R
Continue discussion here.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Cont from last thread.

Quote:

Eric Mangini was a good coach who got the most out of his players as well.

Highly debatable.

Especially when we start getting to Braylon and Jerome Harrison.

Quote:

I couldn't care less whether they're 1 to Tony Sparano on the charisma and emotion scale. That doesn't make you a good coach.

No it doesn't. However, a good coach has to inspire and drive the players to be better. He also has to be able to manage gameday as well, which is something Sparano couldn't do.

Quote:

Hell, if emotion and charisma meant anything as a head coach, the 49ers would have won that division.

This is where you lose me.

Charisma and emotion mean something, otherwise Bellyache never would have gotten fired and Mangini wouldn't have been fired twice.

It means something, it's just not everything. Just like being smart means something, but it's not everything.

Quote:

I still can't get over the people who wanted Mike Singletary as their coach because he wins the press conference.

Singletary was an idiot and over the top. However, I never saw the 49ers quit on him, nor did I see any lack of effort.

I'm not saying get a screamer, but don't get a statue either. A head coach has to have some sort of charisma and energy. Those are both things that great leaders have going for them.

So no, charisma and energy aren't the only things, but they are still important.

you had a good run Hank.
Legend
Legend
looks like Mularkey has canceled his interview with the BrownCos..

Link

not sure if he will reschedule or not though.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Heckert is gonna make the new coach look like a genius.

Legend
Legend
Gruden turned down a potential Miami job

Link

I would have taken Miami in a heartbeat... unless My HOMETEAM was available. ::hint hint::

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
I wonder if Gruden really wasn't interested or just had actual respect for the coach Miami STILL EMPLOYS . . .

Legend
Legend
LOL! I was thinking the same thing. I see all this stuff about Miami looking for a new coach, and I was thinking "wait, I didn't see that they even fired Sparano?"

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
"After firing coach Eric Mangini on Monday, Browns President Mike Holmgren said all of the team's assistants, including Ryan, are under contract for another year. Holmgren said he met with the assistants and plans to do the same Monday."....IF this information is accurate , I'd be SHOCKED ! ....IMHO Mangini performed his job as HC at least as well(A Relative term of course) as the rest of the coaching staff and he's gone , while they get another year ?....Assuming that the whole staff remains intact , I just can't see any QUALITY HC coming in here and agreeing to keep Mangini's Staff....This leads me to believe that the Gruden option has fallen through and that Holmgren will return to the sidelines in 2011(Assuming that we do indeed have a 2011 season)....IF so , what that says is that Holmgren , had do faith in Mangini's ability as HC , but felt that the Staff was sufficiently Talented enough to retain their positions....

The Mammal
Legend
Legend
my question is: If Holmgren hires himself as coach, then who would be able to fire him?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
or the new HC might want to say "oh yea, keep this guy but lose this guy" because there are some good coaches here. wouldnt have to fire all and then rehire some. would only have to fire a few. it actually leads me to believe he will have the new coach hired by monday, if anything.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

my question is: If Holmgren hires himself as coach, then who would be able to fire him?

Bernie Kosar

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Lerner

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Gruden turned down a potential Miami job

Link

I would have taken Miami in a heartbeat... unless My HOMETEAM was available. ::hint hint::

What's interesting is that the article says that they've spoken to Gruden and he rejected... So he sat for an interview and rejected any further discussion.

What's that mean, is he waiting for the Browns,, or is he stepping away from coaching this year?

Not that it's a surprise to anyone,, But if Cowher wants more power than the Dolphins are willing to give up,, he's never coming here...LOL

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Is anyone else kinda worried that almost EVERYONE on our list has previous connections with Holmgren?

he was supposedly casting a "wide net" but the wide net to this point involves...

mornhinweg...who played and coached for him
shurmer...whos uncle coached for him
mularkey...
fewell...
gruden...who was an assistant
john fox...

if im not mistaken...half of them have worked for him or relatives have...and all but 1 have the same agent? and the other is a rooney rule guy...

thats not a widely cast net...

and if you add cowher, ryan, mike mccoy, and holmgren himself...thats not a very wide cast net.

does that concern anyone else?

