Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
K
what do we do?

who can we sign? Engram? promote Carlton Mitchell to active? I think thats a must...we have to do that, but...

a couple questions...

Who returns punts?
Who fills in for those two?
Who is a free agent we can acquire?
Can we really succeed with Stuckey, Robiskie, and Mitchell at WR?

What do we do if Massaquoi and Cribbs miss any time?

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
O
Legend
Legend
O
Isn't Haden our backup return guy?

Cribbs has said he thinks he can play this Sunday.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
C
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
C
This is what you get when you don't properly address the WR position over the last 3 years.
Mangini totally whiffed when he drafted Slobiskie and Massaquoi. One is a role player and the other would make a good Arena League WR.
Chansi Stuckey is what he is,a "y" WR.
If he is the #1 WR due to injury,he will get overmatched,rerouted and abused by the teams other #1 CB.
and heres the kicker..teams can load 8 or even 9 in the box and not worry about McCoy beating single coverage to the outside......
welcome to the worst WR core in the NFL thanks to Mangini..who jettisoned Edwards to the Jets and passed on quailty FA's like Brandon Lloyd.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Stuckey is more productive than Robo and Massa TOGETHER anyway, and I'm not pimping Stuckey here, who is a capable but below AVG #2, AVG #3 and pretty good #4 WR to have on the roster ...those 2 are only playing because of Mangini's ego and because of "youth" and "upside", which isn't there anyway....never was. They were possession-WR in College..should have clicked by now....instead they both regressed...just punt the both of them and get some real WRs in here

Micthell can't be worse, at least he might stretch the field with his speed...he could become our Mike Wallace

So, Engram (if brought back), Stuckey and Mitchell + Moore are a better group than Robo, Massa and Cribbs...they complement each other better too....

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
a lot of two tight ends (watson and moore) with robo and stuckey out wide. it looks grim but this is an opportunity for moore.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Use Moore more. WR, TE; doesn't matter - he must be on the field.

"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"
GO ROCKETS
Legend
Legend
Mitchell is on the 53 man roster,, so I guess he's easy to activate next week if needed.

Jordan Norwood is on the PS.. can he return punts/kickoffs?

Can Davis return punts or KO's

Haden can return KO's, not sure about punts. (or is it the other way around?)

I'm not sure Ingram is a likely possibility. he wasn't here that long and he's very long in the tooth.. For a quick fix,, dunno, might be an idea...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
edited, below

#gmstrong

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Totally forgot about him....I always liked him as a prospect out of College at Penn St....Heckert seems to like him too....he was on the PS in PHI, who have a much deeper group...I'd promote him and look what he's got

#gmstrong

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

a lot of two tight ends (watson and moore) with robo and stuckey out wide. it looks grim but this is an opportunity for moore.

Honestly, I'd say it looks about the same as what we've already seen so far this season.

Legend
Legend
If I'm not mistaken, Mitchell was active last week.

I would suspect that Moore will play .. *ahem* more at WR if Massaquoi and Cribbs are both out or limited. He might play receiver or slot depending on what we need. I would expect someone other than Stuckey to return punts given his difficutlies last week.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

I would expect someone other than Stuckey to return punts given his difficutlies last week.

We should give the Hartford Colonials a call. They have both Steptoe and Lawson on their roster.

Delhomme for Lawson. Straight up.

Legend
Legend
1) Stuckey
2) Robo
3) Mitchell
4) Moore

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Mitchell was inactive. We only had Robo and Stuckey after the injuries.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Totally forgot about him....I always liked him as a prospect out of College at Penn St....Heckert seems to like him too....he was on the PS in PHI, who have a much deeper group...I'd promote him and look what he's got

Is there a risk to bringing him up.. meaning, if we sign him to the active roster, doesn't he have to stay on it for several weeks. I know there are some rules, but I don't know all the various ramifacations.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
The biggest thing is that there needs to be a roster spot in order to bring him up.

That may be getting made available by Robaire going on IR.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
You're right.

I still would expect to see Evan Moore play more WR this coming week.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
I called for that last week,....

