Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Looking for a link...

Mary kay just announced it as well.

Last edited by KashDawg; 01/03/11 11:06 AM.

“It doesn't make sense to hire smart people and tell them what to do; we hire smart people so they can tell us what to do.” -Steve Jobs.
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Mary Kay Cabot also just reported Mangini has been fired.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Just heard it..dude is OUT.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
It's official. Browns have sent out the press release.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Just heard it too, he's done. Good riddance.

We're... we're good?
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Man, I don't know how I feel about this. Mangini brought some much needed discipline to this team andI crave consistency.

“It doesn't make sense to hire smart people and tell them what to do; we hire smart people so they can tell us what to do.” -Steve Jobs.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Hopefully The Walrus knows what he is doing. Bring on the nepotism!

B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
Finally!

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Anyone think Mangini would make a good college HC?

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Thanks for the link.

K
1st String
1st String
K
From the main site:

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/arti...ab-39b7071c4762

Browns make coaching change

Posted 10 minutes ago

* a
* a

Team president Mike Holmgren has relieved Eric Mangini of his head coaching duties, the team announced Monday morning.

Eric Mangini was relieved of his duties as head coach of the Cleveland Browns today, the team announced.

“This decision was not easy for me, and it was one into which I put a great deal of thought,” said Browns President Mike Holmgren. “Although we have made improvements this season, my responsibility is to ensure that we establish a program that will allow this team to compete at a championship level. That will continue to be our goal in everything we do. I want to thank Eric for all of his contributions to the Cleveland Browns, and wish him and his family the best of luck in the future.”

“The experience coaching the Cleveland Browns the past two years has been tremendous,” Mangini said. “I appreciate the opportunity that the Lerner family gave me. I have a deep respect for the players that I have coached the past two years and how they have made a profound difference in changing the culture - a tougher, smarter, more competitive, selfless team that never gave up. Our goal was to build a team for long term success. The core characteristics we were dedicated to, I believe, will help achieve that goal, and have provided a strong identity for this football team and have helped to create a positive foundation upon which the organization can continue to build.

“I feel strongly that the Cleveland Browns are headed in a very positive direction and greatly value the commitment and exceptional efforts of the coaches, players and everyone in the building that I’ve worked with in trying to help achieve our goals. My family and I have thoroughly enjoyed living in the Cleveland community and appreciate the support and passion of the fans. I know Mike and Tom are also dedicated to building a championship caliber organization and wish them nothing but success.”

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Quote:

There were rumors after Edsell left that UCONN would be interested in him. He is originally from Connecticut.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Here we go again. He sealed his fate with the terrible 09 draft and hiring of Brian Daboll.

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2011/01/cleveland_browns_fire_eric_man.html

Cleveland Browns fire Eric Mangini as coach after second 5-11 season
By: Tony Grossi, The Plain Dealer

BEREA, Ohio -- The Eric Mangini Era is over after two seasons of 5-11 records.

The Browns coach was fired this morning in a meeting with President Mike Holmgren. He had two years remaining on his contract at an average salary of about $3.9 million, according to previous reports.

Unlike a year ago, when Holmgren met with Mangini over a few days to decide his fate, this inquisition didn't take long.

Two NFL sources speculated that Holmgren himself would take over as coach, returning to the sideline for the first time since he left as Seattle coach following the 2008 season. It's possible that he would seek to retain defensive coordinator Rob Ryan and special teams coordinator Brad Seely.

Holmgren took a one-year sabbatical from coaching in 2009 and then was lured to the executive suite as Browns president on Jan. 5, 2010. Prior to formally accepting the job, Holmgren said in a radio interview that coaching the team was an option welcomed by owner Randy Lerner if Holmgren so desired.

Holmgren opted not to coach in 2010, instead focusing on rebuilding the Browns' football and business operations. He reduced Mangini's authority but brought him back to coach despite well-known differences in football philosophy. Those differences -- most notably on offense -- widened in the one year they worked together. While Holmgren acknowledged "his way" wasn't the only way to win, he often winced at and privately criticized the Mangini offense coordinated by Brian Daboll.

"This decision was not easy for me, and it was one into which I put a great deal of thought," said Holmgren. "Although we have made improvements this season, my responsibility is to ensure that we establish a program that will allow this team to compete at a championship level. That will continue to be our goal in everything we do. I want to thank Eric for all of his contributions to the Cleveland Browns, and wish him and his family the best of luck in the future."

"The experience coaching the Cleveland Browns the past two years has been tremendous," Mangini said. "I appreciate the opportunity that the Lerner family gave me. I have a deep respect for the players that I have coached the past two years and how they have made a profound difference in changing the culture - a tougher, smarter, more competitive, selfless team that never gave up. Our goal was to build a team for long term success. The core characteristics we were dedicated to, I believe, will help achieve that goal, and have provided a strong identity for this football team and have helped to create a positive foundation upon which the organization can continue to build.

