Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#552786 12/20/10 12:36 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Man does this division suck, or what?

The 49'ers, at 5-9, are still in the playoff picture. The division winner, should they win out, will be 8-8.

The top teams are:

St Louis: 6-8 Remaining Games are San Francisco at home and @ Seattle

Seattle: 6-8 Remaining Games are @ Tampa Bay and St Louis at home

San Francisco: 5-9 Remaining games are @ St Louis and Arizona at home.

I wonder who wins if there is a 3 way tie at 7-9?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
SF would win based on head to head win %, they would be 3-1. STL and Sea would both be 2-2.

LIbertatem Defendimus!!

2010 Dawgtalkers NCAA Bracket Challenge Champ!!
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I'd love to see a 7-9 team make the playoffs and win the Super Bowl.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
they need to have a rule, if you're under .500 you can't qualify for the playoffs even if you win your division. why should a 7-9 team get a playoff berth, and a home game over a 10-6 squad. makes 0 sense.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
However ...... why have divisions if they don't mean anything?

I DO think that the payoffs should be seeded by record regardless of whether you are a wildcard or a division winner though.

Legend
Legend
In my opinion, divisions are important for scheduling, though some are set up without regard to geography - and that's not an overriding factor by any means. (Were I a traveling fan, I would much rather have Detroit, Buffalo, or Indy in the Browns division, than Baltimore.)

Let alone be only 7-9, I don't believe ANY division winner should be seeded over any team with a better record, UNLESS that winner won a head-to-head contest.

Divisions can still be made to be important. I would tie some kind of monetary reward to them, for example.

You could also realign divisions every year based on standings. Next year, I might have Carolina, Cincy, Denver and Detroit in the same division.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

they need to have a rule, if you're under .500 you can't qualify for the playoffs even if you win your division. why should a 7-9 team get a playoff berth, and a home game over a 10-6 squad. makes 0 sense.

I get what you're saying, but then why even have divisions? I remember quite a few years ago when an upstart 8-8 team with two 1,000 rushers and a young QB won the AFC Central and had a 21-3 halftime lead on the Miami Dolphins in the first round of the playoffs. While the Dolphins won that game, those 8-8 Browns - who were ridiculed for "backing in" to the playoffs, proved they belonged.

If you want to base it on record, then you might as well give the Lombardi Trophy to the team with the best regular season record and skip the rest.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I don't have a problem with any Division Champ making the playoffs, but hosting a playoff game is ridiculous.

Let's just say that in a bizarro world someday the Browns won the North with a 7-9 record... there's no way they should be able to host a 10-6 NE, a 9-7 SD or NYJ or Indy. That rule needs changed.

"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"
GO ROCKETS
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Divisions can still be made to be important. I would tie some kind of monetary reward to them, for example.

You could also realign divisions every year based on standings. Next year, I might have Carolina, Cincy, Denver and Detroit in the same division.

no rivalries anymore? no way.

i do agree with your assertion that there should be a .500 minimum for making the playoffs and that winning your division doesn't guarantee a home playoff game (perhaps make it the 1st tiebreaker).

#gmstrong
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I think the playoffs absolutely should be seeded by record regardless of whether or not you win your division. Finishing without a losing record should not be rewarded with hosting a playoff game at home. It would also give incentive for teams that have clinched playoff berths early to continue playing meaningfully so that they can attain the highest seed possible.

Adam_P #552796 12/26/10 09:18 PM
Legend
Legend
The Division only got worse today,...now next week's Seattle - St Louis game will produce either an 8-8 or 7-9 division winner with 2 other NFC teams at 10-6 and staying home.

They need to take a hard look at this, assuming the thought is not lending itself more to "parity." (I wouldn't care if every team in the League finished 8-8 -- you'd just have to have some more detailed tiebreakers.)

Legend
Legend
Unless they do away with divisions that's just the way it is some years... you want in the playoffs? win your division... if you do that then you don't have to worry about what your record is or tie breaker or any of that stuff....

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
If everyone was 8-8, you certainly would have to worry about tiebreakers,...

Legend
Legend
That's what I'm saying... if you don't want to worry about the tie-breakers just win the division...

<><

#gmstrong
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Quote:

Unless they do away with divisions that's just the way it is some years... you want in the playoffs? win your division... if you do that then you don't have to worry about what your record is or tie breaker or any of that stuff....