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
My question is what's the deal with Robo? He was supposed to be the most "ready" WR in that draft. Why is it that Brian Hartline is making more plays than Robo up to this point? Would anyone prefered Hartline in that draft over Robo? (no)
Robo's bigger, with a better 40 time but still Hartline is putting up better numbers since being drafted in the same class. Is Henne a better QB than Wallace? What's going on with Robo that is holding him back?

Robo...
6'3" 209 4.49
12 receptions 142 yards 9.5 yards per game 0tds (not even contributing one first down unit (10yards) per game)

Hartline
6'2" 195 4.52
46 receptions 683 yards 32.5 yards per game 4tds (three first downs per game. How may games could we have won with 2 or three more first downs? My guess, a few.)

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Heckert needs to pull his head out of his backside and go hard after a vet WR.
I've liked what he and Homgren have done so far, but I can't for the life of me understand their reasoning behind not signing a GOOD WR.

Late in the game Sunday, there were times when Colt had a ton of time, and not one receiver could get open....WTF!!!!!!!

Last edited by eryze19akaBT58; 10/19/10 06:07 PM.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

I've liked what he and Homgren have done so far, but I can't for the life of me understand their reasoning behind not signing a GOOD WR.

Who would you have liked them to sign? Nate Burleson? Laveranues Coles? Torry Holt? Joey Galloway? Matt Jones?

I agree that we need better WR's. But it's not like there was anyone that is any good out there to get.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

What's going on with Robo that is holding him back?

Hated the pick when we made it. Drove me absolutely nuts.

With that said ... we do run routes that are comparable to H.S. football teams.

Where to draw the line at WR failures and O.C. failures ... I don't know. But it's been clear when re-watching games that our WR's are a little handcuffed by a vanilla offense.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Heckert needs to pull his head out of his backside and go hard after a vet WR.

Late in the game Sunday, there were times when Colt had a ton of time, and not one receiver could get open....WTF!!!!!!!

While there is good truth to your point, I noticed that as the game wore on, the Steelers figured out they didn't need to rush more than 3. There were 8 "out-of-the-box" in coverage on most plays. Of course, we tried no draws, screens, or rollouts to alleviate any 'overcoverage' either.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Quote:

My question is what's the deal with Robo? He was supposed to be the most "ready" WR in that draft.

i'm convinced now that, when we have a skill player described as "most nfl ready," i want nothing to do with him. it applied to quinn and it applied to robo and i now look at it almost like a kiss of death. that means this person produced but does not have any sort of top percentile talent and instead, they'll just say he's "ready" for the nfl. it's bull. i'm still hoping for robo to turn things on but when you're a wr, you should be able to run fast, or jump high, or have hands of glue or something in your scouting report. not just "nfl ready."

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
1. Robo
2. Stuckey
3. Moore
4. resign Sam Aiken/Mitchell

That's the likely, and ugly, lineup.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

1. Robo
2. Stuckey
3. Moore
4. resign Sam Aiken/Mitchell

That's the likely, and ugly, lineup.

Mitchell is already on the 53 man roster..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
http://www.kffl.com/team/13/nfl

Browns | Two players signed

Wed, 20 Oct 2010 07:31:09 -0700

The Cleveland Browns have signed free-agent WR Yamon Figurs (Raiders) and OL Paul McQuistan (Jaguars), reports The Cleveland Plain Dealer's Tony Grossi. Terms of the contracts were not disclosed.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

The Cleveland Browns have signed free-agent WR Yamon Figurs (Raiders) and OL Paul McQuistan (Jaguars), reports The Cleveland Plain Dealer's Tony Grossi. Terms of the contracts were not disclosed.

OMG,, Did you notice on that link that Pashos is on IR? Wow,, we're getting killed with injuries...

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
I think that RT has GOT to be at the absolute top of our offseason priorities list.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I think that RT has GOT to be at the absolute top of our offseason priorities list.

That and a WR.. We may be able to muddle through another year with the RB's and TE's we have. But we won't get anywhere until we find a RT and a #1 WR.