"I feel strongly that the Cleveland Browns are headed in a very positive direction and greatly value the commitment and exceptional efforts of the coaches, players and everyone in the building that I’ve worked with in trying to help achieve our goals. My family and I have thoroughly enjoyed living in the Cleveland community and appreciate the support and passion of the fans. I know Mike and Tom are also dedicated to building a championship caliber organization and wish them nothing but success."

Holmgren tried to mentor Mangini and also offered the guidance of senior advisor Gil Haskell, his long-time offensive coordinator in Green Bay and Seattle, as a resource for Daboll. But Daboll at times seemed put off by the presence of Haskell, according to a team source. And the offensive product didn't improve. Holmgren was particularly critical of the passing game in his only public comments all season in November.

When Mangini failed to improve on his 2009 record, falling to 5-11 again with four season-ending losses, Holmgren decided to make a change. The emergence of rookie Colt McCoy as a potential franchise quarterback influenced Holmgren to consider the job himself.

If he moves to the sideline, Holmgren would install the West Coast-style offense he learned under Bill Walsh and employed in Green Bay to take the Packers to the playoffs six times in seven seasons as coach in the 1990s. They reached the Super Bowl following the 1996 and 1997 seasons, winning one of them against the Bill Parcells' New England Patriots. Holmgren moved on to Seattle for 10 seasons and took the Seahawks to the Super Bowl following the 2005 season. They lost to Pittsburgh.

Holmgren has always called the offensive plays as head coach. Haskell could serve again as his offensive coordinator. A source said that Holmgren would have an interest in adding UCLA offensive coordinator Norm Chow, with whom he once worked at Brigham Young University. Another possibility is Miami Dolphins receivers coach Karl Dorrell, said the source.

Mangini's .312 win percentage (10-22) ranked 11th among the 12 full-time coaches in Browns history. Only Chris Palmer, the first coach of their expansion era, did worse (5-27, .156). Mangini's immediate predecessor, Romeo Crennel, had a .375 mark (24-40) in four seasons.

Mangini's separate 5-11 seasons came about in different ways. In his first year, the Browns were a franchise-worst 1-11 before winning their last four games. That winning streak earned Mangini a second season.

Amid higher expectations boosted by several player acquisitions and a solid draft orchestrated by new General Manager Tom Heckert, the Browns proceeded to lose their first three games in 2010. They were 1-5 when they embarked on successive monumental upset wins over defending champion New Orleans (30-17) and future No. 1 AFC seed New England (34-14).

The season turned in an overtime loss to the New York Jets. The Browns lost three key players to injury in the game and had possession of the ball in the final minute of overtime with the score tied, 20-20. Instead of maintaining possession and settling for a tie, the Browns tried to move from their 2-yard line and wound up punting with less than a minute to go. The Jets won when Santonio Holmes scored a 36-yard touchdown with 16 seconds left in overtime.

That loss started a 2-6 tailspin. Included in that run was a 24-20 loss at Jacksonville despite seven defensive takeaways, a 13-6 loss to 2-10 Buffalo, and a 19-17 loss to 2-11 Cincinnati. In all, the Browns had seven losses by seven points or less.

Mangini was a surprise choice of Lerner when he was hired 11 days after being fired as coach of the New York Jets following the 2008 season. Mangini was 23-26 in three years with the Jets. His overall mark as a head coach was 33-48 (.407.)

After he concluded his second season with a 41-9 loss to Pittsburgh on Sunday, Mangini declined to say his plans if he were fired.

"I think that I just look at things and evaluate things," he said. "You learn from your mistakes, you learn from just the process. I feel lucky for the opportunity to continue to grow in this role and in this job and I think that will continue. In terms of what could happen, we'll have to see, but I am really happy with the things that I've been able to learn."

Legend
Legend
No one should be surprised, but I still feel bad. Mangini tried his hardest, IMO. Maybe just wasn't good enough.

I wish him all the best. I hope he catches on somewhere and has a ton of success (except when we play him).

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Check ya later Eric.

I liked you and hoped it would work out, but it wasn't meant to be and quite frankly it was mostly due to you and the abortion of a draft we had in 2009. Bottom line is it was fun to be a Browns fan about 3 times in 2 years... not good enough.

On to the next one...

"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"
GO ROCKETS
Legend
Legend
j/c,...So,...who's it going to be ?

Legend
Legend
I'm shocked. I guess laying an egg against Buffalo and Cincy were the big reasons....and then getting BLASTED at home against pittspuke didn't help.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Here we go again. He sealed his fate with the terrible 09 draft and hiring of Brian Daboll.