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
K
Rookie
Rookie
K
Quote:

Is anyone else kinda worried that almost EVERYONE on our list has previous connections with Holmgren?

he was supposedly casting a "wide net" but the wide net to this point involves...

mularkey...
fewell...
john fox...

if im not mistaken...half of them have worked for him or relatives have...and all but 1 have the same agent? and the other is a rooney rule guy...

thats not a widely cast net...

and if you add cowher, ryan, mike mccoy, and holmgren himself...thats not a very wide cast net.

does that concern anyone else?

Yes it does. I'm hoping he's just waiting for some teams to finish up in the playoffs and biding his time but I doubt it.

Legend
Legend
God.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
H
1st String
1st String
H
Quote:

mularkey...
fewell...
john fox...

You have a valid point, but I think most of your list is pure speculation. Most of the people on that list are the people the talking heads threw out because there was a connection. These are not the Confirmed interviews or statements from the browns but speculation by writers trying to look at connections.

The list of confirmed contacts as far as I can tell is

Holmgren Guys

Mularky Confirmed Interview Saturday
Shurmer Confirmed Interview Wednesday
Perry Fewell - Interview requested

Non Holmgren Relation

harbaugh - Turned down request for interview

I think that you could be on to something, but when all we have to go on is the musings of the press, it is a little premature to connect the dots.

So far I see lots of speculation from writers and most of them are throwing out people who have ties to holmgren as logical choices. So the net is going to look very narrow.

N
Legend
Legend
N
as noted this is all speculation, so we don't know how widely this net is cast.

but, even so, the guys he is going to get the best intel on are guys who he either worked with or who worked with guys he knows. he can find a ton more 'real' information about someone from Reid or Mariucci than he can ever find out in an interview.

i'd rather he be sure about someone than just get wowed in an interview.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

God.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

With everyone screaming about continuity, there it is, built right in.

#GMSTRONG
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

"After firing coach Eric Mangini on Monday, Browns President Mike Holmgren said all of the team's assistants, including Ryan, are under contract for another year. Holmgren said he met with the assistants and plans to do the same Monday."....IF this information is accurate , I'd be SHOCKED ! ....IMHO Mangini performed his job as HC at least as well(A Relative term of course) as the rest of the coaching staff and he's gone , while they get another year ?....Assuming that the whole staff remains intact , I just can't see any QUALITY HC coming in here and agreeing to keep Mangini's Staff....This leads me to believe that the Gruden option has fallen through and that Holmgren will return to the sidelines in 2011(Assuming that we do indeed have a 2011 season)....IF so , what that says is that Holmgren , had do faith in Mangini's ability as HC , but felt that the Staff was sufficiently Talented enough to retain their positions....

Just because they are still under contract, that doesn't mean they'll be retained. If the new HC wants to keep any of these guys, they are already under contract. If we let them go and the new HC wants them, we're fighting for them like everyone else is.

This has nothing to do with the staff being sufficiently talented enough to retain their positions...yet.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
kingsteve...will you just stop?

...Stop with the "half of them have worked for him or relatives have...and all but 1 have the same agent".

...Stop with the, "thats not a widely cast net"

When you have been in Pro Football as long as Holmgren, you are going to have a lot of connections to other coaches who have crossed paths with or who have worked with Holmgren.

steve...you say "gruden...who was an assistant"...I guess that means Gruden is not on your list, right?

steve...it is ridiculous that you are more concerned about who has what agent and if any of the coaching candidates had connections with Holmgren in the past.

Forget the individual qualification of any of the candidates...you want to know who their agent is...that's crazy.

Also, concerning the "wide net" Holmgren talked about...I do believe he is talking about his opinion of what a wide net is...NOT YOUR OPINION OF WHAT A WIDE NET IS...ya think?

Why the crazy agenda?

Why not set back and let the man do his job instead whining about how wide the net is, who the agent is or if the candidates have past connections to Holmgren?

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

With everyone screaming about continuity, there it is, built right in.

The owner.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

kingsteve...will you just stop?

