.

Jimi - if there's a rock and roll heaven, we know who's on lead guitar.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't have enough Jimmy on my iPod

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
Legend
Legend
The title of this one is fitting.....also one of my favorite Hendrix songs. This will blow you away. (The drum solo's over at 0:50 if you want to jump to Jimi playing.)

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
A very talented and gifted guitarist however as a singer he's mediocre but he made some great riffs and belted out just enough from his vocal chords for me to like him. Granted that's just my opinion and I'm terribly picky about the music I listen to.

Here's an interesting fact I found about Jimi awhile ago. He actually wasn't left handed. When he picked up a guitar it didn't feel right to him to use his left hand on the fret board so he flipped it around and the rest is history. Here's a link to the story.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He could have gotten a left handed guitar....

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
He couldn't afford one at the time. He then played those upside down Strats until the end.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
S
Legend
Legend
S
little wing - probably my favorite jimi song

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
My all-time favorite album will ALWAYS be the original Band of Gypsies. Not the multi-disc Hendrix family cash-grab version, but the original release. Only six songs on the thing. Live at the Fillmore, New Years Ever, 1969 into 70. His new band w/ Billy Cox and Buddy Miles. It's rock, funk, psychedelic and soul all in one. Check it out . . .

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Nice video J!

Is that Mitch Mitchell on drums...........I do believe it is in the video.

I seen Mitchell play with a band called Ramatan.........never forget the date and venue!

Dayton Hara Arena July 15, 1972!

The Groundhogs were supposed to be the backup band!

It ended up being Ramatan warming up for Sabbath.

It was cool to see Mitch Mitchell on drums back then!

Hendrix and Stevie Ray were two of a kind.........great rock and blues combination!

Never had the chance to see either in concert...........they both died way too young.

I loved the Rainbow Bridge album........my favorite Hendrix album!

[Linked Image from i96.photobucket.com]

GO BROWNS!
Legend
Legend
Hendrix is one kind of music that you just can't listen to quietly. Whether it's If 6 was 9, Crosstown Traffic, Watchtower, etc., you just have to turn it up.

For me, my absolute favorite is Voodoo Chile (slight return). Interesting story about it:

This was recorded after Hendrix had finished the long, slow blues of "Voodoo Chile," a 15-minute jam that appears earlier on the album. An ABC film crew came into the studio to do a piece on The Experience, and told them to "make like you're playing, boys." Jimi said, "Okay, let's do this in E." The TV footage was lost.

link

Also, one of my favorite Simpsons quotes, when Homer, Moe, Lenny and Carl are trying to decide (as children) what the name of their music group is:

Carl: Could you imagine us working there? The whole Carl Crew!?

Lenny: Hey I thought we were called Lenny And The Jets?

Moe: Ah you're both wrong. We're the Moe Szyslak Experience featuring Homer.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Ya know,
I often wonder what people thought about when they heard him playing back in the 60s?? If you think about it, there was Cream with Clapton, The Rolling Stones, The Who..etc but Hendrix was just a cut above all those greats. And even they knew he was better than they were, so just imagine what some kid in England or the US thinks when he is listening to Hendrix for the first time or LIVE...OMG.. must have blown their minds!!!

And I have always thought, the electric version of "Hear my Train a comin" was the BEST Hendrix has ever done. I first thought Machine Gun but Hear my train a comin takes all the emotion one can get out of a guitar and lays it out. After listening to that song, I'm either too fired up or too drained. I either lift harder or turn it up louder to hear all it has....

Hendrix, just a cut about the rest.

Legend
Legend
Yes, that's Mitch Mitchell. That must've been a great Sabbath concert you saw, though I never heard of Ramatan. Hendrix actually played at the University of Toledo fieldhouse...as a backup to The Monkeys. Just a little before my time though. Led Zeppelin played the Toledo Sports Arena backing up Vanilla Fudge back then also. If people only knew, LOL.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
M
All Pro
All Pro
M
Jimi Hendrix will always be one of my all time favorite rock and roll guitar players right along with Eddie Van Halen, Chris Duarte, Sonny Landreth, and Eric Johnson. Can't believe it's been 40 years already. Another great talent taken way too soon. RIP, Jimi.

"My opinions and feelings are mine and shall not be influenced by anyone....especially liberals."
L
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
L
Quote:

He couldn't afford one at the time. He then played those upside down Strats until the end.

Originally, lefty guitars were much harder to find.
Jimi liked flipping right-handed guitars upside-down because it put the volume/tone knobs up where it was easier to manipulate them while he was playing.

Also, (I read this just yesterday): with an upside-down Strat, the angle of the bridge pickup (the rear one) made the low 'E' string brighter-sounding, and the high 'E' string was made to sound mellower.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Quote:

Yes, that's Mitch Mitchell. That must've been a great Sabbath concert you saw, though I never heard of Ramatan. Hendrix actually played at the University of Toledo fieldhouse...as a backup to The Monkeys. Just a little before my time though. Led Zeppelin played the Toledo Sports Arena backing up Vanilla Fudge back then also. If people only knew, LOL.