Daboll is the big one. Taking a young coordinator coming off a terrible year and retaining him and his bland offense, knowing your boss is an offensive guru and can see through the crap... bad, bad move.

We're... we're good?
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Adios Mangini

LET'S GO BROWNS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[Linked Image]
[b]WOOF WOOF[b]
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
If the choice for next coach is Holmgren, Fox, or Gruden, then we'll know soon. Probably as soon as we can satisfy the Rooney rule. If it's someone else, this could take several weeks of playoffs.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

“This decision was not easy for me, and it was one into which I put a great deal of thought,” said Browns President Mike Holmgren. “Although we have made improvements this season, my responsibility is to ensure that we establish a program that will allow this team to compete at a championship level. That will continue to be our goal in everything we do. I want to thank Eric for all of his contributions to the Cleveland Browns, and wish him and his family the best of luck in the future.”

This is all you need to know...he wants a HC that can manage talent and get us the necessary next steps...not only STeamers and fringe NFL talent overachievers

It took him 1 year longer than it should have but better late than never....good luck to Mangini, I just hope he doesn't end up as a DC somewhere because I feel he will fail at that too....I think College is the best fit for him if he wants to HC...that or ST Coach in the NFL

#gmstrong

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

The Views Expressed By Me Are Not Necessarily The Views That You Will Agree With, I'm In My Own Little World But They Know Me Here.
Legend
Legend
I feel bad for the guy. But it was going to happen, regardless.

This hammer shouldn't require too many nails,...hopefully we'll have a decent looking remodel. At least we don't have to rebuild from the ground up.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
The Merry Go Round of Misery continues.

We have an unquenchable thirst for firing coaches in this city.

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Quote:

The Merry Go Round of Misery continues.

We have an unquenchable thirst for firing coaches in this city.

I agree, but at least this one wasn't based on the clamoring of fans. MH saw something he didn't like and acted on it. The only fear I have is Holmgren coming down and coaching. I do NOT want that. We need him using his experience up top, not on the field.

Legend
Legend
While that seems to be the case, it's as much an unquenchable thirst for a winner, too.

Do we not have a winner because coaches keep getting fired ? There's a lot to that.

Did we ever have an organization built to sustain a coach ? There's a lot to that too.

Trust in Holmgren and see what happens. He's the boss. Take it or leave it. I'm gonna stay the course,...I trust you will too.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
OK...That's a bit overboard but whatever u think is cool...

Now it's time to get what Holmgren wants in here...Including the OC cause it's obvious Daboll is history also...Might need a DC also if Ryan goes elsewhere or is axed too...No biggie with him either...

If it's not Gruden or Fox QUICK...Then it's looking more and more like Morny...Can't touch him till Philly is ousted from playoffs...

We'll see...

This WILL NOT be a roster purge though people...WATCH...

Go Browns!!!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Daboll sealed it.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Quote:

The only fear I have is Holmgren coming down and coaching. I do NOT want that. We need him using his experience up top, not on the field.

I'm not in favor of him coaching either, however I am starting to doubt his abilities as president as well. The Delhomme debacale which he admitted was fully his decision, scares me. Just let Heckert run the personel side Mike and stay out of the draft room as well.

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
He was already a successful defensive coordinator. you think he would only make a good ST coach?? lol

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

F
All Pro
All Pro
F
Not too sure how to feel about this. I would prefer Jeff Fisher to John Gruden though.

And the next head coach is ......
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Mangini's .312 win percentage (10-22) ranked 11th among the 12 full-time coaches in Browns history. Only Chris Palmer, the first coach of their expansion era, did worse (5-27, .156). Mangini's immediate predecessor, Romeo Crennel, had a .375 mark (24-40) in four seasons.

#gmstrong

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Gruden will be the guy.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

This is all you need to know...he wants a HC that can manage talent and get us the necessary next steps...not only STeamers and fringe NFL talent overachievers

It took him 1 year longer than it should have but better late than never....good luck to Mangini, I just hope he doesn't end up as a DC somewhere because I feel he will fail at that too....I think College is the best fit for him if he wants to HC...that or ST Coach in the NFL

That comment (elsewhere) about UConn seems a good fit,...

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

From NFL

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81...P_headlines2col

NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora reports that Holmgren and the Browns have interest in Jon Gruden, but lack some of the offensive personnel Gruden desires, according to league sources.

Gruden loves owner Randy Lerner and Holmgren, but the job may not be a perfect fit in Gruden's mind.

Several league executives told La Canfora that John Fox will replace Mangini, with Denver Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy joining him as offensive coordinator.

#gmstrong

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

Actually he prob would...oddly enough...

[Linked Image from dcptest.com]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
thanks DJ, I'm at work and couldnt post a link and the story on this turd computer for some reason!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum ESPN reports mangini has been fired

Link Copied to Clipboard