...Stop with the "half of them have worked for him or relatives have...and all but 1 have the same agent".

...Stop with the, "thats not a widely cast net"

When you have been in Pro Football as long as Holmgren, you are going to have a lot of connections to other coaches who have crossed paths with or who have worked with Holmgren.

steve...you say "gruden...who was an assistant"...I guess that means Gruden is not on your list, right?

steve...it is ridiculous that you are more concerned about who has what agent and if any of the coaching candidates had connections with Holmgren in the past.

Forget the individual qualification of any of the candidates...you want to know who their agent is...that's crazy.

Also, concerning the "wide net" Holmgren talked about...I do believe he is talking about his opinion of what a wide net is...NOT YOUR OPINION OF WHAT A WIDE NET IS...ya think?

Why the crazy agenda?

Why not set back and let the man do his job instead whining about how wide the net is, who the agent is or if the candidates have past connections to Holmgren?

+1

#brownsgoodkarma
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Thought this article belonged in here.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2011/01/jon_grudens_dad_thinks_clevela.html

Jon Gruden's dad thinks Cleveland Browns would be a good fit for his son - if he's ready to return
By: Tony Grossi

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The Browns’ coaching job is a great fit for Jon Gruden, but he doesn’t know if he wants to return to coaching just yet.

That’s the opinion of one of Gruden’s closest friends — his father.

Jim Gruden, 73, said he hasn’t talked to Jon, the middle of his three sons, directly about the Browns’ job opening. But the topic may come up when they play golf on Friday.

"One day he’s up (about returning to coaching) and one day he’s thinking something else," Jim Gruden said, speaking from his home in Tampa, Fla. "I tell him, ’You’re a big boy now, just do what makes you happy.’ He really has a good deal (with ESPN) and my understanding is he’s pretty well thought of on television. He’s getting paid one more year by the Buccaneers.

"As far as what he’s thinking, he’s got a problem because his son’s (going to be) a senior in high school, playing quarterback and linebacker. He loves watching him play. He helps coach the team. And I just don’t know where he is right now. I don’t know what he’s thinking."

Jim Gruden, a native of Ohio who attended Orange High School and lived in Solon, was a big Browns fan. Like most fathers of the Paul Brown era, he passed that passion on to his sons. He remembers Jon wearing a No. 44 Browns jersey of his favorite player, Leroy Kelly, and "sliding around in the mud and bringing the mud inside the house."

Besides the opportunity to coach the team he grew up rooting for, Gruden also has a long relationship with Browns President Mike Holmgren.

Jim Gruden was a 49ers college scout when Holmgren was the team’s offensive coordinator. Holmgren hired Jon for what later was termed "quality control coach." One of Jon’s first projects for Holmgren was to devise a program to store Holmgren’s offensive playbook on computer.

"Jon didn’t know anything about computers, but he hired some guy from Silicon Valley to teach him all about them," Jim said. "When Mike came back from vacation, Jon had the whole offense on computer disks and set up a program that a lot of teams started to use.

"When Mike got the (head coach) job in Green Bay, Jon was at University of Pittsburgh and Mike called him and said, ’Make sure you bring those disks with you.’ They have a great relationship.

"There’s a lot of things there that are perfect for him. It starts with the front office. You’ve got to be careful in this league anymore to look at the way the front office is operating. You’ve got a guy like Mike, who really is the one that brought Jon into the league. He thinks as highly of Mike Holmgren as anybody.

"Yes, the Cleveland Browns are a great fit. That was his favorite team as a kid and he knows it was his dad’s favorite team, too. But whether he wants to get back into the rat race, I don’t know. Because it is a rat race. A lot of hours and every year in the fishbowl. He did that for 11 years as a head coach, and three more as an assistant in Philadelphia."

Jim Gruden said his son still has the coaching bug.

"He’s been doing all these games for ESPN," Jim said. "He has a little office about a mile from his house and he goes in at about 3:30 every morning and watches film, just like he did when he was coaching."

Efforts to reach Gruden through ESPN have been unsuccessful. Gruden’s next assignment is on ESPN’s radio coverage of the BCS Championship game on Monday.