It was a great show when Sabbath was in town..front row tickets........leaning on the stage in front of the Laney amps! My ears were ringing for 3 days after that concert.

It is hard to believe that Hendrix played back-up to the Monkeys!

Zeppelin along with Vanilla Fudge.....that had to be awesome!

It is hard to listen to half the crap.....that they call music these days......not much talent!

I miss Stevie Ray Vaugh.....he was one of the best!

[Linked Image from i96.photobucket.com]

GO BROWNS!
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Quote:

Are You Experienced?

My favorite Hendrix song for a long time, though I now think its transitioning to One Rainy Wish or Voodoo Child (Slight Return). Just can't decide.

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
A
Rookie
Rookie
A
Everyone experiences events in life that shape or change their mindset. There is nothing quite like being thirteen years old and hearing Purple Haze for the first time.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Everyone experiences events in life that shape or change their mindset. There is nothing quite like being thirteen years old and hearing Purple Haze for the first time.

Kind of along those lines, I remember being 12 years old and hearing Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
I forgot to mention when I posted earlier, that my Dad just toured the Hendrix museum during his trip to Seattle. He said it was top notch. Hopefully he has some pictures I might be able to post.

Legend
Legend
I don't think enough people talk about his death as it should be...a murder.

Death
Early on September 18, 1970, Jimi Hendrix died in London. He had spent the latter part of the previous evening at a party and was picked up by girlfriend Monika Dannemann and driven to her flat at the Samarkand Hotel, 22 Lansdowne Crescent, Notting Hill. According to the estimated time of death, from autopsy data and statements by friends about the evening of September 17, he died within a few hours after midnight, though no precise estimate was made at the original inquest.

Dannemann claimed in her original testimony that after they returned to her lodgings the evening before, Hendrix, unknown to her, had taken nine of her prescribed Vesperax sleeping pills. The normal medical dose was half a tablet, but Hendrix was unfamiliar with this very strong German brand. According to surgeon John Bannister, the doctor who initially attended to him, Hendrix had asphyxiated in his own vomit, mainly red wine which had filled his airways, as the autopsy was to show. For years, Dannemann publicly claimed that she had only discovered that her lover was unconscious and unresponsive sometime after 9 a.m., that Hendrix was alive when placed in the back of the ambulance after half past eleven, and that she rode with him on the way to the hospital; the latter two are denied by the ambulance crew. However, Dannemann's comments about that morning were often contradictory, varying from interview to interview. Police and ambulance statements reveal that there was no one but Hendrix in the flat when they arrived at 11:27 a.m., and not only was he dead when they arrived on the scene, but was fully clothed and had been dead for some time.

Later, Dannemen claimed that former road managers Gerry Stickels and Eric Barrett had been present before the ambulance was called and had removed some of Hendrix's possessions, including some of his most recent messages. Lyrics written by Hendrix, which were found in the apartment, led Eric Burdon to make a premature announcement on the BBC-TV program 24 Hours that he believed Hendrix had committed suicide. Burdon often claimed he had been telephoned by Dannemann after she discovered that Jimi failed to wake up.

Following a libel case brought in 1996 by Hendrix's long-term English girlfriend Kathy Etchingham, Monika Dannemann committed suicide.

Allegations of murder
A former Animals "roadie," James "Tappy" Wright, published a book in May 2009 claiming Hendrix's manager, Mike Jeffery, admitted to him that he had Hendrix killed because the rock star wanted to end his management contract John Bannister, the doctor who attended the scene of his death in 1970 stated in 2009 that it "sounded plausible".

It was claimed that Mike Jeffery was not "in London," he was in Spain when Jimi died in London on September 18, 1970.

"There was a freak storm across Majorca and all the phone lines were down. Somebody told Mike that Jimi had been trying to phone him. The first call that got through was to say Jimi was dead. Mike was terribly upset at the thought of Jimi not being able to get through to him." - Trixie Sullivan, secretary/assistant for Mike Jeffery

Wiki Page

Shame.

We were playing this "if you had a time machine and could go back and just watch something in the past and not change it....or profit from the truth once you returned" game at work a few weeks back. One of my choices was to go back and watch the 1969 Monterey International Pop Festival so I could see his set live (already seen/listened to it tons of times). The other was watching the 1980 US Olympic game against Soviet Union (going back to see the JFK assaination is too obvious).

With the Browns losing....maybe that's a good thread to start to keep us talking.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
Wow, what I wouldn't give to see the JFK thing and resolve that,....

All that info on the Hendrix "murder" is intriuging,...had never seen any of that before.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Jimi Hendrix: 40th anniversary

Link Copied to Clipboard