We still need depth on the Dline as well..

We are a long way off from being a good team I"m afraid.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Quote:

OMG,, Did you notice on that link that Pashos is on IR? Wow,, we're getting killed with injuries...

Unfortunately, yes. I pasted this same link in the Robaire Smith thread, which might as well now be the Injured Reserve thread . . .

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Nah .. I think the QB issue of whether or not we move on without or with mccoy could be an additional year of time to be good ...

But I would argue what we NEED to get and not just stopgap street free agents would be (in whatever order) the following:

#1 WR
RT
FS
DL
LB

THEN LB Depth (possibly a starter .. but it depends)
OL Depth
Another RB depending on our health and plans with Hillis, Montario, Davis, and if we like and resign Bell
Another Corner depending on what we do with and the play of wright / brown
more dline depth

If we dont need a QB we can draft a WR, Monster on def. front 7, and FS / RT

the rest pf the draft is depth
Bring in another OL, DL, and LB from FA (good not lights out even)

Thats a solid team if we can hit in the draft

"Believe deep down in your heart that you're destined to do great things."

@pstu24
Legend
Legend
Quote:

That's a solid team if we can hit in the draft

I'm not laughing at you, but that's a chuckler.

Legend
Legend
I want more of evan Moore this week! Line him up at wide or slot. Worst that happens? A) He is taller, B) he might be slower and have separation issues, and C) he catches the ball. We all have seen B and plenty in MoMass and Robiskie. Four or five tight end set. Watson helps us. Heck, I would consider starting Moore for Wright. Better attitude, hustle, always around the ball, and always tries to make a play. I suggest that sometimes injuries are opportunities; they can force coaches out of mindsets and ineffective favorites and force them into new looks, new packages, with new blood. Going into a bye week against the Aints, and with our record on the line, I want to see us look for help. The injury big may be a door kicked open for the rest of the campaign. Because what we have used can't go, and the answers can only be found elsewhere. Consider it and look around the league if it is a fix for the rest of the year.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
haha no I know .. and Im not saying that we WILL ... many will think we CANT because of recent years of our history ...

But look at Heckerts in Philly .. and they are at least competitive.

IF we still have approximately all 7 of our picks, (we lost one for seneca, but I think have one more for quinn still...)

we NEED to find 2 starters, SHOULD find 3 starters / contributors ... and HOPE that we can get 4+ ...

What im saying is in my mind we need a WR, RT, and 3 more on Defense. If we can nail down 2 to 3 of those in the draft and add another few bodies for depth or development through the draft ... then if we could bring in a legit free agent or two (not break the bank like haynesworth or peppers have been .. but still a starter) ... we can definately be a solid team.

If nothin else ... the "to do" list for our personnel is at least shorter than last year at this time ...

"Believe deep down in your heart that you're destined to do great things."

@pstu24
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I like Figurs...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I've been talking about this for years now.

The fact is, finding a decent RT in FA is very difficult. Our best option is to pick one up in the draft. Unfortunately a lot of the good tackles are taken by the end of round 1

So round 1 or 2, we gotta figure out a way to get ourselves a RT. RG can be satisfied in FA (or hopefully held by Lavuvo). RT is an absolute must though, that along with a legitimate WR. But I think we'd have a better chance of finding a WR in FA or via trade than a good RT ALA Boldin.

People talk about who they want, I want AJ Green with our top pick (he's great), otherwise, a tackle. I'd be willing to let "The Tallest" Wallace continue to start at QB if we could satisfy those needs

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Legend
Legend
There are certain posters who talk about drafting nothing but OLinemen.

I call them my best friends around here,....

Legend
Legend
I saw we draft 2 this year..

draft a RT rather high... preferably 2nd round
draft a RG rather high... preferably 3rd round

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

I saw we draft 2 this year..

draft a RT rather high... preferably 2nd round
draft a RG rather high... preferably 3rd round

Don't forget about LT. We have no one to back up Thomas. I've worried about that every year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum If Cribbs and MoMass cant play...

Link Copied to Clipboard