Print Thread
#529436 09/21/10 07:27 PM
B
bigf00t Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
B
I'll be the first too admit it- these smart phones are amazing- way smarter then i am. I just purchased the droid incredible.

My question is how to access broadband (by hopefully circling around the broadband that verizon offers). Is it possible? I do not really want to root this thing yet- i understand it voids the warranty.

I have found two apps that will allow me to tether the phone to the PC. Easyteather and PDAnet. Will this still acrue broadband chargers from verizon- or do the apps avoid that fee?

Are there any other apps that will give me broadband access that might be better then easytether or pdanet? And once again avoid the broadband fee.

If i have to root it, is it hard to do? Will this avoid the broadband fees?

Thanks for any info

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Go with Sprint...unlimited everything.

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I use PDAnet to thether my laptop to my phone so I can listen to browns games with nfl audio pass. Works fairly easy. I have tmobile and a samsung galaxy.

Joe Thomas #73
Y
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Y
I use PDANet as well. Good app

#gmstrong
Y
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Y
You will use your broadband anytime you use any app that allows you to tether. I second the above comment. Go with Sprint and tell these greedy companies they can take their caps and shove em.

#gmstrong
B
bigf00t Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
B
OK, sprint doesn't work in my home- so kind of stuck with verizon.

So to any verizon user- will i have a charge on broadband usage no matter what i do or app that i use..... maybe that is why people root it?

Y
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Y
Again, yes you will be charged if you go over your cap. Tethering uses your data plan. Only thing that doesn't is WiFi.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'm not a Droid user, are they good?

LET'S GO BROWNS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[Linked Image]
[b]WOOF WOOF[b]
B
Legend
Legend
B
I am a bad ass MF'er since I started....though I have ruined several keyboards by drooling on them.....but it's worth it IMO.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
PDAnet user as well. Great app if you don't want to root your phone. I've been using it since january and never exceeded the 5mb "unlimited" cap. Highly recommend it.

#gmstrong
B
bigf00t Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
B
So if they tell me the data plan is "unlimited"- does it have a 5mb cap. And out of curiosity, how much do you use it. I'm trying to figure out if i can get rid of my charter connection and just go with the droid.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
my data plan is unlimited. I stream audio on the net for 4 hours every sunday.
unlimited means unlimited internet on my plan.

Joe Thomas #73
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Quote:

So if they tell me the data plan is "unlimited"- does it have a 5mb cap. And out of curiosity, how much do you use it. I'm trying to figure out if i can get rid of my charter connection and just go with the droid.

As far as I know verizon has an unlimited plan (the $30/month plan), to my knowledge, unlimited is unlimited.

B
bigf00t Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
B
thanks for the info. Unlimited is how i take it as well, as long as i'm not using the mobile broadband on the droid which is a different package all together. I'll have to see if i can get one of those apps to work. Sometimes the technology stuff gets me a bit lost -if it doesn't work on set up, its hard to trouble shoot the problems.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
When I tether with pdanet. The phone has to be in sleep mode when I connect the usb. Turn on pdanet. Put phone in sleep mode. Plug in usb. Click icon on the computer, instant connection.

Joe Thomas #73
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
i have verizon unlimited data ($30/mo.) and i steam pandora every day at work and watch tv and do all kinds of crazy $hit with my droid. one downfall is that I have the Iris and i filled it up pretty fast with a lot of apps that i didnt really need and it really slowed my phone down

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Ive had my Incredible since May or June and use the crap out of it. Never had any extra charges for usage.

I asked and was told "Unlimited means unlimited". I do look for that to change in the future as companies want more n more $$$!!!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

i have verizon unlimited data ($30/mo.) and i steam pandora every day at work and watch tv and do all kinds of crazy $hit with my droid. one downfall is that I have the Iris and i filled it up pretty fast with a lot of apps that i didnt really need and it really slowed my phone down

Just load an app killer...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Just a FYI, I would read reviews on app killers before using them.

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Advanced Task Killer is the best one that I've seen so far! I've got the DroidX and have had no problems with Verizon's cheaper unlimited plan ($10/month). I've streamed Pandora, done a ton of surfing, tethered my laptop to it to do some image research, and downloaded product catalogs which easily put me way over 5mb my first month and I didn't get any access data charges.

[Linked Image from img.photobucket.com]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

i have one but my apps took up too much storage on the phone. i got the low storage warning and my phone was crawling along.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

i have one but my apps took up too much storage on the phone. i got the low storage warning and my phone was crawling along.

space or ram? If it's a space issue.. try app2sd if you can.

personally I'm running froyo on a mytouch 1.2 with no problems.. but then again I have it rooted and running setcpu with no appkiller...

I've heard that app killers make it worse on droid phones because the android o/s is built to take care of it by itself and that when you run an app killer you are killing processes, but then they try to relaod themselves right back up.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Don't be burdened by regrets or make your failures an obsession or become embittered or possessed by ruined hopes"
O
Legend
Legend
O
WebOS kills Android!!!!!1!!!1!!!2

Ok ok, the troll went back under the bridge...

I was unaware Verizon had an unlimited plan. Or is it that they're doing away with it soon?

I get zero reception at my new apartment, but I called up and complained to Sprint, and they got me one of those in-home cell towers. It hooks up to my high-speed internet and broadcasts a 3G signal in my apartment. I can take and make calls. They paid the $100 equipment fee, and I pay the monthly subscription (I probably could've argued out of that, too but it's only $5 a month).

As a potential new customer, you could probably get the whole thing for free.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Back to the topic at hand.. anyone have any feelings about the Virgin Mobile Mifi?

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/mobile-broadband/mifi-2200.html

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Don't be burdened by regrets or make your failures an obsession or become embittered or possessed by ruined hopes"
F
Legend
Legend
F
Quote:

WebOS kills Android!!!!!1!!!1!!!2

Ok ok, the troll went back under the bridge...

I was unaware Verizon had an unlimited plan. Or is it that they're doing away with it soon?

I get zero reception at my new apartment, but I called up and complained to Sprint, and they got me one of those in-home cell towers. It hooks up to my high-speed internet and broadcasts a 3G signal in my apartment. I can take and make calls. They paid the $100 equipment fee, and I pay the monthly subscription (I probably could've argued out of that, too but it's only $5 a month).

As a potential new customer, you could probably get the whole thing for free.

I have a Sprint AirWave modem at home as well, my house is a dead zone, probably because of the foil backed plywood on the roof. The AirWave works great.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
B
bigf00t Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
B
thanks all for the info.

I'll give an update. I tried easy tether first, simply because the upgrade to full version was less then that offered by PDAnet.

After getting the drivers installed on the computer, it works great. Unfortunately, it is not nearly as fast as charter- video really bogs down. But in a pinch, this is a great ap. I'm just getting sick of the fees charter charges for internet, qwest just became available in my area and for $15 per month for 6 months and no contract i think i will give them a try. But for a laptop on the go and no wifi available- this is a real cool option to outsmart verizon.

As far as charges, my plan shows alot of data being transmitted, but it still says unlimited usage and i see no new charges on the bill.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Any Droid users out there??

Link Copied to Clipboard