Holmgren said this week that he has not contacted Gruden about the Browns’ job. The Browns are not commenting on any potential candidate.

Gruden has been a head coach in Oakland and Tampa, but he espouses the style of offense necessary to win in the Midwest when the weather turns bad.

"He’s gonna run the ball, if that’s what you mean," his dad said. "But you’ve got to have a great quarterback, too. You’re not gonna win without one. You’ve got (Ben) Roethlisberger in Pittsburgh, (Joe) Flacco in Baltimore. He really likes your quarterback, I know that."

Gruden spent a lot of time with Colt McCoy prior to the 2010 draft for a popular ESPN series called "Gruden’s QB Camp." Holmgren consulted Gruden before the Browns drafted McCoy in the third round.

Legend
Legend
thx for posting that.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
im merely concerned...

im just hoping that he turns over every stone. and the agent thing...thats not as big of a thing for me...its just a connection style that says business over other things...thats not my biggest worry.

and mac dont get me wrong...im not really chastising him for his candidates. i think all of those candidates (barring mornhinweg who i really dont care for as a candidate) have a great chance of being successful.

However, i would like to hear about more names...i understand that we dont announce interviews unless they request permission to interview them. so there may be names were not hearing.

but i would like to hear that we're at least requesting to interview more names...

guys like Tom Cable, Brian Billick, Mike McCoy, Rob ryan, Brad Seely, Kirk Ferentz, Al Groh, Mike Sherman, and so on...i guess im just looking for diversity in the names. The more people you interview, and the more diverse clientele you interview...the more youre going to know what you want, and who is good, who is prepared, and who is ready to do a terrific job.

The agent thing...im not worried about it, it only concerns me because it sounds like business and money over jobs...because i dont care who agents are, but if every guy interviewed has the same agent...thats a problem.

i want to see:

coordinators...both offense and defense as well as ST
old coaches
college coaches
position coaches...

everything...

I dont like that the same names we want to interview the Panthers, 49ers, Broncos, and Miami are interviewing...with absolutely 0 different names...that seems uninspired

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

im merely concerned...

im just hoping that he turns over every stone. and the agent thing...thats not as big of a thing for me...its just a connection style that says business over other things...thats not my biggest worry.

and mac dont get me wrong...im not really chastising him for his candidates. i think all of those candidates (barring mornhinweg who i really dont care for as a candidate) have a great chance of being successful.

However, i would like to hear about more names...i understand that we dont announce interviews unless they request permission to interview them. so there may be names were not hearing.

but i would like to hear that we're at least requesting to interview more names...

guys like Tom Cable, Brian Billick, Mike McCoy, Rob ryan, Brad Seely, Kirk Ferentz, Al Groh, Mike Sherman, and so on...i guess im just looking for diversity in the names. The more people you interview, and the more diverse clientele you interview...the more youre going to know what you want, and who is good, who is prepared, and who is ready to do a terrific job.

The agent thing...im not worried about it, it only concerns me because it sounds like business and money over jobs...because i dont care who agents are, but if every guy interviewed has the same agent...thats a problem.

i want to see:

coordinators...both offense and defense as well as ST
old coaches
college coaches
position coaches...

everything...

I dont like that the same names we want to interview the Panthers, 49ers, Broncos, and Miami are interviewing...with absolutely 0 different names...that seems uninspired

Out of those names you listed I would love to talk to Billick....the rest not so much. I think Billick is a good coach and would do good things here...but he would probably want too much control and there is no way we give him more than the head coaching duties.

I am still on the Gruden wagon, I wanted him when we hired Mangini....now we have a better front office structure I think "Chucky" would be awesome here as head coach. Gruden or bust!

#brownsgoodkarma
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It may be now or never for Gruden to get back into coaching. This is a dream setup.

You have an owner who you are friends with and he isnt afraid to spend money to build a winner. Now throw in the fact that Holmgren and Heckert are running the show, two guys he knows very very well and they all believe in a similar philosophy. Throw in a QB that you recommended to H&H last year. Now all of this is with the team you grew up watching and cheering for.