If they do away with divisions, might as well do away with conferences. Next someone will complain about a 10-6 team in the NFC staying home and a 9-7 AFC team getting in.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

If they do away with divisions, might as well do away with conferences. Next someone will complain about a 10-6 team in the NFC staying home and a 9-7 AFC team getting in.

I think that's obviously a stretch there...not quite the same dichotomy as being a division winner with a losing record. I think that's the concern there.

All Pro
All Pro
I'm curious to see how people would feel about this scenario even though it would be very unlikely.

Who would be more deserving to either be in the playoffs all together.

A 10 - 6 team that lost all 6 division games or a 7 - 9 team that went 3 - 3 in its division.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

That's what I'm saying... if you don't want to worry about the tie-breakers just win the division...

(I 'd just like to win more than 5 games sometime,..)

And I'm saying you just can't do that when everyone is 8-8. Just pointing out that the current system would probably have to be tweaked to accomodate this kind of an anamoly,...as in, "don't leave me home because of some coin flip."

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
A 10-6 team. They won more games. That's what pro football is about...winning games.

Adam_P #552805 12/29/10 04:50 PM
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
j/c

Being a Seahawks season ticket holder - I kind of wish I was going to this game. Sunday night (and Monday night) games have an extra energy to them.

That being said, I don't think they win, and driving the 3+ hours each way for that doesn't sound like fun. It sounds like less fun if they win, as playoff tickets were $154 for the 2 seats and N'Awlins (likely) will destroy them...

Legend
Legend
Treat it like a first-round playoff, and go.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
There are 3 of us that split the 2 seats and one of the other guys has this game. if they win, I'll probably go to the playoff game just because I already bought the tickets...

I'll be watching it though - will be a great football day for me watching the Browns on TV (rarity out here), then the Seahawks later.

Legend
Legend
Well, I'm pullling for 'ya until they have to play the Bears.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

I'll be watching it though - will be a great football day for me watching the Browns on TV (rarity out here), , then the Seahawks later.

Hey, I watch the Browns on TV "out here" everyweek. You should just come to the Blitz Ladd and watch the game with a bunch of other local Dawgs.

[Linked Image]
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Yeah, I should - Sunday is normally the only day I have to get things done around here, so I try to stay home with the game audio on my phone and do "chores".

Legend
Legend
J/c,...I want to bump this and remind everyone this is basically a head-to-head playoff game, and ought to be worth watching tonite, even while we hang our heads otherwise,....

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Yeah...I already adopted the Rams, which probably means they'll lose

I like how Spags has them playing...a fun team to watch....their fans have every right to talk about "process"

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Because they play in a crappy division and have 2 more wins than us?

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

No, because they have less talent than us and are put in a good position to win constantly despite haveing bottom dweller talent....just look at their D formations and presnap movement on O....Spags isn't 100%, no HC is...but he's doing a pretty good job...the Rams have 43 sacks (just 1 behind league 1st) and have pretty much the worst starting OLB tandem in the entire league (Vobora, Chamberlain, Grant), a very crappy SS (Dahl), an overrated at best AVG FS (Atogwe) and a very young CB group with mixed talent (Fletcher dude is ok, the rest? meh)...their DL has some talent but he got the most out of pretty much every player there...Robbins and Hall were declining year after year...and now they have career years at 33/34yo? Long finally broke out? That's no coincidence, that's good coaching...Spags is a D-mastermind and he has an overall pretty crappy D playing way above their heads

Their O needs some work, but they are very creative to use what little they have....this team is really challenging us for the worst WR group, believe it or not...and they have no rec-TE like us, they have a worse OL, Jackson had a 3.7yd/carry year...they have a top 10 rookie QB, we had a 3rd round QB, that's their only position they're better equipped....and they still produce over 20yds/game more than us

It's coaching...trust me...just once, you won't regret it

#gmstrong

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Please change your adoption Django. I really don't want to go see Nawlins destroy Seattle next week, and doubt I'll be able to get rid of the tickets.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

No, because they have less talent than us and are put in a good position to win constantly despite haveing bottom dweller talent....just look at their D formations and presnap movement on O....Spags isn't 100%, no HC is...but he's doing a pretty good job...the Rams have 43 sacks (just 1 behind league 1st) and have pretty much the worst starting OLB tandem in the entire league (Vobora, Chamberlain, Grant), a very crappy SS (Dahl), an overrated at best AVG FS (Atogwe) and a very young CB group with mixed talent (Fletcher dude is ok, the rest? meh)...their DL has some talent but he got the most out of pretty much every player there...Robbins and Hall were declining year after year...and now they have career years at 33/34yo? Long finally broke out? That's no coincidence, that's good coaching...Spags is a D-mastermind and he has an overall pretty crappy D playing way above their heads

Their O needs some work, but they are very creative to use what little they have....this team is really challenging us for the worst WR group, believe it or not...and they have no rec-TE like us, they have a worse OL, Jackson had a 3.7yd/carry year...they have a top 10 rookie QB, we had a 3rd round QB, that's their only position they're better equipped....and they still produce over 20yds/game more than us

It's coaching...trust me...just once, you won't regret it

The Rams play in a crap division.

They have scored 12 poiints more than us, and have given up 20 fewer points (going into tonight's game) while playing the Seahawks, 49ers and Cardinals while we were playing the Steelers, Bengaks, and Ravens.

Pardon me if I'm unimpressed.

3 of their 7 wins have come against crappy teams in their own division.

Do you really think that the Rams could beat the Steelers or Ravens even once out of 4 games?

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Which part of "they have less talent than us" didn't you get btw? ...I even gave you an Offense and Defense breakdown...we DO, in fact, have better talent as much as you like to repeat that we are nothing and should be thankful to Mangini for the 5 wins we got and just follow his "process"....let me guess, you're a devout catcholic, right?

#gmstrong

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
The Rams have less talent? That's debatable. They definitely have more pass rushers than we do. (by far) What's not debatable is that they won 3 games inside of their division, and the best team in that division has less talent than the Bengals do in the AFC North. The Bengals would have run away with that division, probably going undefeated in the division.

Look at St Louis' schedule. I know you don't seem to think that it matters who a team plays .... but humor me:

Arizona 5-11
@ Oakland 8-8
Washington 6-10
Seattle 6-9 (not counting tonight)
@ Detroit 6-10
San Diego 9-7
@ Tampa Bay 10-6
Carolina 2-14
@ San Francisco 6-10
Atlanta 13-3
@ Denver 4-12
@ Arizona 5-11
@ New Orleans 11-5
Kansas City 10-6
San Francisco 6-10
Seattle 6-9 (awaiting tonight's final)

Our common opponents were
Tampa Bay
Carolina
Atlanta
New Orleans
Kansas City

They went 1-4 and we went 2-3 against common opponents.

Outside of common opponents, they had 1 game against a team with a winning record. (San Diego)

We had 7, having played Baltimore twice, Pittsburgh twice, New England, NY Jets, and Jacksonville.

That might make a slight difference, don't you think?

Legend
Legend

S
All Pro
All Pro
S
Quote:

Nah, that's WIN!

..here's to hoping Seattle shocks the Saints giving fans another reason to complain.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I hope the Seahags win the damn Super Bowl.

Legend
Legend
J/K

I don't understand why so many are upset about the Seahawks record. If the NFL put a priority on having the best six teams in the playoffs from each conference, they wouldn't have set up divisions. There's always a possibility of this happening.

In 2008, the 11-5 Pats didn't go to the playoffs but the 8-8 Chargers went. I'm sure people were upset then, but not as much now. And that 8-8 Chargers team went on to beat the 12-4 Colts in the first round. While that doesn't prove the system works, but it shows that even a .500 team can advance once they get in. IMO, Seattle has a punchers chance against the Saints too (unlikely, but their defense played well last night).

Plus, it's only happened twice since the 4-divisional lineup started in 2002. Twice in nine years doesn't really get me that upset.

If we all wanted it "fair".....then do away with the divisions and conferences. The best 12 teams in the league advance, period. That's drastic, but it's the only way to ensure this doesn't happen again. I don't think we need to go that route.

I wouldn't even bother with changing the rules so that a .500 or below division winner can't host a playoff game. If they truly stink, the wild card team should be able to beat them regardless where it's played. And it the division winner wins, it proves they belong.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
F
Legend
Legend
F
I agree... And people wouldn't be complaining if it was Cleveland with 7-9 winning the AFCN to move into the playoffs.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Like I said ...... I hope they win the Super Bowl.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I agree... And people wouldn't be complaining if it was Cleveland with 7-9 winning the AFCN to move into the playoffs.

owned

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum The NFC West....

Link Copied to Clipboard