He isn't going to find anything close to this setup. 49ers ownership and front office is a mess. The Miami situation of keeping a coach guessing as to whether or not he is fired is something that everyone will avoid. Carolina isn't about to spend the money to hire a big named coach. Dallas and Minn are filled. Denver doesn't seem to have any interest in him.

I want Ryan to be our HC but I still believe it is going to be Chucky. Some will like it some will loathe it but it is the direction we are on unless Gruden is done with coaching.

T
All Pro
All Pro
T
Solid point....Also , I have to wonder out loud....IF Not Gruden or Holmgren ....Who Do We Hire ?....I just don't see us hiring am inexperienced HC or an experienced HC who hasn't had SUCCESS in the NFL....

The Mammal
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I think Pat Schurmer may be the favorite.

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Quote:

Solid point....Also , I have to wonder out loud....IF Not Gruden or Holmgren ....Who Do We Hire ?....I just don't see us hiring am inexperienced HC or an experienced HC who hasn't had SUCCESS in the NFL....

Most likely a coordinator that plays for a team that is in the playoffs.

We're trying to throw the ball downfield and he checked the ball down to Trent Richardson and the Indians on the choice.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I honestly do not have a clue who the head guy will be......and I don't think there is any real favorites this time around. Holmgren will interview them all and then make a selection.........that could be Chucky, either of the MMs, Fox, or an obscure OC candidate that none of us have never heard of before...lol.

I don't feel Holmgren cares about HC experience really but rather finding a guy who he thinks will be here for a long time. This is as wide open as I've seen since rebirth really.......and I don't think we will see a quick resolution either. Holmgren will interview them all and then make a decision

Last edited by BigWillieStyle; 01/06/11 10:53 PM.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K

Been a long time peeps... here's what I got...

3 Reasons Jon Gruden Will NOT Coach in 2011

1.) He is still getting paid by Tampa Bay for one more year on top of what he makes at ESPN. Any NFL team that wanted to hire him would have to pay more than that. He'd be the highest paid coach in the NFL.

2.) Gruden's son is a senior in high school and Jon enjoys being able to watch him play football. Why would he give that up now when he could easily wait another year?

3.) According to the Grossi article, Gruden's dad said "one day he's up (about returning to coaching) and one day he's thinking about something else". In my opinion, being a Head Coach in the NFL isn't something you do if you have any doubts in your mind.

JMHO, there's NO WAY Jon Gruden is coaching ANYWHERE in 2011.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I think Pat Schurmer may be the favorite.

What makes you think that?

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

"One day he’s up (about returning to coaching) and one day he’s thinking something else,"

Oh yeah! Let's get this guy!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Quote:

"One day he’s up (about returning to coaching) and one day he’s thinking something else,"

Oh yeah! Let's get this guy!

I'm sure if he was coaching he would be pretty focused.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'll be very interested to see if they go with a new guy or a retread. Arguments can be made for both so we'll see what H&H decide on... will be interesting to say the least.

My fave though is that on DSN today some caller (Davie if you listen) said he didn't want a retread and then went on to sing the praises of Gruden and Fox... umm... huh?

[Linked Image from i45.tinypic.com]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Guys that I would like to see get an interview are:

Dom Capers - Currently DC of the GB Packers. He did a great job while with the Panthers. He runs an attacking 3-4 defense. Put in an OC that Holmgren likes (I cringe when I suggest this but Brad Childress perhaps) and I think we have the start of a winning coaching staff.

The other guy I like is Mike Munchak currently O-line coach with the Titans. He may not quite be ready to be a head coach but I would like to see how he interviewed. He would definitely need both an OC and DC with at least coordinator experience but preferably at least 1 with prior head coaching experience.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Russ Grimm needs to be checked out.He's been interviewd time and again for jobs. No glitz or glam with him, a real blue collar guy.

Shurmers the frontrunner I think. Holmgren stated he wanted a younger guy whose able to stay a while. Heck, he can groom a coach just like he can groom a QB.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Head Coach Interviews (Cont'd)

Link Copied to Clipboard